7/8 Rock Band 2 Q&A Dev Blog with Dan Teasdale

HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
edited August 2008 in Announcements

Comments

• SKooT182SKooT182 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I like the discussion of the question about a free-to-sing-what-you-want option. I helped some people set up rock band last night, and they would have failed out on vocals e every time if i was not there to help, since they didn't know all of the songs all that well.
  • MdubMediaMdubMedia Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    dopeness.

Still need more q's answered.

Like, is there going to be an upgraded mic? I see the madcatz has one, but what about in the bundle?

And is RB1 disc songs going to be included in RB2 or not!?
  • Grey_StreetGrey_Street Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I like this one...

Q: "I was wondering if you could create a code or a option to shut off the vocal pitch meter? Singing the song and making it "your own" would be a great idea and make an interesting addition to the game!!" - jd506

A: I can't talk about specific features until E3, but I think you'll be very happy with one of the new features in RB2 :)

I bet the feature he speaks of is a playable hacky sack load screen game...
  • neogelneogel Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    What a tease! This is the longest week of all time waiting to find out more about rock band 2...
  • edited July 2008
    neogel;833212 said:
    What a tease! This is the longest week of all time waiting to find out more about rock band 2...
    You must be new here. Spray N Wipe is the most notorious teaser of them all. It's even in his last name.... TEASE-dale. (literally, no joke!)
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    First page! :cool:

I'll read it now and post my impressions in a minute.

EDIT: Eh. Nothing too revealing there. But thanks!
    EDIT 2: I am quite curious about the opening statement in the blog:
    I wrote up this big post and took a lot of screenshots about one of our new features, and realised that I couldn't show it just yet because it relies on songs - and we hadn't officially announced any yet when I sent this off for approval. Awk-ward.

So, NEXT week you'll see that blog post, which will be good because I will be at E3 and usually wouldn't have time to do anything but a photoblog.
  • Goatman...Goatman... Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Love what I am hearing. The talky parts fix is welcome news. Though I predict lots of complaining about lowering the GS score requirements.

Edit: The scoring in general seems a bit off. Not just for RB but for all of these types of games. 100 notes in a row is worth more than 300 notes spread out. The multiplier is really the all important scoring mechanism. There are several songs that I have scored higher on medium than on hard. Even if I 4 or 5 star a song, it might not beat out a good score on medium for the same song.

I think about improving my career score, and it is a daunting task. In some cases I have to improve my expert scores by 50k just to match what I accomplished on medium. I don't see a fix to this.
  • AeroZeppelinSevenfoldAeroZeppelinSevenfold Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    yes! reading it right now.

edit:read it. love howt he talky parts are fixed. the gold star thing could be to easy though.

and to an earlier poster, i tink the reason medium gets you more than expert is so your scores end up evenly. if someone is playing expert guitar, they wouldn't want the drummer to play easy or else they would get a lower score. so the games were made with that in mind. probably. i don't know. i'm just guessing.
  • C-Pr0mptC-Pr0mpt Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    MdubMedia;833198 said:
    ...And is RB1 disc songs going to be included in RB2 or not!?
    From the answer to the first question in the blog, I would assume no.
  • SegnosaurSegnosaur Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Will your RB1 dlc high scores carry into RB2?????
  • poopbulletpoopbullet Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    sweet! I get more and more excited for E3 every hour it seems!!!
  • ProfStevieProfStevie Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Goatman...;833790 said:
    Edit: The scoring in general seems a bit off. Not just for RB but for all of these types of games. 100 notes in a row is worth more than 300 notes spread out. The multiplier is really the all important scoring mechanism. There are several songs that I have scored higher on medium than on hard. Even if I 4 or 5 star a song, it might not beat out a good score on medium for the same song.

I think about improving my career score, and it is a daunting task. In some cases I have to improve my expert scores by 50k just to match what I accomplished on medium. I don't see a fix to this.
    The idea of a multiplier for an unbroken combo is an old video game tradition. Yes, it means that missing one note has a large detrimental effect on your score. That's the challenge.

To your second point, your career score is the sum of the highest score you can get on each song, REGARDLESS OF DIFFICULTY. For me, mostly my highest scores are on Expert, but for a couple of the hardest ones like RttH and GG&HT my Hard score is higher, so it's the Hard score that counts for those songs. Work on getting your Medium scores higher. Then work on getting your Hard scores higher. If your Medium scores are your highest now, then yeah, jumping to Expert (high-score-wise, I mean) is going to be frustrating.
  • toad3000toad3000 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    MdubMedia;833198 said:
    dopeness.

Still need more q's answered.

And is RB1 disc songs going to be included in RB2 or not!?
    I like the attempt to get this question answered:
    Q: "If your Rock Band 2 instruments are better, if I wanted to switch disc over to play Run to the Hills or something can I use the new instruments?"

Nice try, Quinaking. Nice try.
  • U2Phreak1969U2Phreak1969 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    I'm doing live "bar" Rockband shows. Something that would really help me is a non-scored microphone setting where the mic is active and the lyrics are rolling, but there is no penalty for singing "off".

I'm sure a lot of you out there are reading this going "Dude, just suck less", so here's my resume. . . I consider myself a great singer as I have been asked to appear in radio jingles and I have over 15 years experience singing with bands and hosting karaoke shows. I know how to control my voice. I am anything but tone deaf.

Last night, for the 10th time or so, I got booed off on a song (Jukebox Hero, if there are any questions). What frustrates me about this is I've heard absolutely horrible singers get through a song and yet, for all my experience. . . and for what sounds good to the audience - I can still get booed off because maybe I'm singing from memory and I'm not spot on or maybe Lou Gramm (or Lou Gramm's cover artist in this case) are impossibly hard to sing.

Either way, my point is the mic position is the power position in a live gig. Without it being filled in a live Rockband show, you just got a couple jokers on stage playing plastic guitars. The vocalist completes the illusion of a real band.

The vocalist should be allowed a vocalist setting, where if he/she wants to do what all good vocalists/entertainers do and change the lyrics at times, scat, hum or ad lib. . . it shouldn't cost the band the song because of "adverse scoring".
  • quinakingquinaking Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I... I exist in the eyes of Harmonix! :D *Dies*
  • billmcdougalbillmcdougal Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Talkies fixed - Awesome! (means scores probably won't carry over, but it's worth it)

Gold star lowered - mixed bag (more likely scores won't carry over)
    Sure, there are a few songs that can't be GS'd and that's wrong and needs to be fixed. But some songs are too easy to GS as it is and will just be silly-easy now. Oh well, I guess it's a fair trade off. I just hope that only solo gold stars will be easier because band gold stars are already pretty easy and I don't think there are any song where they're impossible.
  • lrdgrdlrdgrd Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Really really nice... really looking foward to hear more features. The only thing that i might look up to is an enhanced drum... not like the GHWT one.. but something diferent that still doesnt break backward compatibility.
  • ZechmanZechman Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    RE: Gold Star score thresholds

It seems to me that this could simply mean that they have made verifying that GS scoring is possible part of their Q/A process and chosen a threshold multiplier that's . . . JUST . . . A . . . TINY . . . BIT . . . lower.
    Like 1.50xxxx of 5-stars instead of 1.51xxxx.

Or that the multiplier is now tweaked on a per-song basis.

And it's not as if it affects the leaderboards. Your score is your score, irregardless of how many stars it rated.

--Dwayne
    edited July 2008
    billmcdougal;836617 said:
    Talkies fixed - Awesome! (means scores probably won't carry over, but it's worth it)

Gold star lowered - mixed bag (more likely scores won't carry over)
    Sure, there are a few songs that can't be GS'd and that's wrong and needs to be fixed. But some songs are too easy to GS as it is and will just be silly-easy now. Oh well, I guess it's a fair trade off. I just hope that only solo gold stars will be easier because band gold stars are already pretty easy and I don't think there are any song where they're impossible.
    You know, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that these are applying to the RB2 on-disc songs, not the existing DLC or RB1 songs. So it shouldn't affect the carrying over of scores.
  • MacMogMacMog Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    U2Phreak1969;836377 said:
    I'm sure a lot of you out there are reading this going "Dude, just suck less", so here's my resume. . . I consider myself a great singer as I have been asked to appear in radio jingles and I have over 15 years experience singing with bands and hosting karaoke shows. I know how to control my voice. I am anything but tone deaf.

