Should (list of bands) Be In The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
edited November 2012 in History of Rock
Here's my list of bands. Some should be in the HoF, some should not. Some are old enough, some not. Do they deserve it? Which ones do? Which ones don't? BEWARE-List is long.
The list:
RHCP
Deep Purple (Possibly Member soon)
Megadeth
Anthrax
Slayer
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Radiohead
Rush (Possible Member soon)
Yes
King Crimson
Blind Faith
Bluesbreakers
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Television
KISS
Captian Beefheart
Beck
The Smiths
The Cure
New York Dolls
Nine Inch Nails
The Pixies
The Replacements
Stevie Ray Vaughn
T. Rex
Weezer
The White Stripes
Boston
Heart
Journey
Bon Jovi
Dire Straits
Blink-182
Green Day
Limp Bizkit
Def Leppard
Stone Temple Pilots
Beastie Boys
Linkin Park
Live
Nickelback
Smashing Pumpkins
Backstreet Boys
Meat Loaf
Motley Crue
Poison
Blue Oyster Cult
Foo Fighters
Devo
Spinal Tap
"Wierd" Al Yankovic

Comments

• ActionJacksonActionJackson Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Absolutely:
    Deep Purple
    Megadeth
    Iron Maiden
    Boston
    Nirvana
    SRV

Yes:
    RHCP
    Metallica
    Judas Priest
    Rush
    Bluesbreakers
    Heart
    Dire Straits
    Pearl Jam
    BOC

Iffy:
    Anthrax
    Slayer
    Alice in Chains
    GNR

Either I don't know the others well enough to decide or don't think they should be in at all.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2008
    There shouldn't be a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to being with.
  • QeenR2goodQeenR2good Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Ultimatum;552907 said:
    There shouldn't be a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to being with.
    Explain???
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited April 2008
    It's all based on fanbase, a lot of the really influential bands will never make it on there because there isn't enough support for them.
    edited April 2008
    QeenR2good;552918 said:
    Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are in already.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited April 2008
    The list:
    RHCP: Yes, because they are very original and will be legends in the decades to come.
    Deep Purple: Yes, because, well, they're frickin awesome and one of the granddaddies of metal.
    Alice Cooper: Yes because he's awesome
    Metallica: Absolutely YES.
    Megadeth: Absolutely YES.
    Anthrax: Absolutely YES
    Slayer: Absolutely YES
    Iron Maiden: Absolutely YES
    Judas Priest: Absolutely YES
    Radiohead: Absolutely YES
    Rush: Absolutely YES
    Yes: Absolutely YES
    Genesis: Absolutely YES
    King Crimson: Absolutely YES
    Blind Faith: Who are they? :confused:
    Bluesbreakers: Who are they? :confused:
    Alice In Chains: Meh, not sure.
    Pearl Jam: Absolutely YES
    Soundgarden: Absolutely YES
    Nirvana: Don't realy care. If they're in, meh, if they're not, meh.
    Television: Never heard of em.
    Guns N Roses: Absolutely YES
    KISS: Yes, but purely for their influence on metal musicians
    Captian Beefheart: Who?
    Beck: no
    The Smiths: no
    The Cure: Why not
    Small Faces/The Faces:meh
    New York Dolls: no
    Nine Inch Nails: Perhaps. When they become classic rock they will become huge again and will be held in high regard.
    The Pixies: See NIN
    The Replacements: who?
    Stevie Ray Vaughn: WTF he's not in already? Blasphemy
    T. Rex: No. One-hit wonder
    Weezer: Maybe when they actually become legends and have a huge catalogue
    The White Stripes: See Weezer
    Boston: Absolutely YES
    Heart: Absolutely YES
    Journey: Absolutely YES
    Bon Jovi: Meh
    Dire Straits: Absolutely YES
    Blink-182: Hell no
    Green Day: Hell no
    Limp Bizkit: Hell no
    Def Leppard: Sure
    Stone Temple Pilots: Sure
    Beastie Boys: Absolutely YES
    Linkin Park: Hell no!
    Live: Meh
    Nickelback: NO.
    Smashing Pumpkins: Absolutely YES
    Backstreet Boys: Lol
    Meat Loaf: Absolutely YES
    Motley Crue: Yes
    Poison: Yes
    Blue Oyster Cult: Absolutely YES
    Foo Fighters: Absolutely YES. They're like the Zep or Who or DP of the 90s and 00s.
    Devo: Yes
    Spinal Tap: No
    "Wierd" Al Yancovic: Yes, because he spawned an entire genre.
    edited April 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;553369 said:
    The list:
    RHCP: Yes, because they are very original and will be legends in the decades to come.
    Blind Faith: Who are they? :confused:
    Bluesbreakers: Who are they? :confused:
    Stevie Ray Vaughn: WTF he's not in already? Blasphemy
    Weezer: Maybe when they actually become legends and have a huge catalogue
    The White Stripes: See Weezer
    "Wierd" Al Yancovic: Yes, because he spawned an entire genre.
    Blind Faith was rocks first supergroup. It featured Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker, and some other guy.

Bluesbreakers were a blues-rock group that fogey likes.

RHCP are already concidered ledgends. (Stones of The 80's IMO) Same with Weezer.

This is the first year SRV is eligeble.

There were plenty of parodies before Al.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;553395 said:
    Blind Faith was rocks first supergroup. It featured Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker, and some other guy.

Bluesbreakers were a blues-rock group that fogey likes.

RHCP are already concidered ledgends. (Stones of The 80's IMO) Same with Weezer.

This is the first year SRV is eligeble.

There were plenty of parodies before Al.
    Al made the genre popular and has been turning out quality records for decades. Weezer and RHCP aren't there yet. Maybe legends of alt, but not classic rock quite yet.
  • skiddzmarkskiddzmark Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    dont listn to enough so dont have good enugh opionin but maybe
    Deep Purple
    Alice Cooper
    slayer
    radiohead
    the cure
    meat loef
    Spinal Tap

no, like em though
    Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    Guns N Roses - werent around long enough
    anthrax
    alice in chains
    kiss
    Poison
    Def Leppard
    motley crue
    Beastie Boys
    Nickelback
    Smashing Pumpkins
    stone temple piolets
    t rex
    Green Day
    Limp Bizkit
    Blink-182
    Linkin Park

need more time, then maybe
    Nine Inch Nails
    Weezer
    Blink-182

maybe
    Metallica
    judas Priest
    The Pixies
    Heart
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Journey
    rhcp

