Innapropriate Guitar Solos

polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
Are there any guitar solos in songs that make you think "that doesn't really fit the music"? You can even expand it to keyboard or other solos if you want.

For me it's Zakk Wylde's solo in Black Label Society's In this River. It starts pretty well, but then he just starts shredding. Normally I wouldn't mind this, but when your doing a slower more emotional song backed by piano I don't think shredding is appropriate. I'm sure some of you like it, but I just didn't think it fits well.

(solo starts at 2:30ish)

Comments

• OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    I have to say this Carpenters tune came to mind when I saw the topic. Solo starts around 1:30 at first it's just a restatement of the melody which is all right even with the distorted tone but when the blues riff starts it's a true WTF moment. And then the guitarist has the cojones to take an outro, too.

• RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2008
    OldFogey;629946 said:
    I have to say this Carpenters tune came to mind when I saw the topic. Solo starts around 1:30 at first it's just a restatement of the melody which is all right even with the distorted tone but when the blues riff starts it's a true WTF moment. And then the guitarist has the cojones to take an outro, too.

Am I a terrible person for saying that I actually really enjoy that Carpenters song? :D

Anyways, Veruca Salt's Seether immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title. The solo starts off sounding good, but it ends too abruptly and generally comes across as too underdeveloped.

edited May 2008
    Runesmith;630772 said:
    Am I a terrible person for saying that I actually really enjoy that Carpenters song? :D
    Not at all -- but if you said you actually thought that was a good solo, now that's a different thing :D (But you do have to admit don't you that the music doesn't quite match the lyrics.)

Guess I don't quite share your opinion about the Seether solo -- it's not great, but it fits OK.
  • svartikinssvartikins Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    I'd have to say John Petrucci's opening solo at the beginning of the live version of "Through Her Eyes" from the Live Scenes from New York Tour. The recording is a nice, slow, Gilmour-ish opening over a vocal solo. The live version is mad shredding. And it kills it.

• topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2008
    The guitar solo in My Immortal by Evanescence.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited May 2008
    topperharley;630879 said:
    The guitar solo in My Immortal by Evanescence.
    yeah i know that was was playing at my uncles Funeral, because Vocally, its just a haunting and beautiful song, but then its like WAHHH WAHHHH WIDDLY WAAHH, and it was so innapropriate i have to laugh about it now.
    edited May 2008
    polishdog90;629923 said:
    Are there any guitar solos in songs that make you think "that doesn't really fit the music"? You can even expand it to keyboard or other solos if you want.

For me it's Zakk Wylde's solo in Black Label Society's In this River. It starts pretty well, but then he just starts shredding. Normally I wouldn't mind this, but when your doing a slower more emotional song backed by piano I don't think shredding is appropriate. I'm sure some of you like it, but I just didn't think it fits well.

(solo starts at 2:30ish)
    I would agree -- the acid test is when you come back out of the solo into the song does it work? In this case, the song comes back at the same quiet, piano-based level, so the solo sounds out of place. If the entrance back into the song were more dynamic, the solo might not sound so out of place. This can work -- Slash and November Rain come to mind.
  • lpunderground19lpunderground19 Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    I'm not saying I dislike it, I think it's a cool solo and all, but the second solo in My Sharona (not just the solo itself but the backing instrumentals as well) just sorta seems like it's been thrown in there. That section just sounds so out of place to me compared to the rest of the song.

I totally agree about In This River. I thought it was such a beautiful song when I first heard it, but the solo really just kills it. Just goes to show Zakk can't go one song without shredding like a mad man.
  • bood-boybood-boy Headliner
    edited May 2008
    (insert song name here) by Buckethead
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Durst's 'solo'. It doesn't even fit what it's supposed to be.

[/thread]
  • fighting69thfighting69th Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Any solo in Punk Rock
  • nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    This one's fictional, but you gotta love Marty McFly's solo during Johnny B. Goode in "Back to the Future"

Actually I kinda liked it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIwDbM_4Mw
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    I'm gonna get alot of crap for this, but the solo in Metallica's "One" never seem to fit to me. Facemelting has no place in a slow song.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited May 2008
    gorillawarfare;634251 said:
    I'm gonna get alot of crap for this, but the solo in Metallica's "One" never seem to fit to me. Facemelting has no place in a slow song.
    Psst. Don't tell anyone, but I'm inclined to agree with you. Kirk has done better solos.
  • DarkEternal37DarkEternal37 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    [QUOTE=lpunderground19;632157]I'm not saying I dislike it, I think it's a cool solo and all, but the second solo in My Sharona (not just the solo itself but the backing instrumentals as well) just sorta seems like it's been thrown in there. That section just sounds so out of place to me compared to the rest of the song./QUOTE]

