Rock Band DLC Statosphere 06/10/2008 Disturbed vs. Jimmy Buffett

MrStatoMrStato Opening Act
edited June 2008 in Rock Band
Rock Band DLC Statosphere - stats for ALL downloadable songs.

Quite an impressive first week for both Disturbed and, yes, Jimmy Buffett as well. Disturbed is a bit of a monster in comparison to Buffett though, what with the half priceyness and that faulty Best Buy promotion where you could get a code to download Indestructible and Inside the Fire for free.. It's hard to say how much effect that promotion really had though. I pre-ordered that damn CD just in case the tracks were available earlier than June 3rd and I never even received a code. Gee, thanks Best Buy! Hrm.. I wonder.. Will it blend?

In any case, Inside the Fire (which was part of the promotion) puts up the biggest first week number since this site started with 32886. That beats the previous first week record of 30228 set by Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man".

Looking for something interesting check out? Take a look at what skedastic did with the stats from this site last week, rockbandometrics!

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Woo, high five!

Although IMHO the Disturbed pack was awesome fun on instruments, so promotion or not the popularity is well deserved.
  • Samuel346Samuel346 Headliner
    edited June 2008
    I expected Disturbed to be above the 40k for all songs... but I guess being unknown new tracks that could hurt potential sales.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited June 2008
    At least they weren't Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bombs! :p
  • ASPSAXASPSAX Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Wow, those are incredible-looking initial week sales. Even considering some people got two Disturbed songs for free, Perfect Insanity's sales are pretty high. This is good evidence of lower price still getting good sales, if you halve the Perfect Insanity's sales the number is still higher than a lot of the other songs. And I'm glad to see Buffett did pretty well, they're all good songs.

Also it's about time More Than A Feeling hit 100000. :p
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I think this week will show whether a dicounted price alone can sell DLC or not.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Samuel346;726263 said:
    I expected Disturbed to be above the 40k for all songs... but I guess being unknown new tracks that could hurt potential sales.
    On the other hand, Inside the Fire hit number one on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Charts. If the album had bombed, being new and unknown would be harmful, but as a song that's pretty popular right now, that must have really helped.
  • Samuel346Samuel346 Headliner
    edited June 2008
    WingsOfSteel;726301 said:
    On the other hand, Inside the Fire hit number one on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Charts. If the album had bombed, being new and unknown would be harmful, but as a song that's pretty popular right now, that must have really helped.

I was speaking comparatively to songs that already exist and have been out for a while by them.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited June 2008
    ... It sucks that the Mother Hips songs are getting such low sales:(
    edited June 2008
    instantdeath999;726396 said:
    ... It sucks that the Mother Hips songs are getting such low sales:(
    "Red Tandy likes it hot
    Red Tandy doesn't sell a lot
    She told me so..."
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited June 2008
    RockBandRocker;726399 said:
    "Red Tandy likes it hot
    Red Tandy doesn't sell a lot
    She told me so..."
    Heh, good one.

Still a fun song to play on drums:D
    edited June 2008
    I actually like singing "Red Tandy".

It feels like if a Bowie song and a Grateful Dead song got together and had a love child, that would be the result.
  • strtfghtrstrtfghtr Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    The disturbed pack is one of my favs so far, right up there with Metallica and Boston, I love Inside the Fire (it gets stuck in my head all day)
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited June 2008
    One way to look at the impact of the free songs on the 360 code is to compare them to PS3 numbers in relation to Buffett.

On the 360, Disturbed has 86031 plays and Buffett has 39355, which is a ratio of 2.19 Disturbed songs to each Buffett song.

On the PS3, Disturbed has 14794 plays and Buffett has 9591, which is a ratio of 1.54 Disturbed songs to each Buffett song.

Of course, there are other factors, like that the PS3 tends to skew towards a little older crowd then the 360 (relatively, groups like Police do better on PS3).
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Big week for DLC, looks like it was a crowd pleaser.

298,213 new scores registered this week, with More Than a Feeling jumping above the 100K mark. That's a 26% increase from last week's ~236K figure.

As always, thanks for taking the time to do this, MrStato.

Glad to see Jimmy Buffett doing well, and Disturbed blew me away with their numbers.
  • SM2535SM2535 Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Wow. I can't believe I am one of the only 4102 people that picked up Grizzly Bear. For some reason, I just really enjoy that song. That just made me sad to realize my chance of playing it online is like .0000000002%
  • Electric_ZenElectric_Zen Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I love getting the Statosphere on Tuesdays.

Labels are going to notice this, and you'll see a lot more albums premiere on Rock Band. Those Disturbed numbers are ridiculously high, and a lot of the people that buy these songs are going to become customers for the album or the concerts, if they haven't already.
  • eachanneachann Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    I didn't buy the disturbed songs because frankly I don't know them , and thus I don't care to play them in Rock Band. I buy the songs I know and love... I don't buy everything just "because it's there". I listened to the previews and they sounded alright I guess, but nothing I cared to buy.. .even for half price.

The Jimmy Buffet songs on the other hand were awsome, I love those tracks. All 3 are fun to play... those people who only find songs fun if they are the hardest song in the game won't like them, but for anybody else that just likes fun music with fun note charts should enjoy them :) I'd love to see more of this stuff!

Also Jimmy Buffet is venturing close to country music... while this opinion will be wildly unpopular on this forum I wish they'd add some country music to the mix. Some Garth Brooks, Brad Paisley, Kenney Chesney, Tim McGraw, etc... they all have songs that would work incredibly well in Rock Band. It would bring in a TON more rock band fans who haven't jumped on the "rock"bandwagon yet... country music has a huge following in the US. Not all country music would work well.... but the stuff that has a good guitar base would. Brad Paisley has some great guitar in just about all of his songs.... plus, if they truly want rock band to be a "platform" (the big rock band buzzword) they need to encompass a much wider variety of music. Not that I'm complaining about what they have, I love Rock music as much as anybody but a lot of country is great too and would work so well in a game like this.
  • TheGodFather73TheGodFather73 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    When I get the time, I'm going to go through all of the official DLC announcement threads and tally up about 20 pages worth of responses for each one, and compare that to the sales data on Mr. Stato's site. I'm pretty sure the forum opinions and sales stats rarely correlate.

I love browsing through the site also, it's always interesting to see how bands do, etc.
  • VeddermanVedderman Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Great week for DLC and amazing job on the website. I only hope that HMX at some point patches the leaderboard to allow an infinite number of rankings. If it stays at 100,000 we'll never know each songs impact.

I think that despite the cheap DLC, the MTV2 week will be Cherry Bombs.

Speaking of Cherry Bombs...count me in the 4000+ peeps who have purchased both Mother Hip tracks. I absolutely love playing Red Tandy. It's catchy and fun to play on guitar.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited June 2008
    MrStato: A feature suggestion... could you scale the PS3 charts so that the top-selling song takes up the full bar on the chart? Would make the rest of the chart a lot easier to read visually, as there are quite a few songs with pretty anemic sales (to which I boo my fellow PS3 owners... open up your wallets, will ya?)
  • needLEErneedLEEr Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Apples;726261 said:
    Woo, high five!

Although IMHO the Disturbed pack was awesome fun on instruments, so promotion or not the popularity is well deserved.
    Terrible promotion, I received my code 2 days late and still have not received my album.
  • papasmurf427papasmurf427 Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    killer_roach;726700 said:
    MrStato: A feature suggestion... could you scale the PS3 charts so that the top-selling song takes up the full bar on the chart? Would make the rest of the chart a lot easier to read visually, as there are quite a few songs with pretty anemic sales (to which I boo my fellow PS3 owners... open up your wallets, will ya?)
    Or some of us don't play guitar regularly enough :P
  • ThuDogFoodThuDogFood Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    I think it's pretty awesome that all the new songs sold pretty well (especially Inside The Fire selling the most out of the Disturbed songs...people have tastes!!!)

I think it's also a bit of proof that new songs will sell okay on Rock Band as longs as you put them at half price (see Perfect Insanity). Admittedly a lot of people know Disturbed and there was a promotion for the other two songs, so that surely helped too, but still...

But even still, if the two MH songs were half price I'm sure they wouldn't have Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bombed!

