Alternative/Indie Masterthread (With links)

TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
edited October 2012 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Welcome to the Alternative/Indie Masterthread

[COLOR=White][SIZE=\"3\"]With the all the demand for alternative and indie in Rock Band, I thought it
might be good for there to be a place for general discussion of bands we like,
plus a list of amazing alternative bands all in one place, with links to their
specific threads too.

Feel free to post bands you love, your favorite songs, and links to
corresponding threads.
I will try to keep the first post updated with everything.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Bands with active threads:
[code][.]
!!!
...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
[A]
Arcade Fire
Arctic Monkeys
[B]
Battles
Bauhaus
Beck
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Bloc Party
Blur
Bright Eyes
Broken Social Scene
[C]
CAKE
Coldplay
The Cure
[D]
Death Cab for Cutie
The Decemberists
Dinosaur Jr.
Drive By Truckers
[E]
Editors
[F]
The Flaming Lips
Franz Ferdinand
The Fratellis
The Futureheads
[I]
Interpol
[J]
Joy Division
[K]
The Kaiser Chiefs
Kasabian
The Killers
Kings of Leon
[M]
Metric
Mew
MGMT
Modest Mouse
Muse
My Bloody Valentine
My Morning Jacket
[N]
The National
Neutral Milk Hotel
[O]
Oasis
Okkervil River
[P]
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Pavement
The Pillows
Placebo
[R]
The Raconteurs
Radiohead [The OK COMPUTER Thread]
R.E.M.
The Replacements
Rilo Kiley
[S]
Secret Machines
[URL="http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89590"]Sigur R

Comments

• SveppiSveppi Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    /brings the love

Great work. This shall now be our hub!
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Awesome. There is a Placebo thread out there too, and also some Coldplay threads.

Oh, and maybe you can linke the word "the Cure" in your post to my Cure thread? That would be great! :D
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Coldplayer;516978 said:
    Awesome. There is a Placebo thread out there too, and also some Coldplay threads.

Oh, and maybe you can linke the word "the Cure" in your post to my Cure thread? That would be great! :D
    Done. and Done.
    edited April 2008
    Awesome!

Too bad Snow Patrol doesn't have a thread yet. I'd love some Snow Patrol songs.

Signal Fire is one of my all time favourite songs. (If I remember right, I think I made a thread about this specific song once)

EDIT: BTW, I just noticed this thread misses Modest Mouse and Mew!! (Both have official threads!)
  • SveppiSveppi Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Coldplayer;517011 said:
    Awesome!

Too bad Snow Patrol doesn't have a thread yet. I'd love some Snow Patrol songs.

Signal Fire is one of my all time favourite songs. (If I remember right, I think I made a thread about this specific song once)

EDIT: BTW, I just noticed this thread misses Modest Mouse and Mew!! (Both have official threads!)
    Oh yes, Float On, World at Large & Dashboard would be an instant purchase for me :D
    edit: Signal Fire is also a beautiful song
    edited April 2008
    Modest mouse is in the list.

I'll get Mew in ASAP.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    edited April 2008
    No prob.

HMX definitely CAN'T IGNORE US now anymore. WAAAH! :eek: :D
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    good work. i would make sure make sure all these bands are also in the Thread of Threads only because that one is stickied.

only a few bands i'm not really down for, most i like, and there are a few i love.

idk about Muse being over Radiohead in order tho, i mean, c'mon...;)
    edited April 2008
    FatWilma;517065 said:
    good work. i would make sure make sure all these bands are also in the Thread of Threads only because that one is stickied.

only a few bands i'm not really down for, most i like, and there are a few i love.

idk about Muse being over Radiohead in order tho, i mean, c'mon...;)
    It is all alphabetical now, so no complaing! ;)

I used the Thread of Threads to get most of the links. Then I searched up threads that weren't on it.
    edited April 2008
    TakeABow;517077 said:
    It is all alphabetical now, so no complaing! ;)
    haha, i was kidding, i know this also kinda serves as u're wishlist thread, so i didn't want to impose.

now i might have to make a My Morning Jacket or Flaming Lips thread. also Wilco, !!!, and Secret Machines.
    edited April 2008
    FatWilma;517131 said:
    haha, i was kidding, i know this also kinda serves as u're wishlist thread, so i didn't want to impose.

