"OFFICIAL" Comic Book Discussion

edited July 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
Rather than continue to flood the Weekly Rock Blog thread this week I took it upon myself to open up a comic book discussion thread. There's been a lot of talk about comics on the forums lately, along with the superhero blockbuster movies this summer, so this may help as a condensed location for all of those (aka my) ramblings.

Along those lines, I've been lending HMXJohnlok quite a bit of stuff lately and he's taking to comics like a duck to water. At first he had all sorts of trouble (reading them right to left, speaking the text in the word balloons aloud, crying when super villains showed up, etc) but now he's plugging right along. I'm so proud of him. Today I lent him Batman Year One, and was so excited to give it to him I sat down and re read it right after pulling it off my bookshelf. It doesn't get much better than Batman.

Comments

• hmxgrichhmxgrich Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Hey! I work at Harmonix and read comics too! I fully endorse this thread.
  • AnarchyintheUKAnarchyintheUK Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    HMXTheMax;752069 said:
    Hey! I work at Harmonix and read comics too! I fully endorse this thread.
    I don't work at Harmonix but I do read comics. Massive fan of the X-Men.
    edited June 2008
    AnarchyintheUK;752080 said:
    I don't work at Harmonix but I do read comics. Massive fan of the X-Men.
    What X-men stuff do you like? Fan of the Grant Morrison run?
  • edited June 2008
    Two comics that I've been following and really like are The Walking Dead and The Boys.

I suggest every check those out.
    edited June 2008
    HMXTheMax;752121 said:
    What X-men stuff do you like? Fan of the Grant Morrison run?
    I do like some of the Grant Morrison stuff but its sort of hard to get hold of older comic books here in Britain so most of my X Men lovings is from the various cartoon series on TV and the films.
    edited June 2008
    x-men: first class is my favorite of the current x-men stuff they're doing. Solid fun.
  • merryannmerryann Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I'm not much of a comic book reader...
    I admittedly have a hard time reading those suckers. Don't get me started on those mangas my sister has... err wait, those aren't comic books are they?
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited June 2008
    When I did still read comics I liked the Chaos brand best. Evil Ernie,Lady Death,Smiley the Pyschotic Button and all those other ones.
    edited June 2008
    HMXTheMax;752551 said:
    x-men: first class is my favorite of the current x-men stuff they're doing. Solid fun.
    Actually looking through my very small X Men comics collection its only about 20 comics big, and about 18 of those are from the Grant Morrison years.
  • edited June 2008
    I used to be a big comic fan when I was younger, but I have to admit I only pick up the odd issue these days. The last X-Men comics I got was the Age of Apocalypse run (which was fantastic).

A friend of mine lent me the first Ultimate Spider-man TBP though, and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Mark Bagley pencilled Spidey around the time when I quit reading it, so the art style was nice and familiar... but what I liked most is how they added some fresh elements to the reboot while staying true to the spirit of the original (they even hadd the Enforcers as villains, awesome). The only thing I didn't like was the Green Goblin reimagining.

My first priority, however, is getting all issues of the Sandman series. I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman's novels and tv work, and have started on buying the Sandman collected edition books. They're expensive (for comics), though, so I'm taking my time with it.
  • edited June 2008
    Anybody heard rumors of the upcoming Thor movie?
  • SilentCapybaraSilentCapybara Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    I enjoyed the original run of Captain America, but now that he has passed, the whole story just feels out of place. But I do like Alex Ross. (Skrulls = Marketing scheme.) They are appearing in all forms of media, and you just are skeptical of every comic book character. What ever happened to reading for enjoyment instead of trying to find who is a skrull? Just another way to make a buck and shove it down people's throats. Some like it, I don't. That's my two cents.
  • frostywolffrostywolf Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Good thread idea, HMXHenry! Batman: Year One is amazing, so you'll have to let us know what Johnlok thinks of it when he finishes it!

I used to collect comics quite a bit as a kid but the comic shop I used to go to closed down so I've kind of stopped after that, occassionally picking up a graphic novel or TPB here and there, but I've been getting back into them for a while now, though I haven't bought any new issues yet (just back issues so far).

As a kid, I collected a lot of Batman and occassional Spider-Man. Mainly, I remember owning a lot of issues from the Knightfall story arc and some of the Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle stuff with Anarky, Zsasz, Cornelius Stirk and other random villains I wasn't familiar with at all back then.

Recently, I just finished reading Batman: Dark Detective and I'm reading Essential X-Men, Vol. 2 kind of off and on again. I've also been trying to get some more Suicide Squad back issues and I've been checking out John Ostrander & Tom Mandrake's Martian Manhunter series since I liked Ostrander's work on Suicide Squad and I like the Martian Manhunter in other stuff I've come across him in.

I'm currently debating whether or not to start picking up Grant Morrison's current Batman story arc since I hated Arkham Asylum and it'll probably be collected in Trade Paperback form in no time, but I hear a lot of good things and I'm kind of curious how it is.
  • KampfVereinKampfVerein Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Might I suggest Watchmen for sophistication and anything starring Deadpool for absurd hilarity?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2008
    Henry get John to read Preacher and Transmetropolitan if you can.

Those are hands down some of the finest stories ever put to paper in the medium.

Just make sure he's not easily offended, because some of the material in those two stories could make a sailor blush, and possibly die of shock ;)

Also on the Deadpool front I heartily recommend tracking down the Gail Simone issues from five years or so. They were the funniest the book has ever been IMO.