yes
    Iron Maiden
    Nirvana
    Boston
    stevie ray vaughn
    Backstreet Boys-they suck, but still deservre it just for the impact
    "Wierd" Al Yancovick-just for origanality
    edited April 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;553407 said:
    Al made the genre popular and has been turning out quality records for decades. Weezer and RHCP aren't there yet. Maybe legends of alt, but not classic rock quite yet.
    I'll give you Weezer, but RHCP have been around sence 1984, and made it big in 1989. Classic Rock stations play them. Classic Rock is now defined as anything before April 5, 1994.
    edited April 2008
    I'd like to hear Axl's take on the list (and not go on a Zappa-esque rant)
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    I've avoided replying to the thread as , IMO, the Hall of Fame is a complete sham and meaningless.
    edited April 2008
    AxlVanHagar;566909 said:
    I've avoided replying to the thread as , IMO, the Hall of Fame is a complete sham and meaningless.
    Ok. The World would be a better place if Rolling Stone Magaszine Never Existed.
    edited April 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;566931 said:
    Ok. The World would be a better place if Rolling Stone Magaszine Never Existed.
    LOL! QFT my friend. And I've decided to play along. So here it is , get comfy as I included my reasoning for my opinion. Please notice I did my best to not allow personal bias to enter in to my decsion.

RHCP - No While I'm not a fan per se they're not bad. I just don't think their overall contribution to music is Hall worthy

Deep Purple - Yes. A classic band with many classic songs and albums. Helped usher in Heavy Metal/prog rock. A true pioneer of rock.

Alice Cooper - Yes. The Godfather of shock rock. While he certainly took some idea's from other people he was the first to truly succesfully define the genre. At 60 he continues to release new material, tour and support both new and classic rock via his radio show.

Metallica - Yes. The most successful thrash metal band of all time. While I'm not a fan of the current direction they successfully crossed over to mainstream success.

Megadeth - No. I prefer Megadeth over Metallica, always have, but Mustaines constant whining about being kicked out of Metallica totally undermines his bands contributions to music. Dave continues to be his own worst enemy.

Anthrax - No. I love Anthrax. I really do, they are my favorite band of the genre but other than ushering in the rap/metal hybrid they haven't really done much. Were never really in the top tier of bands, always on the bubble.

Slayer - Yes. Not a fan of the band at all however , IMO, no other band defines thrash metal better than Slayer. Kings of what they do.

Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest - Yes to both. Both of these bands were pioneers of the NWOBHM movement that influenced a decade of music. Both continue to be successful without conforming. Like SLayer both these bands totally define their genre.

Radiohead - No opinion as I'm not famiair with them at all. I do know they are well respected and have a loyal fanbaser but thats about it. Perhaps in time.

Rush
    Yes - Yes to both. Both wildly successful prog rock bands that influenced tons of other bands. Again not a fan of either outside of a handful of songs but both have amazingly strong catalogs. Neith seems to have "jumped the shark".

Genesis - Unsure. I'm really on the fence with this band. The real meat and potatoes of the band lies with the Gabriel era. The real big success is with the Collins era but the music simplified. Maintained popularity. Really not sure, I could be swayed either way.

King Crimson - No. While they are an originator of prog rock they have never risen above cult status in its fan base. Doesn't mean they arent good at what they do simply not successful enough to get in.

Blind Faith - No. Sure they were arguably the first supergroup but one album does not one make one Hall of Fame worthy. It makes them a one hit wonder.

Bluesbreakers - No. For the simple fact that one is never really sure if the songs are Mayalls or the bands. The Bluesbreakers is more of a label than it is an actual band.

Alice In Chains - No. Best band out of the grunge movement IMO. Great songs, great frontman but Hall worthy? No. There were other bands of th genre that were more important. Speaking of which...

Pearl Jam - Yes. Can't stand the band personally but they stood head and shoulders above the crowd. Went on to influence a generation of new bands and helped to define a new genre of music. Live concerts that were more of jam sessions, allowing bootlegs etc they have become the Greatful Dead to a new generation of rock fans.

Soundgarden - No. Great band but no way are they Hall of Fame worthy.

Nirvana - Yes. Another band I completely loathe but I can't knock them. They single handedly changed the face of music overnight and Cobain struck a chord with a new generation of young people. Had Cobain not succumbed to his own personal demons he would have easily gone on to be the next John Lennon. Yea I went there.

Television - Unsure. Another band I could be swayed one way or another on. Yes one of the pioneers of punk rock but no real success outside of Europe. Tough call for me.

Guns N Roses - No. Awesome band and had they stayed together most likely yes. They were set to be the new Rolling Stones but they screwed it all up. Drugs are bad mmmkay?

KISS - Yes. SHeer marketing brilliance! Brought in a new era of the live concert experience. First band to really understand the business side of the music business and used it to their advantage. Love them or hate them in their prime not many could hold their own against the band live.

Captian Beefheart - Yes. Anyone that can influence artists as diverse as Tom Waits, Sonic Youth, and TheClash did something right. A true artist.

Beck - Yes. Another guy I simply do not like but can't knock what he does. Defines the alternative music scene and genre.

The Smiths - Yes. They were emo before emo lol. While the band only lasted 5 years they have gone on to influence a veritable who's who of the current music scene. How can you knock that?

The Cure - Yes. Originator of New Wave and Goth. Their strong catalog of material and influences on modern music speak for itself.

Small Faces/The Faces - Yes. They have a timeless sound that still sounds current and continues to influence back to basics style rock bands such as The Black Crowes.

New York Dolls - Yes. For influencing a decade of punk and glam rock without even trying. Anything the glam or punk bands of the mid to late 70's and much of the 80's the Dolls did it first.

Nine Inch Nails Reamins to be seen. I love Trent and NIN and had things continued to be as strong as Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral this would be a resounding yes. He's stumbled somewhat with his last few releases I feel and just doesn't seem as current somehow. If anything he'll get in at some point in revolutionizing fans input to remixes, marketing and his studio wizardry if not the merits of his music.

The Pixies - No opinion as I'm not familiar enough.

The Replacements - No. Nice little rock band but I don't see really see their contributions being Hall Worthy.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Yes. One of the greatest and most influential blues guitarists in history. How the Hell he isn't in already I'll never know!

T. Rex - Yes. Glam before glam was a term. Even The New York Dolls owe a little something to T.Rex and Marc Bolan.

Weezer - Not yet. Maybe one day. For me they are too current of a band to be able to judge their lasting influences.

The White Stripes - See Weezer

Boston - Yes. Probably the only band that deserves it based on one album.

Heart - Yes. Broke down many barriers for females in the rock genre.

Journey - No. Big band. Successful band. But not hall worthy.

Bon Jovi - Yes. Like Metallica most successful band of their genre and era. One of the few "hair metal" bands that can still sell albums and fill stadiums. Successfully crossedover and survived through the grunge era and beyond.

