What was your first....

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited June 2008 in History of Rock
So, everyone, what was the first album you bought?
I remember buying my first CD, in 8th grade (first time I got a CD player), I bought AC/DC Back In Black only knowing I liked AC/DC from what I had heard on the radio, I actually was looking for Let There Be Rock, but couldn't find it, I had to choose between Back In Black and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, somehow I ended up with Back In Black, I also bought the Rolling Stones' Forty Licks both at Target.

I also remember buying my first record, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer's Welcome Back My Friends (live) vinyl LP, I bought it at a record store in Mint Condition for 15 bucks, a triple LP. I couldn't believe it, original pressing too!, I bought that in my junior year of high school, after that it would be a while until I got my next one.

Now, I have close to 800 cds on disc, plus maybe another 20 or 30 on my computer alone, and very close to 300 records (including 45 rpms) but these are very memorable, I can't remember my first cassette or 8 track, thought I have many of those too.

So, who else wants to tell about that special, memorable first album you bought?

Comments

• AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    First rock albums I bought were David Bowie's Let's Dance and Def Leppard's Pyromania.

First one I owned was AC/DC Dirty Deeds, a birthday gift when I was in grade 7.
  • lpunderground19lpunderground19 Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    Smash Mouth's Astro Lounge if that counts............

First rock album was LP's Live in Texas
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    The first album I ever bought was David Bowie's "Changes."
  • CosmaCosma Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Now don't laugh but the first I owned was a gift when I turned 13, it was KISS Double Platinum.....ON 8 TRACK

First one I ever bought was KISS Alive II under the advise of a cousin

However my first album that I decided to by on my own was Heart Dreamboat Annie and Little Queen.
  • LinksOcarinaLinksOcarina Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    The Beatles Yellow Submarine.

One of my favorites to this day.
  • LokifiregodLokifiregod Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    my first album was van halen greatest hits volume 1
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited May 2008
    I remember I bought Oasis's (What's the Story) Morning Glory with a Barnes & Noble gift card about 5 years ago, mostly beacause I heard "Wonderwall" on the radio and liked it.

By coincidence, I'm listening to it right now.

My first actual record was OK Computer by Radiohead.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited May 2008
    First albums I ever bought (I got them at the same time):
    Brave New World, Iron Maiden
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Iron Maiden

I'd like to say that I made two good choices.
  • zDisturbedOnezzDisturbedOnez Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    Well never really paid for it cause when your 8 and decide to do the columbia house thing.

Got these 10 cassettes

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
    Motley Cure - Theatre of Pain
    Cinderella - Night Songs
    Dokken - Under Lock and Key
    Dokken - Back for the Attack
    Poison - Look What the Cat Dragged In
    Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz
    Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    and last but not least Beastie Boys - Liscensed to Ill
  • PastorO MuppetsPastorO Muppets Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    My First album was KISS - Destroyer in 1976 I was 10

yes I'm 42

Then someone gave me a cassette tape with
    Rush - 2112 and Rush - Caress of Steel on it and have been a Rush fan ever since
  • CosmaCosma Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Fly by Night was my 1st Rush album....and second purchase after Heart
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    First two albums (both from my brother)

The Battle for Everything by Five for Fighting
    American Idiot by Green Day

Both opened up rock to me and gave me something to listen to that wasn't pop or rap (rap was due to friends playing it all the time...)
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited May 2008
    Sounds of Summer by The Beach Boys. Pretty good for a compilation album.
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    The first album that I purchased was "A Little Bit of Mambo" by Lou Bega in 1999. If you don't remember he did this song:

I think my parents bought me an N*SYNC album before that.

