Rock Blog FRIDAY! 09/21/07

edited October 2007 in Announcements
Why am I writing? There isn't even a blog today! People are either supremely busy or on vacation so that slows blogs down to a crawl. As soon as the situation changes and more announcements come and there is more to talk about I have a feeling we will be right back in the saddle. Yay!

Did you read this? I love the stories behind old video games I played when I was a kid and this blew my mind. The final couple sentences of the story (it is a three pager) kind of sum up what I have always felt about game development.

So enough with the reminiscing. I'm leaving Tuesday it looks like for Seattle for the truck tour events in that area (very much looking forward to the "Eve of Destruction" which seems to showcase a schoolbus demolition derby) and I'll let you know on here where I'll be hanging out to catch a show and meet anyone who wants to come out. I think we'll do that Friday night, probably? I then leave for Portland - more on that when it gets closer. I then come home for a week, missing the Oakland stops, but will be back out there for San Francisco. Then I go to New York for early November which also happens to be my birthday. The city will never be the same. John and Jon will be covering the Chicago stop next weekend while I am in Seattle. More info as it finds me.

Any good DS games I should be looking into getting for all these plane rides?

Comments

• Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    Have fun man.

I'm gonna assume that all of Harmonix prefers to do games for "fun over money."

It's something I hope to be able to do when I enter the industry.
  • borgasmborgasm Unsigned
    edited September 2007
    Jam Sessions, Puzzle Quest and Elite Beat Agents...

assuming you don't already have those and enjoy creating music, bejeweled, and rhythm based games... but I think those are massively safe assumptions (at least the last 3)! :)
  • AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    Hey, Sean! Good to hear the ol' blog again. Lucky that you get to go to all of those events, dude. That's like, the epitome of amazing jobs, right there. Other than a Rock Star of course. But as for a DS game? I would have to say Jam Session. I've never played it. And they may be your rival company, other than Guitar hero, but the game looks decent.
  • edited September 2007
    Eliet Beat Agents is a good one, as well as Planet Puzzle League.

Also, if you are going to travel alot (which you are): Animal Crossing.

That game will suck the hours away from you for weeks and then you will never touch it again. Plus it has endless replayability.
  • edited September 2007
    Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright were fun when we had them at work. And I second Puzzle Quest-it hasn't left my PSP in months (because it's addictive AND easy to play a quick round or two).
  • tf5_bassisttf5_bassist Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like you're having a blast, y'know, going everywhere in cali OTHER than Sacramento. :P

Jam Session looks weird, but quite fun. My wife bought Picross a few weeks back, and let me just say that the game is immensely addicting! Probably one of the better DS games out at the moment. That will keep you occupied for a long long time, if you're into puzzle games at all.
    edited September 2007
    deathstick;65980 said:
    Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright were fun when we had them at work. And I second Puzzle Quest-it hasn't left my PSP in months (because it's addictive AND easy to play a quick round or two).

Aw man, I forgot about Phoenix Wright! Best game EVER! It's like one of those, totally thinking games. Then it's like "WOW! I never expected that!!"

Phoenix Wright, DEFINATLY an instant classic.
  • PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    I only had Brain age...not the best choice unless you like Sudoku...Picross is fun though.

I've only heard good things about Phoenix Wright...

You gotta let me know about where you is gonna be when you get to the northwest...
  • travmeatwadtravmeatwad Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    Elite Beat Agents, Picross, Sonic Rush, and WarioWare: Touched! are all fun.
  • no_direction_homeno_direction_home Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    super mario 64 is the only good game for the ds
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited September 2007
    Have you looked into Jam Sessions for the DS Sean? It looks pretty cool. So you'll be in NY but not Philly for the tour?
    edited September 2007
    ThePaska;66180 said:
    Have you looked into Jam Sessions for the DS Sean? It looks pretty cool. So you'll be in NY but not Philly for the tour?
    I know, it sucks! I wanted him to be at the Philly show, too! He said DanT might be there though, so that's cool.
  • skyehillskyehill Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    If you liked the old PC Worms games, the new DS Worms game that just came out is awesome. Someone else recommended Jam Sessions, but I wouldn't. I bought it and I think it stinks. It's nothing more than a strumming simulator. Yawn.
    edited September 2007
    Akaymay;66243 said:
    I know, it sucks! I wanted him to be at the Philly show, too! He said DanT might be there though, so that's cool.
    DanT? Sweet! I'll be looking forward to that, I'll probably be there on Sunday, maybe Saturday and Sunday.
  • ababypenguinababypenguin Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    I really want to go to one of the tour dates, but I am only 17 and I think you have to be 18+ to get in. What if I bring my parents, will I be able have my parents sign a paper giving me permission to play? Or am I just out of luck?

