Best Thrash Metal Band of the 80's.

ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
edited August 2008 in History of Rock
I don't really like Anthrax that much, but it seems like whenever thrash metal is discussed they have Anthrax on the list. (I guess they needed some east coast support.)

The quality on some of these videos aren't the best, but hey-what ya gonna do?
Metallica

Slayer

Megadeth

Anthrax

Comments

• ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Like I said, music journalism always talks about 4 main bands when talking about 80's thrash metal. There are a ton of other great bands, I was just going to use the ones that journalist talk about.
  • CEDRICtheFOETUSCEDRICtheFOETUS Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Close run thing, but Megadeth just edge Slayer for me.
  • fighting69thfighting69th Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Lots of love for Megadeth. Would have thought that Reign In Blood alone would secure Slayer.
  • gusano311gusano311 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    anthrax. john bush era
    object width="425" height="355">
    edited April 2008
    gusano311;527820 said:
    anthrax. john bush era
    object width="425" height="355">
    Not 80's. Bush was in Armored Saint in the 80's.
  • gusano311gusano311 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    my bad still vote for anthrax just cringe when belladona sings .
    edited April 2008
    I'm surprised Slayer isn't getting more votes. I mean, didn't a magazine say that Reign in Blood was the greatest thrash metal album ever? (And it may be too.)
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Zidane;529474 said:
    I'm surprised Slayer isn't getting more votes. I mean, didn't a magazine say that Reign in Blood was the greatest thrash metal album ever? (And it may be too.)
    Well that and Metallica's Master Of Puppets are regarded as the two definative thrash albums. I'm leaning towards Slayer since I admire Dave Lombardo. I still haven't voted.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Zidane;527591 said:
    Like I said, music journalism always talks about 4 main bands when talking about 80's thrash metal. There are a ton of other great bands, I was just going to use the ones that journalist talk about.
    I know they are more than just four great thrash bands but I haven't branched out into the thrash metal genre yet.
  • frostywolffrostywolf Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    I went with Megadeth though it certainly was a close call. "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?" and "So Far, So Good... So What" are some of my favorite thrash albums, so I had to go with them. Plus, Megadeth's best ("Rust in Peace") was released only 1 year short of the 1980s.

Tough call though. All of those bands are good in their own right and each has a classic album in the 80 (actually, most have about 2 80's classics).
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Metallica=Classic
    Megadeth=Great whenever the songs actually involve singing instead of talking
    Anthrax=Ok, but not really my taste
    Slayer=Garbage from every perspective, no particular skill (really folks, it ain't that hard to copy Kerry King) on any instrument (except drums, and even then, only with Lombardo) and a guy who can't sing. Their saving grace is having been involved with Dave Lombardo (who I really wish had stayed with Metallica back in 2004).
    edited April 2008
    TheCrimsonSaint;530005 said:
    Slayer=Garbage from every perspective, no particular skill (really folks, it ain't that hard to copy Kerry King) on any instrument (except drums, and even then, only with Lombardo) and a guy who can't sing. Their saving grace is having been involved with Dave Lombardo ....
    As much as I cringe reading this, I agree with you on two things. Dave Lombardo being their drummer and Jeff's/Kerry's solos.
    Nothing against Paul Bostaph, he's a extremely capable drummer(And I look forward to the new Testament album), but Lombardo IS Slayer. Bostaph could never play Seasons right, and he couldn't keep up with the rest of the band. They have to slow down for him.(Comparisons from War at the Warfield to Still Reigning shows Lombardo still has mad chops as 40+).
    Both Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King have mad riffing chops. Was Ensemble and Angel Of Death both prove that(and what makes them awesome), but when your soloing has become a cliche with guitarists, you're pretty bad. "Yo, bust a Kerry King solo!!!" followed by mindless noodling, or holding on to the whammy bar for dear life while hitting a harmonic.
    Tom Araya is the voice of Slayer. Is he great? God no. Would I want somebody else? God no. He is lazy bass player, but hey, he has Dave Lombardo to cover up his mistakes on bass.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2008
    What'sw ith only The Big 4 being on here?

Testament, Exodus, Annihilator, and a few others all deserve mention.
    edited April 2008
    Zidane;529474 said:
    That album is often hailed as the greatest double bass album.
    edited April 2008
    Ultimatum;530250 said:
    What'sw ith only The Big 4 being on here?

Testament, Exodus, Annihilator, and a few others all deserve mention.
    Read the rest of the thread.
    edited April 2008
    I did after I posted, but the point still stands, the big four weren't all Thrash had to offer, Testament and Annihilator both had heavy radio play back then and still receive decent air time today.
  • Hastyl3Hastyl3 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    People need to stop riding the Metallica band wagon since that's the only thrash band they've heard of. Megadeth FTW! BTW, My Last Words off of Peace Sells... is the best song evers
    edited April 2008
    Just FYI, Mustaine was an original member of Metallica.
  • ExodusExodus Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Id have to go with Exodus myself. But there were some awsome metal bands in the 80's.
    edited April 2008
    Did it ever occure to you that they're aware of other thrash bands, and that they choose to ride that Metallica wagon?

