"Konami Sues Viacom Over `Rock Band' Music Video Game"..... pfffft.

OKGostOKGost Opening Act
edited July 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
Taken from http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aHQODoKwFYrA&refer=japan
Konami Sues Viacom Over `Rock Band' Music Video Game (Update2)

By Susan Decker

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- Konami Corp., the Japanese creator of the ``Dance Dance Revolution'' music video game, sued Viacom Inc.'s Harmonix studio, claiming its ``Rock Band'' game violates patents.

The Konami patents, issued in 2002 and 2003, relate to simulated musical instruments, a music-game system and a ``musical-rhythm matching game.'' Konami also makes the ``Karaoke Revolution'' music game with microphones, as well as the ``Metal Gear Solid'' espionage game.

``Rock Band,'' the game in which players emulate rock and rollers with toy instruments, drove a 16 percent increase in first-quarter revenue at New York-based Viacom's media networks business. Konami's Digital Entertainment unit said in May it plans to begin selling its own rock band game, called ``Rock Revolution,'' later this year.

Konami is demanding cash compensation, plus an order that would block Viacom and Harmonix from using the inventions, according to the complaint, filed yesterday in federal court in Marshall, Texas. The suit names Harmonix Music Systems, Viacom, and Viacom's MTV Networks Co., which owns Harmonix.

Viacom spokeswoman Kelly McAndrew said the company hasn't received the complaint, so had no immediate comment.

Konami American depositary receipts, each representing one ordinary share, fell $1.67, or 5.2 percent, to $30.15 at 4:02 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have risen 26 percent in the past year. Viacom's Class B shares rose 22 cents to $28.12 and have dropped 32 percent in the past year.

The case is Konami Digital Entertainment Co. v. Harmonix Music Systems Inc., 08cv286, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (Marshall).

To contact the reporter on this story: Susan Decker in Washington at [email]sdecker1@bloomberg.net[/email].
They just hatin' in HMX for being the best. Haha.

Comments

• bse523bse523 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    They're the ones really guilty of trying to milk every last cent they can from crappy games. Yet people still buy their ****ty DDR home mixes, so I guess I can't completely blame Konami.
  • ChargedCharged Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    R4di4ti0n;842721 said:
    How much you bet that they ran out of money for Rock Revolution and are trying to come up with ways to scrap together the cash?

Konami Rep 1: Awww, crap, were broke. We spent way tooo much on Avril Lavigne

Konami 2: Well, damn. What are we going to do? Sell girl scout cookies?

Kon 1: Yeah! And we can also sell those frozen dinners. Lets get the QA team to start going door to door now!

Solid Snake: *long, slow inhale of cigarette*. *longer, slower exhale* You guys are fairies. Lets just sue some bitches.
    I highly doubt Konami is broke simply because of the massive MGS4 release that just took place a month ago.

Unless all that money went to Kojima Studios? Not sure.
  • JordanonfireJordanonfire Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842621 said:
    So you're admitting it's wrong but mad at the timing?

I would imagine they will.

IF they even have a case (which I doubt they do) - it's pretty damned obvious they waited until they would get a great amount of money out of any suit.
    By delaying any action and not taking action against GH1 or 2, they basically gave HMX un-spoken permission to make these games.
  • Samuel346Samuel346 Headliner
    edited July 2008
    schmeankman;842795 said:
    Well, I'll make sure to never buy anything from Konami I guess. Completely sours me (and will sour all my friends when I tell them) on thier products.
    Are you serious?

Are you f*cking kidding me?

Do you not understand the concept of stealing?

Technically, using a patent(without permission) is STEALING.

I don't care if you love the company who is stealing. STILL STEALING.
  • Froggy21786Froggy21786 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    As far as timing goes, RB2 is in the works....maybe it has something to do with that instead of RB1?

There has to be some sort of patent violation for this to work for Konami, I don't know enough about the patents in question to speculate on what it could or could not be.

If they are trying to sue just because Rock Band is another game within the genre, they will lose. Something makes me think that isn't the case, Konami isn't stupid enough to take a case to court if they know they have no chance of winning it. They have got something on Rock Band/HMX or they wouldn't be going to court in the first place.
  • lankyblankyb Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Gryffindor;842756 said:
    Konami created a guitar simulator (Guitar Freaks) and a drum simulator (Drum Mania) long before Guitar Hero or Rock Band came along.

