Rock Band DLC Statosphere 06/17/2008 MTV2 Pack and Maximo Park and MGS4.. Err no MGS4

MrStatoMrStato Opening Act
edited June 2008 in Rock Band
Rock Band DLC Statosphere - stats for ALL downloadable songs.

Poor sales for this week's newest additions: the MTV2 Pack 01 and Maximo Park's "Girls Who Play Guitars". None of the 4 songs could wrestle their way into the top 3 which is still taken by the Disturbed pack. Not surprising since none of these bands are really all that known. No cherry bombs though.

and etc etc, back to Ninja Gaiden 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4!

Comments

• Samuel346Samuel346 Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Yeah I can say that I downloaded all of them and was not impressed.
  • BearclawBearclaw Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I downloaded the MTV2 pack, I can't complain. All fun songs for the most part and they aren't half bad to listen to.
  • xenocide38xenocide38 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Bullets and Guns is by far my favorite. Sad to see such low numbers but it was expected. Glad HMX went out on a limb for people like me who enjoy more indie stuff.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I've downloaded them all. Surely not the most challenging songs, but my friends and I had a great time playing them.
  • qwertyuioqwertyuio Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    disturbed did so well b/c they were $1... not bashing them or anything, mtv2 pack did surprisingly okay b/c they're $1 too, if they were 2, they wouldn't have been dl'd by many except for ppl like me who dl everything for variety and b/c we're OCD.

And the Runaways are an important punk band, wtf is everyone's problem with them? Calling bad songs cherry bombs, YOU guys need to get bombed.... Not that I listen to them in my spare time or anything, but why not just disrespect Hendrix while you're at it?
    edited June 2008
    qwertyuio;748595 said:
    disturbed did so well b/c they were $1... not bashing them or anything, mtv2 pack did surprisingly okay b/c they're $1 too, if they were 2, they wouldn't have been dl'd by many except for ppl like me who dl everything for variety and b/c we're OCD.

And the Runaways are an important punk band, wtf is everyone's problem with them? Calling bad songs cherry bombs, YOU guys need to get bombed.... Not that I listen to them in my spare time or anything, but why not just disrespect Hendrix while you're at it?
    Disturbed did well because people like Disturbed; Their new cd is number 1 on the billboard.
  • TheKrazyKatzzzTheKrazyKatzzz Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I downloaded two from last week's MTV pack... the "clean shot" one is not bad at all on drums.

I think songs like "Pain and Pleasure" and "I'm in Touch With Your World" should get their own special category... the "You low-end of the album" pack, for songs doing significantly worse than the rest of the album.

And good to see Fortunate Son finally going Gold Unknown.
    edited June 2008
    Oh yeah, I just noticed something: CHERRY BOMB WAS RELEASED THE SAME WEEK METALLICA, THE POLICE, FORTUNATE SON, JUKEBOX HERO, MY SHARONA WAS RELEASED. It was simply overshadowed, no other reason. most people wouldn't have bought all that at once, metallica and police packs would have had to come first.

So call bad songs "motherhips" from now on if they need a nickname, thanks....
    edited June 2008
    Samuel346;748602 said:
    Disturbed did well because people like Disturbed; Their new cd is number 1 on the billboard.
    No, people like new music and there's no way in hell it would have done half as good if it was $2. Did I bash it? I actually thought it was kind of insulting to price them below motherhips... I don't listen to them, but they are talented and their songs are fun to play. Still, even the best, most well liked songs haven't done that good. Maybe I should have said it's a combination of their popularity and low price...

anyway back on subject... the new songs aren't that bad to play, nothing I'd listen to though, and nothing I'd have dl'd if I didn't need as many songs on RB as possible.
    edited June 2008
    qwertyuio;748615 said:
    No, people like new music and there's no way in hell it would have done half as good if it was $2. Did I bash it? I actually thought it was kind of insulting to price them below motherhips... I don't listen to them, but they are talented and their songs are fun to play. Still, even the best, most well liked songs haven't done that good. Maybe I should have said it's a combination of their popularity and low price...

anyway back on subject... the new songs aren't that bad to play, nothing I'd listen to though, and nothing I'd have dl'd if I didn't need as many songs on RB as possible.
    I think the point in the low price was because they were brand new songs- no one knew what to expect.

