Best/Worst DLC and why

JumboCacJumboCac Unsigned
edited July 2008 in Rock Band
Worst:

The Metallica Pack
Does anyone over 16 even like this band anymore? I'm so glad this was DLC, if it were in the full game and it came up in random setlists I'd shoot myself.

The Disturbed Songs
Never having heard disturbed, I conveniently got two of these songs for free - what awful, awful music. It's like a bunch of highschoolers got together and yelled HELL YEAH GUYS! TIME TO MAKE A METAL BAND! Then raised their fingers in metal horns.

The Best:
Doolittle
Classic album, not one bad song, and only one song that's not fun to play (You know what I'm talking about!!)

The Cars
Once again, fantastic album, and not a bad song on there. Fun to sing, drum AND guitar, which is rare for most songs.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date with the night
I kind of liked this song, but man is that note chart for guitar awesome. I can't stop playing it.

HMX pack
More freezepop. Enough said.

The Sounds - Song with a mission
It's rare I get to see one of my favourite bands in a game like this, and HMX pulled it off :)

Comments

• TornShaunTornShaun Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    My favourite so far is the Weezer Pack the worst maybe the MTV2 pack ? hence why i didn't buy it.
  • krammkrackerkrammkracker Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Best: Boston Pack/ Jimmy Buffet/ Greatful Dead

Worst: Thrash Pack/Emo Pack
  • quinakingquinaking Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Most metal = fail IMO. Black Sabbath an Judas Priest are good but the Disturbed Metalica "IMA KILL YOUR FAMILY BITCH! *GUITAR SOLO*" Is just not my thing :/.
  • JumboCacJumboCac Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    zerofan;839995 said:
    I am so sorry but Doolittle STINKS!!! Find me a song on there with a great hook that you can enjoy. Flat and uninspired garbage.....15 songs or so on that album and not one great song....POS!! Go ahead and rip me to shreds if you wish, but your not gonna convince me that The Pixies are any good. That album f'n STINKS!
    The album has heaps of hooks... if you're too musically dense to detect them, maybe you should go back to playing madden instead of a game about music?
    ScottyTheBody;840004 said:
    BEST: Boston Pack

WORST: MTV Pack 2
    I forgot these two! I love boston :)
  • DarkJ3JBDarkJ3JB Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    JumboCac;839973 said:
    Worst:

The Metallica Pack
    Does anyone over 16 even like this band anymore? I'm so glad this was DLC, if it were in the full game and it came up in random setlists I'd shoot myself.

The Disturbed Songs
    Never having heard disturbed, I conveniently got two of these songs for free - what awful, awful music. It's like a bunch of highschoolers got together and yelled HELL YEAH GUYS! TIME TO MAKE A METAL BAND! Then raised their fingers in metal horns.

The Best:
    Doolittle
    Classic album, not one bad song, and only one song that's not fun to play (You know what I'm talking about!!)

The Cars
    Once again, fantastic album, and not a bad song on there. Fun to sing, drum AND guitar, which is rare for most songs.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date with the night
    I kind of liked this song, but man is that note chart for guitar awesome. I can't stop playing it.

HMX pack
    More freezepop. Enough said.

The Sounds - Song with a mission
    It's rare I get to see one of my favourite bands in a game like this, and HMX pulled it off :)
    Congrats to you for liking these songs and hating those songs. But why tell us, do you think we really care about what songs you like and what songs you don't like. I'm pretty sure money is what talks to harmonix not what you or she says they like. They notice that the Metallica pack is selling well. Obviously you bought it and you hate them. So they are going to do some music kinda like metallica. Its all about how the money is. Not how one persons feelings are.

As for me my favorite downloads are:

RUSH
    RHCP
    A7X
    DISTURBED
    METALLICA
    MUSE

least favorite would be the ones I didn't download. So no I haven't played them, why, because they didn't look fun on youtube so why buy it. Or I didn't like the sound of the music when I heard it on youtube.

