Stage tricks and theatrics!

froggy7384froggy7384 Unsigned
edited January 2009 in Rock Band
I'm entering a Rock band contest Saturday for charity. The winner is determined by a real-live crowd, not how well you score or what difficulty you play on.

So! I need your help! Does anyone have any cool stage tricks and theatrics my band can do to win over the crowd?

What I've got so far:
Guitar:
  • Guitar/Bass switch halfway through the song by throwing their guitars to each other
  • Power slides!
  • Activate drum's Overdrive by hitting the cymbal with the neck/head of the guitar
  • Playing behind your head/with your teeth
Vocals:
  • The classic swinging-the-mic-on-the-cord
  • Whammy someone's guitar with your teeth
  • General hardcore dancing
  • Piggyback a guitarist/sit on their shoulders
Drums:
  • Spin on the seat!
  • Stand
  • Headbutt a drum for a big note or to activate Overdrive
  • Running around the drums during the Big Rock Ending
  • Tossing drumsticks!
  • Dropping drumsticks for a killer impromptu bongo solo
Any more to add to the list?

Comments

• mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    The Pete Townshend Windmill for guitar!!!!

(In case you don't know, Pete Townshend is the guitarist for The Who)

Guitar/Bass switch halfway through the song by throwing their guitars to each other" that would be awesome! Need to see video of it though!

• RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Bassist:
    *Upstrum throughout the entire song.
    *If "Epic" is played, the bassist should slap the strum bar instead of strumming it.
    *Have the bassist (or vice versa) slide underneath the guitarist's legs, 80s hair metal-style.

Guitarist:
    *The Johnny Ramone buzzsaw technique, especially when playing chords.
    *Pretend to bend the notes by pressing your finger against the fretboard whenever you play sustains.
    *There is no such thing as too much whammy.

Drummer:
    *Play with one drum stick, a la Rick Allen.

The Whole Band:
    *Contribute backing vocals whenever appropriate (i.e. Orange Crush, Roxanne, Welcome Home, etc.). Just don't let the drummer sing. :D
  • SojaSoja Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Load the drums with explosives, a la Keith Moon, to blow them up at the end of the performance.
  • MrBrownstain420MrBrownstain420 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Drop the sticks midsong and play with kitchen utensils, spatulas are my fav.
  • TronageTronage Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Have the crew set up some pyrotechnics, but then not tell you exactly where they are, or when they will go off. Then just stand on one and set yourself on fire, al la James Hetfield... That will guarentee a sure win!!

Also at the end of your song, grab your guitar/bass by the neck, swing it around, and smash it to the floor, while the drummer knocks over his kit, and the singer flings his mic.

On a serious note, I'd get impressed if several times through a song, the entire band swaped instuments.

Or another one that would be cool is if the guitar/bass came over to the mic and started singing, while the singer played the instrument (still hanging around original person's neck). Like when you stand behind someone, and put your arms out under the person in front of you's armpits. So it looks like they have 4 arms, 2 holding mic, and 2 playing the instrument.

Or just follow some of these moves from Back to the future, around 1:25 on the slider:

Good luck!
  • shadebugshadebug Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    ou need to do the side run. You know, where you lay on your side and run round in circles
  • froggy7384froggy7384 Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Oh man, some of these are really good ideas. My roommate had a good idea, which is that if there's a song with a long break, like Foreplay/Long Time or Won't Get Fooled Again, the whole band just takes out sandwiches and starts eating them.

But I'm definitely doing some of the moves from the Back To The Future video. I'm also thinking of making out with the bassist (my girlfriend) during a solo or something.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited April 2008
    if you can afford it i'd suggest during the BRE destroy your equipment... and when i say destroy i mean DESTROY! like bring a sledge hammer to the show and use it some how some way
  • shadebugshadebug Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    on that note, make a bass drum to fit on your drum kit and put one of the guitars through it at the end
  • obnoxious_xbobnoxious_xb Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Pete Townshend guitar smash. You'll win. period. :cool:
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited April 2008
    i'd suggest you get this filmed somehow someway... it'll be a hit on teh youtubes
  • froggy7384froggy7384 Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Alright, I'm not allowed to destroy the instruments, they're not mine. The fake bass drum is a pretty good idea...how would I make that?
  • CharronCharron Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    If you do Orange Crush, you have to do what Stipe does and sing through a megaphone.
  • Berzerker48134Berzerker48134 Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    froggy7384;489346 said:
    I'm also thinking of making out with the bassist (my girlfriend) during a solo or something.
    I was thinking about that too....after the show though :p
  • jjlee138jjlee138 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Playing the bass like Flea is a must.

• R4di4ti0nR4di4ti0n Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    get drunk and urinate on the singer/guitarist.

Id vote for that for a win
  • MushroomMushroom Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Guitarist: At the end of the song, drop to your knees and pretend to burn the guitar a la Hendrix. Try to watch a video of it so you can nail his "charming the flames" hands. Always goes down well.

Guitar and Bass: Stand right next to each other and headbang, moving the guitars in time to the music. Hair Metal style.

Vocals: Get the guitarist and bassist to come over and sing with you, Hair Metal Style.
    Activate drummer's overdrive by drumming the cymbal with the mic.

Drums: Multiple sets of Drum Sticks so they can throw the sticks into the air without worrying about not having sticks.