So to entice people, they had the lowered price.
    edited June 2008
    [QUOTE=TheKrazyKatzzz;748604]I think songs like "Pain and Pleasure" and "I'm in Touch With Your World" should get their own special category... the "You low-end of the album" pack, for songs doing significantly worse than the rest of the album.
    [QUOTE]

First off, I like PaP (call me a sadomasochist), but that's why full albums should never have even been thought of. Every album ever, even the greatest, has filler...

(Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" was admittedly filler and it's painfully obvious, just a bunch of chords, LOL. I can't believe how overrated it is, disgusting and shocking how it beat every other Black Sabbath song on both GH and RB... I'd have loved to see Snowblind, Hole in the Sky, or Supernaut...)

Back on track though, had to get that off my chest, every album has crappy songs, I don't understand why we need them in the game... just take the best 9 cars songs and everybody'd be so much happier.... Like what they did with Grateful Dead, God bless them.
    edited June 2008
    Samuel346;748620 said:
    I think the point in the low price was because they were brand new songs- no one knew what to expect.

So to entice people, they had the lowered price.
    actually, I'm pretty sure they had to have a low price just so more people WOULD buy. The more ppl, the better, since it's a promotional thing mostly (I think anyway). I don't know why they just weren't free then though... I'm sure they were paid enough by the record company to chart them.
    edited June 2008
    TheKrazyKatzzz;748604 said:

I think songs like "Pain and Pleasure" and "I'm in Touch With Your World" should get their own special category... the "You low-end of the album" pack, for songs doing significantly worse than the rest of the album.
    0.o

Pain and Pleasure is a good song in my opinion, and I'm In Touch With Your World just has a fun and crazy sound that is hard to hate. My point is, if people tried downloading the whole album, they may find something they find fun and interesting. MTV2 pack sold poorly, but did it really have a chance? If unknown tracks from known bands don't get good sales, how can people be expected to download unknown tracks from an unknown band?
    edited June 2008
    Pain and Pleasure is a good song in my opinion, and I'm In Touch With Your World just has a fun and crazy sound that is hard to hate. My point is, if people tried downloading the whole album, they may find something they find fun and interesting. MTV2 pack sold poorly, but did it really have a chance? If unknown tracks from known bands don't get good sales, how can people be expected to download unknown tracks from an unknown band?

I'm not trying to degrade the songs, merely pointing out that if you removed the people who bought the entire respective album, those two tracks would possibly be below Mother Hips sales.
    edited June 2008
    TheKrazyKatzzz;748635 said:
    I'm not trying to degrade the songs, merely pointing out that if you removed the people who bought the entire respective album, those two tracks would possibly be below Mother Hips sales.
    I understand what you are saying, but I'm just trying to encourage people to try something new is all. Maybe it is a vain effort, but it's worth a (clean) shot :)
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    $1 songs sell well.

The $1 promotion is helping to push Disturbed even further along, and the $1 promotion is keeping the MTV2 pack songs away from the dreaded CH-CH-CHERRY BOMB!! label.

The full priced GWPG did the worst this week.

As always, thanks for putting this together.

I did enjoy my indie taste for this week: Bullets & Guns. Catchy little tune.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited June 2008
    Thanks so much for keeping up with this data, very interesting and I appreciate the work you are doing on this.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited June 2008
    qwertyuio;748621 said:
    [QUOTE=TheKrazyKatzzz;748604]I think songs like "Pain and Pleasure" and "I'm in Touch With Your World" should get their own special category... the "You low-end of the album" pack, for songs doing significantly worse than the rest of the album.
    [QUOTE]

First off, I like PaP (call me a sadomasochist), but that's why full albums should never have even been thought of. Every album ever, even the greatest, has filler...

(Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" was admittedly filler and it's painfully obvious, just a bunch of chords, LOL. I can't believe how overrated it is, disgusting and shocking how it beat every other Black Sabbath song on both GH and RB... I'd have loved to see Snowblind, Hole in the Sky, or Supernaut...)

Back on track though, had to get that off my chest, every album has crappy songs, I don't understand why we need them in the game... just take the best 9 cars songs and everybody'd be so much happier.... Like what they did with Grateful Dead, God bless them.
    Please allow me to disagree with you. There are albums out there that are killer from start to finish with no filler on them whatsoever.

Ones that come to mind:
    Who's Next by The Who
    Quadrophenia by The Who
    Nostradamus by Judas Priest
    Painkiller by Judas Priest
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden
    Back To The Light by Brian May
    Another World by Brian May
    London Calling by The Clash

And those are just the ones off the top of my head. The fact of the matter is that there are albums out there with completely perfect tracks on them.

