Official Battle of the Bands: Beatles vs. The Who

Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
edited April 2008 in History of Rock
[CENTER]The Beatles
The Beatles were a pop and rock group from Liverpool, England. They are one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed bands in the history of popular music. The band's principal members were John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr.

In the United Kingdom, The Beatles released more than 40 different singles, albums, and EPs that reached number one. This commercial success was repeated in many other countries; their record company, EMI, estimated that by 1985 they had sold over one billion records worldwide. The Beatles are the best-selling musical act of all time in the United States, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked The Beatles #1 on its list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. According to that same magazine, their innovative music and cultural impact helped define the 1960s and their influence on pop culture is still evident today.

The Beatles led the mid-1960s musical "British Invasion" into the United States. Although their initial musical style was rooted in 1950s rock and roll and homegrown skiffle, the group explored genres ranging from Tin Pan Alley to psychedelic rock. Their clothes, styles, and statements made them trend-setters, while their growing social awareness saw their influence extend into the social and cultural revolutions of the 1960s.
The Who
The Who are an English rock band that formed in 1964. The primary lineup consisted of Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle and Keith Moon. The band reached international success, became known for their award-winning live performances, are regarded as one of the most influential rock bands of the 1960s and 70s, and recognized as one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time.

The Who rose to fame in the United Kingdom with a pioneering instrument destruction stage show, as well as a series of top ten hit singles (including the celebrated "My Generation") and top five albums, beginning in 1965 with "I Can't Explain". They first hit the top ten in the USA in 1967 with "I Can See for Miles". The 1969 release of Tommy was the first in a series of top five albums for the group in the USA, followed by Live at Leeds (1970), Who's Next (1971), Quadrophenia (1973), and Who Are You (1978) among others.

Keith Moon died in 1978, after which the band released two more studio albums, the top five Face Dances (1981) and the top ten It's Hard (1982), with drummer Kenney Jones, before officially disbanding in 1983. They reformed on several occasions to perform at special events such as Live Aid and for reunion tours such as their 25th anniversary tour (1989) and the Quadrophenia revival tours of 1996 and 1997. In 2000, the three surviving original members began to discuss the possibility of recording an album of new material. These plans were delayed following the death of John Entwistle in 2002. Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey continue to perform as The Who. In 2006 they released the studio album Endless Wire, which reached the top ten in the USA and UK.
[/center]

Videos:
Come Together - The Beatles

Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles

Behind Blue Eyes - The Who

Substitute - The Who

Vote now!

Comments

• Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited April 2008
    I said that to be funny, Mr. Two away from 666 posts.

I vote John, Paul, George, Ringo, Derek Taylor, Neil Aspinall, George Martin, Tony Sheridan, Billy Preston, Jimmy Nicol, Wilfrid Brambell, Astrid Kirchherr, Jeff Lyne, Yoko Ono, Linda McCartney, Eric Clapton, Mahommed Ali, Stu Stutcliffe, Pete Best, fake Paul, Phil Spector, James Taylor and Brian Epstein.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited April 2008
    The good ole Beaties win this one.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    To me the who win musician-ship wise:

Roger Daltry>John Lennon
    John Entwistle > Paul McCartney
    Who's rythym section > beatles rythym section
    Keith Moon > Ringo Starr

However:

Whos songwriting = the beatles song writing (cant choose between the 2)
    George Harrison > Pete Townsend
  • SteelersFreak1SteelersFreak1 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Both bands are great, but I prefer the Beatles. Not a big fan of their early more pop like stuff, but from Help! on, its some of the greatest and the most influential music of all time.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;512231 said:

And I vote for the band with half it's members dead.
    That's sounds like about as good as any criterion that could be picked :D

I'm voting Beatles. Just too many amazing songs. And too many albums with no weak tracks, while for me even the very best Who albums have filler -- guess that's what happens when you have three of the best songwriters in one band, and one in the other. (Entwhistle writes a good song every once in a while, but no way he's one of the best. Pete clearly is.)
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Wow this is gonna be a close one

Of corse I go with the Who

I respect the Beatles emense musical talent and what they did for music. But I just love the pure rock that is the who. No other band has the energy and stage precense. The Beatles seemedto wrapped up in their own music to really perform. I just dident like alot of the beatles experimenting and tripy stuff.

In my room I have the "Who's Next" Album and "The White album" hanging up right next to each other

Dont Forget The beatles would never had wrote "Helter Skelter" if it wasen't for The Who

The beatles just don't have energy in their music
  • jasparjaspar Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;512259 said:
    I said that to be funny, Mr. Two away from 666 posts.

I vote John, Paul, George, Ringo, Derek Taylor, Neil Aspinall, George Martin, Tony Sheridan, Billy Preston, Jimmy Nicol, Wilfrid Brambell, Astrid Kirchherr, Jeff Lyne, Yoko Ono, Linda McCartney, Eric Clapton, Mahommed Ali, Stu Stutcliffe, Pete Best, fake Paul, Phil Spector, and James Taylor.
    You forgot Brian Epstein!

It has to be The Beatles. They put out an album every year that any band would be proud of, and they have sold more records than anyone else (even Garth Brooks!)

Even without considering the commercial success, they were massive cultural icons, musical pioneers, and had four great singers! (I'm looking at you, Pete Townshend)

That being said, I think The Who are great, just not on the same level as The Beatles
  • ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    I've never thought about these two bands going up against each other. Seems odd, I went with the Beatles though.
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    This wont even be close
    edited April 2008
    jaspar;512660 said:
    You forgot Brian Epstein!

