Konami Sues Harmonix over Rock Band

arniejoltarniejolt Weird-Huey Lewis
edited July 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
Hmn...

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- Konami Corp., the Japanese creator of the ``Dance Dance Revolution'' music video game, sued Viacom Inc.'s Harmonix studio, claiming its ``Rock Band'' game violates patents.

The Konami patents, issued in 2002 and 2003, relate to simulated musical instruments, a music-game system and a ``musical-rhythm matching game.'' Konami also makes the ``Karaoke Revolution'' music game with microphones, as well as the ``Metal Gear Solid'' espionage game.

``Rock Band,'' the game in which players emulate rock and rollers with toy instruments, drove a 16 percent increase in first-quarter revenue at New York-based Viacom's media networks business. Konami's Digital Entertainment unit said in May it plans to begin selling its own rock band game, called ``Rock Revolution,'' later this year.

Konami is demanding cash compensation, plus an order that would block Viacom and Harmonix from using the inventions, according to the complaint, filed yesterday in federal court in Marshall, Texas. The suit names Harmonix Music Systems, Viacom, and Viacom's MTV Networks Co., which owns Harmonix.

Viacom spokeswoman Kelly McAndrew said the company hasn't received the complaint, so had no immediate comment.

Konami American depositary receipts, each representing one ordinary share, fell $1.67, or 5.2 percent, to $30.15 at 4:02 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have risen 26 percent in the past year. Viacom's Class B shares rose 22 cents to $28.12 and have dropped 32 percent in the past year.

The case is Konami Digital Entertainment Co. v. Harmonix Music Systems Inc., 08cv286, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (Marshall)

Article at Bloomberg.com:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aHQODoKwFYrA&refer=japan

Comments

• m00pm00p Banned
    edited July 2008
    Goodbye Rock Band 2....
  • DestnaruDestnaru Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Ohhhhhh,,,, that could be bad news.

I have to research that some more.
  • MacersMacers Unsigned
    edited July 2008
    Interetsing to see where this goes--I doubt anywhere though.
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited July 2008
    I think i'm gonna make a "National Chaos Thread"
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    They won't win. Its a bullshit lawsuit. For one thing, why the hell aren't they suing Guitar Hero? Why didn't they sue earlier? They just don't want attention taken away from their band game.
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Hungryfreak;843221 said:
    They won't win. Its a bullshit lawsuit. For one thing, why the hell aren't they suing Guitar Hero? Why didn't they sue earlier? They just don't want attention taken away from their band game.
    Exactly. If they were so worried, they would've sued earlier. Instead, they decide to sue a month or two after they reveal their band game and a few weeks after Rock Band 2 is announced. What a coincidence.
  • DestnaruDestnaru Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Hungryfreak;843221 said:
    It may be as you say but it could certainly keep things tied up for a while.
    Litigation is not cheap and it doesn't happen quickly.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2008
    Dicks. That's all I have to say.

If this is such a big deal why didn't they attack Guitar hero 1 when it came out 3 and a half years ago?

This is because their ****ty 'rock' game can't compete so they're trying to remove them from the equation.

And what about Guitar hero for that matter? Why aren't they going after them?
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2008
    As I said in the other thread, Konami is taking this path for two reasons.

1) Harmonix used to work with Konami... they parted ways, and Harmonix has been the far more successful one in the music game space.

2) Activision owns the MTV Drumscape patents, which, if opened up, are a veritable Pandora's Box.