Guitar Hero: Rock The 80's

LankanLatinoLankanLatino Road Warrior
edited May 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
so i played it for the first time today (and beat it..jus wanted to try out all the songs)

after playing it, i think i WILL be buying some of the songs from rock band dlc

(i.e. Synchronocity II, Electric Eye)

anyway, i was told this game was horrible. but i dont think so. after playing RB with a wide variety of rock, i found myself much more open to the 80's game and majority of the songs i thought were good

i know some of you guys hate GH3, but do you think GH: 80's was better or worse?

i dont mind GH3 THAAAAAAAT much..but i'd rather me some rock band y'know?
im undecided when it comes to gh: 80's vs. gh3..

Comments

• killerewokkillerewok Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Well, I'm going to start out that this thread doesn't really belong on this site. We like to talk about Rock Band here. But I voted for 80's: 1) it was HMX, and I liked their style more then GH3, and 2) I heart the 80's.

But still, wrong place.

Maybe if you made the poll "Would you rather see GH 80's tracks or GH3 tracks as DLC?" it would be ok.
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Well we can turn this thread into that, and I'm sure the OP wouldn't mind. So here we go...

WHAT'S YOUR IDEAL GH80'S RB DLC 6-PACK?

Here's mine:

"I Ran" - A Flock of Seagulls
    "(Bang Your Head) Metal Health" - Quiet Riot
    "Balls to the Wall" - Accept
    "Heat of the Moment" - Asia
    "Police Truck" - Dead Kennedys
    "We Got The Beat" - The Go Gos
  • litaljohnlitaljohn Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    HyeJinx1984;599377 said:
    Well we can turn this thread into that, and I'm sure the OP wouldn't mind. So here we go...

Here's mine:

"I Ran" - A Flock of Seagulls
    "(Bang Your Head) Metal Health" - Quiet Riot
    "Balls to the Wall" - Accept
    "Heat of the Moment" - Asia
    "Police Truck" - Dead Kennedys
    "We Got The Beat" - The Go Gos
    haha even if you try to do that this is STILL the wrong forum...this belongs in general....if we use your ideal six pack , then this belongs in ultimate setlist haha pretty much this thread should be anywhere but here
  • LankanLatinoLankanLatino Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    agh i know i know
    i TRIED to incorporate some RB by mentioning the dlc songs
    but hey if it gets moved then we all understand
    i dont post on guitar hero sites or anything so i played this game today and thought i'd mention it
    no harm no foul
  • TribaldemonTribaldemon Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Urgh, as much as it pains me, I have to vote GH3. I love the bands and songs in GH80s, but the cover songs are *terrible* and the charting is just about as bad as GH3 without the ridiculously dumbed down controls to make it bearable.

I'm just glad HMX took another stab at Electric Eye with RB, hopefully we'll see a lot more of the good tracks re-introduced into rockband without the feeling of being rushed out at the expense of quality.

Incidentally, the ranking of the GH franchise for me is:

GH2(360)
    GH2(PS2)
    GH1 //This is about where it goes downhill, although GH1 was a great intro to the series
    GH3(ALL)
    GH2:Rt80s

When Rock Band and GH:OT(DS) come out here I envision that they'll take the top and bottom of the list respectively :P
  • Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    I dont get all the hate for 80s. I dont own it but i played it alot. the only thing 80 had against it was that it was a rip off of 30 songs for 50 bucks when GH2 had about 70 songs for the same price.
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    *eyetwitch*

I would have LOVED rocked the 80s...had it been sold as what it was, an expansion. I would have happily paid 30 bucks for it...as it stands, I can get Rock Band or Guitar Hero 3 for the same price as rocks the 80s. I find that disgusting, since Rock Band has 58 songs on disc, and Guitar Hero has 77. That's the same price for about half the songs.

that and I don't even like most of the songs in Rocks the 80s...I like Wrathchild, Caught in a Mosh, Play with Me, Elecric Eye, and Syncronicity II. Other than that, there were a few moderate songs like I Ran and Turning Japanese. Other than that...well, I can't justify purchasing the game. Hell, if it was down in price I'd buy it, but as it stands...no interest.
    edited May 2008
    Bobman32x;599406 said:
    I dont get all the hate for 80s. I dont own it but i played it alot. the only thing 80 had against it was that it was a rip off of 30 songs for 50 bucks when GH2 had about 70 songs for the same price.
    yeah i was playing..about 23 songs done..i went back a few screens and saw "23/30"

said "wtf??"

