Attention General Forum punk fans!

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited July 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
Everyone, please head over to this thread
and read
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61017&page=2 pages 2-5
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62778&page=4 pages 4-5
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50021&page=32 - last page

do any punk fans here in the general forums agree?

i need to know if im going insane or not

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Why do you let that kid get to you everybody here knows he thinks RATM is punk he has no leftover crack he smoked it all.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited July 2008
    mercuryshadow09;859259 said:
    Why do you let that kid get to you everybody here knows he thinks RATM is punk he has no leftover crack he smoked it all.
    he also said Megadeth and Metallica are punk, so is Marvin Gaye, Woodie Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Peter Paul & Mary, CCR...
    edited July 2008
    leftover_crack;858193 said:
    well being that thrash punk is fusion between metal and hard core punk megadeth and metallica are punk

nirvana was a punk band
    yes, he actually said that
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited July 2008
    If lyrics were all that defined punk, then it wouldn't be a big enough difference to merit an entire genre. It's the same reason why Christian Rock isn't actually a genre either.
    edited July 2008
    thank you for proving im not going insane, i needed to know what others thought
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited July 2008
    Wow, he's really dumb.

Hardcore Punk wasn't even a genre when Thrash was made.
    edited July 2008
    Ultimatum;864130 said:
    Wow, he's really dumb.

Hardcore Punk wasn't even a genre when Thrash was made.
    just note: this isnt a user-bashing thread, its a "is it even possible, im getting confused" thread
    edited July 2008
    How I've been suspended 4 times, but him not being suspended once is beyond me.
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited July 2008
    Ultimatum;864148 said:
    How I've been suspended 4 times, but him not being suspended once is beyond me.
    You are a bit harsh on your opinions which 99.9999% of the time are true facts...

Crack is just a moron who thinks his opinon > everyone else and thinks he can decide which genre a band is based on lyrics when a genre is formed due to song structure based on the musical elements of Harmony, melody, timbre, time, and other factors... lyrics are not one of those
    edited July 2008
    So, if I'm right, then why should that warrant a suspension?

Yes, I'm harsh, but unless if I outright insult you, I don't mean it personally.

I think we should take this to PMs, Zel. I think we've derailed this thread enough XD
  • ZeleiiZeleii Banned
    edited July 2008
    Yeah some other time I'm going to bed it's 2:30 here and I need to stay in my sleeping habits so I dont wake up late for work....

On topic : Punk is definatly defined by fast and high energy playing... if it were based on lyrics a lot of bands would be punk
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Both of these poll options are wrong. As I said in the original thread you're both off base.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I know him, I think this should just be let go. I mean we all really know that The Outlaws are Christian rock, andthe Clash are reggae.
  • SlivedCupWinnerSlivedCupWinner Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    I'll tell you one of the absolute best punk songs is the Les Wampas song we had as dlc, "Manu Chao" Read up on it if you haven't. It's awesome and truly punk.

As far as lyrical content, typically punk tends to speak out against excessive lifestyle, whether that be in government, money, music, etc.

As far as style, Punk music is stripped down (read: not over produced) and that is by design. Whether the 50's style of the Ramones or somethig harder like Misfits or Dead Kennedy's.

Anyway, I think the poll leans more to the musical style while mr. crack leans more to what the lyrics are saying. I can see where someone might think RATM is punk. Lyrically, they could be. But the musical style of the group is not punk.

I will say this, which leans more towards a21s perspective, if a group plays a stripped down style that sounds like punk, they typically are labeled punk. The Dead Milkmen are a good example there, they don't really sing about excessive lifestyles, but they sound punk. But "punk" lyrics don't distinguish the genre that the group falls in to, like the RATM or Woodie Guthrie examples.