Weekly HMX Dev Rock Blog - 6/30 to 7/4

edited July 2008 in Announcements
Hey Rockers!

To kick off our batch of HMX Dev Rock Blogs this week, I'm linking to a Rock Band 2 Development blog from the RB2 Design Lead!

Dan T is a saucy fellow, so his Rock Blogs are sure to be filled with wit and verve. In fact, he is so saucy he has an entire thread dedicated to his Rock Blogs, but we'll still be linking to them from this thread as well. Check it out!

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/hmxspraynwipe/365708

Keep posted for all sorts of sneaky little details leading up to the launch of Rock Band 2!

Comments

• edited June 2008
    gonadsandstrife;798592 said:
    meet the new peripherals...same as the old perepherals.
    Let's try to keep discussion in this thread dedicated to responding to the posted Rock Blogs. Idle speculation about the future of RB2 or the stability of peripherals which have not yet been released can be redirected to one of the Official RB2 threads in the Community's Greatest Hits forum. Thanks.
  • fireshoesfireshoes Rising Star
    edited June 2008
    Tom Smykowski: You know, I had an idea like that once. A long time ago.
    Peter Gibbons: Really, what was it, Tom?
    Tom Smykowski: Well, all right. It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor, and it would have different conclusions written on it that you could jump to.
    Michael Bolton: That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.
    Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea. :cool:
  • cuddiecuddie Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Office Space is awesome
  • AllIWantIsU2AllIWantIsU2 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    HMXHenry;795819 said:
    Keep posted for all sorts of sneaky little details leading up to the launch of Rock Band 2!
    You mean like "we're the design team that's slaving over a hot keyboard to get Rock Band 2 into your hands" = there will be a keyboard peripheral in Rock Band 2?
  • Blatz00Blatz00 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I will not be buying RB2 if I have to buy new instruments.
    edited July 2008
    Blatz00;803449 said:
    I will not be buying RB2 if I have to buy new instruments.
    If you read the press release, you'll find that RB1 instruments are compatible.
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited July 2008
    Office Space is awesome.

Read this: http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/HMXJohnlok/367342?redir=1

Some info about NoD's Q&A (a question and answer assembled from questions asked here on the forums to the various departments here at HMX!), and reminders to keep an eye out for design rock blogs.

Werd, dawgs!
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    JohnLok, you may have reinstalled Diablo II, but I went as far as to start playing through Diablo again!

(And now I remember why Diablo II was so much better...)
    edited July 2008
    HyeJinx1984;803840 said:
    JohnLok, you may have reinstalled Diablo II, but I went as far as to start playing through Diablo again!

(And now I remember why Diablo II was so much better...)
    Haha, I did play a few minutes of Diablo, too =P
    edited July 2008
    HMXJohnlok;803788 said:
    Office Space is awesome.
    "Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta" by the Geto Boys, confirmed for RB2! Sweet! You guys were serious about fleshing out the genres. ;)
  • RednaxRednax Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Hows about an annoucement for an Australian release for Rock Band 1.

Thats right...rock band 1.

We've been kept in the dark for about 8 months now and counting. Start talking.
  • The ManimalThe Manimal Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I can only ask of two things for rock band number two:

1. That you can be able to play as lead, drums, vocal bass OR RHYTHEM GUITAR.

2. That you can keep your old characters you made and use them on rock band 2. (his doesn't necicarily mean that you have to bring over the money they earned in the first one but it would def. be nice if you could keep the old clothing and still add a bunch of new ones.)

That is all...Thank you.
    edited July 2008
    Here comes the Question and answer - TWO PARTER!!! Enjoy!

Harmonix Q&A Part 1

Harmonix Q&A Part 2
  • Bosco32Bosco32 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Q: Could someone please leak the secret online band leader determination criteria? I ’m beginning to think it’s based on ineptitude or life-time number of band-mates kicked for no apparent reason.

A: Dan T: It's a complex formula based on the types of rockband.com posts:

Leader priority = (number of times you didn't complain about DLC announcements) - (number of death threats towards HMX employees) + (number of times hmxjohnlok cries)
    That had me lol'ing. Great work on this one, and thanks!
  • edited July 2008
    http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/Apples/368456

I'm throwing down my initial reaction to the RB2 news in blogical format. Not anything deep or insightful, just thoughts and speculation.
  • edited July 2008
    Oh I just read the Q&A blog, it turned out great. Both insightful and funny.
  • S1ckH4ndsS1ckH4nds YouTube Guru
    edited July 2008
    This particular part of the Q&A is troubling:
    Dan T said:
    I want to find a way to have a Bass Tour, but without having to play through 40 simple songs to get to 20-30 awesome songs.
    Speaking for those of us that typically play bass and enjoy it, I'll just say right now; DO NOT GIMP THE BASS TOUR.

If I remember correctly, the reason you guys didn't put it in the first game was because you thought "it wouldn't be fun" or "it would be boring" or whatever. I personally have a lot more fun playing bass than I do playing guitar a good 95% of the time. I enjoy the challenge of attempting to get gold stars on these songs with their unforgiving paths... one missed note, or a badly timed OD activation, and that gold is gone.

Please stop trying to "protect" us from something that we don't need protecting from. I don't know about other people, but I would rather be able to play through the entirety of the songs on bass with all the features of the solo tour (earning money for my character, tracking scores, tracking stars) without having only 1/2 (or, if you're saying 20 songs, more like 1/4) of the songs at my disposal and having to go into Quickplay to do the rest.

Please please please please PLEASE think it over before you make a bad decision.
  • DikRodnumDikRodnum Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I agree about having a Bass tour. IN a game where the main purpose is to give the players the feeling of being in a real band, excluding the bassist just makes it seem like thats' not a very loved or needed part of any group. But yet tracks by Rush, The Police ( both groups having a bassist who sings), all of the Southern Rock tracks, March of the Pigs, Hysteria(sp), and then upcoming tracks by RHCP and SoaD...? C'mon you got proof right there that the Bass tracks can be awesome.