now i might have to make a My Morning Jacket or Flaming Lips thread. also Wilco, !!!, and Secret Machines.
    Those bands belong on the list. I will try to find links for them.
    edited April 2008
    FatWilma;517065 said:
    This one should be sticky too. :p

BTW: Unfortunately there is no thread about them, but maybe you can add Stars to your list? Great band.
    edited April 2008
    Debaser_Hexx;517180 said:
    I'd love to see Battles, but I don't know if any of their songs would work. It's rare that they ever have all four of the main criteria for the game in one song. As much as I love them, I think they're a bit too progressive for the game. Radiohead is certainly a must, I'd definitely put them in over Muse. How would everyone feel about putting Fugazi in?
    I am not familiar with them. Post a video of something you would recommend!
    Coldplayer;517163 said:
    This one should be sticky too. :p

BTW: Unfortunately there is no thread about them, but maybe you can add Stars to your list? Great band.
    Thanks! I know of a UK band called Stars (but they were short lived in the 70's) Is there another one I should know about?
    edited April 2008
    oh Battles is AWEsome, would never be in rock band cause its instrumental.

Atlas

that song MAY work, it'd be quite a stretch.

imo, Fugazi would be a stretch for the "indie" genre...it's definitely alternative rock, but idk how general TakeABow is gonna be with this.
  • Debaser_HexxDebaser_Hexx Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTWSSCYUD4E

Pitchfork frequently ranks Fugazi as one of the top bands of the 90's. I don't know if they'd license anything for Rock Band, though, they're fiercely anti corporate. They only went through indie labels and made sure their records and shows had beneficial costs to fans ($5 each), so I think they'd be disappointed with the profit made off of their song. Still, this song would be great to have.
  • MinusTheBearMinusTheBear Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    edited April 2008
    TakeABow;517186 said:

Thanks! I know of a UK band called Stars (but they were short lived in the 70's) Is there another one I should know about?

Stars are a great band from Canada. They've been my favourite band for some time. Unfortunately their latest album turned out a little bit soppy.
    But the album "Set Yourself On Fire" is a masterpiece. Really.

Your Ex-Lover Is Dead

One More Night (Your Ex-Lover Remains Dead)

Ageless Beauty

Wow. Now that I listen to them again... They're really fantastic. :o
    Don't know how well they would work in Rockband though. Some songs definitely, but most of their stuff not, unfortunately.
    edited April 2008
    FatWilma;517190 said:
    oh Battles is AWEsome, would never be in rock band cause its instrumental.

Atlas

that song MAY work, it'd be quite a stretch.

imo, Fugazi would be a stretch for the "indie" label...
    Atlas has vocal-esque things I suppose. I was thinking if they got in, it would be instrumental, but something where the vocalist has to hum along with would be interesting.

Fugazi is Hardcore Punk, (I remember them now) and they tend to be a bit too screamo for my tastes. I also wouldn't call them indie either. They would go great in a punk list though. :)
    Coldplayer;517230 said:
    Stars are a great band from Canada. They've been my favourite band for some time. Unfortunately their latest album turned out a little bit soppy.
    But the album "Set Yourself On Fire" is a masterpiece. Really.

Wow. Now that I listen to them again... They're really fantastic.
    Don't know how well they would work in Rockband though. Some songs definitely, but most of their stuff not, unfortunately.
    Quality stuff. Right away I noticed the instrument selection is not ideal, but that could probably be worked around, especailly if they have a song with mainly guitar/bass.
    *added*
    edited April 2008
    Wilco - I'm the Man Who Loves You

CAKE - Commissioning A Symphony in C

Pavement - Rattled By the Rush

Just a few ideas...
    edited April 2008
    TakeABow;517236 said:

Quality stuff. Right away I noticed the instrument selection is not ideal, but that could probably be worked around, especailly if they have a song with mainly guitar/bass.
    *added*
    Thanks!
    You should really try to get Set Yourself On Fire, since you have an almost identical music taste to mine, I think you could really like it.
    In terms of songs that could work in Rockband, maybe "Window Bird". (even has a solo at the end!)

I would also like to suggest the band Naked Lunch (one of my fav bands at the moment) for you too, expecially the album "This Atom Heart Of Ours", but this band will never appear in Rockband, since they are too quiet and they are just a small band from Austria. But they are awesome. Really! Give them a listen.