Personally, I love the idea of albums, as it allows us to get deeper cuts that we wouldn't get otherwise (You can't tell me an amazing song like "Fever" or "(Take These) Chains" would've been included in a pack). This allows fans of the group to grab their favorite tunes that may not be popular ( "All Mixed Up", "Screaming For Vengeance", "Fever", "(Take These) Chains", "Dead", etc)
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited June 2008
    whofan;748802 said:
    [QUOTE=qwertyuio;748621][QUOTE=TheKrazyKatzzz;748604]I think songs like "Pain and Pleasure" and "I'm in Touch With Your World" should get their own special category... the "You low-end of the album" pack, for songs doing significantly worse than the rest of the album.

Please allow me to disagree with you. There are albums out there that are killer from start to finish with no filler on them whatsoever.

Ones that come to mind:
    Who's Next by The Who
    Quadrophenia by The Who
    Nostradamus by Judas Priest
    Painkiller by Judas Priest
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden
    Back To The Light by Brian May
    Another World by Brian May
    London Calling by The Clash

And those are just the ones off the top of my head. The fact of the matter is that there are albums out there with completely perfect tracks on them.

Personally, I love the idea of albums, as it allows us to get deeper cuts that we wouldn't get otherwise (You can't tell me an amazing song like "Fever" or "(Take These) Chains" would've been included in a pack). This allows fans of the group to grab their favorite tunes that may not be popular ( "All Mixed Up", "Screaming For Vengeance", "Fever", "(Take These) Chains", "Dead", etc)
    While I do have albums that in my opinion have no filler whatsoever, for the casual fan this idea of a "perfect album" does not exist. The hardcore Judas Priest fan (such as myself) will likely purchase every song on Painkiller but the casual fan probably will get one or two of the big tracks.
  • KrakenhedsKrakenheds Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    For the guy saying that the Disturbed songs are only selling well because they are a $1, I don't think you could be more wrong!! I would have bought all 3 at any price, believe it or not alot of people like them. There was no chance these would have been as lackluster as Motherhip/Cherry Bomb songs.

Anyway this week is no surprise to me, happy for those who like this stuff but its not for me.
  • Electric_ZenElectric_Zen Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Thank you, as always, for the Statosphere.

I did a little statistical projection based on past data. Even though this was clearly the weakest DLC week (in sales) since The Mother Hips, possibly ever, my numbers show that Harmonix sold more than 300,000 tracks across the two platforms. The newly released tracks only comprised 10.8% of their sales from last week.

So, Harmonix did over a half-million dollars in catalog sales even though they basically skipped a week in terms of new releases.

This is why Harmonix will be kicking Activision's ass. Activision tries for the shortest-term revenue boosts, discouraging instrument compatibility, not supporting DLC compatibility, forcing users to buy songs they don't want as part of a bundle, focusing on big disc releases instead of frequent DLC releases.

That works for a little while until you piss off your users and they don't come back. Harmonix engenders long-term customer satisfaction, and slowly builds a sustainable revenue juggernaut.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited June 2008
    back_blows;748858 said:
    [QUOTE=whofan;748802][QUOTE=qwertyuio;748621]

While I do have albums that in my opinion have no filler whatsoever, for the casual fan this idea of a "perfect album" does not exist. The hardcore Judas Priest fan (such as myself) will likely purchase every song on Painkiller but the casual fan probably will get one or two of the big tracks.
    You sir just highlighted why albums are being released in the first place, to appeal to the fans of said band (and to expose those adventurous enough to download full albums without being sure of what is on them).

This game is not for the mainstream alone. I understand that mainstream tracks would sell tonnes more, but they would, in my opinion, end up being bland after a while and this would exclude many great songs from the game. Albums allow the producers to pick seminal albums (all of the albums chosen so far, and even the rumoured Nevermind, have been highly influential albums and the very definition of their genre (Who's Next (AOR Rock), Screaming For Vengeances (Metal), The Cars (New Wave), Nevermind (Grunge), & Doolittle (Alternative)).

Anyways, regardless, I understand where you are coming from, but I still maintain that albums are perhaps the best idea going for the DLC. Not in terms of sales, but in terms of ensuring that high-quality music that would normally be overlooked by the masses is released to fans of said music and perhaps even new converts.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    This was a very weak week for DLC. And, yeah, the strength of back catalogue sales continues to amaze.