... I knew I should have been born four months premature... :(
    edited September 2007
    How does the tour work? What time does the day usually start and what time does it end? I want to know what time I should be planning on getting to these locations.
  • PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    ThePaska;66356 said:
    How does the tour work? What time does the day usually start and what time does it end? I want to know what time I should be planning on getting to these locations.
    it keeps looking like 11-6...can always hope for longer though...

I plan on being there for it's entirety at least one day...maybe two...only one more week to wait!
    edited September 2007
    PsycoCheerio;66618 said:
    it keeps looking like 11-6...can always hope for longer though...

I plan on being there for it's entirety at least one day...maybe two...only one more week to wait!
    Oh nice, thanks, hopefully I'll be able to get there for most of two days then.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited September 2007
    hmxsean;65954 said:

Any good DS games I should be looking into getting for all these plane rides?
    Definitely Jam Sessions and Elite Beat Agents. Two great music rhytm games!! Well, Jam Sessions is actually more like a portable guitar.
    And if you can wait until October then buy Zelda, of course.

Oh, and Hotel Dusk, that's a great adventure!! It's like reading a good book, but much better.
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited September 2007
    Out of the games I own these are the best...

Mario Kart DS: Awesome racing game, and in my opinion, the best in the series.
    Advance Wars DS: One of the best turn-based strategy games I've ever played. Tons of replay options.
    Castlevania (either one): Two highlights of the Castlevania series.
    Phoenix Wright: Awesome story and fun gameplay.
    Meteos: Amazing puzzle game with amazing music.
    Electroplankton: A fun diversion if you're a musician.

I think I would recommend Electroplankton over Jam Sessions, since Jam Sessions seems like it was designed for non-musicians (not enough chords, and you can't create your own chords or edit existing ones), while Electroplankton almost feels like a new instrument (which I like). Neither of the games are too deep, but Electroplankton held my interest a lot longer.

I also own a ton of other games, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them (Elite Beat Agents, Mario 64 DS, Starfox Command, and WarioWare Touched and are just a few of the ones I beat and never got back into).

-Jaime
  • TheWolf619TheWolf619 Opening Act
    edited September 2007
    Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet you when you make it out to SF. I'm looking forward to giving the game a go and meeting the people behind it. Awesome stuff
  • Major_BuckeyeMajor_Buckeye Unsigned
    edited October 2007
    hmxsean;65954 said:
    As soon as the situation changes and more announcements come and there is more to talk about I have a feeling we will be right back in the saddle. Yay!

Any chance you were dropping a hint for an unannounced track with your wording here? :)
  • edited October 2007
    Man, I can't say anything anymore without people thinking it's a hint!

The temptation to write a sentence with a whole bunch of misleading "hints" in it is almost unbearable. ;)
    edited October 2007
    Got it! You've just confirmed the TEMPTATIONS are in Rock Band. Nicely played! : )
  • edited October 2007
    Look, I will always love you and I'm never gonna give you up because I am a man of constant sorrow and you are so chic, La freak! I guess what I am trying to say is maybe you should try a little tenderness.

(and before this gets picked up as truth I should point out that I am kidding which obviously makes this less funny but saves me from having this picked up by every game blog on the net)
    edited October 2007
    hmxsean;72203 said:
    Look, I will always love you and I'm never gonna give you up because I am a man of constant sorrow and you are so chic, La freak! I guess what I am trying to say is maybe you should try a little tenderness.

(and before this gets picked up as truth I should point out that I am kidding which obviously makes this less funny but saves me from having this picked up by every game blog on the net)
    Ahem.

1. Dolly Parton as made famous by Whitney Houston.
    2. Rick Astley as made famous by RickRolled
    3. Dick Burnett as made famous by "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"
    4. Chic as made famous by Chic. aaaahhhh Freak Out!
    5. Irving King and Harry M. Woods as made famous by a bajillion peeps.

..........you heard it here first folks! Officially "Unofficial never gonna happen songs for Rock Band" :p
    edited October 2007
    hmxsean;72203 said:
    never gonna give you up
    RICK ROLL CONFIRMED IN ROCK BAND!! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!! :p