And as far as order of playing through 30 easy songs, just to get to 20 rockin songs...It doesn't matter. Those who WANT to play the Bass tour should be able to accept what they are getting into.

I for one would not be 'that' driven to go thru a Bass tour, but I do agree that there is a demand for (since GH2) and NOW is the time to address it.

...but the sad thing is with Sept. being the release timeframe, RB2 should almost be ready to go gold...
  • DB6896DB6896 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    As Apples commented in the Q&A blog I was suprised to see the Grateful Dead tunes get so much flack. Hopefully this won't delay the remaining 12 tracks even further...this is still one of my favorite packs so far. I'm curious though, were they painful because the developers are not fans of the Dead & their music, poor quality masters, difficult music to chart.....?

*EDIT* After reading part two it's a little clearer...the rest of the Dead tracks will come at some point but I don't picture many devs volunteering for the task of coding them!
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    S1ckH4nds;810539 said:
    This particular part of the Q&A is troubling:

Speaking for those of us that typically play bass and enjoy it, I'll just say right now; DO NOT GIMP THE BASS TOUR.

If I remember correctly, the reason you guys didn't put it in the first game was because you thought "it wouldn't be fun" or "it would be boring" or whatever. I personally have a lot more fun playing bass than I do playing guitar a good 95% of the time. I enjoy the challenge of attempting to get gold stars on these songs with their unforgiving paths... one missed note, or a badly timed OD activation, and that gold is gone.

Please stop trying to "protect" us from something that we don't need protecting from. I don't know about other people, but I would rather be able to play through the entirety of the songs on bass with all the features of the solo tour (earning money for my character, tracking scores, tracking stars) without having only 1/2 (or, if you're saying 20 songs, more like 1/4) of the songs at my disposal and having to go into Quickplay to do the rest.

Please please please please PLEASE think it over before you make a bad decision.
    I could not agree more with the above sentiment. So far, that's the only bit of RB2 news that has thrown up a red flag for me (sorry, PS3 users, I play on the 360, this is not to diminish the magnitude of suck y'all are experiencing).

Personally, some may call Bass 'boring'. For me, that's a feature, not a bug. :D
  • killerewokkillerewok Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    For the causal player, and not the wanna-be bassist, I can see bass being a boring strumfest of simple progressions. All he was saying is that they wanted to make the bass tour more fun, and finding a song order that would accomplish that while getting progressively harder is challenging for them. I wouldn't expect it to be "gimped", I just think it's going to be slightly different then the guitar tour.
  • internetguy87internetguy87 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    That's why the casual player has guitar tour and quickplay options. Bass tour will be for those who really want to get into it and perfect their scores and playing, really master bass. The casual players still has access to Bass in many other forms, QP, BWT, OQP, etc, but adding a Solo tour without every song would just be disasterours.
  • daprovidadaprovida Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I agree. I would not buy it if you were REQUIRED to have the RB2 peripherals. I would hope there would be some way to play the songs from RB1 disc with RB2. it is good to hear that the DLC will transfer over.
  • Kalerado28Kalerado28 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Hi, HMX Devs-n-Bloggers! :D

Since tournaments and competitions have become a major motivation to some folks for purchasing rhythm games such as "RockBand", in "RockBand 2", would it be possible to incorporate XBOX360 System-Link play for synchronized Full Band Vs. Full Band multiplayer (tug-of-war and/or score-duel) gameplaying AND 4-player score duels (instead of just 2-player)???

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/connecttoanotherconsole.htm

For tournaments (in particular), this feature would significantly cut down the time spent on elimination rounds and, consequently, make more time available to include more contestants (which, in turn, will make more people happy per songplay!).

Any thoughts on this, anybody?
  • billmcdougalbillmcdougal Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Kalerado28;821415 said:
    Hi, HMX Devs-n-Bloggers! :D

Since tournaments and competitions have become the major motivation for purchasing rhythm games such as "RockBand", in "RockBand 2", would it be possible to incorporate XBOX360 System-Link play for synchronized Full Band Vs. Full Band multiplayer (tug-of-war and/or score-duel) gameplaying AND 4-player score duels (instead of just 2-player)???

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/connecttoanotherconsole.htm

For tournaments (in particular), this feature would significantly cut down the time spent on elimination rounds and, consequently, make more time available to include more contestants.

Any thoughts on this, anybody?
    Those aren't bad ideas, but since when are competitions and tournaments the "major motivation" for purchasing Rock Band?
  • Kalerado28Kalerado28 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    billmcdougal;821549 said:
    Those aren't bad ideas, but since when are competitions and tournaments the "major motivation" for purchasing Rock Band?
    When you are a club/bar/restaurant owner who is trying to find more contemporary and appealing ways (than lame ol' karaoke) to increase patronage on "dead" weeknights...

That's how.
  • toad3000toad3000 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    The Manimal;807194 said:
    I can only ask of two things for rock band number two:

1. That you can be able to play as lead, drums, vocal bass OR RHYTHEM GUITAR.

2. That you can keep your old characters you made and use them on rock band 2. (his doesn't necicarily mean that you have to bring over the money they earned in the first one but it would def. be nice if you could keep the old clothing and still add a bunch of new ones.)

That is all...Thank you.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you're not going to see Rhythm guitar, as that would require re-authoring the existing DLC, which we already know isn't happening. And the request #2 I'm also going to veto, as I want a chance to swap out my HDD between games. HMX, if you decide to do this, please make the PS3 save games NOT copy-protected, so I can transfer to a new hard drive. Thanks!