Dire Straits Debateable. I would say a yes to Mark Knopfler. Dire Straits...another I could be swayed one way or another.

Blink-182
    Green Day
    Limp Bizkit - F**k no to all three. Limp was just crap from day one. I'll give Durst credit for being a pretty sharp businessman but thats about it. Blink and Green Day are fine at what they do but are both very derivative of the genre. Of the 3 Green Day has the most chance at some point in time as thewy have continued to progress as artists.

Def Leppard - No. Another member of the NWOBHM club that unlike Maiden and Priest sold out and forgot their roots. Picked up new fans but lost all of the old ones that put them their in the first place.

Stone Temple Pilots - No. Just another grunge band, nothing to see here.

Beastie Boys - Yes. For breaking down some musical bariers and production work. I think they might deserve that. Not a fan but still...

Linkin Park - Hell no. Way to new!

Live - No. Again a fine band but I don't see them having any far reaching influence.

Nickelback No. Way to new and nothing special outside of a couple of catchy riffs.

Smashing Pumpkins - Yes. I don't think there is a band I despise as much as the Pumpkins and no one more than Bill Corgan. Pretentious as Hell. Can't stand them. That being said they will most likely get in based on their contribution to the world of music video's. Really good stuff there.

Backstreet Boys - Yes to the prefabricated pop music hall of fame no to the rock hall of fame.

Meat Loaf - No. I'm tempted to say yes as much like Boston the one album worth talking about is a helluva an album. But I think Meat has milked it to much and has undermined it's integrity. No Jim Steinman on the other hand deserves to get in.

Motley Crue - Yes. The only deserving hair metal band. Constantly reinvented themselves. Much like Bowie has done Motley has changed their look and sound consistently to keep in stride with the times and usually does it better than most of their contemparies.

Poison - No. Best hair meatl/glam band of all time but no.

Blue Oyster Cult - Yet another band a good argument could be made for yes or no.

Foo Fighters - No. Good band but I just don't see it.

Devo - No. Kitschy little one hit wonder band.

Spinal Tap - No. Lots of fun and a great movie but no.

"Wierd" Al Yankovic Yes. Surprisingly I'd say yes. Al is a true artist in his satirical take on pop songs of the day. He's always spot on and is actaully a very accomplished musician. When his band and he crank out a medley live it's hard to laugh as your amazed at how well they play.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited April 2008
    I liked your reasoning, Axl, and I agree with you on most of your positions. Here's my little band-by-band analysis:

RHCP: An argument could be made either way. While Anthony Kiedis gets a lot of flak for his "I never met a rhyme I didn't like!" stance (Around the World, I'm looking at you!) he has written some pretty poignant lyrics - Californication, Soul to Squeeze, and Under the Bridge, for example. They are solid, instrumentally, and I can't think of many bands that have progressed/matured as much as RHCP has.

Deep Purple & Alice Cooper: Both bands should be a shoe-in. DP had a huge influence on metal, hard rock, and prog, while Alice Cooper pushed the art of the exciting stage show and the concept album (Welcome to My Nightmare) in a positive direction. Alice was probably the first artist to make a film/album tie-in in the form of WtmN. Plus, the movie had narration from Vincent Price. :D

Metallica/Megadeth/Anthrax/Slayer: The infamous 'Big Four of Thrash Metal'. Slayer and Metallica are shoe-ins, due to Rolling Stone's love for both groups (Metallica especially), and I think they are well-deserving of the inductions. Megadeth and Anthrax are excellent bands, but they probably aren't as influential as Slayer and Metallica.

Iron Maiden/Judas Priest: The Hall needs at least one representative from the NWBHM genre. Priest would be my ideal choice due to my personal musical preferences, but you couldn't go wrong with either band.

Radiohead: A defiant 'yes'. Easily one of the most influential and enduring alternative groups of all-time. And, they are still making great music in an era where most claim the current music scene is sonically bankrupt.

Rush/Yes/Genesis/King Crimson: I always found the Hall's ignorance of prog to be pretty pathetic. Out of the four most popular prog groups, I'd probably go with Genesis, if only for the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway magnum opus. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I am a fan of the Collins era, either.

Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Nirvana: I actually think all four of these grunge giants are deserving of a place in the Hall. Ideally, the Hall would induct them all at one time as a group, due to the collective influence these four bands had on music history. However, that would probably never happen. Nirvana should and probably will be inducted first, followed by Pearl Jam, and then AIC/Soundgarden.

Television: *wistful sigh* In a perfect world, yes...they are one of the most influential groups of all time, yet the bands obviously influenced by them aren't even aware of their existence until some music journalist points out the similarities to them. Similar to The Velvet Underground's position.

GnR: I think Axl Rose is the biggest jerk in rock at the moment, but that doesn't take away the fact that they were a huge slap in the face to the hair-metal dominated music scene. They are a shoe-in.

KISS: Hmm. I'm on the fence here. KISS have grown on me in the past few months, but I'm not really sure if they are deserving of a place in the hall. They influenced groups as varied as The Replacements (who covered Black Diamond on Let it Be) and King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, and their stage show/gimmick was pretty influential, too, so I'm leaning more towards 'yes'.

Captain Beefheart: Yes. A huge influence on the alternative, punk, comedy, prog, and experimental rock scenes. A shoe-in.

Beck: I'm not sure about this one. While his music is witty and creative in the vein of the Beastie Boys rapping over electrified Bob Dylan tracks, I don't think he has released enough material to be considered HoF-worthy yet.

The Smiths/The Cure: Shoe-ins. Of course, I'm a huge post-punk fan, so I could just be biased.

Small Faces/The Faces/New York Dolls: Yes! Big influences on the punk, glam, and garage rock circuit. The NYD famously influenced The Smiths; Morrissey has written a couple of books about the dolls. I also think Rod Stewart is deserving of a place in the Hall, too.

NiN: If he shapes up (although I actually like With Teeth...) and decides to release more material in the vein of Pretty Hate Machine and the Downward Spiral, Trent will be ensured a spot.

Pixies/The Replacements: Shoe-ins. Undisputed alternative rock gods. This is not arguable.

SRV: Technically skilled /and/ emotive. Guitarists like SRV show up once in a lifetime. An emphatic 'yes'.

T. Rex: Yes. They started glam, and brought us the NYD. Even without their great music, that fact alone would be enough to ensure a spot.

Weezer/The White Stripes: I think it's a little too early to talk about The White Stripes and the HoF, but Weezer are pretty close to ensuring a spot.

Boston: Probably a 'no'. I know I'm going to make a lot of enemies for saying this, but I've always found Boston to be kind of bland, run-of-the-mill corporate rock. However, they did influence the Smashing Pumpkins.