Harmonix and Konami used to work together on the Karaoke Revolution games but that partnership ceased about 2 games ago.

It's all going to come down to the patents. HMX has a patent on the strat but not on the drums.

As for the actual game play technology I doubt that would even be patentable considering how many games of all types are pretty much mirror images of each other.

I don't doubt for a second that they'll likely go after Activision next.

Then there's the whole thing with Gibson claiming that they own the patent for music games.
    And MTV Drumscape came out before Drum Mania...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Drumscape#Patents
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842812 said:
    Are you serious?

Are you f*cking kidding me?

Do you not understand the concept of stealing?

Technically, using a patent(without permission) is STEALING.

I don't care if you love the company who is stealing. STILL STEALING.
    Okay, I am just saying, this pisses me off, and I won't buy anything from them. If someone sued me, would I buy thier product? No.
  • xz falcon zxxz falcon zx Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Gryffindor;842756 said:
    Konami created a guitar simulator (Guitar Freaks) and a drum simulator (Drum Mania) long before Guitar Hero or Rock Band came along.

Harmonix and Konami used to work together on the Karaoke Revolution games but that partnership ceased about 2 games ago.

It's all going to come down to the patents. HMX has a patent on the strat but not on the drums.

As for the actual game play technology I doubt that would even be patentable considering how many games of all types are pretty much mirror images of each other.

I don't doubt for a second that they'll likely go after Activision next.

Then there's the whole thing with Gibson claiming that they own the patent for music games.
    I have played drum mania and am going to say that there is NOTHING similar between rock band and that game. Drum mania is a soft pad with 2 "cymbols" on either side. It doesn't even work well(doesn't detect hits..).
    Seriously, they have no similarities, not even the instruments are the same. Konami is just crying because harmonix's music games are twice what there's will EVER be.
  • SonofmoghSonofmogh Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    They're just mad because nobody likes DDR anymore... I certainly haven't played it.

I probably just made an ass out of my self. :o

Stupid frivolous lawsuits... what does this accomplish?

It makes them look bad in the gaming community...which I believe is where they're customers come from.

They probably are just playing a bluff hoping that HMX will settle and give them some money that they can use to develop their next P.O.S. game.

Hopefully HMX takes them to court and wins... that is too vague of a patent to own... in fact I thought Gibson guitars owned like the exact same patent and sued RO and HMX earlier... WTF??
    edited July 2008
    Sonofmogh;842835 said:
    They're just mad because nobody likes DDR anymore... I certainly haven't played it.

I probably just made an ass out of my self. :o

Stupid frivolous lawsuits... what does this accomplish?

It makes them look bad in the gaming community...which I believe is where they're customers come from.

They probably are just playing a bluff hoping that HMX will settle and give them some money that they can use to develop their next P.O.S. game.

Hopefully HMX takes them to court and wins... that is too vague of a patent to own... in fact I thought Gibson guitars owned like the exact same patent and sued RO and HMX earlier... WTF??
    It's stealing, if they did break the copyright patent.
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842837 said:
    It's stealing, if they did break the copyright patent.
    Hey, sometimes it's ok to commit a "crime". I mean, if a murderer comes into your house trying to kill you, and you kill him, then you are technically a murderer. They didn't break any copyright patent, because it ISN'T possible for a company to place a patent on every aspect of a genre.
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited July 2008
    jesus christ, come on already, they cant make a good music game(smashs the american idol karoake game) and now there mad and want some money to help them make that ugly band game they got coming up. get real. make your own damn copy, or just play rock band acty.
    edited July 2008
    Yea IF they broke it. I'd like to see a copy of this patent. The ONLY thing I can see is that they did make a Guitar Freaks/Drummania hybrid (ala RB minus the vocals) so that might be their only leg to stand on.
    edited July 2008
    Harmonix has every right to steal. Let's face it, konami has made crappy music games, and expects us to buy them. Harmonix, break as many laws as you want to make more quality games. Those stupid japanese are REALLY trying because thier crappy music games featuring latino pop failed.
  • gotjpeggotjpeg Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    I really hope they win and it changes the ways patent's can be hold. Patent squatting is a horrible horrible idea and I really hope something like this changes the ways patents can be held.
    edited July 2008
    xz falcon zx;842853 said:
    Harmonix has every right to steal. Let's face it, konami has made crappy music games, and expects us to buy them. Harmonix, break as many laws as you want to make more quality games. Those stupid japanese are REALLY trying because thier crappy music games featuring latino pop failed.
    Alright- let me come to your house and steal your stuff since my things are nicer.

