SRV in Rock N Roll Hall of Fame?

Ledgo2Ledgo2 Rising Star
edited April 2008 in History of Rock
Stevie Ray Vaughan is now eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Anyone thinks he should get in?

He should be inducted, he was very close to Hendrix in skill, and he has released great songs that are definately good material, Pride N Joy, Texas Flood, Cold Shot, Crossfire, all these are good. He definatley needs to be inducted.

Comments

• OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Ledgo2;528531 said:
    Stevie Ray Vaughan is now eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Anyone thinks he should get in?

He should be inducted, he was very close to Hendrix in skill, and he has released great songs that are definately good material, Pride N Joy, Texas Flood, Cold Shot, Crossfire, all these are good. He definatley needs to be inducted.
    No doubt in my mind he'll make it. And given some of the others already in, also no doubt in my mind he should. SRV is not my favorite -- I like my blues with more jazz colorings -- but he really resurrected the art form at a time when it was really pretty much languishing.

I wonder who they'll get to play at the ceremony. Should probably be Kenny Wayne Shepherd.
  • Ledgo2Ledgo2 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Well, there is Eric Clapton. Those two were pretty tight from what I read, or Billy Gibbons. Though a bit silly, those two did get along. Or his brother.

I think a guitarist who personally knew him should.
  • barbaraann72barbaraann72 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    I'm with OldFogey on this.

Not my fave, but he definitely has earned a place. Gosh... I still can't see his name without sighing.
    edited April 2008
    Ledgo2;528567 said:
    Well, there is Eric Clapton. Those two were pretty tight from what I read, or Billy Gibbons. Though a bit silly, those two did get along. Or his brother.

I think a guitarist who personally knew him should.
    That would be a lot of folks. You're probably right they'll do something like trot Eric out again, as if we haven't seen him enough. And he plays nothing like Stevie. I think they need someone who can at least remind us in some fashion of what it was like to hear Stevie. KWS is the closest to playing like SRV, with Joe Bonamassa probably being second.

For a sample of Joe try this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn09Xn9JF5s
    I think Joe is a better player, but KWS sounds closer to (actually more derivative of) SRV for me.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited April 2008
    KWS would be a good guitarist to pull off SRV's sound
    or even, possibly, Jonny Lang?
    they both sound similar to me, but KWS more so
    only other I can think of is slightly Lonesome George
  • JoatmonJoatmon Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Releasing a best of Album IN ROCK BAND would be a good way to drum up awareness for SRV.....
    edited April 2008
    Joatmon;529057 said:
    Releasing a best of Album IN ROCK BAND would be a good way to drum up awareness for SRV.....
    I vote for that!
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Joatmon;529057 said:
    A huevo!!!!

Hell yeah this guy should be in!!!!! I would think John Mayer would perfrom one of his songs since Stevie was his biggest influence.(Would he have to be somewhat in the HoF to perform?)
    edited April 2008
    Shredder87;529124 said:
    A huevo!!!!

Hell yeah this guy should be in!!!!! I would think John Mayer would perfrom one of his songs since Stevie was his biggest influence.(Would he have to be somewhat in the HoF to perform?)
    Answer -- no. The performers don't have to be in the hall.

And damn, I think you hit it -- Mayer would be just the Hall's flavor. But if you listened to Kenny Wayne and then Mayer no way you'd want Mayer.

Of all the names thrown out Bonamassa is far the best player, but the one who really seems to have channeled SRV is KWS.
  • ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    I definitely deserves to be in the hall.
  • screwtopscrewtop Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    No doubt about it; he should certainly be in the HoF.

I like the suggestion of having KWS play, but I think it would be very touching for Jimmy Vaughan to play as well. I'm not a fan of his, and he doesn't play anything like Stevie, but there's nothing wrong with keeping it in the family.
    edited April 2008
    screwtop;529678 said:
    No doubt about it; he should certainly be in the HoF.

I like the suggestion of having KWS play, but I think it would be very touching for Jimmy Vaughan to play as well. I'm not a fan of his, and he doesn't play anything like Stevie, but there's nothing wrong with keeping it in the family.
    Yeah -- Jimmy should definitely play.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited April 2008
    SRV totally deserves it! He helped blues live a little while longer. Blues died with him.
  • CosmaCosma Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    No doubt about it Stevie should be in. As far as who inducts him.....Best one I can think of is B.B. King. If he can't do it then anyone from his last concert. However BB would be my first real choice.
  • next jimmy pagenext jimmy page Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    if anybody opposes SRV's hall induction, there's something wrong with their brain. if any blues artist should be inducted, it should definitely be him ( along with BB, freddie, and the other king guy. Stevie was not only a top 7 guitarist, but a top artist as well. H had a short-lived life, but he REALLY lived it up.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    He's definitely a lock, and if I'm not mistaken this is also Metallica's first year of eligibility, so they're almost definitely in as well. Not entirely psyched about that one, but at least Cliff will probably get a posthumous induction, and maybe Mustaine. Anyway, sorry for going a bit off topic there, just seemed like something worth brining up.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited April 2008
    MronoC;537408 said:
    He's definitely a lock, and if I'm not mistaken this is also Metallica's first year of eligibility, so they're almost definitely in as well. Not entirely psyched about that one, but at least Cliff will probably get a posthumous induction, and maybe Mustaine. Anyway, sorry for going a bit off topic there, just seemed like something worth brining up.
    Metallica will probably take a few more years, sence they will want to include Jason, as with Jason they had their biggest success. So in a few years, the band (Hetfield, Hammet, Ulrich, Burton, Newsted, and mabye Mustaine) will be inducted. But that's just me
  • Ledgo2Ledgo2 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Yea, the issue is they went through a few people. But it will probrably be done soon.
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    SRV should absolutley be in the HOF. And as for who should perform, hands down it Kenny Wayne, if only because Double Trouble gave him the stamp of approval by touring with him
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited April 2008
    If he doesn't get in, it will be a miscarriage of justice that will make the O.J. trial seem like an episode of Judge Judy. Okay, I'm exaggerating (and making really bad analogies), but he definitely deserves to be in the HoF.
  • DB6896DB6896 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    Ledgo2;528531 said:

Hendrix is awesome but IMO it's the other way around. I honestly don't think there's ever been a guitar player better than SRV. Every time I see Stevie play it just sends chills down my spine. There's no question Stevie should absolutely be in the HOF.