Change of XBL Gamertag

HajimeHajime Rising Star
edited July 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
Who else here thinks it is totally ridiculous of MS to ask for 800MS points (~$10) simply to change your gamertag on XBOX Live?

Comments

• AraghaAragha I posted 10,000 times and all I got was this lousy title
    edited July 2008
    I do! I do! Pick me!
  • FennzFennz Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    It's stupid to charge. They're called M$ for a reason.
  • IslandBoy91IslandBoy91 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    They probably charge money to prevent people from changing their tag, harassing people, changing it, harassing more people, changing it, etc. etc...
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    If you pay $50 a year to use a service, why not take the time to pick a name you'll want to stick with?

Or just have all your friends report your name and you'll be forced to change it. For free.
  • spheresphere Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    What's funniest about Microsoft is how I had to send in my 360 over a DVD drive issue, and when it came back, none of my purchased Arcade games worked - all back to trial mode, unless by purchase, MS meant 'rent for about a year'...

When I called tech support about it, they were all confused and crap, and kept giving me calls back by different people, each seeking the same information. After about 8 weeks, a guy finally called informing me that everything should work - all the licensing had been taken care of. The funny part was that the Arcade games still didn't work, and now all my Rock Band DLC doesn't work, either. Strange, isn't it? I don't even have the energy to call them about it at this point...
  • Lithium_666Lithium_666 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    IslandBoy91;823819 said:
    They probably charge money to prevent people from changing their tag, harassing people, changing it, harassing more people, changing it, etc. etc...
    pmpboarder;823832 said:
    If you pay $50 a year to use a service, why not take the time to pick a name you'll want to stick with?

Or just have all your friends report your name and you'll be forced to change it. For free.
    exactly and exactly
  • BuRn7 CaK3BuRn7 CaK3 Banned
    edited July 2008
    because if you are like me, you get sick of a name easy, and want to change it. if the price of a name change was lowered to like 400 ms points ($5) i would be happier
  • HajimeHajime Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    My only issue is that I selected a name without putting much thought into it assuming that I could simply change it to something I liked better later... I wasn't aware at the time I selected my gamertag that it would cost me $10 to change it in the future, otherwise I would have considered on it longer, and selected something I wouldn't mind keeping perminantly.
  • sexauerssexauers Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    well pretty soon we will be charged for thinking about changing our tag
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited July 2008
    Do it the way the cool people do it, get everyone you know to report it.
  • sexauerssexauers Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Ultimatum;825061 said:
    well that is just unamerican of you to con the coperate bstrds like that
    edited July 2008
    Ultimatum;825061 said:
    do you even realize how many Complaints it takes to do that now? Alot more than you think!
    edited July 2008
    Then just shout out random profanities and tell people to report your name, that seems to work.
    edited July 2008
    Ultimatum;829593 said:
    Then just shout out random profanities and tell people to report your name, that seems to work.
    They wont do it. I've tried that like 3 times. Nothing even worked.

or it can be as easy as me, the credit card i had on it expired, but i can still add points to my account from that same card. and i don't even get a message saying that its expired or an email saying that i've added points to my account. weird.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited July 2008
    How many complaints does it take to get the name change for free?
    edited July 2008
    it used to be like 50. But since microsoft was realizing that people were telling people to complain their name, they raised to to like 500 or something.

Honestly, its easier just to pay the $10
  • KevhouseKevhouse Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    My gamertag on live is El Pedro Loco. I can't go into a single Halo match without someone calling me a "beaner" or "illegal" or "dirty mexican". Even though I am not mexican myself, it gets really annoying really fast. I considered changing my tag, but I'm better off sticking with the random insults than paying an extra $10 that could be used toward rock band songs. My subscription just ran out, but all my gamerpoints are on that name....looks like I'm stuck with it.
    edited July 2008
    Not playing Halo would probably get rid of 88% of the problem.
    edited July 2008
    Ultimatum;839142 said:
    Not playing Halo would probably get rid of 88% of the problem.
    Yeah No Kidding. Everyone is so Racist in halo its not even funny.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited July 2008
    BuRn7 CaK3;840992 said:
    Yeah No Kidding. Everyone is so Racist in halo its not even funny.
    Hey I take offense to that generalization! I find racist jokes to be very tasteless, only stupid idiots think that is even amusing. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Default.aspx?player=Spartan%20DC%2017
    edited July 2008
    On the contrary I find racist jokes hilarious. However just calling someone a beaner or a n**ger on XBL is stupid.

Call of Duty 4 ftw.
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, it seems a lot of kids from Halo 3 migrated over to CoD4 though since it seems like it was the cool thing to do.

Whenever someone starts saying racist things, I just make random mic noises or sing along to some Death Metal song (usually Crystal Mountain).
  • FourstringOrionFourstringOrion Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Man... All you people talking about Halo online and all of the rude people brings back fond memories of before i had Satalite internet...Ohh well..

Back on-topic: Yeah i think it's ridiculus to have to pay $10 just to change your name.
  • HajimeHajime Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    I played a *lot* of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 online when it first came out, and the racism by the people on there was unbelievable... and it's just my observation, but most of the racist people seemed to have southern American accents...

While most of the racism was against black people, many of the American racists tried to be a little bit fair anyway... they would also insult British people because for some reason they couldn't understand them... I guess because they weren't speaking 'American'... I love when British/Irish/Australian/Kiwis etc., who speak English naturally, are subtitled on tv...

But I digress...

At any rate, I finally gave in today and paid the ridiculous 800MS points to change my name... I guess Bill Gates needs the money.
  • Colt_SteeleColt_Steele Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I ran into more random racism and hate mongering playing CoD4 than Halo and Rainbow 6 combined. I don't know why I haven't traded it in already.
    edited July 2008
    I ran into one racist in my nearly 1 year of playing CoD4 on XBL, I ran into more than I can count after playing Halo 3 for 2 weeks.
    edited July 2008
    I've met a few in CoD4, one is in my clan. XD
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I'm not denying it, a lot of them are just new**** at /b/.

You can usually tell how terribad they are when they keep laughing at themselves.

And you can mute people in CoD4 as well.
  • xxGuitarGodxxGuitarGod Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Hajime;825020 said:
    My only issue is that I selected a name without putting much thought into it assuming that I could simply change it to something I liked better later... I wasn't aware at the time I selected my gamertag that it would cost me $10 to change it in the future, otherwise I would have considered on it longer, and selected something I wouldn't mind keeping perminantly.

I don't have a 360 but when you create your account it should look like this.
    GamerTag:______________________________
    (Select your tag wisely because you will be charged a $10 fee if you decide to change it later.)