Bingo. That's my first thought when I read the OP. An awesome song and solo but just weirdly out of place.
  • Gatorguy91Gatorguy91 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
  • DSOTMDSOTM Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    ive never heard any inappropriate guitar solos
    i mean, if it has the same feeling as the song (happy, sad, emotional, intense, etc.) then i dont think it really counts as inappropriate
    i mean imo theres a huge difference between progression and inappropriate
    example: one
    sure the song starts out quiet and stuff, but the guitar solo really captures the anger of the song
    its not like slow song GBETER BE SLOW THROO
    i mean listen to free bird, the guitar solo sounds absolutely nothing like the beginning of the song, but it really captures the whole "free as a bird" feeling that the rest of the song has
  • Hastyl3Hastyl3 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Hearing this makes Dethklok come to mind
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Hastyl3;634766 said:
    Every Dethklok solo I've ever heard has fit perfectly with the music IMO.
    edited May 2008
    DSOTM;634662 said:
    i mean, if it has the same feeling as the song (happy, sad, emotional, intense, etc.) then i dont think it really counts as inappropriate
    sure the song starts out quiet and stuff, but the guitar solo really captures the anger of the song
    i mean listen to free bird, the guitar solo sounds absolutely nothing like the beginning of the song, but it really captures the whole "free as a bird" feeling that the rest of the song has
    DSOTM -- did you listen to the Carpenter's song I posted? I can't imagine anyone thinking that was anything but completely out of place. I think it came down to the Carpenters wanting someone to think they weren't totally lame, but to me it comes off sounding lamer than it started out being.
    edited May 2008
    DarkEternal37;634640 said:
    [QUOTE=lpunderground19;632157]I'm not saying I dislike it, I think it's a cool solo and all, but the second solo in My Sharona (not just the solo itself but the backing instrumentals as well) just sorta seems like it's been thrown in there. That section just sounds so out of place to me compared to the rest of the song./QUOTE]

Bingo. That's my first thought when I read the OP. An awesome song and solo but just weirdly out of place.
    Hmm -- I have a different reaction. It's like a completely separate part of the song that breaks up the repetitiveness of bada bada bump bump badabump badadabump. I always like when that part of the song comes in.
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    DSOTM;634662 said:
    you're right, a fast solo can be good in a slow song, but it is all about the transition.

In "one", it isn't all about speed, stylistically the triplets (or whatever they are) don't seem to fit with the rest of the song. A more musical solo would have been more appropriate in my opinion.

"Free bird" doesn't go straight into the really fast repetetive stuff with the solo, it transitions from a more muscial solo into that and it works, but "one" just jumps into it.
  • VeddermanVedderman Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Almost every solo from C.C. DeVille....at least live.

They are all uncontrolled and go absolutely no where. Just seems to shred in random directions without complimenting the song.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Vedderman;636366 said:
    Almost every solo from C.C. DeVille....at least live.

They are all uncontrolled and go absolutely no where. Just seems to shred in random directions without complimenting the song.
    C'mon, Cecil's solo's are awesome! When else are ya gonna take a washroom break, get a snack etc. ? :D
  • fighting69thfighting69th Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    AxlVanHagar;636548 said:
    C'mon, Cecil's solo's are awesome! When else are ya gonna take a washroom break, get a snack etc. ? :D

Geez that was probably the truest thing I have ever read. I actually saw him on someones most talented list, and almost burst into laughter.
  • VeddermanVedderman Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    AxlVanHagar;636548 said:
    LOL.....you know it's true!

The worse part is the dude can actually play guitar well. I just wish he had a more bluesy feel and didn't act like a 10-year old on speed.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Hastyl3;634766 said:
    ?!

How dare you bash on Swisgar and Toki!!!! They have zazz.
  • TuesdaysGoneTuesdaysGone Banned
    edited May 2008
    DSOTM;634662 said:
    I like you because you like Free Bird. I agree with you about One too. The whole song builds from a pretty slow song to an insane fast one. It's natural progression in my opinion and sounds great.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited May 2008
    Cubecubed;630957 said:
    yeah i know that was was playing at my uncles Funeral, because Vocally, its just a haunting and beautiful song, but then its like WAHHH WAHHHH WIDDLY WAAHH, and it was so innapropriate i have to laugh about it now.
    They played My Immortal at a funeral? :eek: The alternate version on the CD would have been the way to go - more accoustic, and without the "wait, we're a gothic metal band, we need a heavily distorted guitar solo!" guitar solo. :)
  • FultonPubFultonPub Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Most Audioslave songs fall in to this category. Tom Morello is a great guitar player but his solo's more often than not don't fit the song. Like A Stone is a prime example. A slow, mellow song and then he comes in with this weird, industrial sounding solo.

Hey Tom,
    We know you can play and that you can make some pretty original noises with your guitar but it doesn't mean we need to hear it in every song you do.