Make it okay? No? Exactly.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2008
    lankyb;842817 said:
    And MTV Drumscape came out before Drum Mania...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Drumscape#Patents
    And the MTV Drumscape patents are now owned by Activision, because the person who held them now works for Activision. Plain and simple.

Konami's track record in these suits is rather mixed... but hasn't been much in their favor.

They sued Andamiro and F2 Systems over Pump It Up and Technomotion... and lost.

They got sued by MTV over DrumMania infringing on the Drumscape patents... and lost.

They sued Roxor over ITG... and won a settlement, largely due to some dishonest Roxor employees telling employee owners that ITG was the next DDR mix.

My bet is that some sort of a settlement is reached over licensing.
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842860 said:
    Alright- let me come to your house and steal your stuff since my things are nicer.

Sure, if you can prove it's better.

But look, it's not a thing. They AREN't similar,besides featuring(vaguely) similar instruments.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    if you look at guitarfreaks or drummania the way the chart is, the way notes go from top to bottom...the guitar controllers..as much as i love rock band im affraid konami may have a case
    edited July 2008
    Actually they didn't completely lose the Andamiro one. They literally sued them over the use of hold arrows (I'm not making this **** up). The result? The following PIU mix (Premiere 2 it was called) did not have a single hold arrow amongst any of the charts.
    edited July 2008
    They better not have a case, or thats no more rock band 2 for us. I'm sure SOMETHING could be worked out..*cocks gun*
  • edited July 2008
    Magic 8-ball, what is the future of the Karaoke Revolution series?

"Outlook not so good"
  • TB666TB666 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    By the sound of things, Konami really only got a shot at the vocal parts of the game.
    Everything else seems to be owned by Activision and since they haven't sued I'm pretty sure that a deal was made there.
    My guess Konami is no doubt nitpicking so they can get extra cash much like Gibson did.
    But I have no doubt that the lawyers at EA scanned through every patent there is just to make sure that they aren't doing anything wrong.
    Besides they are suing Viacom, not exactly a small company that they can push over.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2008
    Transbrak;842868 said:
    if you look at guitarfreaks or drummania the way the chart is, the way notes go from top to bottom...the guitar controllers..as much as i love rock band im affraid konami may have a case
    Guitar Freaks scrolls from bottom to top, sorry.
  • Orion.RockOrion.Rock Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Congrads Konami! Youve just joined my list of boy-cotted developers. Your welcome.
    edited July 2008
    xz falcon zx;842864 said:
    Sure, if you can prove it's better.

But look, it's not a thing. They AREN't similar,besides featuring(vaguely) similar instruments.
    All I am saying is- stealing doesn't suddenly become okay because you like who is doing it. (Potentially)

Orion.Rock;842895 said:
    Congrads Konami! Youve just joined my list of boy-cotted developers. Your welcome.
    Oh please- if you look at the terrible things that corporations do you wouldn't buy from anyone. At least they're suing on the premise of stealing.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited July 2008
    TB666;842886 said:
    By the sound of things, Konami really only got a shot at the vocal parts of the game.
    Everything else seems to be owned by Activision and since they haven't sued I'm pretty sure that a deal was made there.
    My guess Konami is no doubt nitpicking so they can get extra cash much like Gibson did.
    But I have no doubt that the lawyers at EA scanned through every patent there is just to make sure that they aren't doing anything wrong.
    Besides they are suing Viacom, not exactly a small company that they can push over.
    I pretty much agree with this. ^
  • TB666TB666 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    2 things is kinda strange.
    First this:
    Viacom spokeswoman Kelly McAndrew said the company hasn't received the complaint, so had no immediate comment.
    So they apperently got a lawsuit but never got it ??
    Weird.

And 2:
    This is the only source.
    Still nothing on IGN, Gamespot or other sites which were fast when it came to the Gibson story.
  • MExpos27MExpos27 Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842860 said:

Do you know anything about patents or are do you just want to rant for post after post about stealing? So many patents are filed that often extremely vague patents over a new technology get wrongly approved. You can't tell me you actually believe somebody should be able to file a patent that covers all simulated drumming, guitars, and vocals. That's just absurd.
This discussion has been closed.