ah well, im borrowing the game from a friend i didnt shell out any $$ for it, but still. i'd play it again you know
  • ELVIS.ShimaELVIS.Shima Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    I think RT80s songs didn't play to well on GH since its all about guitar and the first half of the songlist weren't to exciting (especially on bass). but if you took those same songs and put them on rock band? Gold!! ;) I totally want to play drums and sing "I wanna rock" and 18 To life.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited May 2008
    They need to fix Los Angeles,Metal Health and Police Truck then put them on RB. Think the FOB censorship is bad you've not played this and why they'd censor a guitar solo is an even bigger mystery.
    edited May 2008
    i was playing ballroom blitz..damn it was different as hell
    that solo caught me COMPLETELY off guard and i had no star power to save me..
    2nd time around i knew better..
  • SenRaqSenRaq Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    I prefer ROCK BAND!!
  • Euphoria35Euphoria35 Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    LankanLatino;599434 said:
    i was playing ballroom blitz..damn it was different as hell
    that solo caught me COMPLETELY off guard and i had no star power to save me..
    2nd time around i knew better..
    I haven't played the 80's GH but isn't the ballroom blitz the Krokus cover version? So I would imagine it to be somewhat different from sweets.
    edited May 2008
    is it?

i wasnt paying attention to be honest...
  • josh1235josh1235 Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    I would love to see play with me, "Hold on Loosely", "wasted time", "Round and round" in Rock Band. "I Ran" would be a nice Band song as well. Not all the covers in the 80's were bad either, "Holy Diver" was pretty rough but "what I like about you" was so good they tried to sue the company for it. I think a lot of the issue with the game was also that it was $50 for 30 songs when GH2 and GH were still $50 at the time with at least double the songs.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Euphoria35;599448 said:
    I haven't played the 80's GH but isn't the ballroom blitz the Krokus cover version? So I would imagine it to be somewhat different from sweets.
    Yup it is. It's also a cover of their cover. The original song came out in the 70's.
  • Drama 313Drama 313 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Why some of the songs from Rock the 80's arent in Rock Band yet blows my mind,specifically:

18 & Life-Skid Row (must have song)

I Wanna Rock-Twisted Sister

No One Like You-Scorpions

Nothin' But a Good Time- Poison (Theres no reason we shouldnt have at least one Poison song in rock Band

Round & Round-Ratt

Seventeen-Winger

Rock Band is lacking in this genre/era of music so far with the DLC,i'd pay hell $5 a piece for any of these songs.
  • Euphoria35Euphoria35 Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Would love to see
    Ratt - Round & Round
    Scorpions - No One Like You
    Faster Pussycat - Bathroom Wall
    Dio - Holy Diver
    I Ran - Flock of Seagulls
    Only A Lad - Oingo Boingo
    and maybe 2 or 3 more songs form that game end up on rock band.
  • Dagg21Dagg21 Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    GH2:80s was just missing something...oh yeah about 25 songs for the price they charged.

Liked what was there just wasnt much of it. :/
  • HeadHunter67HeadHunter67 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    HyeJinx1984;599377 said:
    Heat of the Moment - Asia
    Holy Diver - Dio
    Radar Love - White Lion (or the original Golden Earring master)
    I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister
    Metal Health - Quiet Riot
    I Ran - Flock of Seagulls

I'd really love to see some Asia in Rock Band. With Steve Howe, John Wetton and Carl Palmer all in one band, you're guaranteed to have interesting parts for guitar, bass and drums.
  • ppetrovippetrovi Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    I found with Rock the 80s, lots of my friends said "I love the 80s!!" then bought the game. Then they complained because they never heard any of the songs.

