PS3 Expert Players Thread - Post here if you play anything on expert

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited May 2008
    You did great, 91% on Foreplay/Long Time, which is to vocals as GG&HT is to guitar (well, as the game orders things anyway). Once you get comfortable with octave-switching you can sing any song, no matter how high or low. I sing just about every song an octave lower and only switch up to the real vocalist's octave when the notes get really low.

DLC should be up long before you get online, it's usually up in the early afternoon. Sometimes the RB store might not list them under "new releases" but they can be seen when you go to "all songs".
  • ShenronEXShenronEX Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    trg007;653535 said:
    You did great, 91% on Foreplay/Long Time, which is to vocals as GG&HT is to guitar (well, as the game orders things anyway). Once you get comfortable with octave-switching you can sing any song, no matter how high or low. I sing just about every song an octave lower and only switch up to the real vocalist's octave when the notes get really low.

DLC should be up long before you get online, it's usually up in the early afternoon. Sometimes the RB store might not list them under "new releases" but they can be seen when you go to "all songs".
    Ah ok, because I noticed on Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld there were a lot of low octaves and I was singing low but I was getting messy's and strongs but I was singing so low, I was matching the lead singer's tone. What's that about? Just how does that work?

Also you're right...The game doesn't recongnize "Timmy livin a lie." I've tried singing it fast, slow, soft, loud. It just doesn't work.
  • JMP5JMP5 Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys whats up? I work till 4:30pm PST tomorrow, but im sure ill be playing RB for awhile after that. If you guys are on ill send a request. I can do drums or guitar but prefer drums usually.
  • souhei719souhei719 Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    If you guys are playing tomorrow night, I'll join ya. I'll be playing RB tomorrow after the DLC finishes downloading. If you're going to play opposite instruments and stuff, I'll join as drums just to mix it up. I'm still trying to improve and can only do the first half the of the songs somewhat decently on hard only.
    edited May 2008
    ShenronEX;653552 said:
    Ah ok, because I noticed on Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld there were a lot of low octaves and I was singing low but I was getting messy's and strongs but I was singing so low, I was matching the lead singer's tone. What's that about? Just how does that work?

