What are your top 5 favorite Beach Boys songs?

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited April 2008 in History of Rock
everyone does the Beatles and so forth, what about the #1 top selling band of all time?

mine:
1. Fun Fun Fun
2. Wouldn't It Be Nice
3. Shut Down
4. I Get Around
5. Little Deuce Coupe

Comments

• OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Good Vibrations
    [*]California Girls
    [*]God Only Knows
    [*]I Get Around
    [*]Surf's Up
    [/LIST]

Honorable Mention: Sail on, Sailor; Warmth of the Sun; Feel Flows; Fun, Fun, Fun; In My Room; Don't Worry Baby; Hawaii; Catch a Wave; Help Me Rhonda; Funky Pretty; Darling; Marcella; Wonderful;

mmm shall I go on?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited April 2008
    OldFogey;529111 said:

mmm shall I go on?
    go for it, the Beach Boys are amazing
    edited April 2008
    a21schizoidman;529123 said:
    go for it, the Beach Boys are amazing
    OK

The rest of Pet Sounds -- Wouldn't it be nice; You Still Believe in Me; Don't Talk Put Your Head on My Shoulder; I Know There's an Answer; I Just Wasn't Made for These Times; Pet Sounds; Caroline, No; Sloop John B

Most of Today -- Please Let Me Wonder; the Little Girl I Once Knew; When I Grow up to Be a Man; Dance, Dance, Dance; She Knows Me Too Well

Most of All Summer Long -- title track; Little Honda; Wendy; Don't Back Down

EARLY STUFF -- Surfin', Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA, 409, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, Be True to Your School

LATER STUFF -- Good Timin'; Do It Again; Friends; I Can Hear Music; This Whole World; Add Some Music; Forever (Dennis); 'Til I Die; Heroes and Villains; All This is That; Trader (another Carl classic); Disney Girls

And the Christmas classic, Little Saint Nick

Tried not to duplicate what was already said.
    edited April 2008
    All Summer Long and 409 were my close favs. two fantastic songs
  • frostywolffrostywolf Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Argh, this was hard. I'm going with a top ten since it's kind of hard to narrow it down to just five. So, here's my top ten at the moment:

1. "Till I Die" - Just sounds really epic. The music, the lyrics, the vocals all really come together to really set the mood of the song.
    2. "Good Vibrations" - I love the theremin in this. Best song off "Smile", imo.
    3. "Wouldn't It Be Nice" - A solid, straight-forward rocker mixed with "Pet Sounds"-esque experimentation that really works on both levels, imo.
    4. "Please Let Me Wonder"
    5. "Caroline, No"
    6. "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)" - A nice, chilled out romantic song. Great relaxation music.
    7. "You Still Believe in Me" - Great heavenly sounding strings in this one; it sounds like the song is ascending to the skies or something
    8. "I Just Wasn't Meant for These Times"
    9. "All Summer Long" - I've been listening to this a lot lately; I love the vocal melodies in the verses.
    10. "The Little Girl I Once Knew" - I love those silent breaks in the song, they make the whole song very suspenseful.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    This is tough but first impressions probably never lie...

1. Little Deuce Coupe - this song changed my life. It was my introduction to something other than all the kiddie albums my parents bought me, and from there I was hooked on "real" music.

2. Sloop John B
    3. Good Vibrations
    4. 409
    5. I Get Around

5 already? yeesh.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Never been a fan. Sorry.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited April 2008
    1. Help Me Rhonda
    2. Fun, Fun, Fun
    3. Sloop John B
    4. Good Vibrations
    5. Catch A Wave
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    a21schizoidman;529091 said:
    everyone does the Beatles and so forth, what about the #1 top selling band of all time?
    Wouldn't the #1 selling band of all time be the Beatles?
    edited April 2008
    polishdog90;531327 said:
    Wouldn't the #1 selling band of all time be the Beatles?
    sorry meant #1 selling AMERICAN band of all time
    edited April 2008
    well my top 5 go:

