Judas Priest vs. Iron Maiden

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited April 2008 in History of Rock
Ok, there are lots of threads with "who is the better band" themes. Now, how about we break them down. Who has the better bass, drums, vocals, and guitar?

(Note: I am going with the 1980 lineup of Priest and the 1982 lineup of Maiden)

Judas Priest

One of the leaders of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Starting back in 1968, but achieving much success in the late sevenites, esp. with albums Hell Bent for Leather in 1978, and British Steel in 1980. They influenced a lot of 80s metal bands, and dominated metal clubs in the early 80s. After losing original vocalist Rob Halford in the end of the 90s, they got Tim the Ripper Owens and released two albums while Halford came out the closet and came back into the lineup in 2005.

Rob Halford - Vocals
K.K. Downing - Guitar
Glenn Tipton - Guitar
Ian Hill - Bass
Dave Holland - Drums

Iron Maiden

The band formed in 1975. They rose to popularity in the late 70s, and hit international success in the 1980s. Often considered one of the most influential metal bands today. Scott Ian of Anthrax said that when he first heard them, they were "More evil than Priest". The band, unlike Priest, never had much radio airplay. They did accumulate a massive cult following, and it continues to grow today.

Bruce Dickinson – Vocals
Dave Murray – Guitar
Adrian Smith – Guitar
Steve Harris – Bass
Clive Burr – Drums

Ok, now vote for who is the better of the musicians in their respected categories (DO NOT CLICK THEM ALL)

Vocals:
Rob Halford - Judas Priest
Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden

Guitars:
Downing/Tipton - Judas Priest
Murray/Smith - Iron Maiden

Rhythym Section:
Hill (Bass) Holland (Drums) - Judas Priest
Harris (Bass) Burr (Drums) - Iron Maiden

Songwriting:
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden

and
Overall:
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden

Comments

• SteveoKnievoSteveoKnievo Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Maiden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't get me wrong, Priest is an awesome band. Maiden is just more my style.
  • SteelersFreak1SteelersFreak1 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Iron Maiden all the way through.
  • zDisturbedOnezzDisturbedOnez Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Maiden for the shut out. Cant stand Judas Priest, never have never will. There is nothing about Priest I like.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    And suddenly I'm back in 1987! heh I so remember this battle in high school, if you were a metal fan in the 80's you were either a Priest fan or a Maiden fan. You could like both but you had a preference of one over the other. Me , I like Maiden more. Always have. Up the Irons boyos!

As an aside I always that this duet happened a couple decades too late. This would have been huge had it happned back in the mid 80's

Rob Halford & Bruce Dickinson The One You Love To Hate

• frostywolffrostywolf Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Tough poll. I went with Maiden overall, but I'm still a bit uncertain about my decision, because Priest is an awesome band and they're definately not getting enough love here.

It seems like Halford has more range and does more interesting things with his voice in Priest songs, so I voted him over Dickinson.

I have to give the rhythm section to Maiden, since Steve Harris composed some pretty memorable bass riffs, imo, and I can't really remember any in Priest songs. And Clive is probably my favorite Maiden drummer, so I'm giving it to them.

The guitars are pretty close in my opinion, but I gave it to Maiden out of personal bias, they're pretty much equal in my book. I'd say they're close on song writing too, but since I find Maiden songs more memorable than Priest songs despite having a lesser vocalist, I gave it to them. I gave Maiden overall since they're more consistent than Priest.
  • ThallisThallis Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Maiden! Priest is awesome, but nothing compares to Maiden.

Also, any album past Number of the Beast is drummed by Nicko McBrain.
  • zDisturbedOnezzDisturbedOnez Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    AxlVanHagar;502097 said:
    As an aside I always that this duet happened a couple decades too late. This would have been huge had it happned back in the mid 80's
    Do you remember the "Maidens Brave New World Tour?" It had Rob Halford, and Queensryche opening for Maiden. I went to the show but spent most of my time at the beer cart and merchandise table during Halford. My previous post about him sums it up. I enjoyed the show but the arena I saw them in was horrible. World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Worst sounding venue I have ever been to. But, Queensryche and Maiden tore it up actually got tickets 4 rows back middle section 3 days before the show :D
  • I_LOVE_HMXI_LOVE_HMX Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    EEEEKKKKKK, I can't vote, this is like choosing which child I love more, impossible.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    zDisturbedOnez;502186 said:
    Do you remember the "Maidens Brave New World Tour?" It had Rob Halford, and Queensryche opening for Maiden. I went to the show but spent most of my time at the beer cart and merchandise table during Halford. My previous post about him sums it up. I enjoyed the show but the arena I saw them in was horrible. World Arena in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Worst sounding venue I have ever been to. But, Queensryche and Maiden tore it up actually got tickets 4 rows back middle section 3 days before the show :D
    Yup I do remember that tour. Up here we didn't get Queensryche we had some sort of death metal band whose name escapes me. I remember Halford being really good and of course Maiden were amazing. Cuaght one of 'arry's wrist bands at that show.:D
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand why you go with Clive Burr as the drummer and then use Nicko's drumming in 4 out of the 5 clips.

Maiden across the board for me. I like Priest, but nowhere near as much.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Haha. Maiden wins in a landslide victory.

Don't get me wrong, I like Priest, but come one. Maiden is the greatest band ever. You can't beat them. I don't care who you are.