Other great stories include :

Walking Dead - My absolute favorite book on the market right now. The story is just so brutally powerful, and the characters are so likeable, that when bad things happen(and they do) it hits you in the gut like a ton of bricks.

Hitman

Sandman

Peter David's ENTIRE Incredible Hulk run. - He redifined the Hulk for an entire generation. This is THE definitive run on the Hulk, and the book has never managed to regain the heights it soared during David's run.

Warren Ellis' Stormwatch then the Authority - The story that changed comic writing and presentation for the 21st century. Ellis introduced 'wide-screen' storytelling with this book, and comics have never been the same since.

Ultimate Spider-man - THE BEST spider-man book on the market today. hell it might be the best super hero book on the market today. If you haven't given it a chance, track down the first trade. Fantastic story telling, that helped revitalize the entire genre in the early part of the decade.

The Ultimates - The natural evolution of warren ellis' widescreen authority. The action just jumps off the page at you, and seeing the Hulk try to eat Freddie Prinze Jr is worth the price of admission alone :) Stop after volume 2 however. The current volume 3 by a new creative team is bad. I'm talking Pimp my ride on the 360 bad.

Bendis' Daredevil - Not since Frank Miller has a writer made such a mark on the mythos of Daredevil. Some are calling Bendis' epic run even greater than Miller's. Time will tell, but in the mean time, pick it up and decide for yourself.

Nextwave- This the most fun you can have with your pants on ;)

There are plenty more, but this should get him (and any other comic curious folks in the audience) started :D
    edited June 2008
    mercuryshadow09;753471 said:
    Anybody heard rumors of the upcoming Thor movie?
    I haven't heard much at all about the upcoming Thor movie so I probably haven't heard the rumors. What are these rumors you speak of?
  • SilentCapybaraSilentCapybara Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    I also recommend:

Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead

Mat Johnson's Incognegro
  • BlackbombsBlackbombs Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Simpsons Comics, Futurama, and all sorts of Manga FTW.
    edited June 2008
    As far as recommendations go, The Dark Knight Returns is essential. It doesn't top Batman: Year One, imo, but it's still classic.
  • Fatal_TFatal_T Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I collected mostly DC years and years ago, in high school, right around the Crisis on Infinite Earths. I still have a set of those somewhere, as mint as the day I bought them. Maybe I should dig those up sometime.

I've always been a fan of Superman, but I liked a lot of the "lower tier" heroes so to speak - Dr. Fate, Firestorm, and Red Tornado.

I gave Marvel a little love, but DC was always my favorite (I did really enjoy Secret Wars, tho).

Closest I've been to comics lately is watching the Justice League/JL Unlimited Cartoons while they were on TV, and then collecting the DVDs. That and playing a load of Freedom Force (which I still enjoy) - best comic-inspired game ever (especially when you have as many custom heroes as I do!)!

I still like to pick up graphic novels now and then. "Killing Joke" was definitely the best comic I've ever read. I have the Secret Wars compiliation and the Crisis compilation - are there any more worth getting out there? I'd love to find a JLA/Avengers compilation - the second issue of that was a blast to read (Superman FTW!!!!).
  • edited June 2008
    If you're a Marvel and/or a Neil Gaiman fan, 1602 is also well worth checking out.
    Forget the Sam Jackson wannabe, this book has the coolest incarnation of Nick Fury ever written...
  • Fatal_TFatal_T Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Der_Lex;754311 said:
    If you're a Marvel and/or a Neil Gaiman fan, 1602 is also well worth checking out.
    Forget the Sam Jackson wannabe, this book has the coolest incarnation of Nick Fury ever written...
    Cooler than David Hasselhoff? NO WAY.
  • edited June 2008
    Fatal_T;754326 said:
    Cooler than David Hasselhoff? NO WAY.
    David Hasslehoff wasn't a 'written' Nick Fury. Hell, he didn't even have a written script...he ad-libbed the entire movie with the power of pure awesome and cheeseburgers.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Who do you guys think is the lamest villain?

I have to say the Trapster(Paste Pot Pete). I cannot take him seriously. Every time I see him, I just laugh because his 'ability' is just using a glue gun.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited June 2008
    The Hypno Hustler.

Seriously go look him up.

Then check out Big wheel, Rocket Racer, Swarm, and the Grizzly.

The 70's were TERRIBLE times to be a villain ;)
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited June 2008
    My God... It almost makes me glad I never read too much into Spider-Man, haha. Swarm is my favorite with his hilariously stupid concept. Nazi bugs? Either they don't take themselves seriously or ran out of ideas, haha.

On the other hand, at least those villains have more interesting abilities than glue, haha.
    edited June 2008
    Hungryfreak;754424 said:
    Who do you guys think is the lamest villain?

I have to say the Trapster(Paste Pot Pete). I cannot take him seriously. Every time I see him, I just laugh because his 'ability' is just using a glue gun.
    KITE-MAN!!!
  • Mikey803Mikey803 Headliner
    edited June 2008
    who do you like better...

Iron Man or War Machine...
  • mysticnejimysticneji Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I'm not really a big fan of either Iron Man or War Machine but I'm going to have to go with Iron Man on this one. Mostly because I know more about him.
  • edited June 2008
    Iron Man...War Machine always seemed to belong to the 'OMG the moar gunz the cooler!' school of character creation to me. Then again, I don't know the character that well.

I'd also like to add that the Ultimate version of the Iron Man armor is ghastly...one of the worst reimaginings I've seen.