Also you're right...The game doesn't recongnize "Timmy livin a lie." I've tried singing it fast, slow, soft, loud. It just doesn't work.
    The singing phrases in that song are very short, so there's not as much room for error as there would be on a slow song. For me, I match the original octave on those parts because it's low enough to be within my range. What you can do on a lot of songs is start humming in advance and see if the arrow lines up with the green line that's coming up. Timmy is so fast that this doesn't really work, so you really just have to memorize how the singing parts go by practicing the song over & over...unfortunately vocals practice mode sucks; you can't select a specific part of the song like you can for guitar or drums.
    edited May 2008
    I most likely won't be getting home until 9 or 10 eastern. If you guys are on around or after that time then I'm good. Hopefully I won't be too tired to play.
    edited May 2008
    souhei719;653586 said:
    If you guys are playing tomorrow night, I'll join ya. I'll be playing RB tomorrow after the DLC finishes downloading. If you're going to play opposite instruments and stuff, I'll join as drums just to mix it up. I'm still trying to improve and can only do the first half the of the songs somewhat decently on hard only.
    It's pretty fun actually, everyone playing their "worst" instrument. Nobody gets embarrassed because we all suck. :D
    edited May 2008
    trg007;653593 said:
    The singing phrases in that song are very short, so there's not as much room for error as there would be on a slow song. For me, I match the original octave on those parts because it's low enough to be within my range. What you can do on a lot of songs is start humming in advance and see if the arrow lines up with the green line that's coming up. Timmy is so fast that this doesn't really work, so you really just have to memorize how the singing parts go by practicing the song over & over...unfortunately vocals practice mode sucks; you can't select a specific part of the song like you can for guitar or drums.
    Which doesn't help me because it's not like I had the mic from the beginning...I have a lot of songs to learn...I pretty much have metallica down. I know that much. I just have the get the chorus down in And Justice for All.
    edited May 2008
    ShenronEX;653615 said:
    Which doesn't help me because it's not like I had the mic from the beginning...I have a lot of songs to learn...I pretty much have metallica down. I know that much. I just have the get the chorus down in And Justice for All.
    Don't worry, it seems kind of daunting at first learning all these songs, but it probably helps that you've heard them a million times already from playing guitar. I'd estimate that 4 out of every 5 songs in the game (including DLC) I didn't already know prior to the game. Never heard Welcome Home before, and now I can FC it in my sleep and it's one of my favorite songs on my iPod.
    edited May 2008
    trg007;653606 said:
    It's pretty fun actually, everyone playing their "worst" instrument. Nobody gets embarrassed because we all suck. :D
    I guess my worst instrument would be vocals then maybe. The thing is, I can pass more songs on expert vocals than expert drums, but passing doesn't really mean much. LOL
  • JMP5JMP5 Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    my worst thing would be vocals as well lol. I never sing and I suck at singing in real life for sure haha. I can do expert on everything else. so if we all play it like that then were gonna have alot of singers lol.
  • toMsons1987toMsons1987 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Vocals are tough, I swear I am tone deaf..lol
    edited May 2008
    JMP5;653682 said:
    my worst thing would be vocals as well lol. I never sing and I suck at singing in real life for sure haha. I can do expert on everything else. so if we all play it like that then were gonna have alot of singers lol.
    Anyone want to trade guitar skills for vocal skills? HAHA. I envy the few people who were blessed with the ability to do expert vocals & guitar on their own to get platinum icons. :mad:
    edited May 2008
    trg007;653711 said:
    Anyone want to trade guitar skills for vocal skills? HAHA. I envy the few people who were blessed with the ability to do expert vocals & guitar on their own to get platinum icons. :mad:
    I would gladly trade. :D I got this game believing I would do fairly well in vocals, but I mostly 3/4 star songs on hard. Quite depressing.
  • nashphx13znashphx13z Super Star
    edited May 2008
    I guess I missed out on a fun night! I just sat down and started playing my guitar and I couldn't stop. Two of my fingers started bleeding, so I finally had to put it down. Then I looked at the time, and it was 11. And it's a school day, so I had to go to sleep. By the way, I'll happily play Hard Vocals or Drums! :D

Sorry I couldn't play last night, trg...TODAY for sure!!!
    edited May 2008
    nashphx13z;654266 said:
    I guess I missed out on a fun night! I just sat down and started playing my guitar and I couldn't stop. Two of my fingers started bleeding, so I finally had to put it down. Then I looked at the time, and it was 11. And it's a school day, so I had to go to sleep. By the way, I'll happily play Hard Vocals or Drums! :D

Sorry I couldn't play last night, trg...TODAY for sure!!!
    Ever play until you can't feel your forearm? That's how I feel when I play Through the Fire and the Flames...

I've gotten use to it but I've probably lost the stamina since I've started playing Rock Band.
    edited May 2008
    I'd love to see TTFAF in Rock Band, it would be smooth sailing for vocals and a nightmarish hell for guitar & drums. ;)
    edited May 2008
    trg007;654562 said:
    I'd love to see TTFAF in Rock Band, it would be smooth sailing for vocals and a nightmarish hell for guitar & drums. ;)
    Can't sail through a song over 80 percent of the general population can't pass!
  • DDRFreaK621DDRFreaK621 Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    trg007;654562 said:
    Totally not gonna happen. I can sail through that song in GH3 without issue, but I still have problems on Green Grass.

Anyhow...I'll try to be on tonight around 9 or 10. Send me an invite. I'll play drums, guitar, or bass (please no boring bass parts).

*and I'll try not to drop any sticks tonight*
  • sothrowed4438sothrowed4438 Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    I can play expert on guitar/bass and some drums songs(the easy ones).
    I have all the dlc also. Ill also do vocals on hard. check profile for gold star pics, ill post more of the more recent ones later.

My PSN: sothrowed4438

oh yeah my AIM is sothrowed4438
    edited May 2008
    souhei719;653743 said:
    I would gladly trade. :D I got this game believing I would do fairly well in vocals, but I mostly 3/4 star songs on hard. Quite depressing.
    I was playing with some buddies last night and they threw me on vocals on hard for songs I didn't know. Needless to say I sounded like a dying cat trying to make that little arrow match up with the lines. I did however manage to come out with 80%-85% on almost all the songs. It's easier when you don't focus on any words ;).
  • papasmurf427papasmurf427 Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    I'm down for playing tonight. I'll be home 5:00 eastern - then I have some stuff to download.

