Battle of The Bands Semifinals 2: Pink Floyd vs. The Beatles!!!!

Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
edited September 2009 in History of Rock
PINK FLOYD
[CENTER]
Pink Floyd are an English rock band that initially earned recognition for their psychedelic or space rock music, and, as they evolved, for their progressive rock music. They are known for philosophical lyrics, sonic experimentation, innovative cover art, and elaborate live shows. One of rock music's most successful acts, the group have sold over 200 million albums worldwide[1][2] including 74.5 million albums in the United States alone.[3]

Pink Floyd had moderate mainstream success and were one of the most popular bands in the London underground music scene in the late 1960s as a psychedelic band led by Syd Barrett; however, Barrett's erratic behaviour eventually forced his colleagues to replace him with guitarist and singer David Gilmour. After Barrett's departure, singer and bass player Roger Waters gradually became the dominant and driving force in the group in the mid-1970s, until his eventual departure from the group in 1985. The band recorded several albums, achieving worldwide success with The Dark Side of the Moon (1973), Wish You Were Here (1975), Animals (1977), and The Wall (1979). In 1985, Waters declared Pink Floyd "a spent force", but the remaining members, led by Gilmour, continued recording and touring under the name Pink Floyd. Although they were unsuccessfully sued by Waters for rights to the name, they again enjoyed worldwide success with A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) and The Division Bell (1994). Eventually they reached a settlement out of court with Waters allowing them use of the name. Waters performed with the band for the first time in 24 years on 2 July 2005 at the London Live 8 concert.
[/CENTER]

The Beatles
[CENTER]

The Beatles were a pop and rock group from Liverpool, England formed in 1960. Primarily consisting of John Lennon (guitar, vocals), Paul McCartney (bass guitar, vocals), George Harrison (guitar, vocals), and Ringo Starr (drums, vocals) throughout their career, The Beatles are recognised for leading the mid-1960s musical "British Invasion" into the United States. Although their initial musical style was rooted in 1950s rock and roll and homegrown skiffle, the group explored genres ranging from Tin Pan Alley to psychedelic rock. Their clothes, styles, and statements made them trend-setters, while their growing social awareness saw their influence extend into the social and cultural revolutions of the 1960s.

The Beatles are one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed bands in the history of popular music.[1] In the United Kingdom, The Beatles released more than 40 different singles, albums, and EPs that reached number one. This commercial success was repeated in many other countries; their record company, EMI, estimated that by 1985 they had sold over one billion records worldwide.[2] According to the Recording Industry Association of America, The Beatles have sold more albums in the United States than any other band.[3]

In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked The Beatles number one on its list of 100 Greatest Rock & Roll Artists of All Time.[4] According to that same magazine, The Beatles' innovative music and cultural impact helped define the 1960s, and their influence on pop culture is still evident today.[1]
[/CENTER]

You know what songs of theirs you like, so Vote!

Comments

• Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited June 2008
    I just noticed:

The Bassists for both bands are A-s-s-h-o-l-e-s.
  • partyboydanialpartyboydanial Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    damn this ones hard Beatles are my favorite band and Pink Floyd is my second favorite band. both are amazing at every instrument (except drums for the Beatles but gotta love ringo anyway). ill give my vote to Pink Floyd because i think the Beatles will win and i go with the underdog.
    edited June 2008
    partyboydanial;708214 said:
    damn this ones hard Beatles are my favorite band and Pink Floyd is my second favorite band. both are amazing at every instrument (except drums for the Beatles but gotta love ringo anyway). ill give my vote to Pink Floyd because i think the Beatles will win and i go with the underdog.
    I think The Beatles are the underdog here, they have 6 votes to 4!
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Beatles.

Just not a big PF fan. Too many mid tempo songs. In fact do they have anything but mid tempo songs?
  • xfindaxxfindax Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Hey Fogey ive heard a bunch about u my bf says u kick ass :cool:
    edited June 2008
    xfindax;708397 said:
    ohhh he most definetly does!!!
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited June 2008
    I'll give to the Beatle's for their influence on just about every band I listen to.

Although in terms of my music taste, I would choose Pink Floyd over the Beatles in a heart beat. I like their approach to music more so than the Beatles. Although I gave it to the right victor I suppose. Even if it's Beatles versus Rush, I will vote Beatles because as much as I love Rush, I know who should probably truly win.
  • gorillawarfaregorillawarfare Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    This is an exceptionally PF friendly forum. I doubt Pink Floyd would beat either Zeppelin of The Beatles in the general public.

