Green Grass and High Tides - Expert Guitar

Thrif7yThrif7y Unsigned
edited July 2010 in Rock Band
I can get to Solo 2H (i think) without using overdrive and make myself get through the first set of GRY zig-zags.. i know that you can whammy your overdrive to enough to survive the next group of zig zags.. but what id like to know is if there is any technique to get your way through this part?... (the zig-zags)... because even in overdrive i failed when i use it too close to failing and my next couple strums are wrong...

Comments

• ParalysedBeaverParalysedBeaver Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    I fail at Solo 2H as well, i know what my fingers have to do, just can't make them.
  • SlivedCupWinnerSlivedCupWinner Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    fairly common place for folks to have trouble. The technique I used to just get through the song was to strum every yellow. Then all I'm left to do is raise my fingers to hit the red and the green. Replacing my fingers sometimes get me the next red, but if I miss it, I'm strumming the yellow again. If you get the rythm down, you won't need overdrive at these parts as long as you are hitting the y-r-g. Be prepared though because you'll have the same zig zags shortly after that are b-y-r. Play those the same way. Then at the end, you'll see a o-b-y cascade (no blue on the way back to the o). I play these the same way, strumming every o and I tend to get an 8x multiplier on that section using that technique.
  • TornadoShaunUKTornadoShaunUK Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    I came unstuck on the very same bit as well. I finally managed Flirtin' With Disaster on expert guitar earlier and now only have GG&HT to complete the lot - got 80% through which was right up to solo 2H and then bombed out as I'd ran out of overdrive and just couldn't do the weird pattern that came up, up until then it wasn't really very hard...

that was my first run through of the song on expert as well and only my second on the song over all, I've gotten worse in my last few tries since then though.. :rolleyes:
  • HokonosoHokonoso Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    if ur trying to pass the song and using a strat just ignore every 4th note and either do only the GRY or the YRG and skip the next R and you will pass with about 70% without the use of OD (75% if u dont miss a note) if using a paul (or any guitar without solo frets) then do the same thing but strum the first note of the section, this is the best way to get thru this song the first time without having to learn how to actually do the zig-zags.

also note you are not done yet, there is one tiny choke point before the 96% triplets that get some ppl if they are not careful during the OBYR quadruplets section, just dont use OD there or else you WILL fail at 96%, best bet is to save OD till 96% and use ur full bar at the start (not when u get low or u will fail) then if using a strat (and not good with triplets) just mash OBY at the same time over and over as fast as possible, if using a paul u gotta actually play it for real.
  • Thrif7yThrif7y Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Currently im using the Les Paul.. my band in a box will arrive on Monday... ive practiced the zig-zags and on 70% speed i can get a good 80% on the section... but when i knock it to 80% speed i suck =/
  • HokonosoHokonoso Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Thrif7y;737796 said:
    Currently im using the Les Paul.. my band in a box will arrive on Monday... ive practiced the zig-zags and on 70% speed i can get a good 80% on the section... but when i knock it to 80% speed i suck =/
    yeah you will have lots of problems with this song using a paul and not totally owning at this game. i find the paul is for people who can finish GH3 on expert, if you can't do that then using a paul in rock band is just not worth it as you have to be perfect for the paul to work (and if you are perfect it is WAY better than a strat) but until then you should use a strat with solo intensive songs as it trivializes the content imo.
  • OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited June 2008
    If you can't do it, you can't do it.

Just do the obvious.

PRACTICE...
  • ZechmanZechman Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    The timing of those zig-zags is not uniform. The beginning of Solo 2H is not:

Y-R-G-R-Y-R-G-R-Y-R-G-R-Y-R-G-R...

It's more like:

Y-R-G--R--Y-R-G--R--Y-R-G--R--Y-R-G--R...

..which is why you can get by pretty easily by just doing the downward Y-R-G and ignoring the R in between. If you only hit the Y-R-G but do it consistently, the crowd-o-meter on the left will CLIMB. Rinse and repeat for the B-Y-R--Y--B... section that follows.

If you get the descending triplet technique down, then you can totally nail the O-B-Y triplets at the finale--they're at the same speed.

--Dwayne
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Thanks a lot, Thrif7y. Just reading that headline made my fingers hurt.
  • DRock067DRock067 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Make sure you are using star power through out the song. You want the meter to be green when you kick into the 2nd solo. There are enough Star power notes during the 2nd solo to build a reserve. When you do finally hit the triplet part try to make it as far as you can without using star power. Usually when the meter is red is when i kick into it. If timed right you'll go right into the next star power notes and increasing it just enough for the 2nd set of triplets.

After that make sure you calm down cause the rest is pretty simple but if your amped up you'll tend to miss the hammer ons and pull offs. One notable attempt by myself had me losing at 96%
  • robbieconrobbiecon Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Tough Song! But I won a competition by beating a guy in it. Thankfully there's no-fail in Score duel. Got double scores. Can't pass it in the main mode. These old hints might help though.
  • Wave57Wave57 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    One that part using the solo buttons I have my left index finger holding the green fret down, my left middle finger taps the reds and my right index finger taps the yellow. Doing this I can hit all of those notes.
  • acdcrockacdcrock Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    I was just playing this, and it was one of those "I can't believe my hands are doing this" moments, but then I tried to figure out how I was doing it perfectly and then I messed up. Luckily I had an expert drummer on hand to save my ass twice :S
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    the zig zag like 1 2 3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2 3 thing?

I get through that by listening to the music very carefully as I'm playing
  • Copper BlueCopper Blue Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    You gotta learn to use the solo tap buttons. I failed this song for a year and then I made a dedicated attempt to practice it using the solo buttons and I passed it fairly easily. As some have mentioned, hold down the green and just solo tap the other notes.
  • torquebluetorqueblue Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    yup had too much trouble with this song and gave up. then one day i decide to hold down the green fret. didnt work. then i had the idea of holding down the red fret while button pressing. to put is simple i held down the red fret on the higher bar and finger tapped the lower green and yellow notes and it worked like a charm. this also works on the second part holding down the yellow fret on the higher neck while finger tapping the lower red and blue frets. guess i should mention that this works only with the RB1 and 2 guitars and not the Guitar hero guitars. though you could try.
  • KigalasKigalas Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    I found a really nice way through the zig-zags (using the RB2 strat) - play the YRG as a triplet with your left hand and tap the red with your right hand, then just move up a fret for the next one.
  • jtrousdjtrousd Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    robbiecon;3858127 said:
    Tough Song! But I won a competition by beating a guy in it. Thankfully there's no-fail in Score duel. Got double scores. Can't pass it in the main mode. These old hints might help though.
    Shame, shame, shame on you necro!
  • kylerownsx62kylerownsx62 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    I strum and PO the triplets (YRG I believe for the first one and BYR for the second) for both fast parts. I ignore the note that brings you back into the pattern (R for the first, Y for the second), simply because I don't have the stamina to hit it every time. It makes it 10x easier and I rarely fail, even without OD.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited July 2010
    High fret tapping.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited July 2010
    atalkingfish;3858173 said:
    the zig zag like 1 2 3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2 3 thing?

I get through that by listening to the music very carefully as I'm playing
    I general give up on one of the notes. I can go Y-R-G well enough, but the extra R before I do it again throws me off, so I just go Y-R-G and strum at the Y, and I can get though it well enough to where I can use my OD the rest of the way though.

After that, it gets easier with the slower 4 note descending sweeps, and enough OD to make it to the end of the song.

Nice thread necro btw.
  • greenzoid2greenzoid2 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    just practice it, you'll get faster. Or get rb2 and practice the same thing in the second solo of Any Way You Want it, or in the Battery solo.

Just 3 weeks ago were my fingers fast enough to 96% the Battery solo, and it's very fun.
  • JRDBlackDragonJRDBlackDragon Rising Star
    edited July 2010
    i bet the OP still needs help on this song

(2 years later) "I STILL CAN'T DO THIS!"

this thread is old and i don't see why somebody brought this back in the 1st place
    edited July 2010
    I brought it back cos it came up in a google sarch for help with passing the song. I've been trying it for a long time now, and given that it's a long song it's a real pain to fail at 80-85% of the song all the time. Although I believe it has a tough part at 96% too, that lots of people fail on.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try these new methods. I guess dropping every fourth note is the way forward. I want to pass it, not do extremely well in it.
  • TheCoreBoreTheCoreBore Unsigned
    edited July 2010
    For me, I just listen to the music and let my fingers do specific things that go along with the music. What I mean is, I know that the highest note will always be my ring finger (because it's obviously going to be the yellow note--the highest). Also, and maybe it's just me, but when I listen to the solo, I hear that high note be more accented than the rest of them. So when that accented note comes up (the only note I'm really musically paying attention to), I know my fingers need to do the whole cycle and my ring finger needs to start it again. With this, I also intensely hit the yellow fret with my ring fret, more so than the other frets, that way my hand will keep up with this rhythm and I'll know where I am.

At that point, I really just pay attention to that one note and make sure my fingers are cycling within that appropriate rhythm. And speed is an issue, but don't think about it too much.

Hope that was helpful, and sorry if that was utterly confusing.
  • FITZERZFITZERZ Unsigned
    edited July 2010
    Try turning on breakneck speed in the extra menu. This helps space out the notes a bit and gives you a better chance at hitting them
  • blastissimo218blastissimo218 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    FITZERZ;3863355 said:
    Try turning on breakneck speed in the extra menu. This helps space out the notes a bit and gives you a better chance at hitting them
    BNS is not available on RB1.
    edited July 2010
    I can get 85% or so in practice on the tough parts now. But I still fail in-song. Either my concentration is gone from 7 minutes of play, or my monster mash tactic I've adopted is making me fail as I'm hitting too many buttons.
  • FITZERZFITZERZ Unsigned
    edited July 2010
    blastissimo218;3863568 said:
    BNS is not available on RB1.
    uh?? Then export it to Rock Band 2 and then turn it on :D