Weekly HMX Dev Rock Blog Thread - 6/16 to 6/20

edited June 2008 in Announcements
Hey gang! There's not much cooking for me on the Rock Band / HMX front this week, so I wrote a Rock Blog about going to see the new Incredible Hulk movie instead! I'm a huge comic dork, so read on for rampant fanboyism.

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/hmxhenry/352514?redir=1

I've got a little bit of work travel in my future so I'll have some rad Rock Band stories for you next week. Promise!

-HMXHenry

Comments

• AeroZeppelinSevenfoldAeroZeppelinSevenfold Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Henry, i don't really like the hulk, but it sounds good. Iron Man was an amazing movie though.

so you like the cars and the pixies albums Johnlok? how is it playing doolittle while we have to suffer without it? huh?:D

and heart greatest hits. sounds good. iim in a huge Nirvana phase right now, so i'm gonna buy the unplugged DVD, the In Utero album, and Bleach, if i can find it.

my friend has also burnt me off the new Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed albums! which i can't wait for.

thanks HMX for disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold. especially the latter one. i've been requesting them for months. i've even prayed for them to be on the disc release.

just thanks for this weeks DLC and i can't wait for tomorrow. also, GET THE CITY OF EVIL ALBUM ON ROCK BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also, you have another copy of Rock Band sold. a friend of mine has been been telling me for months that once A7X gets on Rock Band, he is buying it right away.

my other friend lost all hope of A7X on rock band when Almost Easy was released on GH3. but i believed. I'M PUMPED FOR TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2008
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited June 2008
    Apples;748110 said:
    What's Apples doing this week? Sports? Unpossible.

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/Apples/352938
    Your Blog is Interesting my Friend!
  • ChaoclysmChaoclysm Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    HMXHenry;746735 said:
    Hey gang! There's not much cooking for me on the Rock Band / HMX front this week, so I wrote a Rock Blog about going to see the new Incredible Hulk movie instead! I'm a huge comic dork, so read on for rampant fanboyism.

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/hmxhenry/352514?redir=1

I've got a little bit of work travel in my future so I'll have some rad Rock Band stories for you next week. Promise!

-HMXHenry
    That's cool. I'm going to see the Hulk later in the week. I'm a huge comic fan too. If you're willing to give it a chance you should check out Planet Hulk. It's a twelve issue storyline and I felt the same way you did about Hulk until I read it.
  • mysticnejimysticneji Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Chaoclysm;748541 said:
    That's cool. I'm going to see the Hulk later in the week. I'm a huge comic fan too. If you're willing to give it a chance you should check out Planet Hulk. It's a twelve issue storyline and I felt the same way you did about Hulk until I read it.
    Planet Hulk was awesome!! Great story and really made me feel bad for the Hulk. I rooted for him during World War Hulk, although I would have done that anyway but even more so after reading Planet Hulk.
  • edited June 2008
    Chaoclysm;748541 said:
    ...you should check out Planet Hulk...
    Planet Hulk was an awesome read. That, along with the first arc in Return of the Monster, is probably one of the only Hulk stories I've enjoyed in the last 15 years. Oh, except for that back up story by James Kolchaka where Hulk tries to fight the rain.

I just wish they didn't have to shoot him into outer space to make him an interesting character again.
  • JMaqIsYourHeroJMaqIsYourHero Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    HMXHenry;749025 said:
    Oh, except for that back up story by James Kolchaka where Hulk tries to fight the rain.
    Spoiler alert:

They totally ripped off that scene for the movie. Or at the very least, it was all I could think about during that cave scene. I loves me some Kochalka!

I would like to add that if you haven't read Startling Stories: Banner, you're missing out on one of the smashiest Hulks, cockiest Doc Samsons, and most painfully tortured Banners in comics history. A must read. [/hyperbole]
  • Bigby_WolfBigby_Wolf Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    My user name is actually from Fables. If you haven't read that and The Sandman, do yourself a favor and check them out. They're not about superheroes though so it might not appeal as much to the normal comic book fan.
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited June 2008
    Bigby_Wolf;749243 said:
    My user name is actually from Fables. If you haven't read that and The Sandman, do yourself a favor and check them out. They're not about superheroes though so it might not appeal as much to the normal comic book fan.
    I just finished reading the 10th volume (which I borrowed from Henry). Good stuff! I'm looking forward to the last Y trade, too.
  • Bigby_WolfBigby_Wolf Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    HMXJohnlok;749257 said:
    I just finished reading the 10th volume (which I borrowed from Henry). Good stuff! I'm looking forward to the last Y trade, too.
    I've not gotten to read the latest volume, but I'll probably buy it pretty soon. I like Y as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends.
  • ChaoclysmChaoclysm Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    I'm mostly a Marvel person but I wouldn't mind giving Sandman a try if I could find the first volume.
  • edited June 2008
    Greetings, and a fine how do you do to all the members of the Rock Band posse out there. It is officially time for my first "rock blog." For this first "rock blog," I give a little background about myself, explain why my job rules, and list off 2008 albums I dig a whole bunch. It's long-winded and needlessly self-indulgent, so it's the perfect introduction to this funny little muddle called Alex.

