Rock Blog Wednesday 10/17/07

edited October 2007 in Announcements
And I would like to present the newest (ok... only) addition to the community team - John V. AKA HMXJohnlok. He'll be helping me out in these parts as well as answering lots of emails from the public. He will also feed me grapes as needed and tend to the horses. Once we get some horses. Regardless there will be cake and we have invited all his favorite weighted companion cubes...

Welcome him to his new hell - working with me!

So I have been playing a lot of Orange Box. Which is a statement that would matter if it weren't for the fact everyone is playing Orange Box. I had the good fortune to finish Portal and honestly it is one of the best written, best designed, most enjoyable games I have ever had the good luck to play. It also has a song at the end by Jonathan Coulton who visited our offices last week (and is rad - and more on this later). I was wicked impressed by how funny the game was with this slight air of poignancy near the end. Brilliant.

Oh... and I have been playing the crap out of Team Fortress 2 with a cabal of other Harmonix folks. This is one of the best multiplayer games I have ever played. I like to play the medic and form a super tank with a Heavy or Pyro. If you don't know what I am talking about please go get the game. I... it's... these aren't tears... there's just a pipe that broke probably in the ceiling and is dripping onto my cheeks. Shut up. I'm not crying.

Both of these games come on one disc for, like, $60 or something. If I could legally marry a privately owned Pacific Northwestern corporation I would. To Mexico!

That is about all for today. What have you all been playing?

BLOGS!

Heather sees Jonathan Coulton hanging around the offices and sees his show. I was in Seattle. Jealous.

Canfield is like your guidance counselor... for rock.

Comments

• ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    Solid blogs today, I enjoyed reading them. They were quite enjoyable.

Everyone is raving about Orange box, I think I'm really going to have to get it eventually, maybe for the 360 since my PC is in storage and my laptop could in no way handle it. I'm interested in playing Portal and TF2 specifically, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I have not been playing anything lately, maybe a little Halo 3. I'm home on a week off from school though with nothing but my PS2 and GH I and II which I've been playing a bit, but mostly I have been watching TV and listening to tons of music.

I just got into watching Weeds and Californication (David Duchovny Rocks!), both of which I highly recommend, also Heroes just began again as well as House, both are awesome, Heroes is incredible, and I always enjoy a good House episode.

EDIT:
    OH I almost forgot welcome HMXJohnLok! I hope you enjoy your stay here, hopefully we'll see you posting around the forums!
  • TheTogfatherTheTogfather Rising Star
    edited October 2007
    Sadly I have not been playing orange box. I know...I should just leave.

But I have so very little gaming time, and I'm still trying to get through Eternal Sonata and Bioshock...probably about halfway through both I think. Again, I know, this does NOT make me look good. It's all your fault anyway, if it weren't for Rock Band I probably wouldn't even have a 360 and be here posting, all feeling bad in the first place. See, thanks alot Sean...don't you feel sorry for yourself now?

Edit: Whoops, I forgot too...welcome HMXJohnLok! Lost reference? If so, thumbs up! Look forward to foruming w/ you...
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited October 2007
    Whoa!! Like, hello?

A couple points of business before the questions pour in:

1. Johnlok is not from "Lost," nor is it a reference to any long-deceased philosophers. Apples got it right! But I was probably 5 or something, so my spelling wasn't the greatest. It is an original name with sentimental value. Don't mess with me on this! I'm feisty.

Okay so that was really my only point of business, so sue me. On another note, I am incredibly pleased to be here. Aside from the grape-feeding (Sean's messy) and being sequestered in a dark closet pounding away at e-mails, it's a pretty sweet gig. You'll be seeing a lot more of me over the next few weeks as we gear up for RB launch.

A little about me:
    I come from the land of Quality Assurance, so if you see any crazy bugs in the game or crashes we missed, you can probably blame me. Or the booze. My favorite game of all time is Baldur's Gate 2. I like lasagna, garbage plates... who am I kidding, I pretty much like all food. Oh, and I play entirely too much WoW and xbox live arcade (Carcassonne anybody?).

Anyway, that's all for now. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better!

Yours in eating way too much lasagna,
    John V. - "Johnlok"

P.S. - I need an avatar. Harumph. Who will help me choose!?? Maybe we can make it a contest!
  • edited October 2007
    TheTogfather;80842 said:
    See, thanks alot Sean...don't you feel sorry for yourself now?
    I regret nothing!
  • tf5_bassisttf5_bassist Rising Star
    edited October 2007
    I want to get Orange Box just for Portal. It looks damn awesome.
  • tf5_bassisttf5_bassist Rising Star
    edited October 2007
    Johnlok, what server do you play on for WoW?
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    nice having you here man... have fun with the madness.

yea i'd be a happy man if gamefly would send me the orange box
    edited October 2007
    Eman311;80852 said:
    nice having you here man... have fun with the madness
    I'm holding my face in my palms right now. There's a really great ASCII image for this somewhere...
  • edited October 2007
    Wow, a Baldur's Gate 2 fan to boot. Jon Irenicus is probably my favorite gaming villain of all time... best voice acting in a game hands down.
    edited October 2007
    HMXJohnlok;80843 said:
    Whoa!! Like, hello?

1. Johnlok is not from "Lost," nor is it a reference to any long-deceased philosophers. Apples got it right! But I was probably 5 or something, so my spelling wasn't the greatest. It is an original name with sentimental value. Don't mess with me on this! I'm feisty.

Okay so that was really my only point of business, so sue me. On another note, I am incredibly pleased to be here. Aside from the grape-feeding (Sean's messy) and being sequestered in a dark closet pounding away at e-mails, it's a pretty sweet gig. You'll be seeing a lot more of me over the next few weeks as we gear up for RB launch.

A little about me:
    I come from the land of Quality Assurance, so if you see any crazy bugs in the game or crashes we missed, you can probably blame me. Or the booze. My favorite game of all time is Baldur's Gate 2. I like lasagna, garbage plates... who am I kidding, I pretty much like all food. Oh, and I play entirely too much WoW and xbox live arcade (Carcassonne anybody?).

Anyway, that's all for now. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better!

John V. - "Johnlok"

P.S. - I need an avatar. Harumph. Who will help me choose!?? Maybe we can make it a contest!
    Hey JohnLok!

Sounds to me like you're all about fun, I can't wait to see what you bring to the forums!

An Avatar contest would be awesome, you should do that, I'd be up for taking a crack at making one for you.

I used to be way too involved in the "life" that is WoW, I left it before the expansion, good thing too, I gained a lot more free time! Still was ana amazing game though.
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    John you are about to enter the most awesome community ever. Here's to hoping new variants of the word awesome (awesome 2.0!?) will have to be made with you on board!

Now for that ceremony. Who brought the trout? I got the blindfold!
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    HMXJohnlok;80856 said:
    I'm holding my face in my palms right now. There's a really great ASCII image for this somewhere...
    I must see this image.
    edited October 2007
    Apples;80862 said:
    Wow, a Baldur's Gate 2 fan to boot. Jon Irenicus is probably my favorite gaming villain of all time... best voice acting in a game hands down.
    All I can say is... where have you been all my life?
  • PsycoCheerioPsycoCheerio Rising Star
    edited October 2007
    Welcome Mr. Johnlok...Best of luck to you around here you seem like you can hold your own...

as for the Orange Box...I haven't had time to play Episode 2 since I've spent WAY to much time on TF2 adn Portal...although I prefer the Spy (nothing like stabbing a fake teammate in the back) I don't think there is a single class in that game that I hate...
  • edited October 2007
    HMXJohnlok;80877 said:
    All I can say is... where have you been all my life?
    Where have I been? Playing Baldur's Gate and other righteous games I guess. :)

That game had so many memorable pieces... like the talking sword that insulted its bearer, all the side quests and characters, etc.

I'll take a pre-emptive stab at your avatar for fun. The original bad ass himself.

Oh and before I forget... the new community lead initiation involves announcing new songs and/or gameplay information, so you'd better get it over with before you find your desk filled with silly string.
  • _Axis__Axis_ Unsigned
    edited October 2007
    >.< I made a login name just so I could say hi to John.....HI JOHN!!! congrats on the gig. no fair getting a job whose at home responsibilites include gaming. you suck. even more so for finding permanant residence in Boston! when shall I ever see you again?! I've been meaning to get portal, looks sick. sadly, my job barely pays for car insurance and gas, so it shall have to wait. K john john, keep in touch.

~Bungo

p.s. rumor has it about IL reunion at thanksgiving? it'd be swell =o)
    edited October 2007
    Irenicus it is until further notice (eg. me getting sued or fired or something).
  • SmokaColaSmokaCola Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    Welcome John, and yeah Sean TF2 is a great multiplayer game. I play a good deal of the mechanic, I'm not one the guys that sits in the case room all day though and does nothing. I set up my sentry and go into the field, then usually I have to run back a bit because a heavy and medic is chasing me while I cry like a little girl.
  • edited October 2007
    OMG OMG Jonathan Coulton in Rock Band??? PLEASE!!!!!

Re: Your Brains
    Code Monkey
    First of May
    I'm Still Alive

I love Coulton!
  • edited October 2007
    Hey John!

Sorry I can't write you a longer welcoming message but I've just woken up and found the new info released by IGN, which is kinda prioritized over doing absolutely anything... cept 1 thing... but i don't know you well enough for that....

:/
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited October 2007
    This makes me wonder if I'm the only 360 owner to NOT have one of Bioshock,Halo 3 or Orange Box on their card.
  • edited October 2007
    Rock_Starman;81319 said:
    This makes me wonder if I'm the only 360 owner to NOT have one of Bioshock,Halo 3 or Orange Box on their card.
    It is possible. ;)
    edited October 2007
    Rock_Starman;81319 said:
    If you don't have those games, I really can't think of what you could have. You should probably look into getting one or all of those!
  • crunchyoverseascrunchyoverseas Opening Act
    edited October 2007
    better rule...I've only been waiting for it since frikken quakeworld.

That intro video ruled (for the day)....I played the **** outta that game. MUST>>>GET>>>>OCTOBER>>>PAYCHECK :D
  • DoshinDoshin Unsigned
    edited October 2007
    HMXJohnlok;80843 said:
    Whoa!! Like, hello?

A little about me:

John V. - "Johnlok"

Xbox live board games FTW, though i lose the intense intimidation in Cattan that i have when playing in real life, i like to subtly hint that if they don't co-operate their 6-source of grain could be visited by a very mean man later.....
  • SmokaColaSmokaCola Road Warrior
    edited October 2007
    Rock_Starman;81319 said:

Nah, I have Orange Box for the PC and I don't really care for Halo 3. I have Bioshock on the PC as well. So I mean... technically i'm a 360 owner with the games, Just not for the 360.
  • hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited October 2007
    HMXJohnlok;80843 said:

I come from the land of Quality Assurance, so if you see any crazy bugs in the game or crashes we missed, you can probably blame me.
    John, seeing that I sit right next to you in the dark closet, you'll probably just blame me...

1) Blame party!!!

2) Whoo! first post

3) Three!!
  • edited October 2007
    Welcome HMXJohnlok ... and Enosity?

Enosity,
    Did HMX run out of official nametags here? ;)
    edited October 2007
    Huskie;81450 said:

Enosity,
    He just thinks he's cool or something... psh!
  • edited October 2007
    Huskie;81450 said:

Enosity,
    Must think he's better than everyone else to break the code. Going to have a hard time fitting that big head back into that dark closet with an attitude like that. ;) :D :)