Is it "classic" rock?

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited June 2008 in History of Rock
Ok, now I have had arguements with people before, but I figured I'd get this settled here with people who actually know stuff.

When a "classic" rock band (God, I hate that term, anyways), releases a new album now (ie. AC/DC supposed to be releasing their new album late this year) is it "new" rock or "classic" rock.

I have heard it both ways, in one case its new cuz its new material written in today's times and released in this decade, but its an older band, so its gotta be classic.

and to go into another discussion, what about bands like the RHCP that have been playing since the early 80s and release a new album that is immediately "new" rock???

Comments

• Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Technically no, but it would probably get played on classic rock radio anyways.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Classic Rock is a radio format, not a genre.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Rockbandfan23467;765555 said:
    Classic Rock is a radio format, not a genre.
    That's not what the thread's about. =|
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    I wonder if the guy that coined the term "classic" rock realized that some of the groups might still be around making music 30 years later?? I have a problem with it every time I go to put something new in my c.d. collection.
    Johnny Rivers should be rock, but it's pretty old so do I move him in with the rest of my oldies stuff now?? Where does Jim Croce and Roy Orbison go??

Some of the Southern Rock groups I like could be considered classic rock too.

It's too complicated. Don't think there's an easy answer.
  • xerichx07xerichx07 Banned
    edited June 2008
    Maybe. If it's the same style they've always played, then yes it is. If not, duh.
  • RochallorRochallor Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    My belief is that microgenres were invented by Satan to torment the living. It doesn't matter what it's called; what matters is if you like or or not. And the label "classic rock" is especially bad. It's generally used by snobs to indicate the music they think is good rather than any musical criteria, similar to people labeling any new metal bands they don't like "nu-metal."
  • CosmaCosma Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    anything released probably 15+ yrs ago is considered classic rock. Genre doesn't matter. It's just a radio ploy to try to appeal to as large an audience as possible. To me Rock is Rock. Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Rush, Lynyrd Skynyrd, SRV, whatever...
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited June 2008
    im not asking about genre

im asking that if an older band releases a new album, is it a "classic rock" album or is it "modern rock"
  • OldFogeyOldFogey Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;793496 said:

im asking that if an older band releases a new album, is it a "classic rock" album or is it "modern rock"
    Not sure -- acid test is whether a classic rock radio station plays it. :D
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    OldFogey;793501 said:
    Not sure -- acid test is whether a classic rock radio station plays it. :D
    When the Scorpions released their new album my local classic rock station played it. So I guess if an older band releases a new album it becomes an instant classic.....rock album.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    As the target demograpic gets older what gets played on classic rock and what is considered classic rock will change. When I was 16, 17, on the local classic rock stations it was the Stones, Beatles, CCR, Led Zep, etc. Now most of those groups are on the "oldies" stations.

Now if I tune it in I'll still get some Led Zep but it's mixed in with AC/DC, Ozzy, Sabbath, etc. To the generation of 40 somethings that stuff is classic rock. At some point in time Nirvana, Pearl Jam Green Day etc will find their way into the classic rock stations playlist I'm sure.

So when the new AC/DC hits I'm sure some rock stations will add the lead off single but you can be sure it will also end up on the classic rock stations as well as chances are thats where most of AC/DC's will be listening.
  • MrMetal1091MrMetal1091 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    a21schizoidman;793496 said:

the album it's self i believe is considered just a rock album, their older stuff is considered "classic" Rock

this isn't a fact or anything its just my opinion (this is the problem with sub genres!)
    edited June 2008
    polishdog90;794310 said:
    When the Scorpions released their new album my local classic rock station played it. So I guess if an older band releases a new album it becomes an instant classic.....rock album.
    AxlVanHagar;794487 said:
    As the target demograpic gets older what gets played on classic rock and what is considered classic rock will change. When I was 16, 17, on the local classic rock stations it was the Stones, Beatles, CCR, Led Zep, etc. Now most of those groups are on the "oldies" stations.

Now if I tune it in I'll still get some Led Zep but it's mixed in with AC/DC, Ozzy, Sabbath, etc. To the generation of 40 somethings that stuff is classic rock. At some point in time Nirvana, Pearl Jam Green Day etc will find their way into the classic rock stations playlist I'm sure.

