Is Bob Dylan Punk?

NX013NX013 Road Warrior
edited June 2010 in History of Rock

Comments

• orange_blackorange_black Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Bob Dylan punk?

yes..... 100%

the purple mohawk and facial piercings give it away.

:rolleyes:
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Do you know what a joke thread is?
    You have just posted in one.

Yea this is for crack's insanity, thanks for your idiotic comments
  • leftover_crackleftover_crack Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    well he wanted to be woody guthrie, he even had people call him woody and woody guthrie was the original punk so to an extent he was punk
  • Chief StubbsChief Stubbs Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    leftover_crack;858477 said:
    well he wanted to be woody guthrie, he even had people call him woody and woody guthrie was the original punk so to an extent he was punk
    Ok, sorry NX. Anyway...
    Wow, crack, you're the one calling Bob Dylan punk? Have you ever heard a punk song? Have you ever heard a Bob Dylan song?
  • leftover_crackleftover_crack Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Chief Stubbs;858485 said:
    Ok, sorry NX. Anyway...
    Wow, crack, you're the one calling Bob Dylan punk? Have you ever heard a punk song? Have you ever heard a Bob Dylan song?
    well i wasn't saying his music is punk rock i was saying he was a punk which is what this thread is asking
    edited July 2008
    leftover_crack;858530 said:
    well i wasn't saying his music is punk rock i was saying he was a punk which is what this thread is asking
    This thread is mocking you, and anybody can be "a" punk. Little annoying kid down the street that asks too many damn questions? He's a punk. Dude that robs a liquor store? He's a punk. People who are high enough to consider Bob Dylan punk? You're probably a punk, too.
  • CM_DrunkCM_Drunk Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    NX013;858419 said:
    I think he is
    I truly hope you are joking with this thread and with your cute little hint speaking of the Ramones.
    leftover_crack;858477 said:
    Just because somebody sets themselves as anti authority doesnt make them punk. From previous threads and posts I have seen you in you may be a punker, and you may like alot of punk, but you truly have no concept of Punks roots, or what constitutes punk and poser.
  • NX013NX013 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    ^Dont worry about it stubbs

Anyway this makes Les Paul, who dropped out of high school punk.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I know this is a joke thread, but I agree with the concept that an artist who doesn't perform punk music can still be punk. There is punk rock, and there is punk. Bob Dylan may or may not be punk, but he most definitely isn't punk rock. Conversely there are artists that play punk rock music that don't have an ounce of punk in them.
  • Gargoyle2500Gargoyle2500 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Do I sense trolling?
    edited July 2008
    Gargoyle2500;858973 said:
    Do I sense trolling?
    No, that's actually a waterfall in the distance.
  • flop404flop404 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Chief Stubbs;858485 said:
    Ok, sorry NX. Anyway...

Actually, as far as enunciation and ability to sing in an absolutely not-understandable way goes, Bob Dylan definitely is punk :D:D
    edited July 2008
    King_Nuthin;858800 said:
    I know this is a joke thread, but I agree with the concept that an artist who doesn't perform punk music can still be punk. There is punk rock, and there is punk. Bob Dylan may or may not be punk, but he most definitely isn't punk rock. Conversely there are artists that play punk rock music that don't have an ounce of punk in them.
    I dont like the theory that if a musician is non conformist that means he is a "punk".

lol ****. I forgot I already said the same damn thing a few posts up. So I will try to make another point.

Saying Dylan is punk is like saying Dead Prez is Punk, or that Lennon was punk. I got nothing but respect for the music and lyrics Dylan wrote, but I would nevwer put him in the punk category.
    edited July 2008
    CM_Drunk;878565 said:
    I dont like the theory that if a musician is non conformist that means he is a "punk".
    I never used the words non-conformist. But there is a punk ethos. I think Bob Dylan is a reach, but that doesn't mean the idea is invalid.

I've been into punk for 22 years now and the "this is/this isn't" punk has been going on far longer than I've been around and is stupider than ****. I only chimed in because I think both sides in this debate are talking out of their asses.
    edited July 2008
    King_Nuthin;879369 said:
    I never used the words non-conformist. But there is a punk ethos. I think Bob Dylan is a reach, but that doesn't mean the idea is invalid.

I've been into punk for 22 years now and the "this is/this isn't" punk has been going on far longer than I've been around and is stupider than ****. I only chimed in because I think both sides in this debate are talking out of their asses.
    You're one to talk.
  • xerichx07xerichx07 Banned
    edited July 2008
    Is this a joke thread?
    edited July 2008
    xerichx07;879603 said:
    Is this a joke thread?
    Yeah. He mentions it somewhere on the first page that he was just making fun of Leftover Crack.
    edited July 2008
    Chief Stubbs;879396 said:
    You're one to talk.
    As if I need you for validation.
    edited July 2008
    King_Nuthin;879773 said:
    As if I need you for validation.
    So you've already validated yourself that you have your head shoved up your ass in this argument? How clever.
  • ODDwhunODDwhun Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Johnny Cash invented punk, he just didn't know it.
  • illgreenillgreen Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    What!? Bob Dylan? Punk?
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Most of his early songs were rally anti-establishment and all that so.... i guess that's kinda the heart and soul of the Punk genre. It just doesn't sound punk. I guess you could call it acoustic punk. Then there was that time he played his electric guitar and that pissed a lot of people off.... kinda a punk move. But then you get Mr. Tambourine man etc. and I don't think that could be interpreted as punk.
    I say yes and no. I can't really vote though.
    edited July 2008
    King_Nuthin;879369 said:

Perhaps. Arguing about what MUSIC is punk is one thing, if you ask me. But to debate that a folk singer is potentially "punk" due to his lyrics, or his attitude to me just doesnt make sense. At least to me.

I guess what im saying is, I believe "punk" should be a title used to describe music, not ones attitude or beliefs.

Feel free to debate, I like conversations like these. Im just hoping this thread doesnt turn into a bunch of 5th grade bickering, and thats where it seems like its headed.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Punk music is just Rockabilly with feedback.
    edited July 2008
    Your post and your sig are both signifigantly ignorant. FYI.
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited July 2008
    Please. Go away, and leave the forums alone!

Their better without you.
    edited July 2008
  • m00pm00p Banned
    edited July 2008
    CM_Drunk;880317 said:
    Who? ME?

:\
    No, the OP. He's been posting these type of threads non-stop. He's like the next Stewie..
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited July 2008
    m00p;881003 said:
    No, the OP. He's been posting these type of threads non-stop. He's like the next Stewie..
    Various people have been posting these types of threads, not just him.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited July 2008
    This is like asking "Is a cheeseburger a pancake?" It makes no sense.
This discussion has been closed.