One of These Things Doesn't Belong Here.

Comments

  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Runesmith;579155 said:
    Repost because it might have been overlooked. :)
    Sorry -- didn't overlook it. It's clever, but I'm not :D That's not it.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    a21schizoidman;579176 said:
    well, I was gonna say, that weezer, the Stones, and the Dead all have songs in rock band, where Buddy Holly does not?
    That's good -- but not what I was thinking of.

    Maybe this is harder than I thought, so here's a further hint:

    Buddy belongs, and the connecting thread starts with him. Remember, it's about actual songs.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2008
    OldFogey;579737 said:
    Sorry -- didn't overlook it. It's clever, but I'm not :D That's not it.
    This is harder than I thought. :p I'm going to go out on a whim here, and say that Weezer is the only group that has never recorded a Buddy Holly song? I know the Stones covered Not Fade Away, and Buddy obviously recorded his own songs, but I'm not sure about the Dead.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Runesmith;579981 said:
    This is harder than I thought. :p I'm going to go out on a whim here, and say that Weezer is the only group that has never recorded a Buddy Holly song? I know the Stones covered Not Fade Away, and Buddy obviously recorded his own songs, but I'm not sure about the Dead.
    Winner! (Close enough) Buddy, the Stones and the Dead all recorded Not Fade Away!

    Sorry. I didn't think it would be that hard -- for Dead Heads Not Fade Away is a standout, but I guess I forgot not that many people may know the Dead here. It's a great cover if you ever get the chance to check it out. From the second Live album, which is really good. The Dead up until about '75 or so were really a great band. It's what they did afterward that kind of dragged them down.
  • Frankie_da_WolfFrankie_da_Wolf Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    OldFogey;579996 said:
    Winner! (Close enough) Buddy, the Stones and the Dead all recorded Not Fade Away!

    Sorry. I didn't think it would be that hard -- for Dead Heads Not Fade Away is a standout, but I guess I forgot not that many people may know the Dead here. It's a great cover if you ever get the chance to check it out. From the second Live album, which is really good. The Dead up until about '75 or so were really a great band. It's what they did afterward that kind of dragged them down.
    I think it threw a lot of people off to have "Weezer" and "Buddy Holly" together. I know I started thinking "Did Buddy Holly have a song named 'The Rolling Stones?'" :rolleyes::o
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2008
    OldFogey;579996 said:
    Winner! (Close enough) Buddy, the Stones and the Dead all recorded Not Fade Away!

    Sorry. I didn't think it would be that hard -- for Dead Heads Not Fade Away is a standout, but I guess I forgot not that many people may know the Dead here. It's a great cover if you ever get the chance to check it out. From the second Live album, which is really good. The Dead up until about '75 or so were really a great band. It's what they did afterward that kind of dragged them down.
    Unfortunently, the only Dead songs I know well are the ones in Rock Band. :P I like what I've heard, though, so I'll be sure to check out that cover (and the rest of their catalog). I'm a big fan of the Stones' version.

    And now for something completely different...

    Lester Bangs
    Lance Bass
    Leonid Breschnev
    Lenny Bruce

    I have a feeling OldFogey will get this instantly. :)
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Runesmith;580245 said:
    Unfortunently, the only Dead songs I know well are the ones in Rock Band. :P I like what I've heard, though, so I'll be sure to check out that cover (and the rest of their catalog). I'm a big fan of the Stones' version.

    And now for something completely different...

    Lester Bangs
    Lance Bass
    Leonid Breschnev
    Lenny Bruce

    I have a feeling OldFogey will get this instantly. :)
    I like how you got the LB thing going there...

    Well, Lance is still alive....

    If that's right then:

    Buddy Holly
    Billy Joel
    Elton John
    Elvis Costello
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Frankie_da_Wolf;580046 said:
    I think it threw a lot of people off to have "Weezer" and "Buddy Holly" together. I know I started thinking "Did Buddy Holly have a song named 'The Rolling Stones?'" :rolleyes::o
    You know I did throw it in there so there was some connection -- didn't want it to be too obvious. But maybe I did make it too hard.

    I'll be a little more careful next time.
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    Hungryfreak;578940 said:
    Weezer because they suck?
    Dude weezer is amazing one of the best current bands imo
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited May 2008
    You obviously haven't listened to very many current bands.
  • rwiggumrwiggum Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    How about this one? It might be kinda hard, but hey, that's what Wikipedia is for. ;)

    Spoon
    The New Amsterdams
    Koufax
    Cake
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    rwiggum;580489 said:
    How about this one? It might be kinda hard, but hey, that's what Wikipedia is for. ;)

    Spoon
    The New Amsterdams
    Koufax
    Cake
    Umm, there's still one pending ^^^

    But -- New Amsterdams started as a solo project?
  • rwiggumrwiggum Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    OldFogey;580610 said:
    Umm, there's still one pending ^^^

    But -- New Amsterdams started as a solo project?
    Oops, sorry. I just thought I'd try my hand. :o

    And while yes, that's not what I had in mind. However, in retrospect it might just be a little bit obscure for most people.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    rwiggum;580617 said:
    Oops, sorry. I just thought I'd try my hand. :o

    And while yes, that's not what I had in mind. However, in retrospect it might just be a little bit obscure for most people.
    CAKE -- no Rob Pope?
  • rwiggumrwiggum Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    OldFogey;580961 said:
    CAKE -- no Rob Pope?
    Bingo! Like I said, kind of obscure, eh?
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    rwiggum;580974 said:
    Bingo! Like I said, kind of obscure, eh?
    I had to do my homework, that's for sure! Cool

    OK -- repeating this one:

    Buddy Holly
    Billy Joel
    Elton John
    Elvis Costello
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited May 2008
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;581154 said:
    About Glasses?
    YES! but what about glasses?
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    umm Billy Joel is the only one not to wear big rimmed glasses
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited May 2008
    OldFogey;581161 said:
    YES! but what about glasses?
    Billy doesn't wear them?

    Edit: Ninja'd.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;581169 said:
    Billy doesn't wear them?

    Edit: Ninja'd.
    Dassit -- you go (or NX, I don't care)
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Ok:

    The Dan Band
    1964
    Beatallica
    The Punkles
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    crap rockband beat me to it. K Ill use that one for later

    The dan band is the only one who isn't a beatles cover band
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited May 2008
    The Dan Band. Not a Beatles tribute band.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Either of you may go.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Gah, didn't see NXO's post. Either he edited it or I missed it. Either way Beatallica isn't a cover band, they're a tribute, so I'm right :P

    Here we go:

    Emperor
    Motörhead
    High on Fire
    Mercyful Fate
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited May 2008
    Hungryfreak;581728 said:
    Gah, didn't see NXO's post. Either he edited it or I missed it. Either way Beatallica isn't a cover band, they're a tribute, so I'm right :P

    Here we go:

    Emperor
    Motörhead
    High on Fire
    Mercyful Fate

    either High On Fire b/c they are not from Europe, or
    Motorhead because they are not black metal
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Nope. As a note, High on Fire isn't black metal either.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited May 2008
    Motorhead, cuz they have an umlaut in their name, lol
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Nothing that obvious, haha. Nothing too obscure, though, that no one would get. I'm not that evil... yet.
Sign In or Register to comment.