The Cars
    Pixies

Both bands personally don't have the rhythem I like in music. They don't have any hip.
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    JumboCac;839973 said:
    Worst:

The Metallica Pack

The Disturbed Songs
    You seem like one of those douchebags that just hate bands because they're mildly popular, or metal in general apparently. Just about anyone who whines about the Metallica pack to such an extent has to be. And then having Doolittle is supposed to make you seem like you have a huge open mind about music. Don't get me wrong, I love them too, but this is just stupid. It's like you're one of those *******s that go on all day about how they're saving the environment with their hybrid and everyone with a normal car disgusts them.
  • greetdeathgreetdeath Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    My favorite pack so far has been Boston. Without a doubt the some of the best songs in the game have come from this pack. I've also enjoyed The Cars, Jimmy Buffett and the Grateful Dead pack.

The worst ones have been the Metallica, Disturbed, & the Thrash pack. I actually bought the Metallica pack but I find myself very rarely playing it. I also have 2 of the 3 songs in the Disturbed pack and their hokey reggae sound horribly complimented with indecipherable lyrics seem pretty sad. The thrash pack, not my cup of tea at all. I have no idea why some people think playing faster = playing better.
  • JumboCacJumboCac Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Vedicardi;840031 said:
    You seem like one of those douchebags that just hate bands because they're mildly popular, or metal in general apparently. Just about anyone who whines about the Metallica pack to such an extent has to be. And then having Doolittle is supposed to make you seem like you have a huge open mind about music. Don't get me wrong, I love them too, but this is just stupid. It's like you're one of those *******s that go on all day about how they're saving the environment with their hybrid and everyone with a normal car disgusts them.
    Wow, ignorant much?

I didn't pay for the Metallica pack, because they're an awful band.

I said I like the Cars. INSANELY popular album, sold incredibly well. I got the Queens of the Stone Age pack (Despite Sick, Sick, Sick), and loved it a lot. The NIN pack. Want me to continue listing popular music I enjoy? Because I can. People like you just can't form an argument without resorting to "YOURE WRONG AND YOURE ONLY SAYING THAT TO BE COOL". Which isn't what I'm doing.
  • BakksterBakkster Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Best pack: Anything that you play a lot.

Worst pack: Anything you don't play a lot.

Anyone who calls any of the DLC bad is like calling a certain cake bad, because it's not the kind of cake you eat. Super lame.
  • edited July 2008
    Let's try and keep this thread civil and not bash eachother over the head for our opinions, shall we?

As for my shiny two cents:

Best: the Boston pack. Great fun for every instrument and a real challenge on vocals.
    Other personal favorites: Doolittle, all Rush songs released so far, the Police and classic rock packs.

Worst: There's no such thing as bad DLC so far, only DLC that I personally don't like. A couple of packs that I'll never get are the Metallica and Thrash packs (I like the music, I just don't like playing those kind of songs in RB) and the Oasis and Scene packs (because I don't like the music itself).
  • BrainstewBrainstew Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    JumboCac;840044 said:
    Wow, ignorant much?

I didn't pay for the Metallica pack, because they're an awful band.

I said I like the Cars. INSANELY popular album, sold incredibly well. I got the Queens of the Stone Age pack (Despite Sick, Sick, Sick), and loved it a lot. The NIN pack. Want me to continue listing popular music I enjoy? Because I can. People like you just can't form an argument without resorting to "YOURE WRONG AND YOURE ONLY SAYING THAT TO BE COOL". Which isn't what I'm doing.
    You are the ignorant one, you started an unnecessary thread that anyone with half a brain knew would spiral into a flame war. We don't need a new thread for every poster on the site to voice their opinion on DLC. As for Metallica being an awful band, even if you like them they are undeniably talented and to say otherwise makes you look incredibly stupid.
  • blackplastic22blackplastic22 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Your "opinion" really doesn't even matter when it comes to saying Metallica and Disturbed are the worst DLC. You may be doing everything you can to make yourself look like a non conformist on an internet message board but the charts are some of the funnest whether you like it or not.
  • SoonmotSoonmot Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    /\/\/\ funnest is not a word
    Brainstew;839986 said:
    This thread wasn't necessary at all...

