toymachinetoymachine Opening Act
edited September 2007 in Rock Band
what's it called in Rockband

and no funny business

real answer pl0x

Comments

• AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    No idea what it's called, but we have a good idea how it's used. You gain the "Star Power" by doing unison mode a few times, and they are released like so:

For guitars, the old fashioned tilt it up

For Drums, when you have the fill sections, if you hit the green drum head, it will release

For Mic, in the sections you can say anything you want, if you scream loud enough, it will release.
  • edited September 2007
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the new name, I'd be curious to know myself.

I think in one of the E3 vids I saw a popup on the bass part which said "bass groove". I'm not sure if that's it, but it would sort of make sense. (being "in the groove" for more points) Pure speculation though.
  • masterx1918masterx1918 Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    yeah I don't think it really has a name. Star power doesn't really have the same purpose as it does in guitar hero.
  • BakksterBakkster Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    masterx1918;64348 said:
    yeah I don't think it really has a name. Star power doesn't really have the same purpose as it does in guitar hero.
    Yeah, I'm still waiting to see how it all pans out, especially as a gameplay element. Will it be too common, too rare, or to powerful? I'm pretty sure HMX has playtested it to death, but I'm still intrigued with how it plays.
  • afroduckafroduck Unsigned
    edited September 2007
    The new Game Informer has the name of the new star power, but I'm at school so I can't look it up right now. I don't know if this is old news or not but I do remember reading that it can be recharged while it is deployed now.
  • CaptainHowdy101CaptainHowdy101 Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, in the new GI they confim that its called "Rock Power"
  • sporkBrigadesporkBrigade Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    afroduck;64566 said:
    The new Game Informer has the name of the new star power, but I'm at school so I can't look it up right now. I don't know if this is old news or not but I do remember reading that it can be recharged while it is deployed now.
    That's pretty awesome. I hate covering star phrases with star power. I think a few Rock Band videos show this off, too. I know I've seen it somewhere.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited September 2007
    CaptainHowdy101;64648 said:
    Yeah, in the new GI they confim that its called "Rock Power"
    Haha, that's exactly what I guessed it would be called.
  • toymachinetoymachine Opening Act
    edited September 2007
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    Akaymay;64286 said:

For Drums, when you have the fill sections, if you hit the green drum head, it will release
    Fill sections ? like freestyle parts ?
  • NazrielNazriel Unsigned
    edited September 2007
    OK, call me confused. In the loading screens while playing the demo they have, there was reference to "Overdrive" and I was under the impression that that was the equivalent to "star power."

Has anyone heard of "Overdrive" before? Is that more like the end of song jam session you sometimes can achieve?
  • BakksterBakkster Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    Nazriel;64874 said:
    OK, call me confused. In the loading screens while playing the demo they have, there was reference to "Overdrive" and I was under the impression that that was the equivalent to "star power."

Has anyone heard of "Overdrive" before? Is that more like the end of song jam session you sometimes can achieve?
    Overdrive is when you push your amplifier a little past its limits to reproduce sound properly, and it gets a bit of distortion. Of course, it might have another meaning in the game, too.
  • NazrielNazriel Unsigned
    edited September 2007
    Bakkster;64880 said:
    Overdrive is when you push your amplifier a little past its limits to reproduce sound properly, and it gets a bit of distortion. Of course, it might have another meaning in the game, too.
    It was definitely worded in a way that spoke of it as a gameplay feature, was even capitalized to signify a proper name. Given the description you provided, now I'm going to operate under the assumption it is more likely referring to the "end of song jam session" given the distortion/echo that goes on for the singer's voice specifically.

Then again, if the demo on the tour is basically the same build from E3 earlier in the year, it may not even be an official name for anything anymore... Darn speculation! Maybe answers can be found out when the tour comes to Chicago and I can chat with the guys & gals who have been living with the game week-in and week-out again. :cool: