Arm Pain When Drumming

TheKrazyKatzzzTheKrazyKatzzz Road Warrior
edited July 2008 in Rock Band
Do any of you experience arm pain from drumming? I always take a break whenever I feel any pain whatsoever but really would like to figure out ways to drum longer without needing to stop.

I feel like Rock Band is really weird in terms of form... I used to hold my sticks kinda sideways so that my thumb would be on the side (fingernail perpendicular to the floor), but I've felt that playing with my thumb on top of the stick (fingernail parallel to the floor) tends to wear me out slower. Basically my traditional grip is exactly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaXC5yYf0M which is what I use when I play my drumset.

Lately I've found it easier to play closer to basically what you see Calimist playing here (also closer to Azurite): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAQo0rsIu9w

What I don't know is whether the new way I've been playing is contributing to my arms getting tired out faster overall, or whether there's any other good tips or tricks for keeping my arm endurance up. Anyone have any ideas?

Rock Band can be kinda intense on expert drums... I already threw my neck once playing Perfect Drug and I think I hurt my wrists when I tried playing RttH three times in a row... I actually didn't bring RB home with me over the 4th just to make sure I wouldn't be tempted to play it and hurt myself more :/

I really hope whatever the next model is that they introduce for RB2 is more ergonomic.

Comments

• CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited July 2008
    no but when i play with thumb on top index finger on bottom the joints in my index finger starts to hurt -_-
  • C-WeinerC-Weiner Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    It depends on the song. If I'm doing the same thing over-and-over again, then yes.
  • mazzymazzy Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    I have more of a problem with leg cramps.... I keep telling myself to relax the leg.... and it helps.

Never any arm pain....
  • FlossDiggityFlossDiggity Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I hold the sticks same way..thumb up finger down...I never get arm pains but my arms do get tired after some songs, like Tom Sawyer..Maybe you're using your arms too much..relax just let the sticks bounce..I hold them so loose there's been a few occasions I've launched sticks into the air..
  • toMsons1987toMsons1987 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    It happens if you play to hard, something you get used too :)
  • MEPHILISMEPHILIS Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    For me, I get arm pains from Blackened and And justice for all on expert.
  • BanMekBanMek Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Try not hitting the pads and not swinging so hard!!!

You are supposed to let the stick bounce up and down and you control the timing of it.
  • eVan_DieseleVan_Diesel Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    My right tricep aches sometimes, especially on repetitive beats, but I play through it and it goes away eventually.
  • xXMrMattMattXxxXMrMattMattXx Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    after playing about 15-20 songs the bottom of my thumb between my palm and wrist goes numb and it feels really weird and i drum sometimes like ur hitting your funny bone but in your thumb
  • sbeardsbeard Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    If it's muscle soreness pain, (the burning from acid build up) it's not so much of a worry. if it's sharper pain, then it's probably a stress related thing.

A drummer friend recommended some Anti-Vibe sticks. They're expensive compared to other sticks, but there's much less vibration that carries up into your wrists. So they're more comfortable, especially during long play sessions.
  • OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited July 2008
    I got a pain today that's still there right above my elbow. Kinda sore...
  • TheKrazyKatzzzTheKrazyKatzzz Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I got a pain today that's still there right above my elbow. Kinda sore...

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I used to get it only after extended play sessions but now sometimes I'll be in the middle of a Ramones song or something and it'll spike.

I think I'll definitely invest in some anti-vibe sticks the first chance I get. BanMek, that site you linked also mentions "drummer's gloves" but I was a little unclear on whether they are for stress or for grip control. Anyone ever use them? Suggestions?

Other than that, people do tell me I stiffen up way too much when I play. Maybe I'm holding the sticks too tight too... I'll have to think of ways to relax my arms a little bit more before playing.
  • Room_on_FireRoom_on_Fire Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Here is what a black person from a drumming community in southwest nambia told me (he told me to keep a secret) PRACTICE. Endurance can only be brought on my PRACTICE!
  • PunkrockdrummerPunkrockdrummer Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Wow. Maybe you should live in a sterilized bubble.
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Thats why I avoid Electric Version, Reptilia, and Blitzkrieg Bop.
  • dagwaredagware Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Try changing the height of the drums, and vary the distance you sit from them. You might find something that eliminates the pain.

Dan
  • rocknrolxdxrocknrolxdx Banned
    edited July 2008
    Leg pain only, never arm.
  • rocknrolxdxrocknrolxdx Banned
    edited July 2008
    Punkrockdrummer;821162 said:
    Wow. Maybe you should live in a sterilized bubble.
    Lol, this made me chuckle.
  • nicholasenjnicholasenj Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    TheKrazyKatzzz;820364 said:
    Do any of you experience arm pain from drumming?
    only on the endless setlist. that, by the way, hurts like hell, and will for several days, regardless of difficulty.
  • the_othe_o Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I had some arm pain while on blitzkreig bop earlier today, in the area where the bicep attaches to the inside of the elbow. I think I'm using too much forearm. On fast hits with the right hand I've been trying to hold my right stick between thumb and middle finger and using fingers 3 and 4 to flick the back of stick upwards, which flings the stick down at the pad, getting more rebound, and keeping that bounce going, modifying the hold Ive had up to this point by not letting the stick touch the meat of my palm (which cuts the rebound quite a bit) so the hand looks slightly open, not closed. It got me an extra star on the electric version and suffragette city.
  • SonofmoghSonofmogh Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    No, but I sometimes feel wrist pain when I'm browsing this forum! ...eeewwwwwwwww naaaasty! ;)
  • RobbySuaveRobbySuave Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    I usually play hard drums, sometimes expert. I don't think I've ever gotten arm pain. Leg pain definitely, but not arm pain.