My Last Words is my favorite Megadeth tune BTW my good chum. Reeks of awesomeness.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    If time had stopped on Dec. 31st 1989 I'd go with Metallica.

Nowadays I'd lean towards Anthrax with Megadeth a notch above if I count RiP and Countdown.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited April 2008
    I really hope Megadeth comes through, amazing band

to me Metallica really wasn't anything fantastic in the 80s outside of MoP, I didn't really hear anything very mindblowing until the Black Album which is anything but thrash
  • zDisturbedOnezzDisturbedOnez Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Argggg tough one for me. Love all 4 bands on this poll, but after much consideration I went with Anthrax. Basically it was a decision based on my listening enjoyment in the 80's. Loved listening to them growing up and didnt really appreciate early Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer until the mid-90's. Growing up on the east coast and visiting my cousins in north jersey Anthrax was all the rage back then. So, I chose my sentimental favorite for kicks. But, Shredder sums it up for me!
    Shredder87;526326 said:
    If I had to choose one......I'd go with............Slayer? Wait, Metallica. Naw Megadeth!!!!! God damn it Testament!!!
    .....I hate this thread. Thrash is where my heart lies, and I can't just choose one band. I'm not voting.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Shredder87;530503 said:
    Did it ever occure to you that they're aware of other thrash bands, and that they choose to ride that Metallica wagon?

My Last Words is my favorite Megadeth tune BTW my good chum. Reeks of awesomeness.
    I actually chose Metallica not just because of what they did in the 80's (though even still I would have chosen them), but also based on the fact that they made one of the most drastic style changes in music history. In my eyes, ReLoad is probably their 2nd best album behind ...And Justice for All. When a band can play five different genres (thrash on the first three albums, melodic/thrash hybrid on AJfA, heavy metal on s/t, southern rock/metal on Load/ReLoad, and groove/thrash hybrid on St. Anger) and do all of them to nigh perfection, then that tells you something about the band members. Now, I know that I'm in the minority in liking post s/t stuff, just as I am in the minority about not liking Slayer, but those are my reasons. But, once again, even if limited to the 80's releases, Metallica still wins. And this is coming from a guy who hated Metallica not too long ago (just ask Shredder).
  • FrshChees91FrshChees91 Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Well even though Metallica only has one thrash album I went with them.

1. They're my favorite band :D
    2. They did great things for thrash.
    3. They made a sick album in Kill 'Em All \m/>_<\m/
    edited April 2008
    TheCrimsonSaint;530732 said:
    I actually chose Metallica not just because of what they did in the 80's (though even still I would have chosen them), but also based on the fact that they made one of the most drastic style changes in music history. In my eyes, ReLoad is probably their 2nd best album behind ...And Justice for All. When a band can play five different genres (thrash on the first three albums, melodic/thrash hybrid on AJfA, heavy metal on s/t, southern rock/metal on Load/ReLoad, and groove/thrash hybrid on St. Anger) and do all of them to nigh perfection, then that tells you something about the band members. Now, I know that I'm in the minority in liking post s/t stuff, just as I am in the minority about not liking Slayer, but those are my reasons. But, once again, even if limited to the 80's releases, Metallica still wins. And this is coming from a guy who hated Metallica not too long ago (just ask Shredder).
    Is that Nicko McBrain in your sig?

Or is it teh drummer that palyed on Number Of The Beast?
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited April 2008
    I voted 'Other'. While the Big Four are great, I prefer Accept, although only a few of their songs (like Fast as a Shark) would probably qualify as "real" thrash nowadays.

If I had to pick from the Big Four, however, I'd probably stick with Anthrax.
  • frostywolffrostywolf Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Ultimatum;531142 said:
    Is that Nicko McBrain in your sig?

Or is it teh drummer that palyed on Number Of The Beast?
    I think it's Clive Burr (the drummer on Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast).
    edited April 2008
    frostywolf;531316 said:
    I think it's Clive Burr (the drummer on Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast).
    EXTREMELY underrated drummer.

More to add about this debate:

Lombard is Slayer. King and Hanneman are fast and that is it. sloppy as hell live Tom Araya=horrible half-picking bassist and mediocre voice live. BUT, tell me they didn't scare the pants off of you when you first heard em? Metallica had the hooks, Slayer had the speed and scariness, Anthrax had fun and good riffs(even the stuff before ATL), and Megadeth was jsut trying to catch up with Metallica's success. I will say this for Mustaine, you can definitely tell by his playing on the first 3 MD records, the influence he had on early Metallica.
    edited April 2008
    Gonna add Coroner as a favorite of mine from the 80's. BRILLIANT musicianship and played very good live for a trio. Check the solo: