Seth's midi Adapter (aka Use Electronic Drums to play Rock Band)

Comments

  • mpkelley20mpkelley20 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    dagware;775245 said:
    One thing I'm considering is adding another crash to the left of my ride, right near my hi-hat. There's some songs where you have to go from crash to hi-hat really fast, and this would help. Of course, my brain could probably never handle this!

    Regarding hi-hats: Since my set is DIY, I just placed the hi-hat above and left of the snare, and a little higher. (Click the bottom link in my sig for a picture.) Do you (or anyone else) have any pictures of how most people set up their (real) hi-hats, so I can see if I need to reposition it? Thanks.

    Dan
    My original config of my Roland set had the crash on the left side and ride on the right. I found that it was easier for me to switch this around (very easy on an E-drum set!) so now my ride is on the same side as my hi-hat. I am thinking about a second crash as well but not until I get better as Roland add ons are rather expensive for an amateur like me!

    The position of your hi-hate seems to be consistent with what I use and what others have. David appears to be a pro so I would listen to him over me but it looks like we are in agreement!
  • dagwaredagware Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    mpkelley20;775947 said:
    David appears to be a pro so I would listen to him over me but it looks like we are in agreement!
    David is a god.

    Dan
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited June 2008
    dagware;775503 said:
    Thanks. So when you're playing, does your right arm actually cross over your left hand (or arm), or is your right arm further away from your body? In other words, if you lift your left had straight up, would it hit your right arm?

    And how much higher is your right arm than your left?
    Well, it's hard to put it into words...here, watch this (just did a YT search for "basic rock beat" to find this vid):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ_X25MtP6k

    Because of my toms, my hi-hat is a little more to the left than that, so my arms are in slightly different positions than that guy, but that's pretty close. So no, if I lifted up my left hand, it would not hit my right arm, but my stick would.

    Notice how when his left stick comes up to hit the snare, the right stick actually goes up a little higher to give the left more room to rise.
    dagware;775969 said:
    David is a god.
    Lol thanks, but I'm just a guy...who loves to play drums :)
  • dagwaredagware Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    davidshek;776029 said:
    Well, it's hard to put it into words...here, watch this (just did a YT search for "basic rock beat" to find this vid):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ_X25MtP6k

    Because of my toms, my hi-hat is a little more to the left than that, so my arms are in slightly different positions than that guy, but that's pretty close. So no, if I lifted up my left hand, it would not hit my right arm, but my stick would.

    Notice how when his left stick comes up to hit the snare, the right stick actually goes up a little higher to give the left more room to rise.
    Perfect -- that's just what I needed. Thanks!
    Lol thanks, but I'm just a guy...who loves to play drums :)
    Have you never seen Ghost Busters? "When someone asks if you are a god, you say YES!" :p

    Dan
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited June 2008
    dagware;776599 said:
    Have you never seen Ghost Busters? "When someone asks if you are a god, you say YES!" :p
    There is no David, only Zuuuuuul! :cool:
  • dagwaredagware Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    davidshek;777036 said:
    There is no David, only Zuuuuuul! :cool:
    Thought I smelled burnt dog around here!

    OK, enough of the digressing. Sorry.

    Dan
  • jakecarlsonjakecarlson Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Hi folks,

    I just wanted to let everyone know that Seth's controller is ridiculously cool, and it works great with Wii Rock Band. The craftsmanship really impressed me, to be honest. Well done, Seth!

    Jake
  • RoganSarineRoganSarine Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Hey Dag, when I get Seth's adapter I will make my own video, but I was wondering if you or someone could kind of make a video or something of how the heck to set the thing up? I know there are instructions that I asked Seth to send me (through an email if possible) because I erally don't get how this thing works and I kind of want to know before I invest in it.

    Iw as reading reviews on the ION set (the REAL e-set), and people were saying that it was very poorly made and generally did not last longer than a year and that the clamps were very weak (To position the crash and stuff). So, I'm kind of trying to get the real drum experience without paying for the ION controller brain.

    And, it also seems that for the ~$666-750 pricepoint that the ION goes for... I can get Seth's adapter and a better built drumset that is bundled with a module...

    Edit: Also, can anyone recommend me an e-drum set from this list?

    http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/drums.cfm?list=1&id=226

    I am re-learning the drums, and kind of never used an e-set before so I don't know what to look for... Long & McQuade doesn't have a online catelogue... So if anyone could tell me what I should look for...
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2008
    RoganSarine;883262 said:
    Edit: Also, can anyone recommend me an e-drum set from this list?

    http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/drums.cfm?list=1&id=226
    Really it depends on your price range. Obviously from that list, the best kit is the Roland TD-20K, but it also comes with a $6000 price tag :)

    The Roland TD-3 is good too, but is around $1000.

    Avoid the Sonic SD-502...it's a step down from what the Ion kit is (the DD-505).

    And the Yamaha DTXplorer is actually pretty nice for the $700 cost.
  • RoganSarineRoganSarine Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    davidshek;883365 said:
    Really it depends on your price range. Obviously from that list, the best kit is the Roland TD-20K, but it also comes with a $6000 price tag :)

    The Roland TD-3 is good too, but is around $1000.

    Avoid the Sonic SD-502...it's a step down from what the Ion kit is (the DD-505).

    And the Yamaha DTXplorer is actually pretty nice for the $700 cost.
    Basically... my price point is around 700-1000... Kind of wanting to keep the price low, but still effective. I'm in school, so I don't want to make a large whole in my wallet.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2008
    RoganSarine;883834 said:
    Basically... my price point is around 700-1000... Kind of wanting to keep the price low, but still effective. I'm in school, so I don't want to make a large whole in my wallet.
    Well then it comes down to a choice of brand. Roland is THE name in e-drums, but tend to be a bit pricey. If you can afford it, they're definitely worth it though. I have a TD-20 set and it's amazing. As I sent in my last post, you can get a TD-3 for around $1000, and they're really nice.

    But Yamaha is also one of the top name brands in e-drums. You can get the DTXplorer for around $700, or the higher line DTXpress IV for $1000.

    Browse here:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/electronic-drum-sets?N=100001+304772
    http://www.samash.com/catalog/categorysub.asp?CategorySubID=33&departmentid=4&sourcetype=categorysearch
    http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Electronic-Drum-Sets--2501

    Personally, if I were to spend $1000 right now on an e-drum kit, I'd go with the Roland TD-3 over the Yamaha DTXpress. The Roland has a better, more versatile brain and also a mesh snare. Plus I like that it has an actual e-cymbal as the hi-hat, as opposed to the DTXpress, which just has another regular pad there.
  • edited July 2008
    Are there any youtube vids of this nifty little device in action, especially its installation > play.

    Now that this has been done I'm tempted to cancel my pre-order for the RB2 bundle and buy a ellie kit and just the game by itself.
  • Xero314-2Xero314-2 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    RoganSarine;883834 said:
    Basically... my price point is around 700-1000... Kind of wanting to keep the price low, but still effective. I'm in school, so I don't want to make a large whole in my wallet.
    When I bought my E-drums recently I was originally looking in the sub $1k price range. I ended up buying a TD-9 KX, and so far it has been worth every penny all 190k of them. If you want quite or realistic you have to go with the mesh heads, anything else just isn't the same. Also the with a kit like the TD-9 you can remap the midi how ever you want and I think Seth might have a cheaper adapter available (or you can build your own for even less) that will work well with that functionality (not that the few bucks you save on the adapter covers the extra grand or so for the kit).

    But I also used to be a drummer and this is not my first kit and it's not just for Rock Band, so you may not need something this extravigant, but at least it's not a TD-20.
  • jpicemanjpiceman Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I have had the adapter for about a month now and it really is awesome. Basically all it really is, is a small white box, with a midi in adapter on 1 side and usb adapter on the other. The box translates the midi number from your e-kit to colors/controls that rockband picks up. So basically its just like using the stock kit as far as function. The cool thing with the adapter is that you can program any color to any note.

    I haven't touched the programming part at all as it comes ready to go as in:

    Red: Snare
    Yellow: Hi-Hat, and Tom1
    Blue: Tom 2, and Ride
    Green: Tom 3 and Crash

    There is even a mode button that you can push for songs like RttH (since the snare and hi-hat are switched on that song) And it switches the pads.

    The whole adapter is only about 3x3x3" It has all the buttons that a controller does, D-Pad, start, ps button, ect.....

    As to answer the other question about which e-kit to get. David is right of course it depends on your price range, but if your looking at $1000 then I would HIGHLY suggest the Roland TD-3. I was able to get mine at Sam Ashe for $940 Don't forget though the bass pedal doesn't come with the kit so expect to spend around another $50-$100 on a pedal. I got the Pearl P-900 which was I think $63, which is a newer version of the pedal thats used to make the omega pedal. (BTW a side note, I never new it was so easy to mod a real pedal to work with the stock kit, used this pedal till Seth's adapter came) Also you will need headphones too.

    All and all I spent about $1100 and I love my kit. Keep in mind though that it is a starter kit as far as Rolands go. If you want to spend another $300-$400 then you can go with the TD-6. I have had my kit about a month and I'm already looking into some upgrades for it, but thats my personal taste. I just like the Mesh better then the rubber, so to replace the 3 toms is about $150-$200 a peice. I haven't priced a new brain yet though.

    All and all I would suggest the TD-3 starting out. I would check if there is a Sam Ashe in your area as they really are first class all the way. Thats how I got the kit for $940 pretty much if you ask for a discount most likley you will get one, lol.

    Sorry for the long post, just trying to get everyones questions answered. Any other questions just let me know.
  • sethmeistergsethmeisterg Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    jpiceman;884376 said:
    I have had the adapter for about a month now and it really is awesome. Basically all it really is, is a small white box, with a midi in adapter on 1 side and usb adapter on the other. The box translates the midi number from your e-kit to colors/controls that rockband picks up. So basically its just like using the stock kit as far as function. The cool thing with the adapter is that you can program any color to any note.

    I haven't touched the programming part at all as it comes ready to go as in:

    Red: Snare
    Yellow: Hi-Hat, and Tom1
    Blue: Tom 2, and Ride
    Green: Tom 3 and Crash

    There is even a mode button that you can push for songs like RttH (since the snare and hi-hat are switched on that song) And it switches the pads.

    The whole adapter is only about 3x3x3" It has all the buttons that a controller does, D-Pad, start, ps button, ect.....

    As to answer the other question about which e-kit to get. David is right of course it depends on your price range, but if your looking at $1000 then I would HIGHLY suggest the Roland TD-3. I was able to get mine at Sam Ashe for $940 Don't forget though the bass pedal doesn't come with the kit so expect to spend around another $50-$100 on a pedal. I got the Pearl P-900 which was I think $63, which is a newer version of the pedal thats used to make the omega pedal. (BTW a side note, I never new it was so easy to mod a real pedal to work with the stock kit, used this pedal till Seth's adapter came) Also you will need headphones too.

    All and all I spent about $1100 and I love my kit. Keep in mind though that it is a starter kit as far as Rolands go. If you want to spend another $300-$400 then you can go with the TD-6. I have had my kit about a month and I'm already looking into some upgrades for it, but thats my personal taste. I just like the Mesh better then the rubber, so to replace the 3 toms is about $150-$200 a peice. I haven't priced a new brain yet though.

    All and all I would suggest the TD-3 starting out. I would check if there is a Sam Ashe in your area as they really are first class all the way. Thats how I got the kit for $940 pretty much if you ask for a discount most likley you will get one, lol.

    Sorry for the long post, just trying to get everyones questions answered. Any other questions just let me know.
    Thanks for the compliments!

    BTW, If you're considering Roland, I have to mention BPM Music. They have the absolute LOWEST prices on Roland gear (and I've looked, believe me). Check out http://bpmmusic.com -- he does require that you sign up for a free account before giving price quotes (I'm not 100% sure why, but it's only a very minor annoyance for the savings). There's no pressure to buy -- and the guy is really nice.
  • sethmeistergsethmeisterg Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    RoganSarine;883262 said:
    Hey Dag, when I get Seth's adapter I will make my own video, but I was wondering if you or someone could kind of make a video or something of how the heck to set the thing up? I know there are instructions that I asked Seth to send me (through an email if possible) because I erally don't get how this thing works and I kind of want to know before I invest in it.

    Iw as reading reviews on the ION set (the REAL e-set), and people were saying that it was very poorly made and generally did not last longer than a year and that the clamps were very weak (To position the crash and stuff). So, I'm kind of trying to get the real drum experience without paying for the ION controller brain.

    And, it also seems that for the ~$666-750 pricepoint that the ION goes for... I can get Seth's adapter and a better built drumset that is bundled with a module...

    Edit: Also, can anyone recommend me an e-drum set from this list?

    http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/drums.cfm?list=1&id=226

    I am re-learning the drums, and kind of never used an e-set before so I don't know what to look for... Long & McQuade doesn't have a online catelogue... So if anyone could tell me what I should look for...

    Yea, I have to apologize for not making a video. I've got a video camera, but I've just never posted anything on YouTube before (yea, how lame of me ;)). I'll try creating one shortly. Anyone else who has my adapter is welcomed to make a video, too, BTW :).
  • dagwaredagware Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    sethmeisterg;884651 said:
    Anyone else who has my adapter is welcomed to make a video, too, BTW :).
    I don't have a video camera. I've been wanting to make a video of me playing my edrums with RB, but obviously I can't without a camera.

    I might go buy a cheap webcam and see what I can produce with that. But don't hold your breath.

    Dan
  • dagwaredagware Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    RoganSarine;883262 said:
    Hey Dag, when I get Seth's adapter I will make my own video, but I was wondering if you or someone could kind of make a video or something of how the heck to set the thing up? I know there are instructions that I asked Seth to send me (through an email if possible) because I erally don't get how this thing works and I kind of want to know before I invest in it.
    Honestly, you don't need a video. Plug it in and it will probably work perfectly out of the box. The only time you'll need to change settings is if you want to use a different MIDI note to trigger a different pad. But Seth's out-of-the-box configuration will work for the majority of setups and songs.

    However if you *do* want to change a mapping, It's as easy as a few button presses, followed by hitting the drum you want to map while holding down the button to map it to. Trust me, it's simple.

    And of course if you have questions, we're all here to help!

    Dan
  • dagwaredagware Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Oh, and regarding which edrum set to get, you could always make your own, like I did. If you haven't already, click on the bottom link in my sig. Complete instruction with pictures! (Well, almost complete -- I still haven't documented how I hooked everything up to my Alesis DM5, but that was the easy part.)

    :D

    Dan
  • karmalordkarmalord Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Before this thread the song was:" I still haven't found what I'm looking for". Now it seems I will be singing " Your Just What I Needed"! I have a Roland TD-10 and TD-6 married together only 5 feet from my PS3!
    I have shattered /RMA'd three RB stock sets. Have Gorilla/Super glued+ mesh taped the crap out of them many times so I can still play. I have seen what is coming out and haven't been overly impressed. I was staring down that road when I again wondered: why can't I use the real deal? Thanks to the RB search feature-Here I am! Woot!

    I've put the miles in on this game(though still a few to go)so I think I deserve this(and my TD-10 will be happy I'm playing them instead!) I believe my wife will approve as she is the #1 ranked (female) PS3 vocalist in the game(Onezenchic),we play frequently together(Beauty and the Beats)and solo,so she knows my frustrations. I wont get my hopes too high,but as a drummer for over 30 years, this has to be the answer. Thank you!
  • karmalordkarmalord Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Here is a couple of shots of my Roland kit that I hope to use for RB[ATTACH]1477[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]1478[/ATTACH]
    259 x 194 - 41K
    1037 x 778 - 98K
    drums 3.jpg 40.9K
    drums4.jpg 97.6K
  • dagwaredagware Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    karmalord;888843 said:
    Before this thread the song was:" I still haven't found what I'm looking for". Now it seems I will be singing " Your Just What I Needed"! I have a Roland TD-10 and TD-6 married together only 5 feet from my PS3!
    Yep, Seth is definitely your friend!

    One little bit of warning. In some ways, it's harder to play RB on electronic drums (for me anyway, IANADIRL). For example, you see a blue note, and you have to decide if it's a ride or a tom, or even an open hh. That split second of indecision will cost you big time! Sometimes my brain just freezes and I can't hit anything at all. :rolleyes:

    But in all seriousness, it's a total blast even if some songs might be harder. I've learned to turn the sound off from my edrums on certain songs, because I suck so much it totally throws me off!

    Dan
  • jpicemanjpiceman Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Since you been drumming 30 years, I see you having no problems, lol. Just contact Seth and place your order. It will work on your kit. I'm not a overly great drum player but just getting the adapter and ditching the stock kit made me alot better. At least I'm passing songs now I never passed before. If I can do that, you will probably sky rocket.

    Any questions or anything just let me know. Or if ya ever want to jam in game.
  • Xero314-2Xero314-2 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    karmalord;888843 said:
    I have a Roland TD-10 and TD-6 married together only 5 feet from my PS3!
    ...
    I wont get my hopes too high,but as a drummer for over 30 years, this has to be the answer. Thank you!
    Not to take away from Seths work, because honestly even though I chose not to purchase his adapter, yet, I like what he is doing, but there is a cheaper solution if you are at all technically inclined.

    Since you seem to have a number of broken RB Kits you can make them useful again with a little solder and Midi to Relay converter.

    I have not completed mine yet, but I did get the wiring done on the RB kit itself and if was simple, very simple. If you purchase the converter pre assembled (I did not and have will have put 2 or 3 hours into assembly by the time it is done) you can have the whole thing up and running in an hour or so.

    If you are not technically incline, then shoot Seth an email and get yourself one of his adapters, and thank him on behalf of the community for everything he's done.
  • sethmeistergsethmeisterg Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Xero314-2;890302 said:
    Not to take away from Seths work, because honestly even though I chose not to purchase his adapter, yet, I like what he is doing, but there is a cheaper solution if you are at all technically inclined.

    Since you seem to have a number of broken RB Kits you can make them useful again with a little solder and Midi to Relay converter.

    I have not completed mine yet, but I did get the wiring done on the RB kit itself and if was simple, very simple. If you purchase the converter pre assembled (I did not and have will have put 2 or 3 hours into assembly by the time it is done) you can have the whole thing up and running in an hour or so.

    If you are not technically incline, then shoot Seth an email and get yourself one of his adapters, and thank him on behalf of the community for everything he's done.

    I totally agree. Since my main goal was to provide a solution for people who don't want to- or can't- assemble the MSA-P modification, if you do want to take the time to go the MSA-P route, the up-front cost will be less (since it's just your time that you're burning). From a technical perspective (if you're so-inclined) it's fun to assemble the hardware modification yourself (at least, as a geek, I think so :)). At the very least, you should be able to sell your broken kits to other people who do want to do it themselves, and use that money to fund your ultimate decision :).
  • mpkelley20mpkelley20 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I've had Seth's controller now for about a month and I would never consider using the stock drum set again. I wrote a short/medium review on it in the AVS Forums (see below link about 1/4 of the page down)

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=900042&page=46

    Hooking this thing up is about as easy as plugging in a lamp. One MIDI cable from your kit to the adaptor and one USB (A to B connector) from the adpator to the PS3 USB port. That's it. And it worked right away with zero configuration needed. Just tunr your PS3 on and it is already lit up and working.

    I am using the Roland TD-3 and love it. Cost me $950 from musician friend and it came with a bass pedal and headphones (I've upgraded both since I got it!). The kit has everything you need for RB and to play real drums and since Seth used a roland kit to build and test his adaptor, you know it will work with no issues. The only chnage I am considering for my kit is adding a second crash cymbal which has nothing to do with the adaptor but rather just making it easier to play certain songs.

    I would love to get a viseo up but like Seth, I have never done it and its hard to find time with an 18 month old!

    If you hae an E-kit or are considering one to learn how to play real drums, this is the way to go rather than the Ion or other aftermarket kit. The adaptor basically let's you play a real E drums set on RB whereas the ION kit and Goodwood Mesh are designed for rock band primarily with the potential for add ons later. In my opinion, its worth getting a quality real kit that will last a long time and can be expanded was you get better.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2008
    mpkelley20;895379 said:
    If you hae an E-kit or are considering one to learn how to play real drums, this is the way to go rather than the Ion or other aftermarket kit. The adaptor basically let's you play a real E drums set on RB whereas the ION kit and Goodwood Mesh are designed for rock band primarily with the potential for add ons later. In my opinion, its worth getting a quality real kit that will last a long time and can be expanded was you get better.
    Your entire post was full of win, mpkelley. Very good points all around. I would buy one of Seth's adapters in a heartbeat for my TD-20, except he hasn't figured out the whole Xbox 360 thing yet :(
  • mpkelley20mpkelley20 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    davidshek;895396 said:
    Your entire post was full of win, mpkelley. Very good points all around. I would buy one of Seth's adapters in a heartbeat for my TD-20, except he hasn't figured out the whole Xbox 360 thing yet :(
    That's why you should upgrade your home gaming to a pS3 :D


    Sorry...had to say it!! And by the way...I am very envious of you with the TD-20!!! I suppose you could throw the upgrade thing back my way since I am using a measly TD-3!
  • Seahawk76Seahawk76 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    My adaptor is in the mail and I can't wait to try it with my DM5 Pro. The only downside is I had to buy a PS3 Rock Band disk and won't have the DLC I'd downloaded on my 360.

    For those thinking of buying the Ion kit for $300, I got my DM5 Pro for $599 plus free shipping (the bass pedal must be bought separately). It's definitely worth the extra money if you can afford it.
  • Seahawk76Seahawk76 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I got Seth's adaptor in the mail today and it worked great right out of the box. I just plugged it in and started playing immediately on my DM5 Pro without even looking at the manual. I ran through the first seven songs on Expert and it worked beautifully.

    Playing RB on a real drum set is much more challenging and useful for those who want to learn to play or improve their skills. If you have an electronic drum kit and a PS3 I highly recommend Seth's adaptor.
Sign In or Register to comment.