Update on Warranty 6/26/08

edited October 2008 in Announcements
***UPDATE TO WARRANTY PROGRAM – EA CUSTOMER SERVICE TO IMPLEMENT ON MONDAY, JUNE 30th***

JUNE 26, 2008: Great news! For a limited time only, we are honoring warranty requests past the official 60-day limit.

Our warranty policy since Rock Band’s launch in November has been to require proof of purchase within 60 days of the warranty claim. However, we decided (on our own and without any obligation) to allow our customers to take advantage of the EA warranty program even if they didn't have a receipt and even if they sent it to us after the 60-day period had expired. We did this to make sure that our customers had the best experience possible with Rock Band.

Over seven months later, we decided to no longer make exceptions to our warranty program. The reasons for this were (1) we have a great deal of confidence in our peripherals, (2) we believe we have a great warranty program in place and (3) we found that a large number of the reported problems--especially those after the 60 day period--were due to mistreatment of the equipment.

Many of you out there felt that the change regarding enforcement of our policy had come without enough notice and some of you had legitimate warranty claims that were impacted by our decision.

Harmonix and MTV Games have always, and will always, remain open to fan feedback about your experience with Rock Band. This feedback is crucial to our development, as it allows us to provide you with the ultimate rock experience and meet your needs as members of the Rock Band community. Thanks to your feedback, we have decided to extend our previous practice of not requiring a proof of purchase until October 1. 2008. This change will go into effect Monday, June 30th, 2008.

However, effective October 1, 2008, any customers who wish to take advantage of our warranty program will need to (1) provide a receipt and (2) report defects within the 60-day period. Please note that any products that have been misused, modded in any way or were broken or defective due to excessive wear and tear are not covered under the warranty at all and all other terms and conditions of the warranty program will be enforced. We hope that, with this advanced notice, you be well prepared for this change in practice as the fall nears. In the meantime, rock on!

As always, to take advantage of our warranty program please contact EA’s Customer Support at http://support.ea.com/rockband

Comments

• Samuel346Samuel346 Headliner
    edited June 2008
    This is a great move, seriously. I respect that you're changing your program but am glad that you're giving a notice. Thanks guys. :)
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited June 2008
    This is great news. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go beat on my drum set. :p
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    You have got to be kidding me. I never returned any equipement, and last week I had a cracked pad. I was at 70 days, so the warranty was over. I spent five hours of my time repairing them with epoxy and dry wall tape, and now it's sort of okay, but technically I voided the warranty by messing with the pads.

Now you're telling me I could actually RMA my drum kit if I left it busted???? I sure hope they won't give me grief for the DIY repair because this is the most irritating experience I've had with any product I've ever bought.
  • ShiftyPimpShiftyPimp Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    hmxsean;783148 said:
    ***UPDATE TO WARRANTY PROGRAM – EA CUSTOMER SERVICE TO IMPLEMENT ON MONDAY, JUNE 30th***

Over seven months later, we decided to no longer make exceptions to our warranty program. The reasons for this were (1) we have a great deal of confidence in our peripherals,

http://support.ea.com/rockband
    LMAO!!!!!!
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Thank you so much! I didn't have any problems with this but I know many people did.
  • Samuel346Samuel346 Headliner
    edited June 2008
    elfreako;783167 said:
    You have got to be kidding me. I never returned any equipement, and last week I had a cracked pad. I was at 70 days, so the warranty was over. I spent five hours of my time repairing them with epoxy and dry wall tape, and now it's sort of okay, but technically I voided the warranty by messing with the pads.

Now you're telling me I could actually RMA my drum kit if I left it busted???? I sure hope they won't give me grief for the DIY repair because this is the most irritating experience I've had with any product I've ever bought.
    I'm sure if you explained that in a kind and concise matter, calmly, it would be dealt with accordingly. (I don't know why my last word was cut off like that)
    edited June 2008
    Samuel346;783171 said:
    I'm sure if you explained that in a kind and concise matter, calmly, it would be dealt with co
    I am breathing deeply at this very moment in an attempt to regain my legendary diplomatic skills and patience.
  • Sgt PepperSgt Pepper Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Great news, guys. I was surprised that a peripheral could be RMA'd past the initial 60-day warranty (until recently), so I, personally, had no problem when the hammer came down. After all, you'd been letting us return them for months after. But this is still a nice move. Essentially, you've extended the 60-day to 1 year.

Any time someone complains that HMX doesn't listen to the people should be linked to this thread. Kudos, HMX. Excellent job.
  • rockbandrocker123321rockbandrocker123321 Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    YES!!!
    Thnaks guys!

Will this include RMA on the disc it self as well?
    My disc is not reading on my xbox and my xbox reads other discs. I have ALWAYS taken EXTREME care with my discs. If my friedn touches them Ima open a can off woop ass on them! lol
  • C-WeinerC-Weiner Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Does this mean I can warranty my drum pedal?
  • edited June 2008
    elfreako;783167 said:

I am not sure. You should contact EA and be very explicit about your situation and what happened. That would be my suggestion.
    rockbandrocker123321;783197 said:
    YES!!!
    Thnaks guys!

Will this include RMA on the disc it self as well?
    My disc is not reading on my xbox and my xbox reads other discs. I have ALWAYS taken EXTREME care with my discs. If my friedn touches them Ima open a can off woop ass on them! lol

I am not sure if this also covers the disc, but EA's customer service should be able to tell you. If the game isn't reading anymore but it used to it is probably not so much the disc or else it wouldn't have worked at ANY point.
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Good work, Harmonix. This is just one of the reasons I love you.
  • JTRoberts2JTRoberts2 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    pmpboarder;783218 said:
    Good work, Harmonix. This is just one of the reasons I love you.
    Amen, this is great.

