Rock Band 2 Development Rock Blog!!!

edited October 2008 in Announcements
In addition to the regular Rock Blogs provided by the HMX Community Team, the Lead Designer for RB2 (hmxspraynwipe aka Dan T) will be popping in to bring you some cool behind-the-scenes info on the development process for the upcoming sequel to Rock Band. You can check out his first Rock Band 2 related blog post below.

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/hmxspraynwipe/365708

Dan will be dropping all sorts of info, and spinning many colorful yarns. So gather 'round the fire and settle in for the first installment of Dan T's Rock Band 2 Development Blog.

8/8/08 edit:
CLICK HERE FOR DAN'S MOST RECENT BLOG

Comments

• quinakingquinaking Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Rockin'. Can't wait til the full game.
  • ppetrovippetrovi Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Very excited for the game as well. Waiting to see the setlist and any avatar changes as well. The online functionability also makes me want to know more. Maybe I can finally find some people with DLC or people who don't quit mid song.
  • KoennKoenn Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Very cool, looking forward to future updates!

Edit: You should totally do daily information updates up to launch date like the Smash Bros. Brawl blog. That was great.
  • Musicfreak82515Musicfreak82515 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    This is amazing, for RB2 to be released so soon. Anyway, hope the setlist is as good as RB1. Can't wait to see any changes made to the tours (always did want to play an online world tour) and hopefully more customization to characters.
  • AnarchyintheUKAnarchyintheUK Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    HMXspraynwipe genius name and a genius guy
  • Sgt PepperSgt Pepper Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Koenn;795732 said:
    Very cool, looking forward to future updates!

Edit: You should totally do daily information updates up to launch date like the Smash Bros. Brawl blog. That was great.
    Agreed. I tuned in every day for that, and I'd love to see HMX follow the format. I think revealing one song per day or something similar would have people paying attention :D.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited June 2008
    Hey Henry, didn't Dan (HMXspraynwipe) do QA for the original Rock Band? Or at least for DLC? His name sounds familiar and I don't know why.

Anyway, thanks for making a RB2 blog. :)
  • SmidgetSmidget Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    awesome. Thanks a bunch for gettin' the blogs going so quick and keeping this in mind :)

EDIT: Koenn, they blogged regularly up to the release of RB so this start is a good sign of blog love to come. I don't see daily blogs happening (not a whole lot of info than can be talked about right now) but between these new RB2 blogs and the normal set of weekly blogs I think our appetite will be filled :P

double EDIT: jeccaneko, Dan T was on the design team for the original RB as a senior designer.
  • edited June 2008
    I was really hoping we'd see these again. Always interesting to get a developer's perspective.

Get Canfield back here STAT. CHRIS, I KNOW YOURE OUT THERE.

:D
  • HardRocker12HardRocker12 Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Wasnt it Dan Teasdale that said they have all the masters for Nevermind? And is this the announcment that was supposed to be today? I'm guessing it is.
  • edited June 2008
    A rock blog by none other than DanT himself... It feels like the lead up to RB 1 last year... kind of eerie really.

Knowing him theres secret messages hidden with in the blog. EVERYONE CHECK! lol
  • CassiussCassiuss Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Awesome Awesome Awesome.

I too would like to see all the original songs come with RB2 (even tho that's probably a long shot)

Looking forward to see what the new instruments might look like.

WE NEED PIX!
  • edited June 2008
    sa_nick;796059 said:
    A rock blog by none other than DanT himself... It feels like the lead up to RB 1 last year... kind of eerie really.

Knowing him theres secret messages hidden with in the blog. EVERYONE CHECK! lol
    If you check his profile "Back in Black" by AC/DC is his favorite song listed... CONFIRMED FOR RB2 ZOMGZ! ;)
  • KoennKoenn Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Sgt Pepper;795812 said:
    Agreed. I tuned in every day for that, and I'd love to see HMX follow the format. I think revealing one song per day or something similar would have people paying attention :D.
    Definitely. A new song, game mode, general feature, or any other tidbit of information daily would be awesome.
  • SSSJDannySSSJDanny Unsigned
    edited June 2008
    I herd that they will have a new thing that will allow Users who are Experts to transition from Expert to real Instrument. THATS AWEMSOME! 150% I am gonna buy this Rock Band!!!!!!!
  • Gatorguy91Gatorguy91 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Can you just tell us ONE song? I'm very dissapointed that NO songs were announced.
  • A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited June 2008
    I suppose that this REALLY confirms Rock Band 2, eh?
  • A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited June 2008
    Gatorguy91;796175 said:
    Can you just tell us ONE song? I'm very dissapointed that NO songs were announced.
    I think that they're saving the good stuff for E3 ; ]
  • QueensoftheStoneAgeQueensoftheStoneAge Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    "Naturally, all of your purchased Rock Band DLC will work in Rock Band 2"

That's the best feature for RB2. Here's hoping the new drum kit will compete/be better than GHWT's.

