Blues Brothers from the Blues Brothers, SNL, & Blues Brothers 2000

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b_wdRsnoog Spinal Tap from This Is Spinal Tap

Comments

• Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited June 2008
  • raging poodleraging poodle Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Blues Brothers by a knockout in the first round, total mismatch.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited June 2008
    Believe it or not, Blue Brothers are winning right now. I would have thought Spinal Tap was a shoo-in. I guess not.

BTW, I did vote for the BB.
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Spinal Tap. Blues Brothers were a cover band -- great band, but objectively, Dan and John kinda suck. Dan really sucks. Bad harp. Awful vocals. Embarrassing dancing. The first of the celebrity self-indulgences. And yes I do mean you Keanu, Kevin and Russell.

The Blues Brothers are fun. But musically, the front men just ain't got it.

Tap OTOH -- original stuff. Really funny. And pretty stylistically dead on. And not just the Metal stuff, but the psychedelia and the BritPop stuff, too.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2008
    OldFogey;700398 said:
    Spinal Tap. Blues Brothers were a cover band -- great band, but objectively, Dan and John kinda suck. Dan really sucks. Bad harp. Awful vocals. Embarrassing dancing. The first of the celebrity self-indulgences. And yes I do mean you Keanu, Kevin and Russell.

Tap OTOH -- original stuff. Really funny. And pretty stylistically dead on. And not just the Metal stuff, but the psychedelia and the BritPop stuff, too.
    although the Blues Brothers themselves were mediocre, they had almost the entire Booker T & the MGs band backing them, Steve Cropper is a very underrated guitarist, but like you said, Tap was original completely
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Tap definitely wins for variety, so I'm going with them.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    OldFogey;700398 said:

One of the few times I will vehementley disagree with Fogey. Were Dan and John the best singers? No But they had something a lot of technically great singers don't have. Soul. I'll take soul over technique everyday and twice on Sunday. And maybe John wasn't bad at all...

In Stories Behind the Making of The Blues Brothers, a 1998 documentary included on some DVD editions of the first Blues Brothers film, Cropper noted that some of his peers thought that he and the other musicians backing the Blues Brothers were selling out to Hollywood or using a gimmick to make some quick money. Cropper responded by stating that he thought Belushi was as good as (or even better than) many of the singers he had backed; he also noted that Belushi had, early in his career, briefly been a professional drummer, and had an especially keen sense of rhythm.

As much as I Love Spinal Tap really only the movie and original soundtrack they did was worthwhile everything else was pretty lame. All of the original Blues Brothers albums is worth while and fun.
  • frizzy_bjfrizzy_bj The Love Doctor & General Forum Guru
    edited June 2008
    Blues Brothers FTW!

(We're on a mission from God) :D
  • HammerOfTheGodsHammerOfTheGods Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    It's 500 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!
  • edited June 2008
    I misread the title of this thread as Blues Traveler vs Spinal Tap, and I thought "Awww, poor John Popper. What a mean thing to say."
  • SteefSteef Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    This is Spinal Tap...
    edited June 2008
    wow, a HMX mod posting in a thread i started and voting in a poll, i feel honored
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;700402 said:
    although the Blues Brothers themselves were mediocre, they had almost the entire Booker T & the MGs band backing them, Steve Cropper is a very underrated guitarist, but like you said, Tap was original completely
    Exactly my point, Schiz -- this is the battle of fake bands, and the band behind Blues Brothers was not fake. So the fake part was Jake and Elmore. So what should be evaluated is Jake and Elmore against Spinal Tap.
    edited June 2008
    AxlVanHagar;700777 said:
    One of the few times I will vehementley disagree with Fogey. Were Dan and John the best singers? No But they had something a lot of technically great singers don't have. Soul. I'll take soul over technique everyday and twice on Sunday. And maybe John wasn't bad at all...

In Stories Behind the Making of The Blues Brothers, a 1998 documentary included on some DVD editions of the first Blues Brothers film, Cropper noted that some of his peers thought that he and the other musicians backing the Blues Brothers were selling out to Hollywood or using a gimmick to make some quick money. Cropper responded by stating that he thought Belushi was as good as (or even better than) many of the singers he had backed; he also noted that Belushi had, early in his career, briefly been a professional drummer, and had an especially keen sense of rhythm.

As much as I Love Spinal Tap really only the movie and original soundtrack they did was worthwhile everything else was pretty lame. All of the original Blues Brothers albums is worth while and fun.
    Disagreement is good :D

Belushi was definitely the stronger of the two. Dan in particular is the one who puts me on edge -- I mean, Rubber Biscuit? :eek: It's not even funny.

Still, I think Cropper is rationalizing -- would you really compare Belushi to Sam and Dave? Or Winwood?

What makes Blues Brothers to me is the band -- great band. And the tunes -- great originals. But the band and the tunes are real. And this is about "fake" bands.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    OldFogey;702237 said:
    Disagreement is good :D

Belushi was definitely the stronger of the two. Dan in particular is the one who puts me on edge -- I mean, Rubber Biscuit? :eek: It's not even funny.

Still, I think Cropper is rationalizing -- would you really compare Belushi to Sam and Dave? Or Winwood?

What makes Blues Brothers to me is the band -- great band. And the tunes -- great originals. But the band and the tunes are real. And this is about "fake" bands.

I see your point and will agree to disagree good sir. :cool:
  • next jimmy pagenext jimmy page Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    i cant get past the blues brothers. im not gonna agree or disagree with anyone, i love the blues brothers. period.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited June 2008
    What music does one like?

Jazz/Funk/Blues - Blues Brothers cross all three.

Metal - Spinal Tap IS Metal.

For me, Spinal Tap wins becuase (even though they are a joke) they perfectly parodied an entire style of rock music. Also, any band that could come up with "Stonehenge" is AWESOME in my book. :)
    edited June 2008
    battle ends June 6, Spinal Tap is up by a couple of votes
  • razorsedge81razorsedge81 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    edited June 2008
    ok, aaaaaand....

its over

/voting

Spinal Tap beat the Blues Brothers 21-16

voting may continue, but the offical voting is now over
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited June 2008
    Wait.. blues brothers are fake?!?!

Nooooo!!!
    edited June 2008
    OldFogey;700398 said:

yet you voted on the Soggy Bottom Boys over Timmy and none of them actually sang or played any instruments, and their only song was a cover?

sorry, but this has been plaguing my mind since u said it, and i had to ask
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;750694 said:
    yet you voted on the Soggy Bottom Boys over Timmy and none of them actually sang or played any instruments, and their only song was a cover?

sorry, but this has been plaguing my mind since u said it, and i had to ask
    Sometimes takes me a turn or two to figure out the criteria I want to use, so I probably did not have it thought through as much first time around.

Guess in that case I just liked Man of Constant Sorrow and was pretty meh about Timmy. In the Spinal Tap case, I thought both bands passed the first test -- the "would I listen to this" test.
    edited June 2008
    OldFogey;750939 said:
    Sometimes takes me a turn or two to figure out the criteria I want to use, so I probably did not have it thought through as much first time around.

Guess in that case I just liked Man of Constant Sorrow and was pretty meh about Timmy. In the Spinal Tap case, I thought both bands passed the first test -- the "would I listen to this" test.
    ah, alright, i just was wondering
  • guitarguru2112guitarguru2112 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Spinal Tap is sooooo awesome. Not only do they have a great heavy metal sound, the movie was hilarious!! If you know your classic rock trivia (or watched all four parts of the VH1's The Story of Metal) than I HIGHLY recommend you see this movie.