Battle of the Bands: Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd

Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
edited December 2009 in History of Rock
[CENTER]LED ZEPPELIN
Led Zeppelin were an English rock band that formed in August 1968. Led Zeppelin consisted of Jimmy Page (guitar and Theramin), Robert Plant (vocals, harmonica and occasionally tambourine), John Paul Jones (bass guitar, keyboards) and John Bonham (drums, percussion). With their heavy, guitar-driven sound, Led Zeppelin are regarded as one of the first heavy metal bands.[1][2] However, the band's individualistic style draws from many sources and transcends any one genre.[3] Their rock-infused interpretation of the blues and folk genres[4] also incorporated rockabilly,[5] reggae,[6] soul,[7] funk,[8] classical, Celtic, Indian, Arabic, pop, Latin and country. The band did not release the popular songs from their albums as singles in the UK, as they preferred to develop the concept of album-oriented rock.[9]

Close to 30 years after disbanding following Bonham's death in 1980, Led Zeppelin continue to be held in high regard for their artistic achievements, commercial success and broad influence. The band have sold more than 300 million albums worldwide,[10][11][12][13][14] including 111.5 million sales in the United States[15] and they have had all their non-compilation studio albums reach the U.S. Billboard Top 10.[16] Led Zeppelin are ranked No. 1 on VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock.[17] Rolling Stone magazine has described Led Zeppelin as "the heaviest band of all time" and "the biggest band of the 70s".[18]

PINK FLOYD
Pink Floyd are an English progressive rock band that initially earned recognition for their psychedelic or space rock music, and, as they evolved, for their progressive rock music. They are known for philosophical lyrics, sonic experimentation, innovative cover art, and elaborate live shows. One of rock music's most successful acts, the group have sold over 200 million albums worldwide[6][7] including 74.5 million albums in the United States alone.[8]

Pink Floyd had moderate mainstream success and were one of the most popular bands in the London underground music scene in the late 1960s as a psychedelic band led by Syd Barrett; however, Barrett's erratic behaviour eventually forced his colleagues to replace him with guitarist and singer David Gilmour. After Barrett's departure, singer and bass player Roger Waters gradually became the dominant and driving force in the mid-1970s, until his eventual departure from the group in 1985. The band recorded several albums, achieving worldwide success with The Dark Side of the Moon (1973), Wish You Were Here (1975), Animals (1977), and The Wall (1979). In 1985, Waters declared Pink Floyd "a spent force", but the remaining members, led by Gilmour, continued recording and touring under the name Pink Floyd. Although they were unsuccessfully sued by Waters for rights to the name, they again enjoyed worldwide success with A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) and The Division Bell (1994). Eventually they reached a settlement out of court with Waters allowing them use of the name.
Videos:
"The Ocean" - Led Zeppelin

"Over the Hills and Far Away" - Led Zeppelin

"Time" - Pink Floyd

"Hey You" - Pink Floyd

[/CENTER]

Vote now!

Comments

• frizzy_bjfrizzy_bj The Love Doctor & General Forum Guru
    edited May 2008
    Aw man... I am going to have to think about this one...:(
  • Tender-SurrenderTender-Surrender Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    I voted Pink Floyd. Both are great bands, but the fact that Led Zeppelin ripped off a ton of other bands work in their early days and gave no credit makes me go with Pink Floyd. 2 of the greatest bands ever, though!
  • MimglowMimglow Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    I voted Led Zep. Hands down. I never really got into Pink Floyd, although I do like a lot of their stuff.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited May 2008
    This match is both perfect and a mismatch. Both are different, but many like both.

Floyd for Sympathy.

