UFO - 70's Hard Rock / Heavy Metal

SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
edited January 2013 in Your Ultimate Setlist
UFO has always been one of my favorite bands. I believe they would be a great addition to Rock Band. Michael Schenker moved from the Scorpions to UFO when he was 19 years old, and tranformed the band into a great hard rock act.

Here are my favorite albums, in order...

1) Force it - The song Mother Mary is one of their best. Moog and Schenker really started working together on this second album of theirs. Some of the prog that still showed up on the Phenomenon album are gone and all of these songs are straight rockers. Out on the Streets is a slower song, but Moog's vocals really shine on this song... plus the guitar solos are even more amazing without the din of the other instruments.

2) Lights Out - This is where the group really came together. I still like Force It better, but many of my friends perfered this album. Love to Love starts out really heavy then slows down into a balad. Lights Out is a great song. I just don't think the songs are as strong as on Force It... but they are still great songs.

3) Phenomenon - Doctor, Doctor - a sign of what was to come. This is the first album Schenker worked on and the song Rock Bottom shows his guitar work to its fullest.

4) Heavy Petting - Being afraid to loose the success created with Force It, this album follows the same path. Still a great album though. Natural Thing is the highlight of this album.

5) Obsession - last album with Schenker. Only you Can Rock Me is the highlight of this album. But the songs Cherry and You Don't Fool Me are classics in their own right.

0) Stranger in the Night - Live album... One of the greatest live albums ever recorded... Don't expect a Live at Leeds or anything like that, but this is the album that got me into UFO. I was in 8th grade and the cover caught my eye... so I paid my eight dollars and took it home. It was not long before I bought the rest of their catalog. This is where I would start for those who don't know UFO that well.

Then, they went all to hell... Schenker left and the 1980's had AC/DC coming out full force. The music just wasn't the same without their guitarist. Its amazing how one person can have such an influence on a band. Michael Schenker puts out solo ablums under the band name "Michael Schenker Group" and puts out two great albums. The self titled first album and the second album called MSG are the two to seek out. Then his albums went all to hell also.

1995 - Michael Schenker comes back. The classic lineup returns with Moog and Way joining in. They release Walk on Water... wow, if you liked UFO's 70's album, this sounds just like them. I just wish they didn't redo Dr Dr or Lights Out. Think they ran out of songs so they redid those two to fill up the album.

1996 - No Schenker, but Moog and Way remain... Pretty good album called Hight Stakes and Dangerous Men. When you run out of the other albums, get this one if you are a fan of Moog and Way's stuff. You will not be disappointed.

2000 - Schenker comes back for two releases... but the songs just are not that good on "Covenant". Two disks, one studio, one live. Neither are that good. The magic seems gone.

2002 - Sharks - OK album. Still got the 70's sound, but the new songs are not up to the quality of the 70's stuff. Still, if you are a fan, its good to hear them back together again.

Schenker leaves the group again. 2006, the group releases Monkey Puzzle. Who's Fooling Who almost sounds like a Schenker/Moog song. Not a bad album, but I sure miss Schenker's guitars. Good thing I was able to find them on his solo release from the same year called "Tales of Rock N Roll" Really a good album. Moog and Way could have taken these songs and made a perfect album out of it... but alas, this was a MSG release, not a UFO release.

Comments

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited April 2008
    I love Lights Out, I want that whole album as DLC (it also has most of their radio-friendly (therefore, most widely heard) songs)
  • holy diver 1993holy diver 1993 Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    UFO ARE SO GOOD

we need:

lights out
    doctor doctor
    hard being me
    ROCK BOTTOM (the game really needs this song)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, Rock Bottom should be part of the game. I never did understand why they didn't make it big in the USA. One of the best bands from the 70's.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited May 2008
    UFO needs to be in Rock Band. "Rock Bottom" is quite possibly the greatest heavy metal song ever written. Hell, why don't we just get all of Phenomenon?
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    I thought Flying was very good as well although a bit strange. I agree tho Rock Bottom is a masterpiece of a song and needs to be in rock band along with the rest of UFOs work. Probably one of the most underrated bands in history that were way ahead of their time.
    edited May 2008
    A great three pack would be
    Rock Bottom
    Doctor Doctor
    Only You Can Rock Me

They should be an easy band to get the rights to...
    edited May 2008
    Sayburr;626816 said:
    A great three pack would be
    Rock Bottom
    Doctor Doctor
    Only You Can Rock Me

They should be an easy band to get the rights to...
    I completely agree. All of those songs rock hard. I don't get why UFO, an extremely influential band, has only had limited commercial exposure. It annoys me when people say, "who the hell is UFO?" They need to be in Rock Band, if only to expose them to people more.
    edited May 2008
    and also, (I heard it from Schekner on the radio) its pronounced You-foe, not U.F.O.
    edited May 2008
    a21schizoidman;626931 said:
    and also, (I heard it from Schekner on the radio) its pronounced You-foe, not U.F.O.
    huh, I didn't know that. Guess that is kinda like Fiddycent instead of Fifty-cents, huh?
    edited May 2008
    Sayburr;626970 said:
    huh, I didn't know that. Guess that is kinda like Fiddycent instead of Fifty-cents, huh?
    and Back-man (Bachman) Turner Overdrive
    edited May 2008
    Am I the only one who wants to see "Queen of the Deep"? I'd say that is a very early example of doom metal. That whole album has loads of diversity. "Rock Bottom" is practically speed metal, "Doctor Doctor" is kind of a bluesy Zeppelinesque song, "Built For Comfort" is, quite obviously, a blues song, and "Queen of the Deep" starts sounding like "Can't You See" by Marshall Tucker, and then breaks into a very Sabbath influenced doom metal song. Then, there are a bunch of primarily acoustic songs. The whole album can't really be classified by a single genre, which is one of the things I love about it.
    edited May 2008
    Queen of the Deep has never been one of my favorites. There really is no melody in the vocal part of the song, Moog just kinda shouts out the lyrics. Musically its good. There are just better songs on Phenomenon.