EDIT: Just read Sean's announcement. SEPTEMBER?! Holy ****! This will hurt GHWT's momentum, thats for sure. Can't wait for the major news at E3!!!

So it looks like Online BWT is coming, and a massive setlist. Shoot, I might just buy a whole new bundle since the guitar looks good and we'll get a better drumkit. I'll just give my old one to a friend or keep it if we can get 2 player drum duels. It's great to have a job. :)
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited June 2008
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but my biggest hope for RB2 is a more difficult guitar. It's just too easy in RB.
  • grumpypariahgrumpypariah Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    i thought i got wicked excited for Friday's download announcements. that is nothing compared to my energy levels waiting to hear what comes out of E3.

just have to say, thanks Harmonix, making my favorite game of all time and continuing to support it and make it better.
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Apples;796015 said:
    I was really hoping we'd see these again. Always interesting to get a developer's perspective.

Get Canfield back here STAT. CHRIS, I KNOW YOURE OUT THERE.

:D
    I second this! You can't hide forever, Chris!

P.S. Apples set up spy cameras the last time he visited your office.
  • sidman69sidman69 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    ppetrovi;795711 said:
    Very excited for the game as well. Waiting to see the setlist and any avatar changes as well. The online functionability also makes me want to know more. Maybe I can finally find some people with DLC or people who don't quit mid song.
    even as a ps3 er of the game i think i shed a tear.
  • legaliyzlegaliyz Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    Can someone copy the text of the blog and paste it in this forum? That page will not open for me :(
  • RogerTarinRogerTarin Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    rock band 2 coming to xbox360 first? what the hell, that's not fair for your ps3 consumers, that will lose you lots of people to gh4 because customers usually buy what they see first, they don't wait around till it comes out, if gh4 is out already they'll end up buying it for sure...also how about some add ons to the original drumset instead of devolping a new one!
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Why don't we keep the PS3 disappointment (which I share) in the big thread in the main forum?

I wasn't around during the run up to launch (although I did get RB at launch, I just never checked out the site before then) so I'm excited to be here this time around in the run-up to launch.

Also, in all of the news today, the biggest is that Rock Band being a "platform" is indeed a serious thing. I never doubted it (for various reasons) but it is nice to have the confirmation. Rock Band 2 purchasers will be able to access something north of ... who knows, 300 songs at launch? Depending on how many RB2 comes with and how much DLC has been released up to that point. Even more important, DLC licensees will have a HUGE install base to sell DLC to, which will be important in drawing the bigger acts.

Finally, who wants to bet there will be some big high-profile album releases that are timed with the launch? That would be a nice way to salve the bruised feelings of us PS3 owners for sure...
  • sg327sg327 Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Apples;796074 said:
    If you check his profile "Back in Black" by AC/DC is his favorite song listed... CONFIRMED FOR RB2 ZOMGZ! ;)
    I was gonna post that but you beat me to it...lol
  • BigMonkEBigMonkE Road Warrior
    edited June 2008
    Finally! Now I can finally say **** you to GH:WT, cause I'm just gonna wait for RB2!
  • JedikntJediknt Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    QueensoftheStoneAge;796273 said:
    "Naturally, all of your purchased Rock Band DLC will work in Rock Band 2"

That's the best feature for RB2. Here's hoping the new drum kit will compete/be better than GHWT's.

EDIT: Just read Sean's announcement. SEPTEMBER?! Holy ****! This will hurt GHWT's momentum, thats for sure. Can't wait for the major news at E3!!!

So it looks like Online BWT is coming, and a massive setlist. Shoot, I might just buy a whole new bundle since the guitar looks good and we'll get a better drumkit. I'll just give my old one to a friend or keep it if we can get 2 player drum duels. It's great to have a job. :)

That was exactly my idea im giving my gf and her brother my old stuff so we can quickplay online
  • JedikntJediknt Opening Act
    edited June 2008
    BigMonkE;796845 said:
    Finally! Now I can finally say **** you to GH:WT, cause I'm just gonna wait for RB2!
    Only thing keeping me with getting both GHWT and RB2 is Linkin Park, so Hmx please save me some money by putting LP in RB2 :P

http://www.petitiononline.com/lprbm2m/petition.html
This discussion has been closed.