"Konami Sues Viacom Over `Rock Band' Music Video Game"..... pfffft.

OKGostOKGost Opening Act
edited July 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
Taken from http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aHQODoKwFYrA&refer=japan
Konami Sues Viacom Over `Rock Band' Music Video Game (Update2)

By Susan Decker

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- Konami Corp., the Japanese creator of the ``Dance Dance Revolution'' music video game, sued Viacom Inc.'s Harmonix studio, claiming its ``Rock Band'' game violates patents.

The Konami patents, issued in 2002 and 2003, relate to simulated musical instruments, a music-game system and a ``musical-rhythm matching game.'' Konami also makes the ``Karaoke Revolution'' music game with microphones, as well as the ``Metal Gear Solid'' espionage game.

``Rock Band,'' the game in which players emulate rock and rollers with toy instruments, drove a 16 percent increase in first-quarter revenue at New York-based Viacom's media networks business. Konami's Digital Entertainment unit said in May it plans to begin selling its own rock band game, called ``Rock Revolution,'' later this year.

Konami is demanding cash compensation, plus an order that would block Viacom and Harmonix from using the inventions, according to the complaint, filed yesterday in federal court in Marshall, Texas. The suit names Harmonix Music Systems, Viacom, and Viacom's MTV Networks Co., which owns Harmonix.

Viacom spokeswoman Kelly McAndrew said the company hasn't received the complaint, so had no immediate comment.

Konami American depositary receipts, each representing one ordinary share, fell $1.67, or 5.2 percent, to $30.15 at 4:02 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have risen 26 percent in the past year. Viacom's Class B shares rose 22 cents to $28.12 and have dropped 32 percent in the past year.

The case is Konami Digital Entertainment Co. v. Harmonix Music Systems Inc., 08cv286, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (Marshall).

To contact the reporter on this story: Susan Decker in Washington at [email]sdecker1@bloomberg.net[/email].
They just hatin' in HMX for being the best. Haha.

Comments

• Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Oh please. They should've sued Red Octane over this in 2005.
  • Colt_SteeleColt_Steele Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Why are they not suing Neversoft in conjunction?
  • KylekillgannonKylekillgannon Rising Star
    edited July 2008
  • foolosophyfoolosophy Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Wikipedia said:
    Karaoke Revolution, and its many sequels are video games for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Nintendo GameCube, Wii, Xbox, and Xbox 360, developed by Harmonix Music Systems and Blitz Games and published by Konami in its Bemani line of music games. Technology and concepts from the game were subsequently incorporated into Harmonix's game Rock Band.
    Harmonix develops KR...
  • Samuel346Samuel346 Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;842611 said:
    So you're admitting it's wrong but mad at the timing?
    Colt_Steele;842612 said:
    Why are they not suing Neversoft in conjunction?
    I would imagine they will.
  • OKGostOKGost Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842604 said:
    ...If it broke patent- then they have a case. Whether you're a HMX fan boy or not.
    True. Sad but true. However, if that's the case, I agree with
    Julio_Strikes_Back;842604 said:
  • BearclawBearclaw Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Julio_Strikes_Back;842611 said:
    Exactly. It's not technically legal precedent because no previous lawsuits came up, but any judge can see the stupidity in their claim. Red Octane did it before HMX but never got sued.
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842621 said:

Or they're just going for going for quick cash.
  • ForgottenHeroForgottenHero Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Wait, I don't understand. Does this essentially mean that Konami owns the Rhythm Games genre?

This is like one company making a racing game and then suing other games coming out that are also racing games.

I know little of legal issus so I'm sure there's something I'm missing here, can someone help me out?

edit - 1300 posts woo hoo!
  • KeeblerKeebler Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Konami is just the next in line of a bunch of bitches trying to board the WAH train.
  • Maxyboy13Maxyboy13 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    ForgottenHero;842660 said:
    Wait, I don't understand. Does this essentially mean that Konami owns the Rhythm Games genre?

This is like one company making a racing game and then suing other games coming out that are also racing games.

I know little of legal issus so I'm sure there's something I'm missing here, can someone help me out?

edit - 1300 posts woo hoo!
    My thoughts exactly. Rhythm games are a genre and with that genre comes a set of standards. In the case of rhythm games, the standards are to have the falling jewels. I doubt Konami as any claims to make unless it is over the guitars infringing technology used in the Guitar Freaks guitar. THEN they would have a case.
    edited July 2008
    Kylekillgannon;842646 said:
    Or they're just going for going for quick cash.
    You're seriously going to yell at one company for being money driven when practically 300 million Americans are bred that way?
  • Maxyboy13Maxyboy13 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842684 said:
    You're seriously going to yell at one company for being money driven when practically 300 million Americans are bred that way?
    A little known fact is that 299,999 of them work for Activision.
  • ForgottenHeroForgottenHero Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842684 said:
    He's right, it's in our genes.... :(
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842684 said:
    Not gonna argue that there are 300 million douches in this country....I'm going to say that Konami are just being low.....
  • R4di4ti0nR4di4ti0n Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    How much you bet that they ran out of money for Rock Revolution and are trying to come up with ways to scrap together the cash?

Konami Rep 1: Awww, crap, were broke. We spent way tooo much on Avril Lavigne

Konami 2: Well, damn. What are we going to do? Sell girl scout cookies?

Kon 1: Yeah! And we can also sell those frozen dinners. Lets get the QA team to start going door to door now!