I'm definitely worst at vocals, lol. But I don't mind playing Bass or Guitar either.

We could all join that xat chat room from the casual thread, and talk there.

I have a laptop that I can bring out next to me while we play.

Let me see if I can find the link.

---------------------------------

http://xat.com/Casual_PS3_RB_players

Also, I attempted Thrasher last night for the first time in forever and beat it. Also got a 5 star on WGFA :)
    edited May 2008
    ShenronEX;654596 said:
    Can't sail through a song over 80 percent of the general population can't pass!
    I don't play with 80% of the population, I play with the people posting in this thread, all of which can probably pass it. :)
    edited May 2008
    DDRFreaK621;654884 said:
    I was playing with some buddies last night and they threw me on vocals on hard for songs I didn't know. Needless to say I sounded like a dying cat trying to make that little arrow match up with the lines. I did however manage to come out with 80%-85% on almost all the songs. It's easier when you don't focus on any words ;).
    So that's why you didn't get my message. :) You're right, just worry about the pitch for songs you don't know the words to (like these French and German songs that are coming out today). That wasn't very nice of your friends to do that to you, lol.
    edited May 2008
    trg007;654949 said:
    So that's why you didn't get my message. :) You're right, just worry about the pitch for songs you don't know the words to (like these French and German songs that are coming out today). That wasn't very nice of your friends to do that to you, lol.
    Haha, yeah. I got your message after we were all finished playing for the night. I'll try to be on later tonight though. Probably won't play more than a few songs, but I'll try to play a little bit.
  • papasmurf427papasmurf427 Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    trg007;654935 said:
    I don't play with 80% of the population, I play with the people posting in this thread, all of which can probably pass it. :)
    I beat it once.

If i can get through the opening, the rest of the song is a breeze. But I usually end up failing that opening miserably.

I'd be horrible now, because I haven't really touched the guitar in months.
    edited May 2008
    ShenronEX;654544 said:
    Ever play until you can't feel your forearm? That's how I feel when I play Through the Fire and the Flames...

I've gotten use to it but I've probably lost the stamina since I've started playing Rock Band.
    Dude, you know I was talking about my electric guitar, right? I'm a guitarist in real life, as well as in the game.
    Tonight, I was thinking we could all do some quickplay. I'll set it up at around 6:30 Central Time. PM me if this brings up any difficulties, as I am not busy at all tonight. (I swear I won't even pick up my electric guitar ;))

Hard Vocals
    edited May 2008
    nashphx13z;656415 said:
    Dude, you know I was talking about my electric guitar, right? I'm a guitarist in real life, as well as in the game.
    Tonight, I was thinking we could all do some quickplay. I'll set it up at around 6:30 Central Time. PM me if this brings up any difficulties, as I am not busy at all tonight. (I swear I won't even pick up my electric guitar ;))

Hard Vocals
    Um, yeah that kind of brings up difficulties. I won't be online until about an hour and a half after that time, and by then the fun will be over and you will ignore my messages. LOL
    edited May 2008
    ShenronEX;642700 said:
    Off topic: I saw you playing Burnout. How do you like it? I've been neglecting that game for a while. In fact, I have a lot of games I've been neglecting. Mainly because no one else invites me in the other games, and I have over 30friends ( 9 of which I know personally).
    This was a REALLY old post, but I'll play some Burnout! Sadly, I didn't get Warhawk, but got Medal of Honor Airborne instead. It's no Call of Duty, but it was the only Teen-rated, $30 game at Target. Yeah, not being able to buy Mature-rated games kind of sucks, but at least I don't have to be at work all day like trg. :p
    edited May 2008
    trg007;656461 said:
    Um, yeah that kind of brings up difficulties. I won't be online until about an hour and a half after that time, and by then the fun will be over and you will ignore my messages. LOL
    Umm...yeah, pretty much. But after June 4th (Graduation Day!!!), I won't have to worry about doing my homework that I neglected until 9 o'clock! SUMMER IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!