Enjoy, and comment away!

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/HMXaleX/353486
  • edited June 2008
    HMXaleX;749950 said:
    Greetings, and a fine how do you do to all the members of the Rock Band posse out there. It is officially time for my first "rock blog." For this first "rock blog," I give a little background about myself, explain why my job rules, and list off 2008 albums I dig a whole bunch. It's long-winded and needlessly self-indulgent, so it's the perfect introduction to this funny little muddle called Alex.

Enjoy, and comment away!

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/HMXaleX/353486

Absolutely sublime blogging. Maybe instead of song recommendations, you should offer up some blogging tips to the rest of the community team. (Especially HMX Henry, lord knows he needs it!)
    edited June 2008
    Apples;750058 said:
    Absolutely sublime blogging. Maybe instead of song recommendations, you should offer up some blogging tips to the rest of the community team. (Especially HMX Henry, lord knows he needs it!)
    You are so fired.
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited June 2008
    :eek: Little harsh John??
  • Shillelagh LawShillelagh Law Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Chaoclysm;749848 said:
    I'm mostly a Marvel person but I wouldn't mind giving Sandman a try if I could find the first volume.
    Sandman is very easy to find. Most book stores carrry it in their Graphic Novel section.
  • HendrixxHendrixx Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Any of youse HMX guys read any Preacher?
  • edited June 2008
    Hendrixx;751295 said:
    Any of youse HMX guys read any Preacher?
    Goodness, yes. Far and away one of my favorite series of all time.

I'm thinking about buying some original art from Preacher with my tax refund play money.
    edited June 2008
    Henry, do you have any comic art already? I'd be intrested in seeing the collection if you do.
  • edited June 2008
    I have a few pages and sketches of a much more indie comic nature. I've got an amazing page from Scott Pilgrim Vol 1 by Brian Lee O'Malley, a rad full page ink sketch from Becky Cloonan of DEMO (thanks HMXCasey!), some design sketches of the recent Milk and Cheese vinyl figures by Evan Dorkin, an original three panel comic that Liz Prince gave me for making her a mix tape, and a few other oddball things here and there.

I think I'll be buying a page of original Ambush Bug art this weekend, as a late birthday present to myself. I'll have to start a comic thread at some point and post pictures of stuff (so I don't keep hogging all of the Rock Blog thread).
    edited June 2008
    Awesome. Ambush Bug is a great choice. I'm hitting Heroes this weekend to score some sketches. I've got some page art from Flash, Criminal Macabre, BPRD, Mouse Guard, and a small Mignola Hellboy piece.
  • edited June 2008
    I bet the Mouse Guard page looks awesome. Is it painted or just the pencils?

Guy Davis's stuff on BPRD is really interesting. His style is so subtle and wispy in comparison to Mignola's but it's always great to look at.

Who did your Flash page? HMXTheMax and I went to a con recently to see Scott Kollins, but he wasn't doing any sketches. I would have liked a Captain Cold by him.

Oh! I have a sketch of The Goon from Eric Powell too. I traded him a VHS copy of I'm Gonna Get You Sucka for it. Good times.
  • CyberdyneCyberdyne Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    HMXHenry;751584 said:
    I traded him a VHS copy of I'm Gonna Get You Sucka for it. Good times.
    DUDE! i've got that on dvd! it was an impulse buy for 3.99 while waiting in line. cheeper then renting it, hells yeah i'll get that. such a good errr... bad movie.

"got change for a hundred!?"
    edited June 2008
    henry, I sent you a pm so I'm not derailing this thread any more.
    edited June 2008
  • SmidgetSmidget Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Shillelagh Law;751548 said:
    Awesome. Ambush Bug is a great choice. I'm hitting Heroes this weekend to score some sketches. I've got some page art from Flash, Criminal Macabre, BPRD, Mouse Guard, and a small Mignola Hellboy piece.
    I completely forgot about Heroes being this weekend. I haven't gone in a few years now as my hobbies have changed (used to collect figures and anime stuff) but maybe I'll stop by for a day, I need some new soundtracks. Looks like the con has got its legs back. When I stopped going the attendance had started to dwindle.

EDIT:

John, I think you should make that all happen
  • edited June 2008
    Control the gastronomic fate of several HMX devs by checking out my latest Rock Blog and posting suggestions about where we should eat in New York City this Saturday.

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/hmxhenry/354239?redir=1
  • grasa_totalgrasa_total Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    HMXHenry;751523 said:
    I've got an amazing page from Scott Pilgrim Vol 1 by Brian Lee O'Malley
    Scott Pilgrim rules my world. I heard tons of recommendations for it while somehow not hearing about the book's main conceit, so when I read the first book, the, uh, encounter with Matthew Patel at the end completely took me by surprise.