XBOX or PS3

JerryWBJerryWB Opening Act
edited July 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
Been thinking about selling my ps3 lately since the only reason i use it for is rock band. I would buy it again for my xbox360, but does anyone have any idea which system has the most user base? If xbox has more users then my decision is easy. Plus with RB2 coming out for xbox earlier it would kinda be nice. Anyone have any input on this?

Comments

• XisuthrosXisuthros Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    Xbox has a way bigger user base, but if you only play Rock Band its not worth it to sell both the PS3 and RB just to get a 360 imo
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited July 2008
    ... willing to jump ship for two months?

Man, gamers are really turning into a farce as a whole... ready to jump at a whim, from things like the FFXIII non-exclusive to two months earlier.

I am not getting an Xbox this generation, but they've proven that they will mostly dominate the market by buying exclusives etc. and hurting no one but gamers... but that is winning at the moment for this ADD ridden generation of FPS hugging teenagers.

That being said, it's looking like next generation will be an Xbox720 and a PS4 for me.

PS: You need to get a big TV, and start buying some blu-rays.
  • RokkstarRokkstar Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I wonder if a console ware may rise out of this post lol
  • JerryWBJerryWB Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    maybe i didnt make myself clear enough. I have xbox360 AND ps3. im thinkin about selling my ps3 cause i dont use it at all except for rock band. I just wanted to see which system had the most users before doing so. But if xbox does have more, then i think im definitly gonna do it

and yes flawless i have a HDTV samsung 1080p :)
    edited July 2008
    Why would you sell it though? That just blows my mind...

Buy a big TV and use it as a Blu-Ray player.. why so many PS3 owners over look this is way beyond crazy... I'm guess it's a lack of a decent home theatre system though.

... oh well, I'm out of here before the inevitable console flame war .... [People can't help themselves, after all there's a lot less gamers these days.]

GET BLU RAYS THEN!!$%#^*& Damn I can't get people who say DVD is just as good... it hurts.
  • XisuthrosXisuthros Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    If you dont play PS3 exclusive games like MGS4 and Little Big Planet and dont use the BlueRay I would sell it yeh
  • VenturaVentura Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Flawless;864709 said:
    GET BLU RAYS THEN!!$%#^*& Damn I can't get people who say DVD is just as good... it hurts.
    In all fairness, you do need a huge screen to get the most out of Blu-Ray. On the average screen most people would be hard put to tell the difference. It's still very much enthusiast stuff.

There's only so much time you can spend watching movies too, which, in general, won't compare to the many, many, many hours you can put into Rock Band.

The 360 is the premier platform for Rock Band. I only have it for the ps3 because it's the only version of the two that's region-free.
    edited July 2008
    ... oh believe me, I know... that's why I was harping 'get a big TV'.

I try to only rent movies now that are on Blu-ray... gets hard living in the middle of no where ... in Canada. :|

Okay, I'm really out of here now ... it's coming, hunker down.
  • FrederfFrederf Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    I'm not a big HD home theatre buff so I'd never use the PS3 for that. Basically if you don't want a PS3 for the handful of things is does better than other systems, then yeah. Xbox 360 is Rock Band's golden child.
  • FaustttFausttt Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Flawless;864694 said:
    ... willing to jump ship for two months?

Man, gamers are really turning into a farce as a whole... ready to jump at a whim, from things like the FFXIII non-exclusive to two months earlier.

I am not getting an Xbox this generation, but they've proven that they will mostly dominate the market by buying exclusives etc. and hurting no one but gamers... but that is winning at the moment for this ADD ridden generation of FPS hugging teenagers.

That being said, it's looking like next generation will be an Xbox720 and a PS4 for me.

PS: You need to get a big TV, and start buying some blu-rays.
    first of all, how are they hurting all gamers? ps3 has to wait 2 whole months for rock band? xbox now has games that were exclusively ps3 on both systems? (which btw it didnt sound like Microsoft bought S.E., they just went where the sales are) i fail to see how this is hurting anyone. Sony just wasted all their money buying movie studios to back blu-ray so they dont have enough left to buy back exclusive games. Would you be complaining if Sony got a previously exclusive xbox title? doubt it.