Heart: Yes. Excellent music (even if their mid/late 80s work wasn't as good as their 70s material) and highly influential; they proved women can make it far in the largely macho rock world.

Journey/Motley Crue/Bon Jovi/Poison/Def Leppard: I'm not really familiar with them. Let's leave it at a 'TBA', for now.

Dire Straits: Yes. Even if the band doesn't get in - they are usually overlooked, even by "classic rock" enthusiasts - I think at least Mark Knopfler is deserving of a spot in the sidemen section. He made some pretty good material with Emmylou Harris.

Blink 182/Green Day: GD is deserving of a spot. Dookie will always be remembered as 1) an excellent alternative album, 2) the album that singlehandedly ushered in a punk revival, and 3) one of the most influential albums of all-time. While I enjoy some of Blink's music (and I am not ashamed to admit that!), I don't think they are HoF-worthy.

Limp Bizkit: They would have been highly respected if Fred Durst had never been brought into this world. Creative guitarist, killer rhythm section...and the worst frontman in the history of music.

Stone Temple Pilots: I thought music critics were unnecessarily cruel to STP during the 90s. With that said, they aren't a bad band by any means, but I don't think they are deserving of a HoF spot.

Linkin Park: I respect LP for their ambition. However, they need to work a bit on their execution. Similar to MCR's striking progression between Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge and The Black Parade, I think LP have what it takes to become one of the better contemporary rock bands. It's just a matter of time and patience. (No HoF spot yet, though.)

Live: I'm a fan of Ed's voice, and I think he's a pretty good lyricist, to boot. That said, I think their progression into a pop-rock band was a terrible misstep, and it throws their HoF eligibility out the window for now. There is always time to change, though!

Nickelback: I dislike close-mindedness, but I don't think Nickelback is going to change their sound any time soon. No HoF for these boys from Canada.

Smashing Pumpkins: I'm on the fence here. They were one of the 90s premiere alternative bands, but with all of the alt bands getting in on my list, I'm not sure the HoF is big enough.

Backstreet Boys: Refer to Nickelback.

Beastie Boys: Yes. While the rock/rap movement has been fairly controversial amongst rock enthusiasts, and the Boys' are partly to blame for the rise of nu-metal (for better or for worse), their lyrics and songs are actually quite creative and intelligent. Also, the Beastie Boys is one of the few groups out there (Pop Will Eat Itself being another example) who is able to sample another song without sounding like they are stealing, because their songs sound so organic and natural.

Meat Loaf: Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman made an excellent team. While I don't think there are enough "good" Meat Loaf songs to warrant his entrance to the HoF, I definently think Jim is worthy of an induction.

Blue Oyster Cult: One of my favorite prog/metal groups. It could just be my love for sci-fi talking, but I think they deserve a spot.

Foo Fighters: While the Foos are a pretty decent alternative group, they aren't really groundbreaking enough to warrant a spot. See Stone Temple Pilots.

Devo: Take a look at my signature for an answer. :D Pioneers of the music video medium and the originator of the "conceptual band" (Eat your heart out, Gwar!), and my favorite punk rock/post-punk group. They may be kitschy, but that was part of their enduring charm, and the occasional cheese factor actually enhanced their music's themes .

Spinal Tap/"Weird Al" Yankovic: Both musical geniuses in their own right. I'm not really sure if I'd consider Spinal Tap HoF-worthy since they only released two albums, but Al definently deserves a spot.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited April 2008
    Just as a note, if this hasn't been mentioned already, but a band needs to have released their first album at least 25 years ago to be eligible for the Rock Hall of Fame, meaning a large portion of the list won't be valid for a while.
    edited April 2008
    Thanks Axl! It's just nice to hear your opionion. I do have comments though:
    AxlVanHagar;567177 said:

Blind Faith - No. Sure they were arguably the first supergroup but one album does not one make one Hall of Fame worthy. It makes them a one hit wonder.Then Explain The Sex Pistols

Nirvana - Yes. Another band I completely loathe but I can't knock them. They single handedly changed the face of music overnight and Cobain struck a chord with a new generation of young people. Had Cobain not succumbed to his own personal demons he would have easily gone on to be the next John Lennon. Yea I went there. I agree with that, really.

Television - Unsure. Another band I could be swayed one way or another on. Yes one of the pioneers of punk rock but no real success outside of Europe. Tough call for me. I'm sure they have some chance sence The Velvet Underground are in.

The Smiths - Yes. They were emo before emo lol. While the band only lasted 5 years they have gone on to influence a veritable who's who of the current music scene. How can you knock that? You don't! And yeah, I call the Smiths the 1st Emo band.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Yes. One of the greatest and most influential blues guitarists in history. How the Hell he isn't in already I'll never know! He's not eligible yet. Well, this is his first year to be elligible, hope RS gets their heads out of their asses.

Blink-182
    Green Day
    Limp Bizkit - F**k no to all three. Limp was just crap from day one. I'll give Durst credit for being a pretty sharp businessman but thats about it. Blink and Green Day are fine at what they do but are both very derivative of the genre. Of the 3 Green Day has the most chance at some point in time as thewy have continued to progress as artists. I agree with Bizkit, but Green Day invented Pop-Punk, so that's gotta count for something.

Motley Crue - Yes. The only deserving hair metal band. Constantly reinvented themselves. Much like Bowie has done Motley has changed their look and sound consistently to keep in stride with the times and usually does it better than most of their contemparies. Except when they went grunge and booted Vince.

"Wierd" Al Yankovic Yes. Surprisingly I'd say yes. Al is a true artist in his satirical take on pop songs of the day. He's always spot on and is actaully a very accomplished musician. When his band and he crank out a medley live it's hard to laugh as your amazed at how well they play. If Madge can get in, he can too.
  • frostywolffrostywolf Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    RHCP - Yes. As much as I dislike them, they're certainly one of the biggest rock bands out there and they've got a good deal of respect. They also bring funk-esque music to the masses, I suppose.

Deep Purple - Yes. Influential in the birth of heavy metal and they also have a pretty respected guitarist in Ritchie Blackmore.

Alice Cooper - Yes. Brought a level of theatrics and shock to rock that wasn't seen before. Solid lyricist, great band from Love it to Death to Muscle of Love.

Metallica - Yes. One of the biggest metal bands and the defining thrash metal band for a lot of people. The Black Album brought a lot of mainstream respect to the genre too... really helped open the gates for thrash bands, I'd say. Huge influence on modern metal and alternative.

Megadeth - Maybe, leaning towards no. Megadeth is the best of their genre, imo, and Mustaine definately is partly responsible for the birth of thrash but the band to capitalize on that was Metallica. If other thrash bands besides 'Tallica and Slayer are getting in, I think it should be them.