And I think a lot of people disagree with IGN's On The DLC last week :rolleyes:
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Vedderman;726692 said:

I think that despite the cheap DLC, the MTV2 week will be Cherry Bombs.
    I think so too. Which is unfortunate. I personally like and will probably download a couple of the songs myself.
    ThuDogFood;726831 said:

And I think a lot of people disagree with IGN's On The DLC last week :rolleyes:
    For many, many reasons. *sigh*
  • Drama 313Drama 313 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Im not surpised the Mother Hips have bombed big time,but The Cars? even though im not a fan i expected them to get decent numbers,but thats not the case at all.
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    MrStato, i've forgotten, do you get your stats from Rockband.com leaderboards, or the in-game Xbox360 leaderboards? And you've used the same source for every week since you started Statosphere? Just curious thanks
  • Bosco32Bosco32 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Drama 313;727105 said:
    Im not surpised the Mother Hips have bombed big time,but The Cars? even though im not a fan i expected them to get decent numbers,but thats not the case at all.
    Agreed. I expected some of the tracks to not perform, but there are some awesome songs that folks are overlooking if you are a fan or want some good party material.

Great to also see that the multi-pack week was justified with sales.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Drama 313;727105 said:
    It depends on what kind of rock you've had exposure to. I grew up with Judas Priest, so they're far from unknown to me. But when they first announced The Cars, I seriously had a "who's that?" reaction. One of the songs when I first listened sounded vaguely familiar from hearing it on the radio sometime in the past, but the rest? Nada. Doesn't mean they're bad by any means. But some people won't buy stuff they haven't heard before and if they haven't heard it or think they haven't heard it, they won't buy it.

Also, it doesn't help that The Cars has never been featured in a rhythm game before. Judas Priest was at least featured in GH1 and GH 80s so people were familiar with the name of the band and those songs if nothing else. I have a feeling that Doolittle will do better, just because people have, at the minimum, heard of The Pixies through Wave of Mutilation.
  • chico76chico76 Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Mr.Stato... I still think we need a more concrete qualifier on "Cherry Bomb" status...

I thought about my idea from last week... but wanted to modify it a bit. Obviously most song won't continue to pull in thousands of downloads per week. Eventually things will cap off, even for the popular stuff.

Here's my idea. A song needs to be out at least a month before it can gain Bomb status, simply because there needs to be a trend to see. So, based on release date:

previous month = 5,000 or less
    2 months ago = 8,000 or less
    3 months ago = 11,000 or less
    4 months ago = 14,000 or less
    5 months ago = 17,000 or less
    6 months ago = 20,000 or less
    7+ months ago = 25,000 or less
    1+ year ago = 50,000 or less

So, here's the songs that would have Cherry Bomb status as a result...

April releases (<5,000) = <i>Red Tandy & Grizzly Bear, which we already have marked
    March releases (<8,000) = ...
    February (<11,000)= ...
    January (<14,000) = <i>Action joins the club
    December (<17,000) = ...
    November (<20,000) = the original <i>Cherry Bomb, and Queen Bitch by David Bowie

Looks like some possible future candidates are the (Arguably) Punk Pack, Song with a Mission by the Sounds, Pain and Pleasure by Judas Priest, and I'm in Touch With Your World by the Cars.

Obviously this also allows songs to come off the Bomb list if they start to perform well...

Thoughts?
  • TheGodFather73TheGodFather73 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Drama 313;727105 said:
    TheGodFather73 said:
    Also, my personal opinion is that The Cars album will sell as bad, if not worse than Judas Priest (and I like that album). They were a great band in the day, but aside from one or two hits, I expect the sales to be lackluster. It's Blondie v2. The younger crowd doesn't want 80's pop music. They want ROCK, Metal, etc. As great as the Police is, their sales pale in comparison to Blink 182, the Rejects, and Metallica.
    And yea verily, it came to pass..... :) I posted that May 14th.

I don't think the Cars are bad, but they aren't well suited for the game as most people who play (not the people who troll the forums like me) want something newer that still gets some airtime on regular rock stations or MTV. All you have to do is look at the top selling songs from Mr. Stato's site to see what is popular and what isn't.

If they come out with a Devo pack, it will sell poorly, on par with The Mother Hips.