Acide Queen:

vs

The Wall:
Another Brick In the Wall Pt 2:

Run Like Hell:

Comments

• CosmaCosma Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Enjoyed Tommy, Never could get into the Wall.
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Do you mean the movies or the actual albums?

I dident like either movies.

but I def enjoy Tommy better as an album. its more upbeat and energetic. It was made in 1967 no other band had created something that complex before. The first Rock opera
    Altho many Who fans dissagree and say Quadraphenia is better.

BTW the movie isent that good go listen to the live versions or watch their performances at wood-stock of the songs. They remade almost all the songs for the movie and ruined it with the other people singing.

I just dont like the wall the music is very depressing and the story is hard to follow

And the Wall movie is pretty much 1984 remade into a movie with the songs behind it
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;692379 said:
    Do you mean the movies or the actual albums?

I dident like either movies.

but I def enjoy Tommy better as an album. its more upbeat and energetic. It was made in 1967 no other band had created something that complex before. The first Rock opera
    Altho many Who fans dissagree and say Quadraphenia is better.

BTW the movie isent that good go listen to the live versions or watch their performances at wood-stock of the songs. They remade almost all the songs for the movie and ruined it with the other people singing.

I just dont like the wall the music is very depressing and the story is hard to follow

And the Wall movie is pretty much 1984 remade into a movie with the songs behind it
    its the movies
  • BhindBluEyes430BhindBluEyes430 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;692397 said:
    its the movies
    oh then I might go with pink floyd because I really dident like the Tommy movie, no-matter how awesome Jack Nicholson is,

And i did like orwells 1984, I just thought the Wall movie was really just seemd like a Dark trippy movie. Walking Hammers AHHH
    edited June 2008
    BhindBluEyes430;692415 said:
    oh then I might go with pink floyd because I really dident like the Tommy movie, no-matter how awesome Jack Nicholson is,

And i did like orwells 1984, I just thought the Wall movie was really just seemd like a Dark trippy movie. Walking Hammers AHHH
    yeah, like i said, the wall was cool cuz of all the imagery, tommy was just like "look, famous ppl!!"
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I'm a huge Who fan, and Tommy is my 2nd least favorite Who album, (2nd to Face Dances), However, I like The Wall even less than that.

Quadrophenia is the greatest Rock Album, thus making it the greatest Rock Opera, and Concept album.
    "look, famous ppl!!"
    What the heck are you talking about?
    edited June 2008
    HPLabonte;692480 said:
    I'm a huge Who fan, and Tommy is my 2nd least favorite Who album, (2nd to Face Dances), However, I like The Wall even less than that.

Quadrophenia is the greatest Rock Album, thus making it the greatest Rock Opera, and Concept album.

ahem, as stated earlier, this is about the MOVIES

Tommy guest starred:
    Eric Clapton
    Tina Turner
    Jack Nicholson
    Elton John
    Arthur Brown
  • DestromasDestromas Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Are you stupid? Why do you care about the movies. By the way, Tommy starred The Who themselves, and that deserves a lot considering they allowed a guest director.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited June 2008
    If it was about the albums, I'd vote The Wall just for Hey You, but I haven't seen the movies, so I'm just gonna stay out of this one.
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;692499 said:
    ahem, as stated earlier, this is about the MOVIES

Tommy guest starred:
    Eric Clapton
    Tina Turner
    Jack Nicholson
    Elton John
    Arthur Brown
    ahh, okay, well, both movies were horrible, lol, but i'll vote Tommy because of Pinball Wizard,

Quadrophenia movie was cooler.
    edited June 2008
    WingsOfSteel;692518 said:
    If it was about the albums, I'd vote The Wall just for Hey You, but I haven't seen the movies, so I'm just gonna stay out of this one.
    lol, Hey You isnt even in the movie
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    I thought it was about the albums so I voted for Tommy. I like the Deaf Dumb and Blind metaphor more than the wall metaphor, and I think its higher quality songwriting and preformance. but I haven't seen either movie in its entirety.

I've seen youtube clips of both and The Wall is definitely a better movie.
  • Kitsune_samaKitsune_sama Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    I'm a die-hard Who fan. I own 31 of their albums and 3 of their films (including Tommy), so it's a no-brainer for me.

