Rock Blog Tuesday 10/09/07

edited October 2007 in Announcements
First of all - thank you all so much. We just got a little gift in the mail from all of you and it was awesome. Right now people are forming a line to walk down its length and read it. That was a wicked awesome thing to do. Here is what the final banner looked like when it came. I would show it in more detail but it would frankly take for over as it is gigantic.

image

You have successfully re-stoked everyone here. It is funny working on a project like this. It is very easy to lose sight of the game when you are working on it between 8-18 hours a day for months or years on end. Getting some like this from the community kind of brings it all back into perspective. Big thanks to all of you and to Apples for putting this together. Amazing!

I got back from Seattle Saturday morning and managed to stagger coughing back to my house where I remained for the rest of the weekend. It was awesome. I also managed to play beaucoup Halo 3 and even ventured to some online matches where I handily gave out beatdowns. I like to play without the headset and be the silent reckoning. I also have the Orange Box coming to me this week... probably tomorrow. One thing is for certain - I hope my job doesn't interfere with my Team Fortress - there will be hell to pay.

Umm what else? Back in the office today after a nice Columbus Day out. My desk was moved while I was out (with my full knowledge... it isn't like someone just decided to move my stuff because they thought it was funny and now my desk is in the restroom though that would be funny and I may do it next time John Drake goes out on the road.) Tons of meetings. Tons of catching up. Great to be back and seeing everyone. I don't know when I am going out on the road again but I'll let you know when I do. Maybe we can hang out.

BLOGS!


Apples with the banner awesomosity.

Canfield in Montreal with THE Sandy Pearlman. So. Much. Cowbell.

Comments

  • edited October 2007
    The orange box is so fun. You will not be disappointed.

    It's practically all I have to tide over my PC gaming these days. I was even banned from one TF2 server already because I was "doing too well as a medic, and that seemed suspicious"

    MEDIIIIC !!!!
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited October 2007
    That banner looks really cool. Wish I could see it in person.
  • PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
    edited October 2007
    Banner looks sick! Nice going Apples...

    So I've had the Orange Box for some time on my PC now too...can't wait to give Portal a try tonight at midnight...

    so did you get the orange box for PC or 360?
  • edited October 2007
    360. I think it shows up tomorrow. If I am mysteriously absent from work on Thursday you will know why.

    I would have installed it on my PC but it is mad unstable and a little out of date. I also have a Macbook Pro with Boot Camp but it is a little awkward for that sort of a game.
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    Thats an awesome banner, I'm happy I got to be a part of it! It came together really nicely. And its huge, thats just amazing! Great idea Apple, and awesome job putting it all together!

    Halo 3 online is pretty sweet Sean, but I hear TF2 is even sweeter, if I had any cash left to spend I would probably have gotten it already so I could play the beta.
  • PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
    edited October 2007
    hmxsean;75027 said:
    360. I think it shows up tomorrow. If I am mysteriously absent from work on Thursday you will know why.

    I would have installed it on my PC but it is mad unstable and a little out of date. I also have a Macbook Pro with Boot Camp but it is a little awkward for that sort of a game.
    Oh, that's so sad...I wont be able to annihilate you in TF2 now...
  • kilroykilroy Unsigned
    edited October 2007
    I was just informed by a very reliable source that the drums and mic have been pushed back to Feb 4. Is this true! Is this new or am I just terribly uninformed? I am a Game Center owner and Rock Band will lose most of its value if it is just another "guitar hero" (no offense). I have big promotions and a stage planned for this release. Please say it ain't so.
  • hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited October 2007
    I don't really want to derail this entire thread, but I do believe you've been grossly misinformed. Why would instruments come out on a random Sunday in February almost 2 and half months after the game has come out? They have been touring for quite some time with working mics and drums, and they still have 6 weeks till the game comes out.

    P.S. I hate you guys, the Orange Box got delayed for the PS3. :p
  • kilroykilroy Unsigned
    edited October 2007
    Sorry, I thought this was a Rock Band thread for today! Seems if this were true, it would be appropriate. If it is false, what better place to straighten it out. A thread about Orange Box hardly seems appropriate but it is what people want to talk about - that makes it appropriate.
    Aside from your snotty remark, The GT and soon RB franchises are extremely important to my livelyhood so excuse me if I don't go through some kind of official channels to get some horrible information corrected. I really, really appreciate your getting the truth back to me so quickly. That is what I was hoping, but I just received independent confirmation of a delay. If a rumor is spreading please watch for it. I'm going with your version both because it is better for my business and I want it to be true.