Last night, for the 10th time or so, I got booed off on a song (Jukebox Hero, if there are any questions).
    Really? Even on Easy? I can't imagine that someone who doesn't suck could fail repeatedly on Easy, unless they insist on drastically rewriting the tune. If you want to do that, get a karaoke setup going.
  • U2Phreak1969U2Phreak1969 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    MacMog;838413 said:
    Really? Even on Easy? I can't imagine that someone who doesn't suck could fail repeatedly on Easy, unless they insist on drastically rewriting the tune. If you want to do that, get a karaoke setup going.
    I have my own karaoke set up, thank you. . . That's kind of, part of the point.

The song might have been set on medium. . . . HOWEVER, recognizing that playing Rockband in public (the HMXers do all the time at a local Boston haunt) is great PR and at that free publicity for them. Think not only how many Rockband systems will end up getting sold from the public forum, but as well, how many game systems! It's worth doing everything possible to make unskilled singers able to finish their song in public. Granted, they should perhaps get booed off stage. Its a kind of a clutch that karaoke has never had. However, people might have never done karaoke again had the host started "Gonging" people off stage. People's ego's are fragile enough in public, let alone adding public humiliation to it.

Here's another angle to this. . . We keep getting obscure downloadable tunes that are fun enough to play on guitar or drums, but honestly. . . who has plugged their mic in and decided to sing an unknown song the first time they hear a new song???? Sorry. . . . It doesn't happen! Being able to put the game in singer mode and learn the song without getting booed off would be awesome! Okay now some of you are saying, "just put it in practice mode idiot!". . .
    Well now the conversation comes full circle because lets go back to the live venue and you have two people that are really into Hier Kommt Alex and say a bassist that is impartial and a singer that is like. . . No WAY am I singing in German! Ich nicht sprechen sie Duetsch!!! Well, if they knew they could fumble their way through it and possibly learn the song (if there was a non-scored mode) they might feel welcome to try, if they aren't worried about getting booed off stage.

It makes a lot of sense. Honestly, that is my biggest issue with a lot of the abstract songs we are given the opportunity to download. The singer isn't really thought about when they are developing these titles. Seriously, how many people have you found even at Friday evening house parties that can sing Lou Gramm, Paul Stanley or Tom Sholz? I love Foreigner, KISS and Boston respectively, but they are bloody hard to sing. . . Short of losing a testicle before your voice changes. More than likely singers that try are peeling the paint from the walls with their attempts.
    But this isn't a call to change the way they decide on DLC. . . I love the fact we have some upcoming classic songs by The Offspring and Dexter isn't any easier to sing than any of the above characters. My whole point is, if they want to continue to put out DLC with Steve Perry'ish vocals. . . They need to give us a non-scoring vocal mode. I'm sure this would be an easy add.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited July 2008
    U2Phreak1969;841371 said:
    Seriously, how many people have you found even at Friday evening house parties that can sing Lou Gramm, Paul Stanley or Tom Sholz? I love Foreigner, KISS and Boston respectively, but they are bloody hard to sing. . . Short of losing a testicle before your voice changes. More than likely singers that try are peeling the paint from the walls with their attempts.
    This is why the game allows you to sing in any octave. If it required all songs to be sung in their original octave, most people would not be able to complete the solo vocals tour because there are going to be songs that are either too high or too low for your vocal range.

I agree with you on the DLC familiarity point. I personally listen to and learn almost every new song, and there are countless songs I went from not knowing at all to being able to 100% them on Expert every time. However, in a party/karaoke setting with people who do NOT own Rock Band, nobody wants to try and BS their way through a song they aren't familiar with.
    edited July 2008
    U2Phreak1969;841371 said:
    Seriously, how many people have you found even at Friday evening house parties that can sing Lou Gramm, Paul Stanley or Tom Sholz? I love Foreigner, KISS and Boston respectively, but they are bloody hard to sing.
    Hmm. If you're having a hard time singing as Tom Scholz, maybe give singing as Brad Delp a try. ;)
  • themadspinthemadspin Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    I think the notion of free score vocals comes down to two camps at times. One of them is the, "Let's keep the party going," camp and the other is the, "Suck less and learn to sing," camp.