I Get Around
    Surfin' USA
    Good Vibrations
    Barbara Ann
    Surfer Girl

I love the beach boys, but I haven't gotten really into them yet. I have the Sounds of Summer: The Very Best of The Beach Boys CD (which has 30 songs), but I'm sure that I'm missing out on a lot of their music. What albums would you guys suggest getting that have a lot of good songs that I haven't heard yet?
  • smar19smar19 Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    I Get Around
    KoKomo
    Good Vibrations
    Surfin USA
    Surfer Girl
  • frostywolffrostywolf Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    polishdog90;531375 said:
    well my top 5 go:

I Get Around
    Surfin' USA
    Good Vibrations
    Barbara Ann
    Surfer Girl

I love the beach boys, but I haven't gotten really into them yet. I have the Sounds of Summer: The Very Best of The Beach Boys CD (which has 30 songs), but I'm sure that I'm missing out on a lot of their music. What albums would you guys suggest getting that have a lot of good songs that I haven't heard yet?
    I'd say to check out "Pet Sounds" but I guess it depends on what stuff you like best from "Sounds of Summer". The three "Pet Sounds" songs on there are "God Only Knows", "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Sloop Jonn B", so if you like those you should probably seek it out. Personally, I think the Beach Boys' best albums are "Shut Down, Vol. 2", "Today!", "Pet Sounds" and "All Summer Long".

"Pet Sounds" is probably their most acclaimed CD so it's probably a pretty solid place to start.
    edited April 2008
    polishdog90;531375 said:
    well my top 5 go:

I Get Around
    Surfin' USA
    Good Vibrations
    Barbara Ann
    Surfer Girl

The Good Vibrations 4 CD compilation is a good one if you can find it. Some "novelty" items.

If you're going to get one album I might say The Beach Boys in Concert from '73 is really good and includes a great selection of songs.

Of the studio albums, I'd say

[LIST=1]
    [*]Pet Sounds -- no question
    [*]Today
    [*]All Summer Long --
    [*]Sunflower
    [*]Surf's Up -- 2nd side with Feel Flows, Til I Die and title track is awesome
    [/LIST]

Surfin USA is probably the best early album -- they were putting out two albums a year in the early years and the record company forced a lot of padding on them. I like Holland for three tracks in particular -- Sail On Sailor, Trader and Funky Pretty, but the rest is pretty lame.

It's not really a Beach Boys album, but Brian Wilson's Smile has some awesome music if you can get past the silliness of some of the lyrics. It's tied with Zepp's How the West Was Won for the highest rated album ever on Metacritic (during the lifespan of Metacritic).

Hope that helps
    edited April 2008
    Thanks that helped a lot. The issue for me is size of the music because my zune is full right now. I have the Zune Pass thing where you can download unlimited music for like $10 a month so obtaining the music isn't a problem. I'll check out some of those albums and let you know how I like them.
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Good Vibrations
    God Only Knows
    Wouldn't It be Nice
    Little Deuce Coop
    Barbara Ann
    Little St. Nick

Seriously, is there anyone who doesn't like the Beach Boys? I just was at a party full of metalheads, punk kids, and guys into goth..someone threw the Greatest Hits cd in as a joke, and we all sang the enitre album
  • barbaraann72barbaraann72 Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    OldFogey;529111 said:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Good Vibrations
    [*]California Girls
    [*]God Only Knows
    [*]I Get Around
    [*]Surf's Up
    [/LIST]

Honorable Mention: Sail on, Sailor; Warmth of the Sun; Feel Flows; Fun, Fun, Fun; In My Room; Don't Worry Baby; Hawaii; Catch a Wave; Help Me Rhonda; Funky Pretty; Darling; Marcella; Wonderful;

mmm shall I go on?
    *tapping foot impatiently*
    edited April 2008
    barbaraann72;532988 said:
    *tapping foot impatiently*
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(Just look about two down from the post you quoted...)