What do you think of Wolfgang Van Halen?

AeroZeppelinSevenfoldAeroZeppelinSevenfold Road Warrior
edited April 2008 in History of Rock
title says it all. I read an article about him in GW, and it sounds like he is pretty good for being 16.
I prefer Micheal Anthony, the original Van Halen bassplayer, but i think he is better than nothing.

what do you guys think?

(i would also like opinions from people who have seen him live, because i haven't yet.)

Comments

• fighting69thfighting69th Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    The last time Van Hagar toured I saw them in Vegas. I went for 3 reasons: #1-I wanted to see some old Montrose covers rather than anything Hagar had done with VH. #2= The guitar solo and #3- the drum solo.

I got 2/3. But I got a bonus when Wolfie joined the stage and showcased his talents. I think that he is great but see him as a Jason Bonham type character. While both are/are going to be great, they have HUGE shoes to fill and to me will never be commercially successful for their own accomplishments. We have seen that in JB and Wolfie will never be as influential as his pops. Just my opinion.
  • darthluigi7darthluigi7 Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Wolfgang is a pimply faced fat ass who has no place in Michael Anthony's shoes.
  • PlanetHillPlanetHill Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    What do you think of Wolfgang Van Halen?
    A card carrying member of the "Lucky Sperm Club".
  • fighting69thfighting69th Opening Act
    edited April 2008
    PlanetHill;570385 said:
    A card carrying member of the "Lucky Sperm Club".

LOL!!! Got Eddie's talent and Valerie's metabolism
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Meh, the kid has my respect. I don't know too many 16 year olds that could walk into that situation and keep their cool.

Think about your 16 years old and your stepping in to take part in a reunion that fans have waited 20 years for. There's a massive backlash that the beloved original bass player isn't there and you are. You are also going to be judged incredibly harshly based on the shoes your filling and the fact that your last name is Van Halen. You'll be sharing the stage with two legends, Roth and your dad and it's most likely a powderkeg waiting to blow due to egos. And hey lets top it off with your old man is an alcoholic meth head that has trouble keeping clean and sober on the road. IMO the kid has handled it like a true pro. I'll also give him props for sticking up to Ed and threatening to walk if he didn't get help a few weeks back. Balls of steel on that kid!

And live he handled himself very well. I saw the show both nights in Toronto. Decent backin vox, tho obviously sweetened with some playback. Solid rythm , he stayed in the pocket all night and held his own. Be interesting to see what he'll do in the years to come.
  • next jimmy pagenext jimmy page Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    i saw VH in JAX in Feb. and they were awsum. Wolf wasnt a bad bassist, but the only thing i didnt like about him is that he have much showmanship. Eddie, Al, and DLR all wer very energetic, but wolf just kinda sat there tucked in his only little spot. I did see him crack a few smiles tho, so i can tell hes gonna big soon

overall, good fill, big shoes, is almost there
  • WonderboyYYZWonderboyYYZ Unsigned
    edited April 2008
    Not quite Michael Anthony but he fills the shoes well.

Say them in concert and he and Eddie went between themselves in a tapping battle.

Tapping the bass well is pretty impressive