But, here is the song...
    http://www.youtube.com/v/ePx6BDXJyX4&hl

I just find these more in tune to the upbeat style of Rock Band:
    Rock Bottom
    http://www.youtube.com/v/lC7E22Fme5k&hl

Doctor, Doctor
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp9SYNNeAmo&hl

Built for Comfort
    http://www.youtube.com/v/0GVkvdKvJ8s&hl
  • DoughoefDoughoef Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Rock Bottom and Doctor Doctor for me. It's threads like this that keep my faith people still know music. I have really been wondering lately - just look at the recent thread requests.
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    stuff from the pre shenker era like prince kajuku wouldnt be bad either. Nowadays UFO is playing bars mostly I think an endorcement from rock band would be accepted by them.
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, sad that such a great group, never really made it.
    edited July 2008
    Sayburr;677740 said:
    Queen of the Deep has never been one of my favorites. There really is no melody in the vocal part of the song, Moog just kinda shouts out the lyrics. Musically its good. There are just better songs on Phenomenon.

But, here is the song...
    http://www.youtube.com/v/ePx6BDXJyX4&hl

I just find these more in tune to the upbeat style of Rock Band:
    Rock Bottom
    http://www.youtube.com/v/lC7E22Fme5k&hl

Doctor, Doctor
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Mp9SYNNeAmo&hl

Built for Comfort
    http://www.youtube.com/v/0GVkvdKvJ8s&hl
    I just realized that you linked to my videos.

Yay! I'm popular! *Pumps fist*

But, really, "Queen of the Deep" is one of my favorites on the album because of the doom metal style it has. Overall, Phenomenon is a really diverse album. You've got "Rock Bottom", straight up metal, "Doctor Doctor", just some good '70s hard rock, some acoustic songs, blues classics ("Built for Comfort"), and other stuff, too.
  • amlexamlex Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Michael Schenker is an amazing guitarist and UFO should find their way into Rock Band.

I personally would love to see "Love to Love", "Too Hot to Handle", "Lookin' Out for No.1", and "Doctor, Doctor" ... of course I wouldn't mind some solo Schenker (Michael Schenker Group/McAuley Schenker Group) too.
    edited July 2008
    WhiffleBallTony;923404 said:
    I just realized that you linked to my videos.

Yay! I'm popular! *Pumps fist*

Thanks for putting those up!
  • jgboy24jgboy24 Unsigned
    edited August 2008
    Yeah!!! Lets Get Some Ufo!
    edited August 2008
    If we could just get HMX to listen to them, I would assume they would be pretty easy to get. they are pretty unknown today.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited August 2008
    UFO would be great for Rock Band.(My opinion but I think their songs would work out well).
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited September 2008
    My choice for a three pack~
    Light's Out
    Doctor, Doctor
    Rock Bottom (Strangers in the Night Live)

I would also like "We Belong To The Night"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcRj6kdOjI4
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited September 2008
    I want me some UFO
    edited October 2008
    Be sure to add UFO to your requests when you sign up for the 20 free RB2 songs!
  • Thrak360Thrak360 Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Can't argue with the top 3 albums on your UFO list. All solid.

UFO Track Pack 01
    Doctor Doctor (4:10)
    Rock Bottom (LIVE Strangers in the Night) (11:08)
    Shoot Shoot (3:40)
    Too Hot to Handle (3:37)
    Lights Out (4:33)
    Love to Love (7:38)

And since I'm a big Michael Schenker fan too, how about some stuff from MSG? First two MSG albums and One Night at Budokan are favorites of mine.

MSG Track Pack 01
    Armed & Ready (4:05)
    Cry For The Nations (5:08)
    Victim Of Illusion (LIVE One Night at Budokan) (6:18)
    Into The Arena (4:10)
    Lost Horizons (7:04)
    Attack Of The Mad Axeman (4:17)

Scorpions' Lonesome Crow? I won't hold my breath for that, lol.
    edited October 2008
    Sayburr;1373023 said:
    Be sure to add UFO to your requests when you sign up for the 20 free RB2 songs!
    I did, now you ask for Uriah Heep when you do it....

lol
  • sjtguitaristsjtguitarist Unsigned
    edited October 2008
    Vinnie moore of UFO is performing at this years Guitarfest along with Dave Mustaine of Megadeth, Tommy Aldridge and Marco Mendoza of Whitesnake and Thin Lizzy, Søren Anderson, Thunder and The Quireboys. Looks like its on the 7th November as part of MusicLive 2008 at the NEC, Birmingham , UK.

Pretty Cool!

www.guitarfest.net
  • pyro-eddypyro-eddy Unsigned
    edited November 2008
    There are some good requests here but we need some more post Schenker. So let me introduce people to some of UFO's other guitarists:
    Paul Chapman:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJDy0IJZ8I
    Atomik Tommy M:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sahDULDeFB4
    Laurence Archer:(sorry for the intro but I couldn't find a better version)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_T0rwB7MVU
    And last but not least: Vinnie Moore:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63w8q6GLgR8
    edited December 2008
    Only a three star rateing for this thread? It was a big band in its day!
  • GNRrockslifeGNRrockslife Rising Star
    edited December 2008
    Phenomenon or Strangers In The Night FTW.