It has to be The Beatles. They put out an album every year that any band would be proud of, and they have sold more records than anyone else (even Garth Brooks!)

Even without considering the commercial success, they were massive cultural icons, musical pioneers, and had four great singers! (I'm looking at you, Pete Townshend)

That being said, I think The Who are great, just not on the same level as The Beatles

D'oh!

Also, The Beeatles have 20 #1'S.

Ringo's not a good singer.
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited April 2008
    This is a hard one, but its obvious who im going with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf-Q2rDd6Tw
    edited April 2008
    Remember, if the final battle isn't Led Zeppelin vs. The Beatles, this tournament fails.

Added this to Archives.
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited April 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;512871 said:
    Remember, if the final battle isn't Led Zeppelin vs. The Beatles, this tournament fails.

Added this to Archives.
    Agreed^^ ..

By the way, ringo is an awesome singer man!
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Was never a fan of The Beatles. So The Who gets my vote. That being said I completely respect what The Beatles accomplished and what that they mean to rock and pop music. They are great at what they do, I'm just not a fan of what that is.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;512871 said:

Added this to Archives.
    I'd rather have Led Zeppelin v Pink Floyd as a final battle.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;513081 said:
    I'd rather have Led Zeppelin v Pink Floyd as a final battle.
    A huevo.

I generally don't listen to both of these bands.....but I'm going with The Who.
    Wait, thinking about it now, I like more Beatles songs than Who songs.
    Beatles.
    edited April 2008
    The sad part is that The beatles where more of a Pop band (and are still regarded as so) and their music is much more popular than a band who wasen't as full of publicity.

Even if it comes down to Led zep v. the beatles. the beatles are more likely to win (tho on these fourms there are alot of die hard led zep fans out there)

If it came down to Talent I think the Who Would be winning
  • partyboydanialpartyboydanial Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    The Who are more talented in everything except harmonizing, and song writing

but The Beatles songs are just better
    edited April 2008
    partyboydanial;513226 said:
    The Who are more talented in everything except harmonizing, and song writing

but The Beatles songs are just better
    Really? Well just because most who songs arent harmonized dosent mean they arent good at it.

haha moon is such a bad actor
    "The kids are Alright" the only song that I think the Beatles might have influenced them. but they harmonize on sever other of their earlier songs.

found this about 34 years latter in 2000 (Zac Starkey on drums!) Sry but no beatles song even comes close to the awesomness of this performance

edited April 2008
    When it comes to instruments, every member of The Who except George Harrison wins. But The Beatles are better songwriters.
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    I'm currently wearing a Beatles shirt and a Who belt buckle. However I defiantly have to go with the Beatles. There's some magic to their music that no other band has really ever matched. The Beatles are boss.
    edited April 2008
  • CML207CML207 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    I really thoguyht this one would be closer...I voted for The Who...I like both bands, but not crazy about either...II like more Who songs though...
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2008
    SteelersFreak1;512514 said:
    Both bands are great, but I prefer the Beatles. Not a big fan of their early more pop like stuff, but from Help! on, its some of the greatest and the most influential music of all time.
    As much as I hate to not vote for the Who, the quoted post says all I need to say about why I voted for the Beatles.
  • SteelersFreak1SteelersFreak1 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;513200 said:
    The sad part is that The beatles where more of a Pop band (and are still regarded as so) and their music is much more popular than a band who wasen't as full of publicity.

Even if it comes down to Led zep v. the beatles. the beatles are more likely to win (tho on these fourms there are alot of die hard led zep fans out there)

If it came down to Talent I think the Who Would be winning
    The Beatles stopped being a pop band by Sgt Pepper's and Sgt Pepper's on is, in my opinion, the best era of the Beatles. Not very pop like songs on Sgt Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Abbey Road, or Let It Be.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2008
    SteelersFreak1;515234 said:
    The Beatles stopped being a pop band by Sgt Pepper's and Sgt Pepper's on is, in my opinion, the best era of the Beatles. Not very pop like songs on Sgt Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Abbey Road, or Let It Be.
    Revolver is the first album that caught my ear...
  • PennsylvanianPennsylvanian Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    The Beatles do definitely get a bad rap from the BS hipster revisionists who denote artists' talents in order to look like they know about music. Even that being said, I prefer The Who. A lot of bands have some kind of combination of extremely talented members, but The Who easily had some of the best musicians in their respective fields, and they all seemed to meld together perfectly. Every part, from vocals, to bass, to guitar, to drums just seemed to perfectly complement one another. Also, while The Beatles overall had a more spiritual or philiosphical message to their lyrics, The Who did a lot more political stuff, which kind of helped appeal to me (again that's purely personal reasons). I put my vote for The Who based purely around talent, though I still have tremendous respect for The Beatles' repertoire.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;513241 said:
    Really? Well just because most who songs arent harmonized dosent mean they arent good at it.
    The Who are OK at harmonizing. The Beatles, esp. Paul, are great. Yes, the Who are better instrumentally, but for vocals and songwriting the Beatles have a strong edge. They were also a better live band than they are given credit for -- they stopped touring early at a time when sound systems couldn't compete with screaming girls but even in those early vids you could see they were a tight band.

• ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    I have immense respect for both bands. I'd say I'm possibly more of a fan of The Who in general terms but in terms of voting for talent, individual tracks, complete tenure, influence and social impact... I'm going to have to go for The Beatles.
    edited April 2008
    I should make a Wheatles vs. The Boo thread.