Anthrax - No. Good, underrated thrash band who's main quirk was pioneering rap/rock. However, most nu-metal bands seem more influenced by Metallica than Anthrax.

Slayer - Maybe, leaning towards yes. Very influential to the extreme metal scene and one of the pioneers of extreme metal. A lot of the early proto-death metal and black metal bands kind of sounded like Slayer rip-offs, imo.

Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    - Yes to both. Judas Priest is one of the most influential metal acts out there, they pioneered thrash metal, nwobhm and have influenced even the more extreme metal musicians (Death, Arch Enemy, etc...). They also brought leather and metal together. Iron Maiden's also very influential, most metal bands tend to have Maiden-esque riffs hiding out in their songs even if they claim to not like Maiden (Papa Roach).

Radiohead - Yes. Today's current critical darlings and probably one of the bands that'll be regarded as being "classic" in the future. Some really interesting and experimental albums. One of the most popular prog bands since Pink Floyd.

Rush
    Yes
    Genesis
    King Crimson
    - Probably yes to one of these, but probably not all of them. These are the premier prog-acts, imo. Rush or Genesis are probably the most popular of them, King Crimson and Yes are my personal favorites. I don't know who should be in, but there needs to be some prog-rock in there.

Blind Faith
    Bluesbreakers
    Television
    The New York Dolls
    Beck
    Small Faces/The Faces
    Meatloaf
    - Not familiar enough with either band.

Alice In Chains
    Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    Nirvana
    - Yes to Nirvana. Easily one of the most influential rock bands of the 90's. I don't think the other three are nearly as HoF worthy, but I'd go with Pearl Jam second, Alice in Chains third and Soundgarden fourth if I had to choose.

Guns N Roses - No. Big band in the 80's and had a good selection of hits but I never felt they did anything special for rock. I can't say they're influence is very far-reaching or that they've got a unique sound of their own.

KISS - Yes, the theatrics are enough to do it, I'd say. Influenced tons of bands, from Weezer to Death.

Captian Beefheart - Yes. No doubt about it, he's a true original.

The Smiths - Yes. Huge influence on modern alternative.

The Cure - Yes, the big goth band. Influenced a good deal of alternative musicians too.

Nine Inch Nails - Yes. One of the most famous industrial rock bands, wildly influnetial for their time, did a lot of experimenting with sounds.

The Pixies - Yes. Very influential for alternative rock and grunge.

The Replacements
    T. Rex
    Live
    - Perfectly solid rock bands that I don't feel really did much different enough from the crowd to get included and/or haven't been influential enough to deserve being in there.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Yes.One of the most popular blues guitarists

Weezer - Maybe. They're influential to a lot of alternative/pop-punk bands but they also haven't done much worth noting since Pinkerton.

The White Stripes - No. Don't really see their influence and they don't really offer anything new to rock, imo. We'll see in a couple of years.

Boston
    Journey
    - I like Boston, but neither of these bands really stick out too well from the arena rock crowd, in my opinion. Boston's got a great first album, but after that it's a lot harder to justify them belonging there.

Heart
    Dire Straits
    - On the fence. Both great, but I'm not really sure they're contributions are enough to deserve entry.

Bon Jovi - Yes, glam rock giants.

Blink-182 - No. Popular in their day but I don't really see their influence too much. I'd say yes but I think the following band is the more deserving band of the genre.

Green Day - Maybe, leaning towards yes if they'll include pop-punk. Dookie was pretty big in the 90's and Green Day is still going strong today... they've more or less started up this whole pop-punk revival and people claim them as a 00's band today! Don't really like 'em, but I can't deny their impact.

Limp Bizkit - Maybe, leaning towards yes if they'll include nu-metal. Personally, I love the band, but I also don't think nu-metal is of enough importance to start putting bands of the genre in the HoF. However, if they were too, there's not many more influential nu-metal groups than Limp Bizkit. I'd say at least 50% of nu-metal bands in the late 90's were Limp Bizkit wannabes.

Def Leppard - No. Never really had much nwobhm impact or impact afterwards. Popular but not really influential or innovative.

Stone Temple Pilots - Nope. Didn't innovate enough.

Beastie Boys - Yes. Merged punk, metal and rap together pretty well.

Linkin Park - No. One of the survivors of nu-metal but they didn't reinvent the wheel. Their first two albums are pretty heavily in debt to Limp Bizkit and Nine Inch Nails, their third is generic alt rock. Maybe after a bunch of other nu-metal bands make it in.

Nickelback - No. Generic post-grunge and the definition of mediocre. Not influential either.

Smashing Pumpkins - On the fence. Good and popular 90's alt rock band, perhaps one of the most popular but did they have enough influence?

Backstreet Boys - No. Popular but not influential. Didn't do anything The Monkees didn't do.

Motley Crue - Yes. See Bon Jovi.

Poison - No. Relics of their time, not influential enough or innovative enough, imo.

Blue Oyster Cult - Yes. Pioneered heavy metal, some really creative output, popular.

Foo Fighters - No. They're respected and all but they're not innovative or influential enough.

Devo - No. One hit wonders.

Spinal Tap - Maybe, leaning towards no. They're not innovative or influential since they're made for a movie, but they're also not the first band to be that. However, the movie itself is pretty influential...

"Weird" Al Yankovic - Yes. Most recognizable song parodist and probably one of the most recognized in the genre of comedy music.
    edited April 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;568020 said:
    Thanks Axl! It's just nice to hear your opionion. I do have comments though:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AxlVanHagar

Blind Faith - No. Sure they were arguably the first supergroup but one album does not one make one Hall of Fame worthy. It makes them a one hit wonder.Then Explain The Sex Pistols

Ok I will ;)The Pistols were a hugely influential band. Blind Faith were not.

Television - Unsure. Another band I could be swayed one way or another on. Yes one of the pioneers of punk rock but no real success outside of Europe. Tough call for me. I'm sure they have some chance sence The Velvet Underground are in.

The Underground are arguably better known. Not saying Television isn't serserving they probably are but they have a bigger hill to climb than the Underground.

Motley Crue - Yes. The only deserving hair metal band. Constantly reinvented themselves. Much like Bowie has done Motley has changed their look and sound consistently to keep in stride with the times and usually does it better than most of their contemparies. Except when they went grunge and booted Vince.

Note I said usually :p And that album is actually quite loved in some circles with some rating it as high as Too Fast For Love for being the one of the best Crue albums.