I can finally get my wireless strat fixed.

I stupidly threw away the reciept when I got home thinking "Oh yeah, I dont have anything to worry about, first, this controller will work perfectly, no doubt, secondly, even if it doesnt, I can still send it in to EA, what a great program".

Then, I found that my controller sucked batteries. The "Fourth player" light is ALWAYS on, even when I'm signed in as the first player. I also found that the "Effects bar" only goes up one effect, even though i moved it all four spots. Also, the fret buttons are incredibly clicky and sometimes unresponsive.

I cant wait till monday!

Thanks Harmonix!
  • MultiBeastMultiBeast Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    No way! Tomorrow is was going to buy some hardware and drill holes into my foot pedal to try and repair it. I guess I can just send it in now.
  • MicsktafaMicsktafa Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Wow! They actually listened!
    edited June 2008
    I have just contacted EA. I don't know if this is going to go wondefully well, or if we're in for a saga, but I thought I would share my experience.

I was going to quote what I sent them, but at this time it doesn't seem right, or fair. Hopefully I'll have some good news tomorow.
  • dady5000dady5000 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Awesome! Thank You!

This is especially good since my drum pedal has recently cracked.

(TIP: Make RB2's Drum Pedal out of METAL or similarly hard material, please!)
  • LambtorLambtor Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    awesome! announced 2 days after i decided to take matters into my own hands and glue the cracked blue and yellow drum pads of my set.

i'll probably be filling out a form for the bass pedal that snapped in half.
  • edited June 2008
    elfreako;783323 said:
    I have just contacted EA. I don't know if this is going to go wondefully well, or if we're in for a saga, but I thought I would share my experience.

I was going to quote what I sent them, but at this time it doesn't seem right, or fair. Hopefully I'll have some good news tomorow.
    Please note that this doesn't go into effect until Monday.
    edited June 2008
    hmxsean;783341 said:
    Please note that this doesn't go into effect until Monday.
    I know, I have not filled a request yet, but I wrote to their support staff directly to get a clear answer upfront.

Looks like Lambtor is in the same boat as I am.

The irony is I hurried up to fix the pads so I could play Pixies tonight. So it's Black Francis' fault really.
  • Electric_ZenElectric_Zen Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Harmonix takes such a pro-consumer approach that it's almost ridiculous. Thank God that over the long term this approach to doing business tends to reap very good financial rewards.
  • Ryder35Ryder35 Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Great service guys, even if I can't take advantage of it since I imorted my copy to the UK. My only concern is the statement about missuse, what would you define as being missuse of drum pads? These ore objects that have to be repeatedly hit with sticks. What about missuse of a plastic pedal that has to be stamped on repeatedly?

Not having a go here, more of a polite clarification requested ;)
    edited June 2008
    Electric_Zen;783373 said:
    Harmonix takes such a pro-consumer approach that it's almost ridiculous. Thank God that over the long term this approach to doing business tends to reap very good financial rewards.
    I'm going to have to agree. They had the guitar compatibility patch ready and got blocked by the other guys, and now this. I'm pretty sure it's HMX that pressured EA to keep the customers happy, especially with a direct competitor coming into the picture.

I have been very unlucky with the timing of my drum failure though. Hopefully EA will be as customer focused as the HMX folks.
  • Goatman...Goatman... Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Great news thanx HMX.

I guess this means RB2 is slated to ship this fall with new (improved) peripherals! Alright, maybe I am reading a little to much into this. Or am I?
  • KoennKoenn Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Guys, this is truly amazing news. My pedal cracked right around the time that the warranty extension was removed, and so it's great to know that I'll be able to RMA it one more time before I'm able to buy all the stuff needed to mod my Roland V-drum kit to work with RB. Thanks a ton, Harmonix!
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited June 2008
    Great, I can finally send in my bad mic and drums. Thanks guys, you saved me a lot of cash. XD
  • edited June 2008
    Lady Siara;783416 said:
    Great, I can finally send in my bad mic and drums. Thanks guys, you saved me a lot of cash. XD
    Good thing too, if Lady Siara isn't happy, NO ONE is happy.
  • billmcdougalbillmcdougal Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    This is pretty good news. I am one of the ones that wasn't at all bothered by the fact that the warranty period started to be enforced, but was pretty annoyed by the fact that there was no warning.

I'm wondering if I should send my stuff in. My drum set seems fine, but it is a launch E/L and from what I've read on these forums, E/L are quite inferior to newer models. Also, from experience I agree that E/L sets cannot use sound dampening materials without a huge loss of sensitivity.

So should I send my drums back or is that wrong since they're not technically broken?
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited June 2008
    Great Move. No my friend can send in his Guitars to get them fixed!
  • fatcity42fatcity42 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will resume DL'ing in the hope that RB2 or GH:WT drum pedal will be compatible so if I break the pedal after the OCT date I have a back up.

On a side note, HMX needs to make a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more durable pedal and a little more durable drum pad to solve these problems. Also, being able to buy a drum pedal seperately would be awesome so I could buy an extra and mod it and not have to worry about voiding the warranty. I have however got a stick-on metal re-enforcer for the drum pedal that did help a little but did not keep the pedal from breaking. It would be nice to get something that wouldn't break and ESPECIALLY NICE TO GET SOMETHING FROM HMX THAT DIDN'T BREAK.
This discussion has been closed.