Whole Band: COSTUMES (I suggest Hair Metal wigs)
  • lucifer vandrosslucifer vandross Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Singer: Durring clap parts dance and do the hits on anything you can think of. Your hip and ass are good, but don't limit yourself. Own it!!!. On reaper have a real cowbell.

durring any sort of break (a good example is on "move along" when the little kids are singing) climb on something, prepare to jump off with the first note. Play up to the audience as much as possible. Especially good for the guitar and bass.

Outlandish, stupid costumes will get you remembered, especially if it comes down to a tie breaker and you look all crazy and you are against people in street clothes.

I would say high energy and don't be afraid to move around. Put it a peg lower than you normally play to keep it going.
  • WeirdsandwichWeirdsandwich Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    crap your pants, literally. no one will see it coming or want to but the laughs will ensue.
  • JJStylesJJStyles Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    You definitely need costumes. A friend of mine competes in a weekly contest at a local bar. Her band usually comes in 1st place, sometimes 2nd. They always wear costumes and always switch instruments at some point in the song. The singer switches with the bass and the drummer switches with the guitar. They all play on Expert also.

The other week, they did Sabotage and dressed up like the characters from the music video. They wore shirts and ties, had police badges, wigs, fake mustaches, and sunglasses. Here's a video. The sound quality isn't that great, but you get the general idea of how they play to the crowd.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=31413328
  • dady5000dady5000 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    froggy7384;489346 said:
    I'm also thinking of making out with the bassist (my girlfriend) during a solo or something.
    DO IT.

That will be an Insta-Win.

Make sure you get a video of this competition. :D
  • darkangeldarkangel Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    froggy7384;489346 said:
    Oh man, some of these are really good ideas. My roommate had a good idea, which is that if there's a song with a long break, like Foreplay/Long Time or Won't Get Fooled Again, the whole band just takes out sandwiches and starts eating them.
    Holy crap, that was funny.
    froggy7384;489346 said:

But I'm definitely doing some of the moves from the Back To The Future video. I'm also thinking of making out with the bassist (my girlfriend) during a solo or something.
    That would actually be funnier if your bassist was a guy, esp if he was *** and had to feel rejected when he found out it was just for the show :p

For real though, how about the guitar swing ?

• chillzatlchillzatl Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    flipping the guitar over your shoulder and around your back (has to be wireless) ala Steve Via (and many others) is a nice one. Just make sure your strap doesn't pop off and send the thing flying... it happens.....

oh yah, just like the above video, I've always done it neck first though, not body first.
  • JJStylesJJStyles Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    chillzatl;491602 said:
    flipping the guitar over your shoulder and around your back (has to be wireless) ala Steve Via (and many others) is a nice one. Just make sure your strap doesn't pop off and send the thing flying... it happens.....

oh yah, just like the above video, I've always done it neck first though, not body first.
    Check out the video I posted above. They do that too.
  • R4di4ti0nR4di4ti0n Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Make sure your drummer stands on his stool, and spins around while drumming on his butt before the show starts. It LOL and totally sets a GREAT mood for the crowd.
  • darkangeldarkangel Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    I like the "crap you pants" idea. that is true dedication to your showmanship. :p
  • orange_blackorange_black Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    group visual.

after you've finished your song.... (assuming singer has a mic stand)... everything does the lick.... like a long, juicy, tasty lick :)

Drummer licks his drumsticks
    guitar/bass licks their guitar necks
    singer licks the mic stand.

:)
  • GajkasGajkas Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    everything with the teeth is disgusting and not funny at all you will only embarase yourself and look like a reetard if you do that, same with the stupid kiss your girlfriend idea, maybe if the bassist was your dad or somethingthen it wouldnt be so stupid and ***.

i also think something the audience would think it was a cool stage trick is if the singer brought a pan that he could hit himself in the head with during the parts that he has nothing to sing
  • Physic4lGr4fitiPhysic4lGr4fiti Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Did anybody understand what the hell the guy above me is saying? Honestly it's like trying to read a five year olds writing. Powerslides are inevitable but the coolest thing to do by far is

If it's during a solo or something without any vocals, have the vocalists play the fretbuttons while the guitarist continues to strum. THis is like what dragonforce does pretty much, its pretty badass.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited April 2008
    Guitar-
    Classic Rock: Angus Young Walk, Scissor kicks, Guitar behind your head, slide like Pete Townsend, wind mill.
    Punk: Don't be afraid to bring the pain to the instruments, go crazy nothing says punk like anarchy
    Metal: Head Bang, make cool gestures during solos
    Softer Songs: Get into the rhythm, don't go crazy
    General: NO solo frets, have fun with it, give the crowd what they want don't try and steal the show but showing off is all good try to provide backing vocals when fit

Bass: Tip WATCH LES CLAYPOOL AND PRIMUS VIDEOS, Upstrum and slap no normal strumming unless you're playing Metallica
    Try to provide backing vocals when appropriate

Drummers: GET INTO THE SONG, don't be afraid to hurt the equipment, MAKE YOUR FILLS SOUND AS GREAT AS POSSIBLE, no double hit spam. Practice drum stick twirling, get the crowd into the song, do the "louder" arm gesture etc.

Vocalists: Next to guitarists, you're being the most payed attention to the show is pretty much up to get, get the crowd into the song, GET into the singing make it feel authentic.

If you want I can post some nonesense videos of these tricks. AHH screw it, I'll make a couple and post here