Deep Thoughts

edited May 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
Sean and Johnlok got me on the subject of carnivorous plants last Friday.

So I had a deep philisophical debate over the weekend on the subject:

If a carnivorous plant decided to become a vegetarian, would that make it a cannibal?

Discuss.

Comments

• frostywolffrostywolf Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    I think the plant would be a cannibal. Plant eating Plant equals cannibal to me.

Edit: Actually, I think it depends on the plant. If it's eating the same type of plant it is, then yes, otherwise, no.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    "Cannibal" seems to be reserved for people who eat people (they're the luckiest people in the world -- oh wait, that's not it is it)

Now -- if it were a marijuana plant that ate marijuana plants, would it be a cannabal?
  • edited May 2008
    OldFogey;591057 said:
    "Cannibal" seems to be reserved for people who eat people (they're the luckiest people in the world -- oh wait, that's not it is it)

Now -- if it were a marijuana plant that ate marijuana plants, would it be a cannabal?
    Most definitely, it would be a cannibis cannibal. :D
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Well it depends. If the plant only eats plants of other species, it technically isn't a cannibal. Just because it eats other organisms in the plant kingdom doesn't make it a cannibal as us eating other things in the animal kingdom doesn't make us cannibals.

On the other hand, most definitions only refer to the animal kingdom and, if so, a plant couldn't be a cannibal. I'm pretty sure it refers to any organism consuming one of its own species, though. They would only state animals since there are very few species of plant that can eat, so it didn't come to mind that the possibility was present.
  • McDreadsMcDreads Banned
    edited May 2008
    Carnivorous plants do not have the ability to choose to become vegetarian. They are genetically programmed to eat insects and stuff, they will never in their lives think twice about eating anything else. Gawd you people are so dumb.
  • AnarchyintheUKAnarchyintheUK Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Woah wait when did plants get free will and the ability to choose life style choices like vegeterian or cannabalism.
  • IISonosIIIISonosII Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Wow. this is deep. Surley its just a veggie, because cannibal is people who eat people?
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited May 2008
    For once, agreed with McDreads.

And the world is indeed flat.

edited May 2008
    McDreads;591380 said:
    Carnivorous plants do not have the ability to choose to become vegetarian. They are genetically programmed to eat insects and stuff, they will never in their lives think twice about eating anything else. Gawd you people are so dumb.
    Well, of course they wouldn't think about it, but there could be a scenerio where another plant winds up in a carnivorous plant's mouth. And thus they would try eating it.
  • edited May 2008
    AnarchyintheUK;591467 said:
    Woah wait when did plants get free will and the ability to choose life style choices like vegeterian or cannabalism.
    Plants always have gotten free will. Have you ever seen Lord of the Rings? Treebeard?
    edited May 2008
    Apples;591066 said:
    Most definitely, it would be a cannabis cannabal. :D
    Agreed. [fixed :D]
  • IslandBoy91IslandBoy91 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    I think the plant would only be cannibalistic if it were eating it's own kind...Otherwise it would just be like one of us eating a steak or something.
    edited May 2008
  • jrinckjrinck Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    "The other day I got to thinking about plants that were vegetarians. I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to make friends out there in grandpa's garden. It would be like 'Hey, can I grow next to you?', and the other plants would be like 'No way, man, get outta here.' If I was a vegetarian plant I would probably eat myself to get out of my misery."

• McDreadsMcDreads Banned
    edited May 2008
    Actually, now that I have given this a little more thought, a Venus Fly Trap isn't really free willed when choosing what to eat. I remember that a venus fly trap has 4 tiny hairs inside its mouth, two on each side. When two of these hairs are touched at the same time, the mouth closes. The plant works very similarly to a bear trap. So I suppose that if you forced another plant of some sort in its mouth, It would be considered trapped and slowly being dissolved more so than eaten.
  • moshunmoshun Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Since the digestive fluids of the venus fly trap doesn't eat through itself, wouldn't it be possible that it wouldn't be able to digest plant materials.. so in essence, a venus fly trap could be um.. herbitose intolerant? xD
    edited May 2008
    moshun;594247 said:
    Since the digestive fluids of the venus fly trap doesn't eat through itself, wouldn't it be possible that it wouldn't be able to digest plant materials.. so in essence, a venus fly trap could be um.. herbitose intolerant? xD
    Would it still be a "cannibal" is it ate soy?
  • dome420dome420 Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    the answer is simple it would be a...........cannitarian