90's One Hit Wonders 04 (Dishwala, The Refreshments, Silverchair)

screwtopscrewtop Rising Star
edited April 2008 in Your Ultimate Setlist
Counting Blue Cars and Banditos have shown up quite a bit in peep's 1-hit wonders list. I actually like Silverchair, and they did have a couple of songs on the radio, but they will forever be known for Tomorrow. Did you know that they were in high school when that song came out? Crazy.

Counting Blue Cars by Dishwalla:

Banditos by The Refreshments:

Tomorrow by Silverchair:

Comments

• TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    You realize that Silverchair is still playing, and still making great songs?

Since the release of Young Modern (2007)
    "Straight Lines". "Reflections of a Sound", "If You Keep Losing Sleep", and "Mind Reader", were subsequently released as singles.
    Young Modern became the fifth Silverchair album to top the ARIA Albums chart. "Straight Lines" also became the band's third #1 single in Australia.
    The album and song each won three awards at the 2007 ARIA Awards.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited April 2008
    the refreshments also have the king of the hill theme song
  • maskofskinmaskofskin Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Tripping Daisy - "I Got a Girl"
    Jimmy's Chicken Shack - "High" (Don't remember if this was 90s or not)
    Veruca Salt - "Seether"
  • screwtopscrewtop Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    TakeABow;528023 said:
    You realize that Silverchair is still playing, and still making great songs?

Since the release of Young Modern (2007)
    "Straight Lines". "Reflections of a Sound", "If You Keep Losing Sleep", and "Mind Reader", were subsequently released as singles.
    Young Modern became the fifth Silverchair album to top the ARIA Albums chart. "Straight Lines" also became the band's third #1 single in Australia.
    The album and song each won three awards at the 2007 ARIA Awards.
    Aww, Australia's so cute. Btw, Dishawalla's still around, too.
  • maskofskinmaskofskin Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Add "Mother Mother" by Tracy Bonham to the list.
    edited April 2008
    Sorry to bring this up again, but I totally forgot about Anthem For The Year 2000. That song got pretty big, too. Silverchair should probably be taken off this list. But I'm lazy. ;)
  • akspidermanakspiderman Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    The Refreshments had many fantastic songs on their albums. Roger Clyne and PH Nafa started a new band with Scott Johnson from the Gin Blossoms,in the late 90's called Roger Clyne and the Peace Makers. Tired of the treatment they got from their label, Clyne started his own indie label Ema Java Records. The Peacemakers have released 4 studio albums with a 5th releasing on 4/29, and 2 live albums. If you get a chance to see them live they will not disappoint. I am going to attempt to put some youtube vids in my post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBmka0pfoGk
    video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVPJxqi6HUo
    video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFiHflHwbs
    video
  • Room_on_FireRoom_on_Fire Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Silverchair has other good songs and they're not one hit wonders.
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Charlie Brown's Parents---Another awesome Dishwalla song
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Abuse Me was also a hit for Silverchair,in fact I don't even remember hearing Tomorrow,I remember Abuse Me,Cemetary and Anthem for 2000 though I see Tomorrow is their only #1 in the US. Volcano Girls was a hit for Veruca Salt.
  • SM2535SM2535 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    This is nothing without the following:

Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger
    Open Up Your Eyes - Tonic
    Low - Cracker
    edited April 2008
    SM2535;531548 said:

Low - Cracker
    Except that Tonic's biggest hit was If You Could Only See, not Open Up Your Eyes. They also had You Wanted More. They'd be a prime candidate for a "Better To Burn Out Than Fade Away" Pack.

I already covered Low in another pack.

Flagpole Sitta...how could I forget that song!?
  • amnbamnb Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    none of those bands are one hit wonders just cause those are the only songs you know dosen't mean they are just one hit do some research before making another dumb thread there's enough of them on here as it is
    edited April 2008
    amnb;555025 said:
    none of those bands are one hit wonders just cause those are the only songs you know dosen't mean they are just one hit do some research before making another dumb thread there's enough of them on here as it is
    I love you.

Since you're 24, obviously you were around in the 90s and would've heard these bands. I've already recanted Silverchair. Tell me what Dishwala's and The Refreshments' other hits were.
  • MatthiusMatthius Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    SM2535;531548 said:

Low - Cracker
    I'd love to get Flagpole Sitta for RB, and as already disputed, Tonic has had a few singles released so they don't belong as 1 hit wonders. Almost like a Seven Mary Three (which I'm a big fan of, I'd happily play "Cumbersome" in RB) or Soul Asylum. I almost want to add bands like The Verve and The Wallflowers to the list, but I know of a couple of other songs they released as singles as well. Can't think of anything in 2000 that I've heard from either of them though.

I'm not aware of any other hits by the following bands/singles (but I could always be wrong):

Monster Magnet - "Space Lord"
    Sandbox - "Curious"
    The Flys - "Got You Where I Want You"