• partyboydanialpartyboydanial Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Red Hot Chili Peppers- hell yes, Anthony Kiedis is a top 50 frontman, Flea is a top 5 bassist, John Frusciante is top 50 guitarist, and Chad Smith is a top 100 drummer... you do the math

Deep Purple- why arent they already in is the real question

Alice Cooper- read Deep Purple

Metallica- yes, kept metal (besides glam/hair metal) going in the 80's and 90's and have been consistent along with having amazing guitar solos

Megadeth- no, werent consistent enough and not well known enough

Anthrax- no, just no

Slayer- this is biased for me because i cannot stand Slayer, but NO WAY

Iron Maiden- read Alice Cooper

Judas Priest- along with Iron Maiden, brought a new look to the metal genre, so yes

Radiohead- yes, a consist alternitive band, who is pretty talented at every instrument so id say yes

Rush- read Iron Maiden

Yes- read Rush

Genesis- ehhh close but no

King Crimson- not a fan of them, but i think they deserve to be in so yes

Blind Faith- lets make it 4 for Clapton why dont we?

Bluesbreakers- ehhh close but not 5 for Slowhand

Alice In Chains- close but no

Pearl Jam- yes, were consistent, lots of good songs and were one of the leaders in the 90's alternative revolution in music

Soundgarden- if they had lasted longer, but to short of time and didnt do enough

Nirvana- of course yes, led the 90's alternative revolution and had some great songs, imagine what they could have done if Kurt was still around

Television- i dont know the band so no

Guns N Roses- yes, only because of Appetite for Destruction

KISS- not a big fan of theirs, and music wise i would say no, but showmanship wise hell yea

Captian Beefheart- ?????

Beck- no, good musician but no

The Smiths- close but no

The Cure- id say yes

Small Faces/The Faces- ????

New York Dolls- close but no

Nine Inch Nails- yes, have some great songs, and the only Industrial band everyone knows, and besides that Trent Reznor is an amazing musician

The Pixies- yes, without them there would be no Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc

The Replacements- ?????

Stevie Ray Vaughn- read Yes

T. Rex- were consistent in the 70's and some good songs so yes

Weezer- hell yes one of the great 90's/00's bands one of my favorites

The White Stripes- yes, very talented musicians the 2 of them are

Boston- read SRV

Heart- close but no

Journey- yes, only because of Don't Stop Believin'

Bon Jovi- close, ill have to say yes

Dire Straits- yes, good band

Blink-182- yes were consistent and had some really good songs

Green Day- yes, great band

Limp Bizkit- do i even need to answer this, i will... NOOOO WAYYYYY

Def Leppard- ehhh no

Stone Temple Pilots- yes great band

Beastie Boys- great great great band

Linkin Park- well its all said and done maybe but right now, no

Live- no

Nickelback- NO WAYYYYY

Smashing Pumpkins- yes great band

Backstreet Boys- ummmm no

Meat Loaf- close but no

Motley Crue- ehhh i gotta say yes, even though in my opinion they shudnt be

Poison- yes greatest glam band ever

Blue Oyster Cult- read Boston

Foo Fighters- have been consistent and are a relatively good band by todays standards so yes

Devo- ehhh no

Spinal Tap- the movie yes, the band no

"Wierd" Al Yankovic- hell yeaaa
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited April 2008
    RHCP - yes, brought funk music into the mainstream and are one of the best and fairly consistent bands for the last 20 years
    Deep Purple - yes, very innovative, brought metal into the mainstream, pretty much invented speed metal
    Alice Cooper - yes, the one who brought shock rock into popularity and made it big
    Metallica - no, just not consistent enough, esp. with any post-black album albums
    Megadeth - yes, stayed very consistent and still put out good music
    Anthrax - yes, for their innovation of rap-rock (tho i hate the genre)
    Slayer - no, stayed consistent but really only popular with its cult following
    Iron Maiden - yes, been going strong for a long time
    Judas Priest - yes, one of the bands founding the NWOBHM
    Radiohead - yes, another one of the better bands of the 90s and still staying true to themselves today
    Rush - yes, changed their style a lot, but still stayed true to themselves, also a very influential band to many different bands
    Yes - yes, one of the biggest progressive rock bands
    Genesis - see Yes
    King Crimson - see Yes
    Blind Faith - no, didn't attribute enough to music to get in
    Bluesbreakers - John Mayall, yes, the Bluesbreakers, only if they follow in with Mayall
    Alice In Chains - no, didn't last long enough to leave a big enough impression on the rock world
    Pearl Jam - yes, the most popular band of the 90s and the band that kept grunge alive for just a little longer
    Soundgarden - no, died out too soon
    Nirvana - no, though they were huge, they only really had one successful album
    Television - yes, one of the biggest most influential punk bands
    Guns N Roses - no, basically a one-album wonder
    KISS - yes, a band that had some of the best live shows for almost 20 years, very influential
    Captian Beefheart - prolly one of the most influential, most experimental bands no one remembers today, a BIG yes to him getting in
    Beck - yes, stayed true to himself and very influential
    The Smiths - n/a
    The Cure - yes, pretty much invented the alternative genre
    Small Faces/The Faces - yes, a great British rock group
    New York Dolls - yes, another great influential punk groups
    Nine Inch Nails - not right now no, not consistent enough
    The Pixies - yes, a big 90s alternative band
    The Replacements - yes, one of the fathers of alternative
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - (spell his last name right please) yes, doesnt need an explanation
    T. Rex - yes, invented glam rock, sad Marc Bolan left us so soon tho...
    Weezer - no
    The White Stripes - no
    Boston - yes, they had 3 great albums in a row and were more innovative than ppl think
    Heart - yes, pushed female rockers into the mainstream
    Journey - yes, one of the biggest rock groups of the 80s, kept true to themselves
    Bon Jovi - yes one of the longest lasting hair metal bands
    Dire Straits - yes, they had quite a few great albums, and they had the album that brought CDs to be the #1 audio media
    Blink-182 - hell no
    Green Day - hell no
    Limp Bizkit - hell no
    Def Leppard - yes, another hair metal group that lasted, up to the 90s
    Stone Temple Pilots - possibly, most likely no
    Beastie Boys - yes, pushed the rap-rock barrier
    Linkin Park - hell no
    Live - yes, great alternative band
    Nickelback - hell no
    Smashing Pumpkins - yes, prolly the most innovative alternative bands, and Corgan is a great musician and songwriter
    Backstreet Boys - hell no
    Meat Loaf - yes, maybe tried to ride out the first Bat out of Hell too much, but he was still a great musician and Jim Steinman is an amazing songwriter
    Motley Crue - no, the world's biggest cover band (they admitted it themselves on the radio in an interview)
    Poison - no, didn't really last long enough, another typical hair metal band
    Blue Oyster Cult - yes, another band that brought heavy metal out into the mainstream
    Foo Fighters - hell no
    Devo - their "one hit wonder" song is one of their worst, a very innovative band that contributed a lot to music, a big yes
    Spinal Tap - no, really a great band, but invented for a movie, they did write good songs and play pretty well, but lets face it, they didnt affect music overall
    "Weird" Al Yankovic - no, yes he is very good, but I just don't see how he can get in
  • edited September 2008
    RHCP- Indeed. Very original, Synomynous with alternative

Deep Purple-Yes. Metal Gods.