I don't know that I feel the two need to be mutually exclusive to still qualify Rock Band as a challenging and interesting game.

Games like Grand Theft Auto have long allowed you the option of playing the game straight up, or popping in developer created cheat codes in order to bring havoc and destruction to the masses. There's a trade-off of course: you give up credibility in placement of unmitigated freedom and fun.

I think if people are willing to sacrifice score in a group setting via free-vocals, then there is no reason to avoid its inclusion. I think it's a great idea and would also keep me from getting frustrated when my 4 year old illiterate nephew wants to play and just hums gibberish into the mic.
  • RhezekimRhezekim Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I am sure this was addressed so please forgive me for missing it or not taking the time to check thouroughly. I wanted to know if the DLC for Rock Band will be able to be used on Rock Band 2? I have spent a lot of money on DLC, almost every song, and I would hate to have that money wasted, it would be great if we could play all the DLC from the original Rock Band on Rock Band 2, thanks for your patience with me and your understanding.
  • crivitcrivit Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Rhezekim;842785 said:
    I am sure this was addressed so please forgive me for missing it or not taking the time to check thouroughly. I wanted to know if the DLC for Rock Band will be able to be used on Rock Band 2? I have spent a lot of money on DLC, almost every song, and I would hate to have that money wasted, it would be great if we could play all the DLC from the original Rock Band on Rock Band 2, thanks for your patience with me and your understanding.
    Yes, all DLC will work with RB2 automatically. You don't even have to download anything again. Also all DLC released after RB2 comes out will still work with RB1. There is no specific RB1 or RB2 DLC, it's all just RB DLC.
  • RhezekimRhezekim Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    crivit;842830 said:
    Yes, all DLC will work with RB2 automatically. You don't even have to download anything again. Also all DLC released after RB2 comes out will still work with RB1. There is no specific RB1 or RB2 DLC, it's all just RB DLC.
    I just wanted to thank you for such a fast, prompt, and curteous response, I figured someone would get ticked at me for asking this question but I am very grateful that your answer is yes, that it will work, so for that reason alone (probably many more) I will be a Rock Band supporter for life, I don't believe I will be buying the GH IV because they promised a lot of DLC for GH III and didn't deliver. Thanks again.
  • MacMogMacMog Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    themadspin;841671 said:
    Games like Grand Theft Auto have long allowed you the option of playing the game straight up, or popping in developer created cheat codes in order to bring havoc and destruction to the masses. There's a trade-off of course: you give up credibility in placement of unmitigated freedom and fun.
    Some games, rather few in fact, have such cheat codes. The developers don't put them in for your pleasure, either; they create them to make their testers' lives easier. They sometimes leave them in as a gift to the players and because you don't mess with the release candidate once you've thoroughly tested it, for any reason.
    themadspin;841671 said:
    I think if people are willing to sacrifice score in a group setting via free-vocals, then there is no reason to avoid its inclusion. I think it's a great idea and would also keep me from getting frustrated when my 4 year old illiterate nephew wants to play and just hums gibberish into the mic.
    But why the vocals specifically? I took Rock Band over to play with some of my friends who have never played music games. At first they struggled to survive with Easy guitar, bass, and drums. I don't mind a "no autofail" option so long as it applies to the other instruments too.
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited July 2008
    Q: "I was wondering if you could create a code or a option to shut off the vocal pitch meter? Singing the song and making it "your own" would be a great idea and make an interesting addition to the game!!" - jd506

A: I can't talk about specific features until E3, but I think you'll be very happy with one of the new features in RB2 :)

WOOO F'N HOOOO!!! That's been a big wish for me , but I didn't actually think I would have anything like this to look forward to.

I have no prob matching pitch , but when playing in a party , you want to sing LIVE , just like the real artist would do. It just doesn't work when you have to match the pitch perfectly to stay alive on Expert.

Can't wait for E-3 !
  • sparki1980sparki1980 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I like the no-score mic bit I was able to infer... :D

But I'd still like to know bout having a 2nd mic (first be scored, second be free-mode for backup singing/harmony). :confused:

Also, I can't leave a comment on his blog else I'd ask about that....grrr.