Naked Lunch - Military of the Heart

Maybe you can still add them to the list, just because I think they deserve the mention. :p

EDIT: OMG, how could we forget Blur and Oasis!?? Okay, we have / will get both of them, but they still deserve a mention. At least Blur. Besides, I would like to see more Blur. Beeltebum is a great song though. Hope it's going to be released here soon.
    edited April 2008
    Debaser_Hexx;517309 said:
    Wilco - I'm the Man Who Loves You

CAKE - Commissioning A Symphony in C

Pavement - Rattled By the Rush

Just a few ideas...
    That is far and away my favorite CAKE song. It accounts for about 1/5 of my CAKE listens alone.

Put up links for Blur and Oasis.
    edited April 2008
    Put up links for Blur and Oasis.
    I'm happy that they decided to put Beetlebum up for DLC (and in the European version of the game). I'd prefer to see these in the game, which isn't too much of a stretch. I'm kind of lukewarm on Oasis (which already has 3 songs and another coming), they generally get picked before Blur, which I think is unfortunate. I guess it's because I favor Bowie and Mott The Hoople over the Beatles that I pick Blur over Oasis. These would be my picks:

Country House

Parklife

Coffee & TV

edited April 2008
    Debaser_Hexx;517503 said:
    I'm happy that they decided to put Beetlebum up for DLC (and in the European version of the game). I'd prefer to see these in the game, which isn't too much of a stretch. I'm kind of lukewarm on Oasis (which already has 3 songs and another coming), they generally get picked before Blur, which I think is unfortunate. I guess it's because I favor Bowie and Mott The Hoople over the Beatles that I pick Blur over Oasis. These would be my picks:
    I kinda wish they had put in Some Might Say, since it is my favorite Oasis song. I am pumped for what bands may be released starting after May 23rd, since quite alot of the stuff I like is British. I agree there has been too much Oasis so far, and not enough Radiohead. Not to mention all the bands we wish were in the game.
    edited April 2008
    Like I said, Beetlebum is really cool, but I'm a big fan of Think Tank, so I would like to have those songs:

Out of Time

Good Song

Battery In Your Leg (I love that song!!)

edited April 2008
    Here is one song I would love to play the drums for:

• chunkyponychunkypony Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Ummm....

RILO KILEY

(CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP)

there is a thread somewhere in that master thread of threads.

EDIT: got it: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20508
    edited April 2008
    chunkypony;519269 said:
    Ummm....

RILO KILEY

(CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP)

there is a thread somewhere in that master thread of threads.

EDIT: got it: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20508
    Thanks for the input!
  • supersonic1414supersonic1414 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    TakeABow;516909 said:
    With the all the demand for modern alternative in Rock Band, I thought it might be good for there to be a place for general discussion of bands we like, plus a list of amazing alternative bands all in one place, with links to their specific threads too.

The List:
    !!!
    The Arcade Fire
    Arctic Monkeys
    Battles
    Bloc Party
    Blur
    CAKE
    Coldplay
    Death Cab for Cutie
    The Flaming Lips
    Franz Ferdinand
    Interpol
    The Killers
    Kings of Leon
    MEW
    Modest Mouse
    Muse
    My Morning Jacket
    The National
    Oasis
    Placebo
    Radiohead
    -OK Computer full-Album-DLC
    Rilo Kiley
    Secret Machines
    The Shins
    Snow Patrol
    Spoon
    Stars
    The Strokes
    Wilco

I would like to keep this thread devoted to more modern artists (Although the fantastic bands like Joy Division / New Order and The Cure deserve a mention for being so influential) so try to stick with bands from the 90's and 00's

Feel free to post bands you love, your favorite songs, and links to corrosponding threads. I will try to keep the first post updated with everything.

Bands without links need your love! Make them threads!
    This is a great list,,,not a bad choice on it....I will add some more in this vein later today...

Oh, I disagree that there is too much Oasis...3 songs? Not nearly enough...Agree that 2 songs by radiohaed is not enough, though....I am sure more will come..
    edited April 2008
    supersonic1414;519558 said:
    This is a great list,,,not a bad choice on it....I will add some more in this vein later today...

Oh, I disagree that there is too much Oasis...3 songs? Not nearly enough...Agree that 2 songs by radiohaed is not enough, though....I am sure more will come..
    Thanks for the support (and your future contriubtions).
    edited April 2008
    supersonic1414;519558 said:

Oasis actually will have 4 songs soon. I don't mind more Oasis, but they should concentrate on giving us more Radiohead instead, or some of the other bands on this list.