Alice Cooper-Yes. King of Shock Rock.

Metallica-Yes, probably the most succesful Metal band ever (besides Sabbath) . I just hope they induct Cliff and Dave along with Kirk, James, Lars, and Jason.

Megadeth-Yes. Rust In Peace. 'Nough said.

Anthrax-No. didn't do much.

Slayer-Don't really care

Iron Maiden-Yes. Succesful and unconforming.

Judas Priest-Yes. Brought leather to metal, and Rob's a great singer.

Radiohead-Yes. A critics favorite, and a loyal fanbase, not to mention their matrial is diverse.

Rush-Yes. Amazingly talented, sold well, continue to be amazing.

Yes-Si. Probably the greatest Prog band ever.

Genesis-Yes, but only if they induct both eras.

King Crimson-No, important but not succesful enough.

Blind Faith-No

Bluesbreakers-No.

Alice In Chains-Mabye.

Pearl Jam-Yes. The only band in the Big 4 of Grunge that's still kicking, they continue to make very good music.

Soundgarden-Possibly Chris is great but they really didn't do as much as other bands.

Nirvana-Yes. Kurt Cobain could've been the next John Lennon had he not commited suicide.

Television-Not succesful, but influentail. Either way.

Guns N Roses-Yes. Elephants in Pink Tutus when you talk about late 80's rock.

KISS-Yes. Gene may be the 2nd biggest jerk in rock, but many future Metal band members were KISS fans.

Captian Beefheart-Yes, diversely influential.

Beck-Not sure. Mabye in time.

The Smiths-Yes. Influenced tons of bands, and Marr is an underrated guitarist.

The Cure-Yes. Founders of mainstream Goth.

Small Faces/The Faces-No. Rod and Steve are great but I don't really think these groups deserve the "honor"

New York Dolls-Yes. Marc Bolan's successors, simultainously invented Punk and Glam.

Nine Inch Nails-Yes. Trent made some of the greatest 90's albums.

The Pixies-Yes. The T.Rex of Grunge.

The Replacements-Don't really care.

Stevie Ray Vaughn- YES!!

T. Rex-Yes. Glam Rock Royalty

Weezer-Mabye. Pinkerton was very influential, but they get too much flack for their output afterwards.

The White Stripes-Give Jack and Meg some time and I'll decide.

Boston-Iffy. Great first album, not much afterward.

Heart-Yes. Probably the greatest mainly female band ever.

Journey-Sure. Great Singer and Guitarist

Bon Jovi-Don't really care.

Dire Straits-Mabye. Not really well known, but Mark gets some credit for his axe skills sometimes.

Blink-182-Not really. Possibly RIP Travis Barker.

Green Day-Yes, Kings of Pop-Punk.

Limp Bizkit-No, obvious reasons.

Def Leppard-Mabye. Two high-selling albums, both of which are good.

Stone Temple Pilots-Not Really. Better than other Post-Grunge bands, but were too unoriginal.

Beastie Boys-Mabye. Rap-Rock has mixed reception, so do I with these Boys.

Linkin Park-Yes. The clossest we have to Led Zeppelin or The Beatles tody.

Live-Nah. Great album, but not really innovative or influential.

Nickelback-No. They don't deserve all the hate they get, but shouldn't be in.

Smashing Pumpkins

Backstreet Boys-Is this some kind of a joke!?!

Meat Loaf-No. Only one album worth talking about.

Motley Crue-Yes. Defined Hair, they truely are Saints of L.A.

Poison-No. Define Hair, but wern't much

Blue Oyster Cult-Mabye. Only 3 well knwn songs, but they all kick.

Foo Fighters-Probably. Dave Ghrol Kicks ass.

Devo-Not Really. Whip It gets annoying and it's all they are known for

Spinal Tap-No. Overrated Fake Band.

"Wierd" Al Yankovic-Yes, musical genius, even though a few underground parodists are better he still deserves to be in
  • CheezerRoxCheezerRox Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Yes. They've been very influentual, and have been succesful for years.

Deep Purple - Yes. Very influentual. They're legends.

Alice Cooper - Yes. Same as Deep Purple.

Metallica - Yes. Succesful, influentual, and still around.

Megadeth - Maybe. Kinda influentual, pretty succesful.

Anthrax - Yes. One of the Big Four of Thrash.

Slayer - yes. Same as Anthrax.

Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Radiohead
    Rush
    Yes
    Genesis
    King Crimson
    Blind Faith
    Bluesbreakers

Alice In Chains - Yes. They've got it all.

Pearl Jam See Alice in Chains.

Soundgarden - See Pearl Jam.

NIRVANA - Yes. Amazingly influentual, and helped start a generation. One of the Big Four of Grunge.

Television
    Guns N Roses
    KISS
    Captian Beefheart
    Beck
    The Smiths
    The Cure
    Small Faces/The Faces
    New York Dolls
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Pixies
    The Replacements
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    T. Rex
    Weezer
    The White Stripes
    Boston
    Heart
    Journey
    Bon Jovi
    Dire Straits
    Blink-182
    Green Day
    Limp Bizkit
    Def Leppard
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Beastie Boys
    Linkin Park
    Live
    Nickelback
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Backstreet Boys
    Meat Loaf
    Motley Crue
    Poison
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Foo Fighters
    Devo
    Spinal Tap
    "Wierd" Al Yankovic

EDIT: Will be continued tomorrow.
  • SteveoKnievoSteveoKnievo Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    RHCP Meh
    Deep Purple Yes
    Alice Cooper Yes
    Metallica Yes
    Megadeth Yes
    Anthrax Meh
    Slayer Meh
    Iron Maiden Yes
    Judas Priest Yes
    Radiohead Meh
    Rush Yes
    Yes Meh
    Genesis Yes
    King Crimson Meh
    Blind Faith Never heard of 'em
    Bluesbreakers Never heard of 'em
    Alice In Chains Meh
    Pearl Jam Yes
    Soundgarden Meh
    Nirvana Meh
    Television Never heard of 'em
    Guns N Roses Yes
    KISS Yes
    Captian Beefheart Never heard of 'em
    Beck Meh
    The Smiths No
    The Cure No
    Small Faces/The Faces Never heard of 'em
    New York Dolls Meh
    Nine Inch Nails No
    The Pixies No
    The Replacements Meh
    Stevie Ray Vaughn Yes
    T. Rex No
    Weezer No
    The White Stripes No
    Boston Yes
    Heart Yes
    Journey Meh
    Bon Jovi Yes
    Dire Straits Meh
    Blink-182 No
    Green Day No
    Limp Bizkit No
    Def Leppard Meh
    Stone Temple Pilots Meh
    Beastie Boys Meh
    Linkin Park No
    Live No
    Nickelback No
    Smashing Pumpkins Meh
    Backstreet Boys No
    Meat Loaf Meh
    Motley Crue Yes
    Poison No
    Blue Oyster Cult Meh
    Foo Fighters Meh
    Devo Meh
    Spinal Tap No
    "Wierd" Al Yankovic No
  • SteveoKnievoSteveoKnievo Road Warrior
    edited September 2008
    Guitar_Demigod;1291886 said:

Linkin Park-Yes. The clossest we have to Led Zeppelin or The Beatles tody.