I voted for the Beatles because Pink Floyd asks far to much of its audience. Time, one of my all time favorite PF songs, requires listeners to listen to a boring 2 minute intro if they don't want to break the integrity of the song. You could listen to an early Beatles pop song in the time Pink Floyd burns with that intro. The payoff isn't necessarily better than an average Beatles tune.

Just because its pop doesn't mean its bad. A lot of bands have tried to be as good as early Beatles and failed.

The Beatles released three albums in a row without releasing a filler track (rubber soul, revolver, sgt peppers). The amount of wasted time on any Pink Floyd album amounts to a filler song.

Abbey Road is probably my favorite album to listen to straight through, then Quadrophenia, then Animals.

The Beatles win, but I still love Pink Floyd.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    xfindax;708397 said:
    Dude. He doesn't bother kicking ass. Nobody here is worthy of meeting the wrong end of his awesome boot.

I went with Floyd. Gilmoure is the man. And I like, what, 2 Beatles songs? One of them is bad ass (Elenor Rigby) the other pretty awesome(While My Guitar Gently Weeps).
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2008
    Shredder87;708560 said:
    Dude. He doesn't bother kicking ass. Nobody here is worthy of meeting the wrong end of his awesome boot.

I went with Floyd. Gilmoure is the man. And I like, what, 2 Beatles songs? One of them is bad ass (Elenor Rigby) the other pretty awesome(While My Guitar Gently Weeps).
    im pretty sure u and Axl are worthy
    edited June 2008
    xfindax;708397 said:
    Your bf has good taste!!! :D

Cheers
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;708589 said:
    im pretty sure u and Axl are worthy
    Actually I could be on the wrong end of those particular booties :D

Lots of worthies on this forum -- you definitely among them, Schiz.
    edited June 2008
    OldFogey;708605 said:
    Actually I could be on the wrong end of those particular booties :D

Lots of worthies on this forum -- you definitely among them, Schiz.
    see!!! i told u u were awesome schiz :p
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2008
    xfindax;708611 said:
    see!!! i told u u were awesome schiz :p
    i love you Emily
    edited June 2008
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    xfindax;708397 said:
    Without Fogey, the boards have no logic or experience.

Also, voted Beatles.
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;708194 said:
    I just noticed:

The Bassists for both bands are A-s-s-h-o-l-e-s.
    Why is everyone always so anti-McCartney?
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited June 2008
    I have to go with Floyd. The Beatles have great songs, but I love the whole album concept of Floyd... Wish you Where Here, Animals, The Wall... To me, these are perfect albums. This, however, was a tough choice for me because I love the Beatles, but the Themed albums put Floyd over the top for me.
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;708613 said:
    i love you Emily
    xfindax;708628 said:
    I love u Nick!:)
    So much for the anonymity of webonyms :D
  • SteelersFreak1SteelersFreak1 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    MisterSchulz;708820 said:
    Why is everyone always so anti-McCartney?
    I've never understood it either.
    edited June 2008
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Call the cops! Pink Floyd is winning by 8!!!!!
  • maitee1maitee1 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I went with PF. I like them both equally. Awesomeness defined but it just drives me insane how everyone just goes gaga over the mention of the Beatles.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited June 2008
    partyboydanial;708214 said:
    Famous last words. :D The Beatles are currently losing by 10 votes...I really hope this doesn't turn into another Radiohead vs. Rush matchup.
    edited June 2008
    Runesmith;710081 said:
    Famous last words. :D The Beatles are currently losing by 10 votes...I really hope this doesn't turn into another Radiohead vs. Rush matchup.
    hahah yeah i know i called tht one wrong ohh i cant decide in my favorite bands list

1. The Beatles
    2. Pink Floyd

can't decide

assuming PF wins who do they face
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Floyd because I want to see the Beatles lose. So much for the whole "If the finale isn't Zeppelin vs. The Beatles this competition fails" thing.
    edited June 2008
    Zeppelin was already kicked out a long time ago, so this BotB fails.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;710262 said:
    Don't be pissed because other people think differently than you. Zeppelin aren't that great.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited June 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;710262 said:
    Zep got beat by Floyd in the last round... isn't that interesting?
  • KingofQUEEN92KingofQUEEN92 Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    OMG NOOOOOOOOO Floyd is terrible there gonna win the whole thing....i cant believe their gonna win this..
  • LoucifelLoucifel Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Uh, it's PF for me too. I just don't that many Beatles songs, while I love most of Floyd's stuff.
    I really thought Beatles would win this easily, though.
This discussion has been closed.