Tommy all the way.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited June 2008
    Well, album wise Tommy wins.

But, since this is about the movies

The Wall wins hands down. The film is fantastic and really fits the moodiness of the album, plus the movie added in material from other Floyd albums.

The film to Tommy is really a waste and relied to much on the celebrities involved vs. proving the concept.
  • Joe-D-StortionJoe-D-Stortion Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Big Who fan here as well. But wouldn't consider them off the movies. But the original albums.

No guest stars here. Well Pete's bro Simon did some backing vocals (he was real young at the time and could hit the high note on the "rise, rise, rise..." on "Smash the Mirror") which doesn't really count. Also listen to the album version or any original Who live version of "I'm Free", the opening riff is great.

While the Wall was great. I just think Tommy has more to it, you can grasp a narrative in there, even if you don't get it. Even with the film of the Wall I am not sure what's going on.

-Joe
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Holy Hell! Tommy is winning? That's good I voted for it! I'm sure the Wall is fine I just haven't heard/seen all of it yet. Tommy is genius though. And gets props for being the first proper Rock Opera. The Who invented it.
  • xfindaxxfindax Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Hey peeps just 4 more days till my schiz is back and idk how he had this set up he just told me to keep a countdown on his polls tull he comes back :P so ya to comment on the poll i havent had the chance to see the wall and i only saw tommy when i was like 6 or 7 idk y i watched it at that age anyways. but i was fair enough not to vote since i havent seen one in 10 years and i havent seen the other at all so have fun! and the poll goes on...
  • Kitsune_samaKitsune_sama Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    l-o-t;777630 said:
    Holy Hell! Tommy is winning? That's good I voted for it! I'm sure the Wall is fine I just haven't heard/seen all of it yet. Tommy is genius though. And gets props for being the first proper Rock Opera. The Who invented it.
    Actually, Tommy was the third Rock Opera that Pete Townshend created (although it was the first full-length). 'A Quick One, While He's Away' (from 'A Quick One') was the first Rock Opera he created, and 'Rael' (from 'The Who Sell Out') was the second.
  • mlothar16mlothar16 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;692562 said:
    lol, Hey You isnt even in the movie
    on the anniversary DVD there is a scene where Hey You is in the movie, theres a lot of scenes with a chair and it honestly looks the Ring video lol

that said, I could never get into Tommy movie wise, I enjoy the wall and the blurring of animation and the building of his insanity is done very well imo
  • HarveydentHarveydent Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    The Wall is infinately better, but it is a concept album, not a rock opera. A rock opera would be Bat OUt Of Hell
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    HPLabonte;692480 said:

I'm sry, but there is no argumentation in your comment, lol. It's not very convincing.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Tommy. Call me blasphemous, but I never really did like The Wall.
    edited June 2008
    I remember this topic. Why was this about the films again? It was all originally music, written by the musicians. The adaptations were only co-directed by the bands. God when I press the back button and find out who the OP is, he's on the stupid list.
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;692397 said:
    its the movies
    Wow way to get put on the stupid list AFTER i vote for you on the forums.
  • Chief StubbsChief Stubbs Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    The Wall. Trippy as hell. And i love how every time VH1 Classic plays it, they always follow it up with the video for the Brain Damage/Eclipse mix. Especially considering Brain Damage is my favorite Floyd song.
    edited June 2008
    ^ But I hate that they censor the t*ts during "Young Lust", they censor Pink's rant during "In The Flesh", they cut the "f**king flowers" during "Empty Spaces/What Shall We Do Now?", and they cut the wife's "testimony" from "The Trial".

I guess Tommy wins for not needing to be uber censored. :p
    edited June 2008
    RockBandRocker;785432 said:
    they cut the "f**king flowers" during "Empty Spaces/What Shall We Do Now?"
    ...what?!? LOL!
    edited June 2008
    ^ In the film for The Wall, there is an animated sequence that begins with two flowers (for lack of a better term) "f**king". That piece has been refered to as "The F**king Flowers".

Look it up on youtube.
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, yeah, I know, it's one of my favorite parts, I just don't understand why they cut it off. It's stupid, a child could never understand it refers to sex... And even if he could, it's FLOWERS.
  • MrMetal1091MrMetal1091 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    both are great, but the Wall tends to get boring, so i'd say Tommy for me