    PS - the info is coming from retail delivery channels.

    Edit - btw...they were traveling with a few sets of drums. Maybe there is a problem with manufacturing 100,000 sets with the same high quality. Just a possibility.
  • Electric_ZenElectric_Zen Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    I have been waiting seven years for Team Fortress 2. Send me your friend request if you are down for some fun social matches. Gamertag: Electric Zen
  • kilroykilroy Unsigned
    edited October 2007
    My BAD! :o The Rock Band bundle will release on time.:D However, the drums and microphone will not be available separately until Feb 4. I just hope nothing breaks!
  • hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited October 2007
    I wasn't trying to be snobby and I apologize if it came off that way. The thing is that the bundle has been confirmed for Nov. 23. So you should have no problem setting up stands and signs for that. Now if you are talking about individual instruments, it would be a death wish for Harmonix to put such a delay because I know there are some people set in their ways about wanting Drums+Game and thats it, but as estimates go now that would put the price at 135-145. (Game 60, Drums would make up the rest.)

    I guess since you are running the business you would want to try and have people upgrade to the Special Edition (the whole bundle, 169+tax for next-gen systems) Now they may not have tons of mics, and drums available to buy separately but to have none for 2 1/2 months just seems almost inconceivable.
  • AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited October 2007
    Dude...so awesome!! I thought Apples was just making some little web page or something. That's so much more righteous! Also, check it:

    image

    Good ol' Eagle Eyes! But really, if I knew the card was going to be so crazy awesome, I would have made it SO much more awesome. Seriously, I like, worship the ground you guys walk on. You seriously have some fans here, dude. You may not know it, but you guys are really famous.

    But anyway, really. Awesome.
  • masterx1918masterx1918 Rising Star
    edited October 2007
    wow I can't remember if I posted on that or not. I feel stupid if I didn't
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    I missed the banner? Damn I feel like an ass. :(

    I totally wanted to contribute but because my PSP browser is so limited I tried to wait until I got to a PC. Coincidentally I did today.

    Well to those who actually did: I salute you!

    And of course to Harmonix: I worship you!
  • travmeatwadtravmeatwad Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    I really wanted to be a part of the banner.. The thread was locked before I could post, though.
  • edited October 2007
    Akaymay;75106 said:
    Dude...so awesome!! I thought Apples was just making some little web page or something. That's so much more righteous! Also, check it:


    Good ol' Eagle Eyes! But really, if I knew the card was going to be so crazy awesome, I would have made it SO much more awesome. Seriously, I like, worship the ground you guys walk on. You seriously have some fans here, dude. You may not know it, but you guys are really famous.

    But anyway, really. Awesome.
    Wow... it really is you in that picture. I had to go back to the super zoomed in photos I took to see that. Good ol' Eagle Eyes indeed sir. Well met.


    Xzyliac;75119 said:
    I missed the banner? Damn I feel like an ass. :(

    I totally wanted to contribute but because my PSP browser is so limited I tried to wait until I got to a PC. Coincidentally I did today.

    Well to those who actually did: I salute you!

    And of course to Harmonix: I worship you!
    Don't worry, you can start thinking of your comment for Rock Band 2. I plan to construct a life-like model of HMX_Sean out of popsicle sticks with fan comments printed on each stick. Think up the best comment and you may find your comment posted to the coveted "sinister mustache" position. :) :p ;)
  • SmokaColaSmokaCola Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    hmxsean;75027 said:
    360. I think it shows up tomorrow. If I am mysteriously absent from work on Thursday you will know why.

    I would have installed it on my PC but it is mad unstable and a little out of date. I also have a Macbook Pro with Boot Camp but it is a little awkward for that sort of a game.
    I have it for the PC man and let me tell you, well worth the cash. I've been playing on the beta for quite a while now and what they did with graphics and characters is just amazing. They seemed to fit every class perfect with a certain accent. The only thing they don't have that I liked a lot in TFC is grenades, hopefully they'll add those back in with patches.

    Oh and if you play heavy make sure you have a medic close by so he can use his uber charge on you :p
  • edited October 2007
    Nice work Apples, banner looks awesome!

    I never got around to adding anything to it, no matter how hard i tired i was unable to word my emotions for the game and its many developers.
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    sa_nick;75144 said:
    Nice work Apples, banner looks awesome!

