drums and cymbals and gh:wt

sauhammsauhamm Opening Act
edited July 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
in gh:wt the drums have 5 inputs and the kick, all charted on screen ... not too shabby

in rb2 the drums have 4 inputs and the kick, just like in our beloved rb1

many have asked if the additional optional cymbals for rb2 are going to be charted

well, its looking like no...

im sure that plugging in a redundant cymbal is not going to feed back to the game and change the chart so that the crash or ride shows up different

looks as if gh:wt is going to have a 1up in the drumming department

at least on paper

cant wait to see all the play tests and impressions from e3 this week!

Comments

• VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    How does it have the 1up? All the notes are still charted, just using less "notes"

Without this, you wouldn't have and RB1 songs or old DLC

So no, they don't have anything up.
  • sauhammsauhamm Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    really? you cant see how gh drums are on paper better than rb drums?

ok ignore the kick cause they both have that...

in rb there are 4 charted pad inputs, 4 lines scrolling down the screen right?

ride tom crash snare etc, all on the pads

in gh:wt there are 5 charted inputs, snare tom tom cymbal cymbal

the two cymbals are actually charted as opposed to being optional

so in rb when a green note comes along, you have the option of playing the pad or the cymbal - i dont know about you, but on a real drum set if you want a crash you dont have the option of hitting a tom and vice versa

but in gh:wt the cymbals are part of the set, not optional - you're charted to actually reach up and hit the crash or the ride or whatever

so when a blue comes along, its a tom and it always will be, when yellow comes along you'll always reach up and hit that cymbal

certainly you can see how that is more accurate and therefore 1up on rb

dude im part of the forums here, i love rb, have had it since launch - im not bashing it

facts are facts... on paper, gh:wt drums are laid out better and will be a more realistic experience
  • Kaptankrunch92Kaptankrunch92 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    well yes a no, they GH set will be more realistic CYMBAL wise, however when it comes to the toms, not so much...it's gonna be hella hard to chart a fill with snare, AND three toms when you only have three pads, think about the fills in run to the hills, they would be impossible to chart with three pads and hitting a cymbal in the middle of a few rolls on the toms with NOT feel right at all.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Actually, I'd say on paper the Rock Band drums are better.
    I've already posted about it once, and I don't feel like repeating it all here, but with 3 pads doing double-duty on the rock band set, it has more possible input options than the guitar hero set (sure it has 5 pads, but the cymbals can't exactly operate as toms, can they? 2 cymbals for one drum pad isn't a fair trade).
    Think about it.
  • ForgottenHeroForgottenHero Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    RB "Pads" are not limited to a drum or a cymbal. Hence, RB2 has the 1up.
  • memphusmemphus Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    GH drums blow because the cymbals are in fixed positions.

At least with the new RB set I can put my hi-hat left of my snare.
  • gamrrpolgamrrpol Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Ah, the fanboys come out.
  • BakksterBakkster Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/hmxspraynwipe/379911

"Q: "RE: DRUMS AND ANNOUNCED CYMBALS
    I understand the optional cymbals are just secondary inputs for the existing pads, but what about during fills and the "drum trainer" modes? Will those two things recognize the cymbals as unique inputs or will every part of RB2 just recognize the cymbal attachments as secondary pads?" - babywolf

A: While they're mapped to the same colors for the note charts, the Drum Trainer and fills in-game treat these surfaces are unique - hitting the yellow cymbal triggers a hi-hat, and hitting the yellow pad plays a tom. Same goes for all the inputs on the Ion kit and other third-party kits in development."
  • swings1940swings1940 Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    gamrrpol;865984 said:
    Ah, the fanboys come out.
    They threw in valid facts as to why they feel Rockband has better drum pads then guitar hero world tour... If all you have to say is the fanboys come out then you do not have a valid opinion and probably are a fanboy yourself. My friend says that to me, A DRUMMER who knows that both sets are toys, but one toy stands out more because it has more toms IMO.

