Rock Band For Pc!!!!!

SilvernixSilvernix Unsigned
edited September 2009 in Rock Band
How about a release for PC? If you've released a 360 version, it's already said that 360/PC programming are very similar.

ALOT of us don't have "Sit in front of you monitor" PCs. Plus, if Guitar Hero 3 was released for PC, why not Rock Band.

Comments

• whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited April 2008
  • PacoL250PacoL250 Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Silvernix;574778 said:
    How about a release for PC? If you've released a 360 version, it's already said that 360/PC programming are very similar.

ALOT of us don't have "Sit in front of you monitor" PCs. Plus, if Guitar Hero 3 was released for PC, why not Rock Band.
    I don't think they have ever said no to the idea, and I can see how one could tailor the BWT on the PC to be highly in-tune with online multi-player seeing as how the PC market is strong in the multi-player market (e.g. UT III, WoW, etc.).

Although the system requirements for the game could become an issue. Keep in mind, the PC does other things along with gaming and Windows likes to eat resources. Unless you have some very optimized coding, you'll need a beast of a PC simply because a rhythm game needs its timing down pat.
  • edited April 2008
    They have already said no to this idea a while ago in a video interview, citing various concerns, especially screen real estate. (Clarification: "no" as in "not right now" as opposed to "never")
  • HindesiteHindesite Rising Star
    edited April 2008
    Silvernix;574778 said:
    It's not as similar as you think.

But regardless, just look up some PC GH3 reviews and read the universal flaws cited in most. Those reasons are an example of a good chuck of the things keeping HMX from releasing it on that platform.
  • VenturaVentura Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    Hindesite;575772 said:
    It's not as similar as you think.
    In all fairness, it's probably a lot more similar than most people think.
    Hindesite;575772 said:
    But regardless, just look up some PC GH3 reviews and read the universal flaws cited in most. Those reasons are an example of a good chuck of the things keeping HMX from releasing it on that platform.
    If most developers didn't disrespect the pc, considering it nothing more than some sort of "cut and paste" platform, you might have something.

But how many developers really polish their pc titles these days prior to their release? Blizzard? Valve? Stardock? I'm running out of names already, it's that short a list.

You can't treat a platform like crap like that, and then cry foul when your game on it doesn't sell so well. Guitar Hero is a game with notes coming at you that you play at the right time to music, how else can you justify that requiring powerful processing hardware to run outside of the company behind it not giving a damn?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but please don't blame the pc when it's not the pc that's the problem.
  • shadebugshadebug Road Warrior
    edited April 2008
    do not port the 360 version

they already have code bases for 4 different consoles so doing a 360 port which would make it needlessly dependant on dx would just be lazy and mean that mac and linux users would get nothing
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited April 2008
    shadebug;576446 said:
    do not port the 360 version

they already have code bases for 4 different consoles so doing a 360 port which would make it needlessly dependant on dx would just be lazy and mean that mac and linux users would get nothing
    Considering the port job that GH3 had for PC, I highly doubt there's that many Macs that could even get the game to be playable. Granted, that was a really, really crappy port. But the fact of the matter remains that Mac and Linux gaming are so small of a market that it's not really worth it to pursue. Even most die-hard Linux techies have a Windows install of some sort for their PC gaming.
  • shadebugshadebug Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    nah, the standard linux types have windows for gaming, the die hards get it all working in wine.

Either way, wtf? All new PCs should be able to handle a game like this, heck, all 3 year old PCs should be able to handle a game like this and since osx and X are both less resource intensive games made natively should run faster
  • snowaasnowaa Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Why would they port it to PC? No one would have to buy game consoles if they did things like that. Give it a couple of years, and all these games will be in some emulator bundle you download for free or built in to some game you buy your kids or grand kids at the grocery store like the old Atarii and Nintendo games are.

The bigger question is why do these companies get the monopoly on rock band games? Shouldn’t there be some competition? Wait there is it is called reality.

Three or four cords, a buddy with a real drumb set, some gal willing to sing and a friend that works at a coffee house and you can just do the real thing right?
  • odd-propsodd-props Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    As if the 360 pirating problem was not bad enough already.
  • DuckDodgersDuckDodgers Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    snowaa;3038665 said:
    Why would they port it to PC?
    You're a little late to the party. About 16 months late actually. :P
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I suspect the real problem with making a PC version isn't the code base or quality. It's piracy. It's far, far too easy to copy anything on a PC (including DLC, which is Rock Band's lifeblood).
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2009
    Yeah you can already get all the charts for all the DLC through hacking so Harmonix would lose tons of money for a PC port
  • DeadManDrummingDeadManDrumming Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Graphics wise - PC nowadays can blow even a PS3 out of the water. RB2 wouldn't be much of a problem for modern (when I say modern I mean PC's/Macs that don't just run WoW :P)

Although this type of a game just isn't really made for PC's. It is a more "living room" type of game. Yes I know you can hook up a PC in your living room, but that is most likely selling to a minority.
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    As much as I'd like to see this happen, I'm too afraid something bad would come out of it. For the most part, piracy and hackers.
  • vw_fetishvw_fetish Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Google "Frets on Fire".

you're welcome.
  • crazycarp16crazycarp16 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The bigger question is why do these companies get the monopoly on rock band games? Shouldn’t there be some competition? Wait there is it is called reality.

