Cars interview

HMXMusomanHMXMusoman Harmonix Developer
edited May 2008 in Announcements
Cars keyboardist Greg Hawkes helps us celebrate this week, going into some detail about the Cars eartly history and the events leading up to that monolithic first album...

http://www.rockband.com/blog/entry/331690

Hope you're enjoying this new batch of DLC. I have a million memories associated with that album-- high school/college romance music for sure.

Comments

• raging poodleraging poodle Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    I remember being a high school freshman in 1978 and during the volleyball marathon the 8-TRACK! that kept getting played over and over was the Cars album. No one complained, everyone kept saying "put the Cars back in".

The sound was totally unique and fresh when it came out and it still sounds great today, inspired choice, one of the few great albums that is perfect from the first track to the last. I remember how atmospheric, moody, and fresh it was, we ALL bought Candy-O the day it came out, another great album. I liked Panorama a lot too. They never put out a bad album, but I think the first album was a 10, the second a 9, the third an 8, and so on. A lot of bands would like to have that kind of batting average.
  • DesensitizedDesensitized Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Great job. The Cars is a perfect album, I'm glad it made Rock Band.

I saw a mention of Jonathan Richman...

Modern Lovers for DLC? PLEASE? :p
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Very nice. It's a great album, but I haven't the money to get it. I'm waiting for that one week that just completely blows me away, like an Iron Maiden album, Tool pack, or Muse pack.
  • Room_on_FireRoom_on_Fire Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    That is so cool. I wish I were born in 1978.
  • JigenJigen Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Awesome interview. The Cars DLC has made my 360 a helluva lot happier this week... keep up the great work!!!
  • screwtopscrewtop Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    That was a nice read.

I know that I'm just reading into things, but I have my fingers crossed that the headline "I Want My, I Want My DLC" portends some Dire Straits making into the weekly release real soon. 'Cause I do want my MTV!
  • HMXMusomanHMXMusoman Harmonix Developer
    edited May 2008
    raging poodle;675333 said:
    . They never put out a bad album, but I think the first album was a 10, the second a 9, the third an 8, and so on. A lot of bands would like to have that kind of batting average.
    Hard to choose, but I think the second (Candy-O) is my favorite...."Dangerous Type" is definitely my favorite Cars song. I'm also pretty partial to "Shake It Up" (the 4th), really underrated album.

And I don't have any say in those matters, but I'd love it if the Modern Lovers made it to DLC. Road Runner or Pablo Picasso? She Cracked? So many classics there.
  • HMXMusomanHMXMusoman Harmonix Developer
    edited May 2008
    screwtop;677124 said:

I know that I'm just reading into things, but I have my fingers crossed that the headline "I Want My, I Want My DLC" portends some Dire Straits making into the weekly release real soon. 'Cause I do want my MTV!

Not saying that Dire Straits will never make it, but sorry to say, that was just a joke for its own sake...
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    Great read. I can't wait, just one more day and I'll be able to get the album for Rock Band!

-Jaime
  • massconfuzionmassconfuzion Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    Awesome! The Cars have now completed my musical dream come true from my earliest memories of first falling in love with rock music and tape recording Good Times Roll onto a cassette from a FM radio creating my early rock and roll mix tapes when I was 10 to playing Bye Bye Love with my 7 and 9 year old boys! Awesome evolution of musical experiences in my opinion, keep up the great work Harmonix!
  • ddboomddboom Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    [QUOTE=HMXMusoman;677285]Hard to choose, but I think the second (Candy-O) is my favorite...."Dangerous Type" is definitely my favorite Cars song. I'm also pretty partial to "Shake It Up" (the 4th), really underrated album.

I second that. Candy-O is my favorite too. I was shocked when i found out they were putting The Cars out for dlc. Theres so many great albums out there. I can see how hard it must be to choose which group. Before i was blinded and obsessed by 80s metal, the cars where one of my favorite bands. I saw them on the Shake it up and Heartbeat City tours. Elliot Easton is a very underated guitarist.
  • DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    LOVING LOVING LOVING The Cars album! Thanks so much!
  • screwtopscrewtop Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    ddboom;682534 said:
    Candy-O is my favorite too.
    I got a tape of Heartbeat City when I was a kid; I used to listen to it nonstop. I especially loved the cover art with the pin-up girl, though she had nothing on the chick from the Candy-O cover. :D
  • JRSPipboy2008JRSPipboy2008 Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    My first experience with The Cars .. the thing that really put them on my personal music map was "You Might Think". I loved that song so much, and the video is AWESOME! Classic 80's. Back then I didn't really know who sang what songs, but I knew the Cars sang that one. As the years passed I became familiar with their other works.

This is a great DLC experience and I'm really having an awesome time living vicariously thought RB.