?? 10char.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    RHCP-yes
    Deep Purple-yes why arent they in already
    Alice Cooper-yes (same as above)
    Metallica-HELL YES
    Megadeth-HELL YES
    Anthrax-maybe
    Slayer-maybe
    Iron Maiden-Hell yes
    Judas Priest-yeah
    Radiohead-at this point i wud say yes
    Rush-why the hell arent they in?
    Yes-yes
    Genesis-yes
    King Crimson-yes
    Blind Faith-no
    Bluesbreakers-maybe
    Alice In Chains-maybe
    Pearl Jam-100% absolutely yes
    Soundgarden-no
    Nirvana-No question yes
    Television-yes
    Guns N Roses-Yes
    KISS-not a fan but yes
    Captian Beefheart-no
    Beck-no
    The Smiths-yes
    The Cure-yes
    Small Faces/The Faces-no
    New York Dolls-yes
    Nine Inch Nails-Yes
    The Pixies-Yes
    The Replacements-yes
    Stevie Ray Vaughn-YESSSSSSS
    T. Rex-no
    Weezer-not quite enough consistency yet
    The White Stripes-give em 10 more years
    Boston-Why arent they in yet?YES
    Heart-yes
    Journey-yes
    Bon Jovi-yes
    Dire Straits-yes
    Blink-182-no
    Green Day-Best Selling Punk Rock Act of all time? YES
    Limp Bizkit-NOOOOOOo
    Def Leppard-yes
    Stone Temple Pilots-not as of right now
    Beastie Boys-yes
    Linkin Park-no
    Live-no
    Nickelback-no
    Smashing Pumpkins-yes
    Backstreet Boys-no
    Meat Loaf-yes
    Motley Crue-maybe
    Poison-no
    Blue Oyster Cult-yes
    Foo Fighters-maybe
    Devo-yes
    Spinal Tap-maybe
    "Wierd" Al Yankovic-yes
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited September 2008
    RHCP - Yes.

Deep Purple - Yes. Invented/popularized heavy metal.

Alice Cooper - Yes, but then again, he's been eligible for some time now...

Metallica - Yes, re-popularized metal.

Megadeth - Probably not critically liked enough to be in.

Anthrax - Not popular enough.

Slayer - See Anthrax.

Iron Maiden - Yes.

Judas Priest - Yes.

Radiohead - Hell yes.

Rush - Hopefully, but they probably won't be nominated since they've been eligible for some time now. Also, not really liked by the critics.

Yes - See name of band in question.

Genesis - Also yes.

King Crimson - Should they be? Yes. Will they be? Probably not.

Blind Faith - Cream is in there, but I'm not so sure about Blind Faith.

Bluesbreakers - very influential, but probably not well-known enough.

Alice In Chains - Probably not, but I hope they are.

Pearl Jam - Yes.

Soundgarden - See Alice in Chains.

Nirvana - Yes, because Rolling Stone loves them.

Television - Influential, but not well-known enough.

Guns N Roses - Probably.

KISS - Yes.

Captian Beefheart - No.

Beck - I hope he is, but I can't see him in it.

The Smiths - Yes.

The Cure - Yes.

Small Faces/The Faces - Probably not.

New York Dolls - Probably not.

Nine Inch Nails - Very influential on industrial, I'll leave it at a maybe.

The Pixies - Probably not, very influential to alternative though.

The Replacements - See the Pixies.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Definitely, hopefully sometime this year.

T. Rex - They've been eligible for some time now, so no.

Weezer - No.

The White Stripes - Probably, the critics love them.

Boston - One good album doesn't cut it IMO.

Heart - Probably.

Journey - Probably, they were arena rock giants.

Bon Jovi - Again, probably.

Dire Straits - No.

Blink-182 - No.

Green Day - No.

Limp Bizkit - Hell no.

Def Leppard - Possibly.

Stone Temple Pilots - No, just not original enough.

Beastie Boys - Arguably the first rock-rap artists, so yes.

Linkin Park - Maybe, they're huge right now.

Live - No, there's just nothing original.

Nickelback - See Live.

Smashing Pumpkins - Yes.

Backstreet Boys - If they make it into the ROCK and Roll Hall of Fame, I'll go kick a puppy.

Meat Loaf - Like Boston, one good album doesn't cut it.

Motley Crue - I'm leaning towards no.

Poison - Same as Motley Crue

Blue Oyster Cult - Probably not, they're really only known for (Don't Fear) The Reaper.

Foo Fighters - No, there's nothing amazing or groundbreaking about them.

Devo - No.

Spinal Tap - Maybe the movie will make it into the hall, but not the band themselves.

"Wierd" Al Yankovic - No.
  • DustincopterDustincopter Opening Act
    edited September 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;540794 said:
    Here's my list of bands. Some should be in the HoF, some should not. Some are old enough, some not. Do they deserve it? Which ones do? Which ones don't? BBEWARE-List is long.

The list:
    RHCP
    Deep Purple
    Alice Cooper
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Anthrax
    Slayer
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Radiohead
    Rush
    Yes
    Genesis
    King Crimson
    Blind Faith
    Bluesbreakers

Alice In Chains
    Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    Nirvana
    Television
    Guns N Roses
    KISS
    Captian Beefheart
    The Smiths
    The Cure
    Small Faces/The Faces
    New York Dolls

The Pixies
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    T. Rex
    Boston
    Heart
    Journey
    Bon Jovi
    Dire Straits
    Def Leppard
    Beastie Boys
    Live
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Backstreet Boys
    Meat Loaf
    Motley Crue
    Poison
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Foo Fighters
    Devo
    Spinal Tap
    haven't heard the bands i underlined.
    mostly the oens i removed were due to being younger so to speak
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    Dustincopter;1292664 said:
    haven't heard the bands i underlined.
    mostly the oens i removed were due to being younger so to speak
    You've heard of the New York Dolls. You just don't know it.