    I never got around to adding anything to it, no matter how hard i tired i was unable to word my emotions for the game and its many developers.
    Nick being serious? Say it ain't so Nick! Where's that satirical tone of yours?
  • edited October 2007
    SmokaCola;75137 said:
    I have it for the PC man and let me tell you, well worth the cash. I've been playing on the beta for quite a while now and what they did with graphics and characters is just amazing. They seemed to fit every class perfect with a certain accent. The only thing they don't have that I liked a lot in TFC is grenades, hopefully they'll add those back in with patches.

    Oh and if you play heavy make sure you have a medic close by so he can use his uber charge on you :p
    I hate to break it to you, but if you read the developer commentary, they mention grenades being specifically taken out as part of the overall design. By their reasoning, it lead to a lot of "spam fests", stalemates, and choke point situations. All of that was providing too much of an advantage to defenders for the objective-based missions.

    I can't say I disagree with that logic having played TF and TFC... although some classes seem like they could use a bit more "oomph" offensively.
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    Yea i bought two worlds used today, shouldve totally waited for to get the orange box tomorrow. That was quite silly.

    Anyways, Nice work apples. I am extremely impressed with your work.
  • edited October 2007
    I have some comments and PMs from folks looking to see how their specific name turned out on the banner. Here are some high-res photos I grabbed. Those who participated can have some fun searching for themselves... a vertiable Where's Waldo personalized just for you! And if you're up for a real challenge, try to find the person that cheated and got his name/avatar on the card twice. Shame on them!



    Meaty Close Ups of the whole banner:

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/3.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/4.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/5.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/6.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/7.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/9.jpg



    Close up on the album pics: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/8.jpg

    Scorehero section: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/11.jpg

    Side View: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/2.jpg

    Attached Letter: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/10.jpg

    Constructing the banner: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/1.jpg

    Generally those who posted first (rockband forums) are on the left side of the card. The scorehero posters are generally on the far right.

    I tried to lay out the card in such a way that there wouldn't be a "bad" spot. Everyone's entry is right next to a cool picture or the row of albums, etc.
  • DesensitizedDesensitized Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    travmeatwad;75123 said:
    I really wanted to be a part of the banner.. The thread was locked before I could post, though.
    Same here.

    Good job though. Looks great! :)
  • crunchyoverseascrunchyoverseas Opening Act
    edited October 2007
    Xzyliac;75119 said:
    I missed the banner? Damn I feel like an ass. :(

    I totally wanted to contribute but because my PSP browser is so limited I tried to wait until I got to a PC. Coincidentally I did today.

    Well to those who actually did: I salute you!

    And of course to Harmonix: I worship you!
    What? Xzyliac didn't get in on the banner? What a noob...:p
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    Apples;75379 said:
    I have some comments and PMs from folks looking to see how their specific name turned out on the banner. Here are some high-res photos I grabbed. Those who participated can have some fun searching for themselves... a vertiable Where's Waldo personalized just for you! And if you're up for a real challenge, try to find the person that cheated and got his name/avatar on the card twice. Shame on them!



    Meaty Close Ups of the whole banner:

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/3.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/4.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/5.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/6.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/7.jpg

    http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/9.jpg



    Close up on the album pics: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/8.jpg

    Scorehero section: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/11.jpg

    Side View: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/2.jpg

    Attached Letter: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/10.jpg

    Constructing the banner: http://72.198.210.201:81/RB/1.jpg
    ahh there i am in all my 311-loving glory
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    Ooh thanks for posting that Apples, I found myself after a long search I realized I'm actually right at the bottom of the first column. The banner came out so great.
  • SmokaColaSmokaCola Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    Apples;75297 said:
    I hate to break it to you, but if you read the developer commentary, they mention grenades being specifically taken out as part of the overall design. By their reasoning, it lead to a lot of "spam fests", stalemates, and choke point situations. All of that was providing too much of an advantage to defenders for the objective-based missions.

    I can't say I disagree with that logic having played TF and TFC... although some classes seem like they could use a bit more "oomph" offensively.
    That kinda blows, never seemed to be a problem in the earlier games =\. Ah well, it's fine as it is anyways, they keep adding in little extras here and there and it's really nice. You guys will definitely enjoy the game if you don't have your hands on the beta atm.
  • PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
    edited October 2007
    I'm hoping there is a way down the line to add in PC vs X360...I'm not at all sure how that all works but it would be nice since none of my friends actually have a PC good enough to run any newer games, but they all got 360's...
  • OxyploxOxyplox Opening Act
    edited October 2007
    Awesome, I'm one of the first on the left.
    It came out verreh nice~ :)
Sign In or Register to comment.