From the Statosphere, 180,561 new scores, which is -31% off the week of 3 June, when I started tallying the weekly scores.

Fortunate Son did manage to bury the needle this week, though. Juke Box Hero should get there in 2-3 weeks, with Ride the Lightning after that.
  • DarkEternal37DarkEternal37 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I bought all 4 and I love them. Definitely worth 1 dollar (and Maximo Park's 2). I admit, the first time I heard Girls Who Play Guitars, I didn't like it. But I listened to it three or four times before the song hit the PS3 and it grew on me so fast.

The Material song, "Moving to Seattle" the second I heard that I was pumped. I'd have bought that song for like 4 dollars. Very awesome.
  • princeofcups777princeofcups777 Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    qwertyuio;748595 said:

Cherry Bomb is not a terrible song, but it IS a terrible cover.
    edited June 2008
    Cherry Bombs are not "bad" songs, they're songs that don't sell well. I personally have a soft spot for Cherry Bomb, even though it's horribly charted (as opposed to The Mother Hips, which I think are well-charted songs that I don't enjoy listening to).
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited June 2008
    whofan;749071 said:
    [QUOTE=back_blows;748858][QUOTE=whofan;748802]
    You sir just highlighted why albums are being released in the first place, to appeal to the fans of said band (and to expose those adventurous enough to download full albums without being sure of what is on them).

This game is not for the mainstream alone. I understand that mainstream tracks would sell tonnes more, but they would, in my opinion, end up being bland after a while and this would exclude many great songs from the game. Albums allow the producers to pick seminal albums (all of the albums chosen so far, and even the rumoured Nevermind, have been highly influential albums and the very definition of their genre (Who's Next (AOR Rock), Screaming For Vengeances (Metal), The Cars (New Wave), Nevermind (Grunge), & Doolittle (Alternative)).

Anyways, regardless, I understand where you are coming from, but I still maintain that albums are perhaps the best idea going for the DLC. Not in terms of sales, but in terms of ensuring that high-quality music that would normally be overlooked by the masses is released to fans of said music and perhaps even new converts.
    I actually agree with you. Had this been another developer that was more business-oriented I'm quite sure I wouldn't seen have seen my beloved Screaming for Vengeance. I am grateful for this album but it begs the question: How far will HMX go with albums? Will they try and get an album from every influential band in the past 40 years or will they eventually settle for the heavy hitters? My guess is that influential music (i.e. Number of the Beast, Machine head) will override the huge albums that were less influential.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited June 2008
    back_blows;749278 said:
    [QUOTE=whofan;749071][QUOTE=back_blows;748858]

I actually agree with you. Had this been another developer that was more business-oriented I'm quite sure I wouldn't seen have seen my beloved Screaming for Vengeance. I am grateful for this album but it begs the question: How far will HMX go with albums? Will they try and get an album from every influential band in the past 40 years or will they eventually settle for the heavy hitters? My guess is that influential music (i.e. Number of the Beast, Machine head) will override the huge albums that were less influential.
    That is a very good question. Will Harmonix stick with the "Heavy Hitters" (as you so eloquently put it) like "The Number of the Beast", "Machine Head", "A Night At The Opera", "The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars" or "London Calling", or will they go for the more fan-favorite/obscure titles like "Quadrophenia", "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", "Painkiller", "The Miracle", or "Aladdin Sane"?

Only time will tell.
  • darlenerules14darlenerules14 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Jorm;749110 said:
    This was a very weak week for DLC. And, yeah, the strength of back catalogue sales continues to amaze.

From the Statosphere, 180,561 new scores, which is -31% off the week of 3 June, when I started tallying the weekly scores.

Fortunate Son did manage to bury the needle this week, though. Juke Box Hero should get there in 2-3 weeks, with Ride the Lightning after that.
    need to keep in mind that we don't know how well the 100,000+ songs sold this week; and there are more of them.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    darlenerules14;749355 said:
    need to keep in mind that we don't know how well the 100,000+ songs sold this week; and there are more of them.
    Sure, we all know these are 'fuzzy' numbers. By 3 June, there were 10 songs that buried the needle, now there are 12. The same thing could be said about those 10 songs, so relatively speaking it all washes out in the end.

The statement stands, this was a weak week for DLC- not a comment on the quality of the music itself, just in number of new scores posted.