If Zeppelin win, they better not go againt the The Beatles next round! The final battle must be you know what.
  • lawrence1103lawrence1103 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    I love both of these bands, i gotta go with Led Zeppelin
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Mmmm. Once again we find ourselves with two very overrated bands. I'll say Pink Floyd, because they revolutionized what a rock concert should be. They were possibly the best live band ever. And I don't even like them that much. Compare that to Zep, who couldn't do much of anything live because Plant was barely coherent more than half of the time. While it's true that JPJ and Bonham make up one of the best rhythm sections in history, that just isn't enough for me. A band needs a vocalist that can cut it live, and for the most part Robert Plant just didn't cut it.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited May 2008
    I voted for Pink Floyd. Zep are great but they have a small library that gets old after a while.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited May 2008
    Very hard choice... The styles are so different its hard to compare. I have to choose Zep, their blues based rock just makes me happy.
  • idiotecidiotec Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Man, this one is surprising me. Zeppelin is great, but come on, Pink Floyd hands down!
  • The_Little_BusterThe_Little_Buster Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    I vote for Floyd, your life isn't complete unless you've listened to The Dark Side of The Moon all the way through in one sitting.
  • next jimmy pagenext jimmy page Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    well who do u think im voting for? led zeppelin hands down. in my opinion, zep is the best band ever. no wait ,2nd bhind the beatles. total mismatch, zep all the way:p
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited May 2008
    Hey guyz! I'm back.. :D

Well yeah, kinda. I'm grounded =[. But i guess since it is 11-11 i'll have to break the tie. While led zeppelin is major pwnage, the majority of their songs get old after a while. Playing the same thing, over and over and over again gets BORING. Pink Floyd has a wide variety of songs I like, and i enjoy Gilmour's voice more then Plants.

Pink Floyd!
  • JBDazzleJBDazzle Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    :mad: First niether of these bands where overrated.....lets just get that out of the way. Now as to who should win. Its close but I got to go with Zepplin. Pink floyd had the acid rock down and there shows where the best but led zepplin where influential and rocked out. They where a rare bread that we didn't last as long as some of us wanted but they still rock....its close but Zepplin wins for enspiring some of rocks future stars..:eek:
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited May 2008
    A tie!

Next Round Prediction:
    Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd vs. Iron Maiden
    Rush vs. The Beatles
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited May 2008
    Rush vs. The Beatles?

That should be one hell of a fight :rolleyes:
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited May 2008
    Pink Floyd for me.

Ooh, it's tied? This one should be good. *gets popcorn*
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    I love Led Zeppelin. I hate Pink Floyd.
  • DSOTMDSOTM Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    op you are a gigantic douche
    frowny face
    Playing the same thing, over and over and over again gets BORING.
    im guessing youve only heard a greatest hits album, because albums like Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin IV are full of diversity
    honestly, i love led zeppelin and floyd, but pink floyd just appeals to me more
    also i dont care who wins
    theyre both two absolutely amazing bands that revolutionized rock and were both amazing live
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited May 2008
    DSOTM;651290 said:
    op you are a gigantic douche
    frowny face

im guessing youve only heard a greatest hits album, because albums like Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin IV are full of diversity
    honestly, i love led zeppelin and floyd, but pink floyd just appeals to me more
    also i dont care who wins
    theyre both two absolutely amazing bands that revolutionized rock and were both amazing live
    Actually, i have all the zeppelin songs on my iPod. I've listened to em all. And the songs I used to enjoy the most, are all boring and repetitive..

Stairway to Heaven?
    Immigrant Song?
    Heartbreaker?

B O R I N G

And who are you calling a douche? Me or Julio??
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited May 2008
    m00p;651343 said:
    Actually, i have all the zeppelin songs on my iPod. I've listened to em all. And the songs I used to enjoy the most, are all boring and repetitive..

Stairway to Heaven?
    Immigrant Song?
    Heartbreaker?

B O R I N G

This man is correct.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Tender-Surrender;650150 said:
    I voted Pink Floyd. Both are great bands, but the fact that Led Zeppelin ripped off a ton of other bands work in their early days and gave no credit makes me go with Pink Floyd. 2 of the greatest bands ever, though!
    EXACTLY what I believe.
    edited May 2008
    m00p;651343 said:

Stairway to Heaven?
    Immigrant Song?
    Heartbreaker?