So when the new AC/DC hits I'm sure some rock stations will add the lead off single but you can be sure it will also end up on the classic rock stations as well as chances are thats where most of AC/DC's will be listening.
    I think these comments are right on. Classic Rock is a label radio stations use to attract a certain audience, and as Axl notes that target audience changes over time. It's pretty much targeted at a certain demographic -- probably somewhere in the 35-50 age range, I don't know the exact range. And the assumption would probably be that people in that range like certain groups, so if those groups put out new stuff, the people in the target demographic would want to hear those songs, too.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited June 2008
    That's interesting, so will bands such as Black Sabbath and ACDC will drop into the oldies radio stations and eventually taken out completely?
    edited June 2008
    JukeBoxHero;796016 said:
    That's interesting, so will bands such as Black Sabbath and ACDC will drop into the oldies radio stations and eventually taken out completely?
    Why would that mean they are taken out completely?

This is all about modern radio -- how it fragments the marketplace and then targets specific demographics. So classic rock is really a demographic. But songs can definitely attract multiple demographics. So I think those bands will be on hard rock radio formats as well as classic rock formats.

besides -- what's most likely to fade away completely is radio, at least in the sense of pre-programmed stuff that makes you listen to what the programmers choose. Radio will probably go before those bands do.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited June 2008
    OldFogey;796290 said:
    Why would that mean they are taken out completely?

This is all about modern radio -- how it fragments the marketplace and then targets specific demographics. So classic rock is really a demographic. But songs can definitely attract multiple demographics. So I think those bands will be on hard rock radio formats as well as classic rock formats.

besides -- what's most likely to fade away completely is radio, at least in the sense of pre-programmed stuff that makes you listen to what the programmers choose. Radio will probably go before those bands do.
    Yeah, I forgot to keep other factors in mind so I'll just go back to lurking until Tuesday...
  • Deadman2112Deadman2112 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    I would not call it classic rock as I have never considered AC/DC classic rock
    so I would say no it's new rock

and as far as what radio station will play it...
    well the only response I can come up with for that is...
    who listens to the radio anymore?

I personally have a 60 gig mp3 player and have over 20,000 songs D/L into it I stopped listening to the radio for at least 2 years now
    simply because all they do is promote the top sellers that the record labels have told them to play and then you have to listen to them 50 times a day
    (I do not now nor will I ever support censorship)
    honestly if I'm going to listen to a song over and over it will be one that I choose to listen to not the one that they have picked for me
    radio is a thing of the past

DeaD
  • polishdog90polishdog90 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Deadman2112;796395 said:
    I would not call it classic rock as I have never considered AC/DC classic rock
    so I would say no it's new rock

and as far as what radio station will play it...
    well the only response I can come up with for that is...
    who listens to the radio anymore?

I personally have a 60 gig mp3 player and have over 20,000 songs D/L into it I stopped listening to the radio for at least 2 years now
    simply because all they do is promote the top sellers that the record labels have told them to play and then you have to listen to them 50 times a day
    (I do not now nor will I ever support censorship)
    honestly if I'm going to listen to a song over and over it will be one that I choose to listen to not the one that they have picked for me
    radio is a thing of the past

DeaD
    I still listen to the radio. The radio (for me at least) is a good way to find new bands I like. And I don't mean new new bands (New stations do play the same stuff over and over). I mean bands that were around in the 50s 60s or 70s that I haven't heard of yet. I don't think that stations that play older music work the same way as newer stations. They don't have to play the top charting songs over and over. And also its always more exciting when they play a song on the radio that you really like. When you choose it it's cool, but when someone else chooses a song you like its awesome. That might be dumb logic, but that's the way I've always felt.

And my local classic rock station is starting to get boring. They only play a few songs for some bands. Like the only song I have heard from Dire Straights is Money For Nothing and the only Jethro Tull song they ever play is AquaLung. They never get into the deeper tracks by bands and I end up having to hear You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC daily. I've actually started listening to the "oldies" station more now because I don't know the bands there as much. I've learned almost all of the bands the classic rock station plays, but the oldies station I learn stuff every time I listen.

And another reason I like listening to the radio is talk radio. There is a really funny program that runs from like 2-6 in Seattle and I love to listen to it going to and from school.

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot. I have a local electronic station run by college students that is amazing on weekend nights. They do a thing called The Vortex where they have a live DJ come in and play live techno and it's always REALLY good. It's awesome driving around on Friday nights pumping the techno.