Not to mention your musical taste is awful if you like Freezepop and disrespect Metallica. Not to mention even if you don't like Metallica or Disturbed they are both more fun on every instrument than every band you mentioned. Just close this topic and save yourself further embarrassment please.
    No, they are just for teenagers and guys who still wish they were teenagers, I agree with the OP in every way, except that I would add in love for Buffet.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited July 2008
    greetdeath;840033 said:

The thrash pack, not my cup of tea at all. I have no idea why some people think playing faster = playing better.
    it's not about playing faster. in my opinion, the majority of my love for metal is found in the atmosphere found in the music. i don't like any of the material that was presented in the thrash pack, but i do like LOTS of metal.
    on a sidenote, i see you're from tennessee (i just moved from west tennessee to south carolina) and into lots of good stuff. my ex-boyfriend and i almost got matching explosions in the sky tattoos. i chickened out and now he's stuff with the album cover of "those of tell the truth" on his arm.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Brainstew;840050 said:
    You are the ignorant one, you started an unnecessary thread that anyone with half a brain knew would spiral into a flame war. We don't need a new thread for every poster on the site to voice their opinion on DLC. As for Metallica being an awful band, even if you like them they are undeniably talented and to say otherwise makes you look incredibly stupid.
    Err. yeah. Quoted for truth.
  • kanreikanrei Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Der_Lex;840048 said:
    A couple of packs that I'll never get are the Metallica and Thrash packs (I like the music, I just don't like playing those kind of songs in RB) and the Oasis and Scene packs (because I don't like the music itself).
    Reconsider the Oasis pack. I actually hated the band with a passion, but have to admit those four songs they have put in the game are actually challenging and fun. Rock N Roll Star is quickly becoming a favorite to play.
  • jayt0302jayt0302 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Actually, I just tried Disturbed - Inside the fire on guitar.

The part immediately after the solo was really fun, the rest of the song was dull.
    Wait? Inside the fire was dull to you? But u prefer freezepop and Doolittle. whether u hate metallica or disturbed or Avenged Sevenfold, how can u say that playing that song is dull? I can think of a million others that are way more boring than that. Like all 15 Doolittle songs, the first 5 tiers, the cars, buffet.

Now just cause i stated those artists don't mean i hate them, just boring on the guitar
    edited July 2008
    Soonmot;840055 said:
    /\/\/\ funnest is not a word

No, they are just for teenagers and guys who still wish they were teenagers, I agree with the OP in every way, except that I would add in love for Buffet.
    If Metallica is "for teenagers" then what does that make the Yeah Yeah Yeah's and Freezepop, for infants?
    edited July 2008
    jayt0302;840062 said:
    Wait? Inside the fire was dull to you? But u prefer freezepop and Doolittle.
    Quote for truth
  • edited July 2008
    kanrei;840059 said:
    Reconsider the Oasis pack. I actually hated the band with a passion, but have to admit those four songs they have put in the game are actually challenging and fun. Rock N Roll Star is quickly becoming a favorite to play.
    For just about any other band, I would. But both I and my regular play group really, really dislike Oasis. A fun chart can often tide me over for a band that I usually don't listen to (Afterlife is the most recent example of that), but (and i'm sorry if I offend any fans with this) I really can't stand Oasis.

Also, Freezepop and Doolittle are awesome. Sprode, Debaser and Monkey Gone to Heaven are some of the most requested songs when I have friends over.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Wow, this turned into a war of musical tastes quick. Would probably be best to lock this Der_Lex.
  • krammkrackerkrammkracker Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Dammit guys...stop the flaming...this thread will be closed if we keep calling eachother idiots because of an opinion...we all have an opinion...and everyones opinion is different... get over it.
  • DarkJ3JBDarkJ3JB Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    JumboCac;839996 said:
    Actually, I just tried Disturbed - Inside the fire on guitar.