Ahh that music brings me fond memories.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    I was 5 and bought Back in Black when it came out. I honestly don't know why, it certainly didn't shape my life and I would buy plenty of bad music I saw on Solid Gold not long after. I remember one of my favorite albums around this time being a K-Tel comp called High Voltage - I actually owned it on LP, Casette and 8-track, though my LP was left near a window by my babysitter and I threw a huge fit.
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Cosma;684012 said:
    Now don't laugh but the first I owned was a gift when I turned 13, it was KISS Double Platinum.....ON 8 TRACK

First one I ever bought was KISS Alive II under the advise of a cousin

However my first album that I decided to by on my own was Heart Dreamboat Annie and Little Queen.
    I can't remember if mine was Journey "Escape" or Van Halen "Diver Down"...On 8 track. (I'm not laughing). lol
    King_Nuthin;684887 said:
    I was 5 and bought Back in Black when it came out. I honestly don't know why, it certainly didn't shape my life and I would buy plenty of bad music I saw on Solid Gold not long after. I remember one of my favorite albums around this time being a K-Tel comp called High Voltage - I actually owned it on LP, Casette and 8-track, though my LP was left near a window by my babysitter and I threw a huge fit.
    I'm looking at that album right now. It's called "High Energy". There are 2 good ones on there. "Double Vision" by Foreigner and "Renegade" by Styx. The rest on there are mostly R&B/Disco. Haven't pulled that off the shelf for years...lol.
  • DerVerstosseneDerVerstossene Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    My first vinyl record was from Kiss - Dynasty.
    My first CD was Billy Idol - Whiplash Smile
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited May 2008
    The first album I bought with my own money was back in 1980, my first year in high school. It was AC/DC's Back in Black. Funny thing is, I bought it at Dollar General Store. Back then, every store had a selection of records and I walked in and decided I was going to buy an album. I had heard Hells Bells on the radio and liked it, so when I saw the album I just had to get it, if I remember correctly, it cost $7. I, at the time, was making $2 an hour working on my uncle's farm, so that album was four hours of bust ass work for me.... well worth it.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited May 2008
    First album owned: "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Original Soundtrack" (Yes, the one with all the early rap stuff like MC Hammer)

First rock album bought: "Quadrophenia" by The Who (My Uncle leant me his copy and I fell in love with it, took me a long time to find the stupid thing though)
  • partyboydanialpartyboydanial Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    first rock album i ever bought was Sum 41's All Killer No Filler when i was 7 hahah
  • rockfresh126rockfresh126 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Bad Hair Day- Weird Al
  • HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    I'm not totally sure, but I believe the first album I bought with my own cash was Nirvana's Nevermind.
  • supersickiesupersickie Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    My first album was Bringing Down the Horse by The Wallflowers. The first album I bought on vinyl was Pearl Jam's Vitalogy. I bought that record before I actually owned a turntable. It was actually a situation very close to Sayburr's: I was at a discount music store about five years ago and it was probably the only thing in the whole place that would be considered rock by modern standards.

I've gone back to that store a number of times in hopes of finding a second diamond in the rough, but I haven't found anything worthy of note since.
  • HardRocker12HardRocker12 Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    The first album i actually BOUGHT was Elect The Dead by Serj Tankian. I have gotten numerous CDs as gifts like We Sold Our Soul for Rock N Roll by Black Sabath, Nevermind by Nirvana, and so on. Plus my parents have a lot of cds that i listen to, but like I said before the first one i bought with my own money is Serj Tankian's Elect The Dead. I have bought a lot more after that but i really havnt any bought and CDs til that was released. By the way, im only 13.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    My first and second were AC/DC Dirty Deeds and Foreigner 4 if I can remember back that far. I think I was 14 at the time. I'm 41 now.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited June 2008
    first one i recieved:Nevermind-Nirvana(gift)

first one i bought:.Dookie-Green Day(favorite album to this very day)
  • bierfahtbierfaht Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    the first tapes (yes tapes, i'm old) were:
    faith no more: angel dust
    alice in chains: dirt
    ministry: psalm 69
    white zombie: la sexorcisto
    soundgarden: badmotorfinger
    helmet: meantime

as one of those old BMG 12 for a penny (split with my brother) because my parents would not let us buy tapes with parental advisory stickers. they were pissed that we signed them up for that stupid music club, but i still listen no everything with the exception of not too much white zombie...
    got grounded, but it was totally worth it...
  • ZidaneZidane Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Cassette and CD- Weird Al's Bad Hair Day
  • IslandBoy91IslandBoy91 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I actually found my first CD laying around somewhere...Led Zeppelin II
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    The first album I ever owned was Business as Usual by Men at Work. The first one I bought with my own money was Killers by Iron Maiden. I must have bought that in 1985, my first year of high school.