Three or four cords, a buddy with a real drumb set, some gal willing to sing and a friend that works at a coffee house and you can just do the real thing right?[/QUOTE]
    now hold on a minute here man maybe people enjoy playing rockband instead of the real thing or maybe they do both....maybe they just want to play a video game FOR FUN just cuz they play rockband doesnt mean they have no life or deserve to be critisized because they do.. im sick people saying stuff like that...oh you play guitar on rockband WOW WHAT A NOOB PLAY REAL TAR YOU ***....i see it every were and quite frankly im sick of it... real drums or real tar deffinantly isnt a competition for rockband....of course you could do the real thing but weres the fun in playing a regular drum set by yourself making noise(even tho its fun for alot of people including myself)some people jst might prefere to test there limits on a platic midi set banging out fake notes on a tv screen against there buddy in california only to win bragging rights or maybe an xbl achievement or psn trophy who is anyone to who the competition is for...maybe rockband is the competition for the real thing
  • crazycarp16crazycarp16 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Oddbrother;3039181 said:
    As much as I'd like to see this happen, I'm too afraid something bad would come out of it. For the most part, piracy and hackers.
    now piracy comes with everything nowadays..even and xbox is hacked and modded to play bernt discs its not to far until the ps3 is the same way...technoligy advances are just used against themselves nowadays...and lets not think about the always worry about a virus beeing in user made dlc...havent thought about it in gh3 but who knows when it will or even at all
  • mimicmimic Fairly Great Poster
    edited September 2009
    LOL they said the reason is pc monitors are too small. I'm typing this on a 52" monitor. :rolleyes:
  • Luur32Luur32 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    This thread has been necro'd twice. No means no
  • JdurgitJdurgit Banned
    edited September 2009
    Here's a question for all you "Gimme a PC Port people." How many different motherboards are there? How many different sound cards are there? How many different video cards are there? How many different gamepads are there?

Okay. Now figure out how many possible combinations of these hardware parts are on there, and throw onto that the number of OS combinations, driver combinations, etc. etc. Now tell me if you would want to have to support all of that IN ADDITION to the Wii, PS3, PS2, and 360 ports?
  • mimicmimic Fairly Great Poster
    edited September 2009
    Jdurgit;3066620 said:
    Here's a question for all you "Gimme a PC Port people." How many different motherboards are there? How many different sound cards are there? How many different video cards are there? How many different gamepads are there?

Okay. Now figure out how many possible combinations of these hardware parts are on there, and throw onto that the number of OS combinations, driver combinations, etc. etc. Now tell me if you would want to have to support all of that IN ADDITION to the Wii, PS3, PS2, and 360 ports?
    So?

By that logic why would any company make games for the PC?

Oh that's right. Cause it's profitable.
  • TeamAliceFTWTeamAliceFTW Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Guitar Hero is only on the PC because the people over at Activision are a bunch of whores.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    No pc, they can't release dlc safely without it being pirated easily and that's were hmx makes a lot of their sales.
  • JdurgitJdurgit Banned
    edited September 2009
    mimic;3066625 said:
    So?

By that logic why would any company make games for the PC?

Oh that's right. Cause it's profitable.
    Okay. Name me some companies that have made comparable games to Rock Band and made a profit by putting the game on the PC. I'll give you all the time you need.

The majority of PC games are types that the company expects you to buy once, and that's it. That's the entire investment into the game. RB is a type of game where HMX expects people to buy it, then add on to it with new instruments, new DLC, etc. etc. Harmonix is not a dedicated PC Game development studio. They produce console games and have programmers on their staff who are experienced in coding for the consoles. They also plan to add more to the current list of features in RB2, and will be providing support for PS3, Wii, PSP, and X-Box 360 consoles as long as the game is in production.

Would you want them making a port of this game for the PC when it means that they have to either hire more staff members to handle the coding and do whatever they can to earn a profit on the PC Version, or take away staff who work on the current ports in order to support the PC at the same level of quality that the company demands?

Add on to this that it would be one MORE series of tests that have to be done each work to ensure that the code for the PC DLC is bug-free, and because of the extra amount of time needed to QA this stuff, we get less DLC each week.

All of this, on top of the fact that HMX would have to keep up with the relentless assault of changing hardware and drivers in the PC world, as well as the rampant piracy and extra security measures that would be needed in order to safely hold onto the master tracks given to them by the artists. If a PC version was available, the artists/label would probably DEMAND more money out of the DLC profits in order to offset the amount lost to piracy, as well as DEMAND horrifically intrusive copy protection systems in order to prevent their master tracks from being stolen and used all over the place by every dick, jane, and bob who thinks they are good videographers.
  • HawkerHawker Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    And play on my tiny little monitor?

Sounds like fun!!!
  • bostondrummer1bostondrummer1 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Hawker;3066717 said:
    And play on my tiny little monitor?

Sounds like fun!!!
    Some people have big computer set-ups, to play movies on their televisions to eliminate the need for a dvd player and such.

However, I'm not surprised they aren't doing this. Sales would be mega low. All someone needs to do is make a program that allows 360 emulation, then they could plug in 360 instruments