The part immediately after the solo was really fun, the rest of the song was dull.
    Now look Jumbo. We all know that playing EASY on the guiar is going to be dull. Come back when you can play the song on Expert.

Personally 98% of the songs in the game DLC or not are fun to play on expert. Not saying all of them are a chalenge to play but they still are fun. Also don't rate a song based on how it is for a single person to play it base it on how fun it is to play with others in the room.

The game is ment to have 4 people playing at a time you know.
    edited July 2008
    Brainstew;840070 said:
    If Metallica is "for teenagers" then what does that make the Yeah Yeah Yeah's and Freezepop, for infants?
    it truly depends on the person. some people see poppier music as childish while others see the overdramatic posturing and barbarism of metal as being immature.
    i love both the yeah yeah yeahs and old metallica, personally.
  • edited July 2008
    schmeankman;840077 said:
    Wow, this turned into a war of musical tastes quick. Would probably be best to lock this Der_Lex.
    I'm considering it. I'm willing to give this a fair chance, but if the personal attacks continue, lock it I shall.
    edited July 2008
    krammkracker;840078 said:
    Dammit guys...stop the flaming...this thread will be closed if we keep calling eachother idiots because of an opinion...we all have an opinion...and everyones opinion is different... get over it.
    It's one thing to voice your opinion and another to try and make people who don't share your opinion look dumb, like the topic poster did. His comments about Metallica saying, "Does anyone over 16 even like this band anymore?" was a reckless comment that anyone could tell would provoke a flame war. This thread would be better shut down.
    edited July 2008
    krammkracker;840078 said:
    Read the first post, this topic was basically made to be a flame war.
  • SoonmotSoonmot Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Brainstew;840070 said:
    No, it makes them for people who don't have long greasy hair and wonder why girls won't talk to them.
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I didn't buy the Metallica songs, and I'm sick of Enter Sandman. That being said, it's hard to argue for any band to be more appropriate for this game.

I also didn't buy Doolittle. I previewed all the songs, and it just wasn't for me. They can keep the Thrasher pack, too. Both of those still deserve to be included, however.

I think the best DLC I've purchased has ended up being music that I didn't know from bands that I didn't know existed.

Still Alive, Clean Shot, Date with the Night, It Hurts... That sort of thing.
    I've also had lots of fun with This Ain't a Scene and Hysteria. Oh, and Hammerhead.
    edited July 2008
    schmeankman;840077 said:
    to be honest, that would be a good argument for closing the whole forum.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Okay people, let's not bash this guy's opinions here. It's not an unnecessary thread that will decend in a flame-war unless we let it.

My favourite: Undoubtedly The Who pack. Regardless of whether I've played it or not, I guarantee it'll be amazing.
    Other favourites: Screaming For Vengeance, Oasis Pack, Perfekte Welle, & Boston pack.

My thoughts on the worst:
    Thrash pack: I'm all for challenging difficulty, but when it comes at the expense of musicality then I'm against it altogether. These songs, due to their speed, loose all sense of what makes good music good. I've never been one who believes that the faster you play the better you must be. Some of the best guitar players don't play at Thrash level speeds, but produce music that is 100 times better. I've never seen the appeal of Speed Metal or Thrash myself, nor can I see the appeal in this pack.

Metallica pack: I'm still trying to figure out how these guys made it big. Sure, they have some talented players, but the writing is just plain awful (with the exception of a couple of songs). While the lyrics sometimes have good messages, it's just lost behind a wall of musical nonsense. They're talented, but they're not using that talent when they write that music. In addition, this is one of the only packs that I've gone and deleted because it just wasn't fun at all. The guitar charts were awful in my opinion and more work than play.
This discussion has been closed.