If you don't know Dio, Judas Priest, .38 Special, and Golden Earring YOU DON'T LOVE THE 80s!!!! All those people that said the songs sucked could only name maybe 5 80s songs and they were all Bon Jovi. The 80s game was perfect for those who loved the 80s.
  • jonfitzsimonjonfitzsimon Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    neither....
  • DSOTMDSOTM Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    guitar hero 3
    im just saying this because i played guitar hero 2 and rock the 80s is just a ****ty recolor with 30 new songs
  • o1skinneejo1skinneej Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Two words: HOLY F***ING DIVER!
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited May 2008
    I don't understand the hate for 80s, especially considering it probably had, top-to-bottom, the best song list of any GH game. Granted, it didn't have to go very far to go from the top to the bottom of the song list, but quality over quantity, I always say (of course, I know I also have quirky musical tastes... my three favorite songs in GH3 were all in the bonus list, although all of them would be better in RB).
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited May 2008
    I haven't played Rocks the 80's due to the price tag, but I bought Synchonicity II and will buy The Hellion/Electric Eye for Rock Band.

There's only a handful of songs in GH3 I'd actually pay for as DLC no questions asked. Those would be...

Muse - Knights of Cydonia
    Guns n' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
    ZZ Top - La Grange
    Journey - Any Way You Want It
    No Doubt - Don't Speak

The other songs I like I'd probably download only after I got to see the Harmonix version of the charts and if they look interesting.

I'd probably buy the other Muse songs no questions asked too, actually. :D
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2008
    killer_roach;599893 said:
    I don't understand the hate for 80s, especially considering it probably had, top-to-bottom, the best song list of any GH game. Granted, it didn't have to go very far to go from the top to the bottom of the song list, but quality over quantity, I always say (of course, I know I also have quirky musical tastes... my three favorite songs in GH3 were all in the bonus list, although all of them would be better in RB).
    I agree. Rocks the 80s sported an excellent soundtrack - I'd actually go so far to say that it had the best soundtrack out of any video game (not just the GH/RB series) I've ever played. The game just has two weak points, in my opinion:

1. The price tag was quite steep. They should have released it for $30-$40, but I still thought it was worth the money, regardless.
    2. Too much hard rock/hair metal; not enough New Wave or post-punk. And what's the deal with HMX not including a single goth rock in the decade that gave birth to the genre? The lack of goth music is the only flaw I can see with RB's soundtrack, too. I really hope NiN isn't the best HMX can do. ;)
  • DSOTMDSOTM Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    soundtrack aint everything
    besides rock the 80s soundtrack sucked anyway
    it was ONLY music from the 80s, and i know that its "rock the 80s", but thats exactly what i didnt like about it
    a lot of 80s music is generic and boring as **** and sound the same
  • visualdeityvisualdeity Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    Bobman32x;599406 said:
    Meh. GH1 had only 30 songs in the main setlist, and bonus songs have never been worth much anyway. GH 80s was fine in that respect.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited May 2008
    I had to dig through the old GH forums to find my opionion, here:

"Ow my hand......What I Like About You's frantic cord changes are the death of me. I barly passed!!!!!!!!!

The color changes are ok, like the new intro, and the 80's Activison logo!

Metal Heath had good guitar, I do miss that solo, but the best part of the song is still in.
    We Got The Beat is stuck in my head. I somewhat like it.
    I Ran sounds nothing like a guitar, but the song is good
    Balls to the Wall had a great singer. He should do the AC/DC songs if they can get one.
    18 and Life is a Hair Metal ballad, and not as good as other songs.

No One Like You is Awesome.
    Shakin' is ok, not much.
    Heat of The Moment is a very good song.
    Radar Love is too long, but has a good solo. White Lion>>>Golden Earing
    Because It's Midnite is the worst song.

Holy Diver is overated. It's not bad. Jake's girlfriend is hot though.
    Turning Japanese is easy, but a great song.
    Hold On Loosely is good, but they have better songs.
    The Warrior is too easy. Switch it with Radar Love.
    I WANNA ROCK! ROCK! I WANNA ROCK! ROCK!

What I Like About You should swich with Police Truck.
    That Police song is repetive and too long.
    Ballroom Blitz is fun and slightly hard.
    Only A Lad is wierd.
    Round and Round is the best song in the game.

Ain't Nothin' but a Good Time was ok.
    Lonely is the Night has good guitar work. I like it.
    Bathroom Wall left no impression on me.
    Los Angeles was bland.
    UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!

Electric Eye is creepy and fun. One of my favorites.
    Police Truck is cool.
    Seventeen was ok.
    Caught in a Mosh is the 2nd hardest song.
    Play With Me is almost unknown, and not a fitting end. It's hard enough, but not well known enough.

Judy Nails is hot. Not In 80's or 3, but 1 and 2 were."