B O R I N G
    i would like to say that pink floyds music is way more dragged out and "repetitive" than any of those songs
    and while its a statement that led zeppelin plays the first thing over and over again, youre using your opinion and personal preference to back up a forced fact
    its a joke goddamn
    its really hard to choose between two of my most favorite bands
    edited May 2008
    TheCrimsonSaint;650497 said:
    Mmmm. Once again we find ourselves with two very overrated bands. I'll say Pink Floyd, because they revolutionized what a rock concert should be. They were possibly the best live band ever. And I don't even like them that much. Compare that to Zep, who couldn't do much of anything live because Plant was barely coherent more than half of the time. While it's true that JPJ and Bonham make up one of the best rhythm sections in history, that just isn't enough for me. A band needs a vocalist that can cut it live, and for the most part Robert Plant just didn't cut it.
    Please be more precise about the word overrated. For exemple, I do believe that certain people love the song Money only because everyone likes it. Others only like Another Brick in The Wall (pt 2) only because it sais "We don't need no education". But this is my all time fav band. I'm not telling you it's the best band ever but I can tell you I'm not overrating them. If you felt what I feel when I listen to Atom Earth Mother, you wouldn't call it overrating. It's just people don't feel the same about the same songs. I don't like AC/DC, I'm convinced it's boring and it always sounds the same, but if you like their sound, well you don't mind it repeats. I don't like the whole overrated wave of threads out there and the trend to use that word everywhere. Few bands or people are overrated, many don't touch everyone. I think Celine Dion is overrated only because I hate her voice, but maybe she's not, I can't say, I don't understand why people like her so I don't have to drag her down with all the pop music. Anyway. I've done that kind of thing a couple of time and I'll do it again, but I still know I'm often wrong when I judge a person's talent.
  • frizzy_bjfrizzy_bj The Love Doctor & General Forum Guru
    edited May 2008
    After thinking this over a bit, I have decided on Pink Floyd...:cool:
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited May 2008
    DSOTM;651454 said:
    i would like to say that pink floyds music is way more dragged out and "repetitive" than any of those songs
    and while its a statement that led zeppelin plays the first thing over and over again, youre using your opinion and personal preference to back up a forced fact

its a joke goddamn
    its really hard to choose between two of my most favorite bands
    Definitley not just my opinion. I know countless others that think some of zeppelin's songs are repetitive and stupid. The thing that bothers me is their are about 4/5 zeppelin songs that sound completely alike. While when you buy a pink floyd album, you actually get your money's worth.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    I went back and forth a bit before voting. Not a huge fan of either. I like some stuff from both but find the majority of either a bit much. Ultimately I cast my vote for the thieves. Page was one of my first influences in playing guitar and genreally speaking I like a bit more of Zep than Floyd.
  • TakeABowTakeABow Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Pink Floyd wins in my book.
    edited May 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;651101 said:
    A tie!

Next Round Prediction:
    Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd vs. Iron Maiden
    Rush vs. The Beatles
    Rush VS Bealtes? This would be quite weird. You can't compare those bands. I know for who I would vote (Beatles) but I don't know wich of these 2 is the best band (not only talking about instrumental talent)....
    edited May 2008
    m00p;651489 said:
    Definitley not just my opinion. I know countless others that think some of zeppelin's songs are repetitive and stupid. The thing that bothers me is their are about 4/5 zeppelin songs that sound completely alike. While when you buy a pink floyd album, you actually get your money's worth.
    tons of people think pink floyd is boring
    therefore, pink floyd is boring
    also i wouldnt go so far as to say that 4/5 led zep songs sound the same
    id say that at least half of their songs follow their "hard rock" style
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited May 2008
    DSOTM;651508 said:
    tons of people think pink floyd is boring
    therefore, pink floyd is boring
    also i wouldnt go so far as to say that 4/5 led zep songs sound the same
    id say that at least half of their songs follow their "hard rock" style
    Well if your into your songs sounding the same and that "hard rock" style, then fine, whatever. Zeppelin was a huge influence because of Page and Bonham.

You should obviously change your name if you hate the band THAT much.