Rock Band 2 Development Rock Blog!!!

edited October 2008 in Announcements
In addition to the regular Rock Blogs provided by the HMX Community Team, the Lead Designer for RB2 (hmxspraynwipe aka Dan T) will be popping in to bring you some cool behind-the-scenes info on the development process for the upcoming sequel to Rock Band. You can check out his first Rock Band 2 related blog post below.

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/hmxspraynwipe/365708

Dan will be dropping all sorts of info, and spinning many colorful yarns. So gather 'round the fire and settle in for the first installment of Dan T's Rock Band 2 Development Blog.

8/8/08 edit:
CLICK HERE FOR DAN'S MOST RECENT BLOG

Comments

• AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Why don't we keep the PS3 disappointment (which I share) in the big thread in the main forum?

I wasn't around during the run up to launch (although I did get RB at launch, I just never checked out the site before then) so I'm excited to be here this time around in the run-up to launch.

Also, in all of the news today, the biggest is that Rock Band being a "platform" is indeed a serious thing. I never doubted it (for various reasons) but it is nice to have the confirmation. Rock Band 2 purchasers will be able to access something north of ... who knows, 300 songs at launch? Depending on how many RB2 comes with and how much DLC has been released up to that point. Even more important, DLC licensees will have a HUGE install base to sell DLC to, which will be important in drawing the bigger acts.

Finally, who wants to bet there will be some big high-profile album releases that are timed with the launch? That would be a nice way to salve the bruised feelings of us PS3 owners for sure...
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Apples;796074 said:
    If you check his profile "Back in Black" by AC/DC is his favorite song listed... CONFIRMED FOR RB2 ZOMGZ! ;)
    I was gonna post that but you beat me to it...lol
  • BigMonkEBigMonkE Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Finally! Now I can finally say **** you to GH:WT, cause I'm just gonna wait for RB2!
  • JedikntJediknt Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    QueensoftheStoneAge;796273 said:
    "Naturally, all of your purchased Rock Band DLC will work in Rock Band 2"

That's the best feature for RB2. Here's hoping the new drum kit will compete/be better than GHWT's.

EDIT: Just read Sean's announcement. SEPTEMBER?! Holy ****! This will hurt GHWT's momentum, thats for sure. Can't wait for the major news at E3!!!

So it looks like Online BWT is coming, and a massive setlist. Shoot, I might just buy a whole new bundle since the guitar looks good and we'll get a better drumkit. I'll just give my old one to a friend or keep it if we can get 2 player drum duels. It's great to have a job. :)

That was exactly my idea im giving my gf and her brother my old stuff so we can quickplay online
  • JedikntJediknt Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    BigMonkE;796845 said:
    Finally! Now I can finally say **** you to GH:WT, cause I'm just gonna wait for RB2!
    Only thing keeping me with getting both GHWT and RB2 is Linkin Park, so Hmx please save me some money by putting LP in RB2 :P

http://www.petitiononline.com/lprbm2m/petition.html
  • mysticnejimysticneji Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Gatorguy91;796175 said:
    Can you just tell us ONE song? I'm very dissapointed that NO songs were announced.
    I was pretty sure it was said a month or two ago that Testament was going to have two songs in RB2. Souls of Black and Electric Crown. I was sure this was stated on Testaments website. I will see if I can find the thread about this.

EDIT: OK found it Testament in Rock Band
  • drag_racerdrag_racer Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    One thing they could do for us PS3 users is since they have a 25gb limit (which they probably aren't coming close to), is put all the RB1 disc songs on the RB2 disc.
  • BAzombieBAzombie Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    legaliyz;796651 said:
    Can someone copy the text of the blog and paste it in this forum? That page will not open for me :(

Hi rockband.com!

My name is Dan Teasdale, and I'm the lead designer on Rock Band 2. Along with Sylvain Dubrofsky (senior designer) and Casey Malone (designer), we're the design team that's slaving over a hot keyboard to get Rock Band 2 into your hands very soon.

Needless to say, we're really excited that we can finally talk about Rock Band 2. It's a true expansion of the platform, and a realisation of our goals to produce the most authentic band experience available.

A lot of the changes that we've been working on are directly influenced by the wish list that you have all been posting to. As well as improving everything in Rock Band that we felt could be improved, we've introduced some exciting features that'll have people playing as bands with their music collection in fun and new ways. I'll be talking about these over the next few weeks.

Naturally, all of your purchased Rock Band DLC will work in Rock Band 2, and all of your Rock Band instruments will still work (although you might want to buy the new instruments anyway when you see our improvements). We are totally committed to ensuring that Rock Band is a music platform that you can enjoy with friends for years to come, and not just another music game.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to be talking about life during development of RB2, as well as revealing some of the details to RB2 that get glossed over in press previews. If you have anything specifically that you have questions about, please post in the comments! I can't promise I'll be able to get my answers past the kind and friendly PR and Community team, but I'll do my best!

