My fingers ache so much...

SojaSoja Road Warrior
edited June 2008 in Rock Band
Now. If you'll look at my signature, you will be confronted with the undeniable truth that I have beaten the game's guitar on Expert with nothing but Platinum Stars (sightreads, too).

See, it's true because it's in my signature.

That said, only Flirtin' With Disaster and Green Grass & High Tides stand in the way of my finishing the Expert setlist. I get to 76% on FWD and fail. I got to 81% on GG&HT and failed.

The zigzags kill me. The long solo in FWD kills me. I'm a fairly seasoned plastic guitar player, but any tips would be appreciated. Especially with the zigzags. If I could only get past those, I could finish the song (I know, I've done the rest pretty well in practice mode).

Comments

• WiffalitWiffalit Unsigned
    edited May 2008
    It gets frustrating. I am at the same place you are (or about). I've completed 55 of 58 songs on the Expert Guitar Tour. Finally finished Highway Star. I got FWD and GGaHT and another one I can't remember the name right now. I have been stuck on them for almost a week now. I think the problem with GGaHT is I can't sight read it. I am not familiar with the song at all, and trying to sight read those freakin long solo's is too hard. I need to put the song on my MP3 and get to know it a little. GGaHT I am at about 35% lol. FWD I am about 75% or so. Once again, it is all about the solo's.

Good luck to us!

Don
  • FiveSecondFuseFiveSecondFuse Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Wiffalit;689685 said:
    It gets frustrating. I am at the same place you are (or about). I've completed 55 of 58 songs on the Expert Guitar Tour. Finally finished Highway Star. I got FWD and GGaHT and another one I can't remember the name right now. I have been stuck on them for almost a week now. I think the problem with GGaHT is I can't sight read it. I am not familiar with the song at all, and trying to sight read those freakin long solo's is too hard. I need to put the song on my MP3 and get to know it a little. GGaHT I am at about 35% lol. FWD I am about 75% or so. Once again, it is all about the solo's.

Good luck to us!

Don

Is the third one Train Kept' a Rollin?
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Practice, it's how I get past those two. The zig-zags are actually fun now, and add a huge chunk to my score with an 8 multi.

Go to practice mode and start at like 60% speed. Use the high frets to finger-tap up and down, and I imagine you'll get like 80-90% if you just practice the zig-zags at that speed. When you get good at that, boost the speed. Continue till you can hit around 70-75% on full speed, and you'll pass it with flying colors. Course, the 95% mark on GGHT will probably obliterate you, so maybe practice that while you're at it.

And once you pass THAT little zig-zag portion, try Ride the Lightning's solo. My pinkie is too weak to keep a good score on that final zaggy mess...
  • ForgottenHeroForgottenHero Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Platinum Stars?
  • saerbarnetsaerbarnet Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    Don't do zigzags full out if you can't hit them, Just do the three ascending notes and strum at every yellow.
  • ThallisThallis Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    Go on the bottom and finger tap. Try to get into a rhythm so that it sounds like a horse galloping, and you've got it.
  • NobakNobak Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    ForgottenHero;689926 said:
    Platinum Stars?
    You can only get those if you hit more than 100% of the notes.
    edited May 2008
    Nobak;690073 said:
    You can only get those if you hit more than 100% of the notes.
    Lol!!

timildrow
  • dudosdudos Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    It wasnt the tidiest method, but i passed zig zags with just one finger (first) on the big frets sliding up and down while strumming fairly rapidly. Might have worked even better on the solo frets, havent tried it again since (too busy on drums).

Health drops quite quickly, but if you can keep a full overdive bar (there's plenty easy ones to pick up in solo2 before zig zags start) and not use it until 1/2-3/4 through zig 1, chances are you'll get through zig 2 as you'll have mastered the "technique" and the health boost should keep you alive a good bit through zig 2 (ideally to the end!). Never be a top scorer, but just passing it was enough at the time (completed it a couple more times after for betters scores since, but still need the slidy approach at zig zags).

The 95% bit didnt actually cause me real trouble (second or third attempt i think i got through with no practice mode), once I was doing zigs reliably. Although its cruel to fail there the first couple of times you make it out of zig zag land, so be prepared. Unless you nail it in practice mode first.

Like i say not the best technique, but if you just wanna pass it for now, it might help.

Edit: This method requires FAST sliding as you'll probably realise and that causes some fairly noticable friction heat/skin wear on the slidy finger. So they may not ache so much anymore, but one of them will be very sore!
  • NYTROOPANYTROOPA Opening Act
    edited May 2008
    This is how i passed it. After you learn to do it right on ggaht you wont fail.

the sequence is like this:
    g
    r r
    y

If you dont even worry about the 2nd red note and just hit the yrg thats 3 out of four notes. You will not get a multiplier. but you will not fail. I dont even use star power there. If you just hit those 3 every time then you wont even come close to failing.

Same applies to the:

r
    y y
    b

That comes after. 3 out of 4 and you wont need star power.

That didnt come out right. But you should get the idea
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    How exactly do you get more then 100% of the notes. I have been playing this game since launch day and have gold starred numerous different songs with 100% notes hit on guitar, bass and drums. Even had a glitch happen one day where the guitar started playing itself and hit 100% notes on blackened, Justice, GGaHT and working man and never seen over 100% notes hit. I mean if GGaHt has 3049 notes for perfect(and it does) and you hit all 3049 notes which I have not only seen but have on video how do you get over 100%???? 3049 out of 3049 = 100%
  • JSchmidt85JSchmidt85 Rising Star
    edited May 2008
    meck77;690703 said:
    How exactly do you get more then 100% of the notes. I have been playing this game since launch day and have gold starred numerous different songs with 100% notes hit on guitar, bass and drums. Even had a glitch happen one day where the guitar started playing itself and hit 100% notes on blackened, Justice, GGaHT and working man and never seen over 100% notes hit. I mean if GGaHt has 3049 notes for perfect(and it does) and you hit all 3049 notes which I have not only seen but have on video how do you get over 100%???? 3049 out of 3049 = 100%
    you would have to divide by 0...
    edited May 2008
    meck77;690703 said:
    We were just kidding bro, there's no such thing lol. The guy said something about platinum stars, which I have never seen before and unless he's referring to something else, there is no such thing as platinum stars lol.
  • SojaSoja Road Warrior
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, the Platinum Stars are just a joke. (The mic thing is not, btw.)

I just figured Gold > Regular, so there must be something higher than gold. What's higher than gold? Platinum.

Etc. It's pretty lame. But anyway~
  • GEEMIEEGEEMIEE Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    I'm going back through and trying to Gold Star all the regular set list (up to 26). I tried to tackle the last set, not thinking I'd get much done. I ended up increasing my score on all of the last songs by about 50k points, and even Gold Starred "Highway Star". I'm finally able to beat all of the songs without relying on Overdrive, which makes me feel pretty good.

Anyway, as for GGaHT, my only advice is to have full Overdrive when you come to the first zig-zaggy part. If you just want to pass, place a finger on the middle button in the set of notes (Red, then yellow for the second set), and just strum, hitting every single note of that color. By only hitting 50% of the notes, your meter will fall, but at a slow enough pace to give you time to get about a fourth of the way through, then launch Overdrive and continue. You should make it out fine, and then hit the easy Overdrive sections (whammying down on each note to get a little more than half a meter). Repeat for the 2nd zig-zag portion. It might take you a couple tries, but that's what I had to do the first time.

As for Flirtin' With Disaster, I'm not too familiar with the solo. Just practice I guess, and learn the best time to use your Overdrive to save you.