Solid Snake: *long, slow inhale of cigarette*. *longer, slower exhale* You guys are fairies. Lets just sue some bitches.
  • ASPSAXASPSAX Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842684 said:
    Sorry, but what do you have to gain by defending Konami? If they win this case that means less money for HMX to license bands with, and possibly blocking new peripherals. It's in the best interest of Rock Band players for HMX to come out ahead on this one, even if it's for our own personal benefit.
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Are they trying to sue because of the vocal portions? The impression I get is that they think (they may be right) HMX used the engine from KR as part of Rock Band. While this would be technically illegal if true, it would make a lot of sense from a timing standpoint. Even if it's not true they'd be similar, since it's the same people creating the same thing.

My guess: Konami will settle, accept license fees for all bundles sold, and quietly kill the Rock Revolution franchise in favor of something musical in a completely different direction.
    edited July 2008
    Kylekillgannon;842702 said:
    Not gonna argue that there are 300 million douches in this country....I'm going to say that Konami are just being low.....
    They're doing what any company would. I think the problem is people are considering it a "low blow" because they're doing it against a company/game we all love.
    ASPSAX;842722 said:
    Sorry, but what do you have to gain by defending Konami? If they win this case that means less money for HMX to license bands with, and possibly blocking new peripherals. It's in the best interest of Rock Band players for HMX to come out ahead on this one, even if it's for our own personal benefit.

Sorry but I won't delude myself or reality just because it benefits me.

It may hurt us as customers- but if it's right, then it's right. Nothing can change that fact.
  • fireshoesfireshoes Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Viacom will just snap its fingers and Konami will be bought. Then they will fire the jerk-off execs, and then sell Konami's brand name to some company that makes cell phone games. PWN3D.
  • GryffindorGryffindor Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    ASPSAX;842722 said:
    Konami created a guitar simulator (Guitar Freaks) and a drum simulator (Drum Mania) long before Guitar Hero or Rock Band came along.

Harmonix and Konami used to work together on the Karaoke Revolution games but that partnership ceased about 2 games ago.

It's all going to come down to the patents. HMX has a patent on the strat but not on the drums.

As for the actual game play technology I doubt that would even be patentable considering how many games of all types are pretty much mirror images of each other.

I don't doubt for a second that they'll likely go after Activision next.

Then there's the whole thing with Gibson claiming that they own the patent for music games.
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Konami heard about Activision wanting to corner the market on music games, and decided 'no, we're going to be the a**holes!' and of course the only company with integrity in between gets caught in the crossfire.
  • bse523bse523 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Well, Konami did this a couple of years ago when they felt DDR was being threatened by a better 4 panel dancing game (In The Groove), they sued. And won. ITG3 was supposed to have been released but this lawsuit put that to a halt. They didn't settle, the proved they owned the patent and won outright.

Although Viacom probably has a bit more financial power than RoXor did. I'm honestly surprised Konami didn't lay the legal hammer down right after Guitar Hero 1.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Well, I'll make sure to never buy anything from Konami I guess. Completely sours me (and will sour all my friends when I tell them) on thier products.
  • bse523bse523 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    They're the ones really guilty of trying to milk every last cent they can from crappy games. Yet people still buy their ****ty DDR home mixes, so I guess I can't completely blame Konami.
  • ChargedCharged Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    R4di4ti0n;842721 said:
    How much you bet that they ran out of money for Rock Revolution and are trying to come up with ways to scrap together the cash?

Konami Rep 1: Awww, crap, were broke. We spent way tooo much on Avril Lavigne

Konami 2: Well, damn. What are we going to do? Sell girl scout cookies?

Kon 1: Yeah! And we can also sell those frozen dinners. Lets get the QA team to start going door to door now!

Solid Snake: *long, slow inhale of cigarette*. *longer, slower exhale* You guys are fairies. Lets just sue some bitches.
    I highly doubt Konami is broke simply because of the massive MGS4 release that just took place a month ago.

Unless all that money went to Kojima Studios? Not sure.
  • JordanonfireJordanonfire Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Samuel346;842621 said:
    So you're admitting it's wrong but mad at the timing?

IF they even have a case (which I doubt they do) - it's pretty damned obvious they waited until they would get a great amount of money out of any suit.
    By delaying any action and not taking action against GH1 or 2, they basically gave HMX un-spoken permission to make these games.
    edited July 2008
    schmeankman;842795 said:
    Well, I'll make sure to never buy anything from Konami I guess. Completely sours me (and will sour all my friends when I tell them) on thier products.
    Are you serious?

Are you f*cking kidding me?

Do you not understand the concept of stealing?

Technically, using a patent(without permission) is STEALING.

I don't care if you love the company who is stealing. STILL STEALING.
  • Froggy21786Froggy21786 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    As far as timing goes, RB2 is in the works....maybe it has something to do with that instead of RB1?

There has to be some sort of patent violation for this to work for Konami, I don't know enough about the patents in question to speculate on what it could or could not be.

If they are trying to sue just because Rock Band is another game within the genre, they will lose. Something makes me think that isn't the case, Konami isn't stupid enough to take a case to court if they know they have no chance of winning it. They have got something on Rock Band/HMX or they wouldn't be going to court in the first place.
  • lankyblankyb Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Gryffindor;842756 said:
    Konami created a guitar simulator (Guitar Freaks) and a drum simulator (Drum Mania) long before Guitar Hero or Rock Band came along.

Harmonix and Konami used to work together on the Karaoke Revolution games but that partnership ceased about 2 games ago.

It's all going to come down to the patents. HMX has a patent on the strat but not on the drums.

As for the actual game play technology I doubt that would even be patentable considering how many games of all types are pretty much mirror images of each other.

I don't doubt for a second that they'll likely go after Activision next.

Then there's the whole thing with Gibson claiming that they own the patent for music games.
    And MTV Drumscape came out before Drum Mania...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Drumscape#Patents
This discussion has been closed.