-DanT
  • arsenal4evaarsenal4eva Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Does anyone know if the songs from the main setlist of RB1 will be playable in RB2? Because I really like the RB setlist, and it would be a shame not to be able to play them when the sequel comes out.
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
  • KoennKoenn Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    arsenal4eva;797302 said:
    Does anyone know if the songs from the main setlist of RB1 will be playable in RB2? Because I really like the RB setlist, and it would be a shame not to be able to play them when the sequel comes out.
    That is the question today, isn't it? :P I'm sure we'll find out more by E3 at the latest, it would be really nice to somehow be able to play all of the content from RB1 with RB2's new features and be able to play setlists of RB1 songs and RB2 songs combined. We'll see...
  • doomed26doomed26 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    I'm disappointed about the unknown release date of Rock Band 2 for the PS3, but I'm still interested about what the new instruments will look like...
  • XeRo133XeRo133 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    so how long is this exclusive time that one better be anwsered quick, 4 months or some crap like in europe? or one month? a year? im fine with a one month thing
  • RBX28RBX28 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    :confused: i know they announced that previously downloaded dlc will be compatible with rb2 but i was wondering if my old scores will transfer to rb2. it would be a hardcore bummer if my gold stars reset. :D
    PS will i still be a platinum artist and does my character carry over?
  • FleskefinnFleskefinn Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    So is Rock Band 2 coming out before or after Rock Band 1 in Norway? Are we ever getting to play the game at all? This waiting time is getting absurd.
  • The ManimalThe Manimal Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    I only have one request for Rock band 2. Instead of just bass guitar can you also be able to choose from rhythm guitarist. It would caust alot of song requests from people to think hard if the song they request has bass in it or not and it would expand your searches for varied songs.
  • goaliejack13goaliejack13 Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    BigMonkE;796845 said:
    RB2 is coming out before GH:WT
    how much later for PS3 btw?
  • mysticnejimysticneji Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    goaliejack13;798419 said:
    RB2 is coming out before GH:WT
    how much later for PS3 btw?
    I keep seeing posts saying about 2 to 3 weeks after the 360 version is released. So it's not that long of a wait.
  • Vosty3Vosty3 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    Was very excited about GH 4 world tour getting instruments and giving rock band creators a reason to stay on top of there game... I can't wait for both games and plan on purchasing the full setup for both once again! Its a good addiction to have. I purchase every song that comes out for rock band and was pleased to hear that it wasnt for nothing!!!
  • GMcDougalGMcDougal Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    thanks for screwing PS3 owners over. Guess our money isnt good enough for you.
  • WhiteSunrise1080WhiteSunrise1080 Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    man that just disappoints me that the 360 gets it first, oh well although lookin forward to it on the ps3 when it comes out. i hope that the who album comes out b4 rb2
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Koenn;795732 said:
    Very cool, looking forward to future updates!

Edit: You should totally do daily information updates up to launch date like the Smash Bros. Brawl blog. That was great.
    Holy crap I remember waking up ten minutes early every day for a while just so I could check that blog before school and debate possible character inclusions (stupid Lucas being almost exactly like Ness, WE DON'T NEED TWO NESSES WE NEED RIDLEY!). The excitement that thing generated was absurd.

If they can't manage that, then maybe announce one song, feature, or mode every Monday, Wednesday, Friday? How many weekdays are there in the two months between announcement and release? I'm sure you could manage something like that.
  • 54x54x Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Fleskefinn;797797 said:
    So is Rock Band 2 coming out before or after Rock Band 1 in Norway? Are we ever getting to play the game at all? This waiting time is getting absurd.
    I hear you. Maybe they'll do a combined RB 1&2 pack for new territories? *shrug*
  • BassMasta666BassMasta666 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    54x;800762 said:
    I hear you. Maybe they'll do a combined RB 1&2 pack for new territories? *shrug*
    Maybe we won't have to wait so long this time .....i mean we still don't have RB1 o.o
  • FleskefinnFleskefinn Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    That only tells me we probably have to wait even longer. Whats the point in releasing RB1, when RB2 is already out. I'm a long time HMX fan, but whats the point anymore. I know I'm a big whiner right now, but I'm just really sad they dont care enough about their fans.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    I hope we don't have to wait that long. I mean, I wouldn't mind like a two-months wait, but as of now, it's more than 7 months since they released RB1 in the US, and most of Europe and Austraila hasn't got it yet... If they repeat this, I would be dissappointed.

Though what I really want is an announcment, wether it's that it's coming out on the same date as in the US, a month after or half a year after.
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I'm willing to forget HMX if.. they remake the video were Sean dances! please oh please! you said you'll do anything for your fans so heres your chance to regain my respect :)

LINK LINK LINKY!!
  • Matt17000Matt17000 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    What about the ps3 version? :'(
  • TheRockerTheRocker Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Matt17000;801103 said:
    What about the ps3 version? :'(
    I don't know, lets just wait and see what happens along the way. I just hope they tell us how the Ps3 development is coming along, last year they didn't.. :(

I remember each blog asking
    "When are we going to see the Ps3 version"
    "Hows it coming along"

I'm crossing my fingers for a good game not a port.

Quote:Brock_Landers
    "The beard is what's the problem, though! I mean you have to ask yourself, what's he got to hide?"

Quote:sa_nick
    "I heard that Sean doesn't have a chin under his beard, just another fist..."
  • Matt17000Matt17000 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I cross the fingers !
This discussion has been closed.