Don't use epic win/fail, fanboy, etc... please...
    edited July 2008
    what does your basic drum set come with?

a snare, 2 toms, a kick and a few cymbals right?

as far as how 'hard' that's going to be...

if hard = realistic then yes, it's going to be more difficult than the rb setup

and it's cool that the trainer and the fills of a song know that a tom is different than a cymbal - but during the meat of the game, the gameplay of the songs does not

during a song [not during a fill] a green pad is the same as a green cymbal

why does everyone take these posts so personal... like you designed the game and its an affront to you?

i understand and value opinions but guys, calm down, have some dip [the late great G.C.]

both rb2 drums and gh:wt drums are going to be awesomenessableation

personally i cant wait!
  • sorgensorgen Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    yeah guitar hero drums are better....

this isn't flamebait or anything, just saying they seem a lot more realistic.
  • princeofcups777princeofcups777 Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    We will see about the gameplay on the GH drums once we can actually play them, but right now it is obvious which the new customers will gravitate towards. Put a set of RB drums next to a set of GH drums, and which would you want? The ones with the cymbals of course. They just look more like real drums.
  • absolutzeroabsolutzero Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I would imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to create new 'notes' thus giving each cymbal a unique purpose. Keep in mind I know nothing as to how the music engine is implemented but here's the general concept in my head--pairing 2 or more notes together to form a new note (e.g. red, green and blue call the new note purple, whatever) and program the cymbal to trigger the red, green and blue at once. Yeah it's a bit hacky but I'm just saying there may be possibilities.
  • v1g1lance1v1g1lance1 Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    this isn't flamebait or anything, just saying they seem a lot more realistic.
    I think just the opposite. Limiting the toms was a seriously bad idea IMO, and it's been pointed out how awkward fills are going to be.

What seemed like a good idea at first, is turning out to be poorly thought out. Activision got it wrong IMO.

Peace,
    Ian
    edited July 2008
    v1g1lance1;867186 said:
    I think just the opposite. Limiting the toms was a seriously bad idea IMO, and it's been pointed out how awkward fills are going to be.

What seemed like a good idea at first, is turning out to be poorly thought out. Activision got it wrong IMO.

Peace,
    Ian

im confused as to what you mean by 'limiting' the toms

on a drum set, a drum makes one sound, if its a 10" tom it sounds like a 10" tom

so if by limiting then you mean making each pad act like 1 drum then i guess it's quite well limited

but having 1 pad be a snare and always a snare is a little thing call realism, not a limitation

sure rolls from snare to tom to cymbal are going to be difficult, just like they are on a real drum set, cowboy up! :D

just throw the better or worse argument right out the window - because opinions run way too high here

my whole point was the gh:wt drums are more realistic - they better represent actual drumming

that is a fact and is not biased or opinionated

if or not you like that or care or whatever is moot - the fact remains that gh:wt has a realism point over rb when it comes to the drums
  • orange_blackorange_black Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    might as well throw my two cents in.....

the fact that GH's kit has 2 cymbals does nothing for me... as the RB2 kit will have the option for me to have the same.

however.... GH's kit only has 3 toms.... my RB kit will have 4 toms.

math 101:

4>3

we havent even seen RB's cymbal attachments yet... maybe they kick ass like the ion's... (prolly not) but we'll see.... as for GH's cymbals...

yuck... look about at nice as the drum structure itself.... : like a table with round pads on it.

at least the RB drums resemble roto-toms if nothing else.

:)
  • orange_blackorange_black Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    sauhamm;867379 said:
    if or not you like that or care or whatever is moot - the fact remains that gh:wt has a realism point over rb when it comes to the drums
    there is ONE... and ONLY ONE.... point that will define which drumset gives the more "realistic" experience:

charting

and quite honestly... i thought HMX did a fantastic job with RB1.

:)