I own both systems (and ps2, and 1, and wii, and pretty much every major system since atari except neogeo) so i am not a fanboy for either. I do however like the games on xbox quite a bit more (only really 2-4 games i like on ps3) and if it wasnt for the few exclusives on the ps3, i wouldnt own it. Not to mention pretty much everyone of my friends is also on xbox, so if i prefer playing with friends rather than RANDOM_ANNOYING_KID_12, i need to play on my xbox.

as far as blur-ray, there is entire threads that could be started over that issue, but needless to say, sony hasnt had a successful format. . . well. . .ever iirc. (i know some people still use beta but not mainstream) . . and with the increase in popularity in online streaming/downloaded media its only a matter of time before people realize blu-ray will be obsolete, maybe even before it hits mainstream acceptance. With the inclusion of netflix on xbox, they are just facilitating the transition to pure online/streaming media. in this day and age of DVR's, apple tv, itunes, etc. I think you will find thats the way of the future. as far as HD, the only thing holding that back is bandwidth. with many VOD's already coming out with HD vod and internet services like verizon FIOS offering 50 meg service (soon to be 100 in some areas) thats wont be a hurdle for much longer.

markets evolve, games evolve, we as gamers, also need to evolve.
    edited July 2008
    How are they NOT hurting gamers... exclusives by themselves are NOT a problem, you'll never catch me saying the opposite, perhaps it came out wrong but in this case, causing a delay due to exclusivity on a sequel to a game that is already out on multi-platforms hurts no one but us.

As far as how EVERYONE seems to think streaming/downloadable content is the future is way beyond me. The extreme mass majority of people don't have access to enough download speeds to make this plausable. Also when you DL high def content at the moment it will not even hold a candle to a disc based medium. Also, people like me enjoy having physical copies of stuff they own. Blu-ray is this generation, the next generation MAYBE will be DL/Streaming.

Argue all you want, but I'm going to go back to getting Youtube videos for the Setlist for Rock Band 2 with my massively here-and-now 30kb/sec download speeds.

... if it's not clear, again I'm not in a console war ... more or less a format war, lol. I think the 360 has personally made me think about their product next generation, or even this one when it's cheaper. Again, to clarify I'm not bashing a system.
  • JerryWBJerryWB Opening Act
    edited July 2008
    <--- started a war from just asking which system had the most users >< lolz
  • FaustttFausttt Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    Flawless;864823 said:
    How are they NOT hurting gamers... exclusives by themselves are NOT a problem, you'll never catch me saying the opposite, perhaps it came out wrong but in this case, causing a delay due to exclusivity on a sequel to a game that is already out on multi-platforms hurts no one but us.

As far as how EVERYONE seems to think streaming/downloadable content is the future is way beyond me. The extreme mass majority of people don't have access to enough download speeds to make this plausable. Also when you DL high def content at the moment it will not even hold a candle to a disc based medium. Also, people like me enjoy having physical copies of stuff they own. Blu-ray is this generation, the next generation MAYBE will be DL/Streaming.

Argue all you want, but I'm going to go back to getting Youtube videos for the Setlist for Rock Band 2 with my massively here-and-now 30kb/sec download speeds.

... if it's not clear, again I'm not in a console war ... more or less a format war, lol. I think the 360 has personally made me think about their product next generation, or even this one when it's cheaper. Again, to clarify I'm not bashing a system.
    You also forget you are not the world. America isnt the world. But even in america download speeds are getting faster and faster (30/5 is available right now in my city (not yet to my house tho)) so thats just a temporary roadblock. Japan already has 100M pretty standard. speeds like those make that much more capable. Not to mention those that convert their existing library. You are right its not commonplace yet, i am just saying that the netflix/xbox move is a step in the right direction and that hopefully, blur-ray finds its place in the mainstream market before any of these emerging trends (or new ones we havent seen yet) catch up and exceed it.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited July 2008
    In before console war! :p
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2008
    Ventura;864720 said:
    In all fairness, you do need a huge screen to get the most out of Blu-Ray. On the average screen most people would be hard put to tell the difference. It's still very much enthusiast stuff.
    Bad eyesight? 480p and 1080p is a very noticeable difference even on my 24" LCD, even with upscaling DVDs...

...of course, I've also seen people who can't tell the difference on a 65" DLP, so who knows?
  • FallenAceFallenAce Eater of Fine Cheeses
    edited July 2008
    You guys have to keep in mind that we look for these details. Go ask your mom or dad if they can tell the difference between a high-def movie and a standard movie. Some of our parents complain when movies have the "damned black bars" on the top and bottom. My father claims he can tell the difference when they send the HD signal down to his non-HD TV on a non-HD channel. I don't expect him to be able to tell the difference between Clive Owen shooting down 300 guys in 480i versus Clive Owen shooting down 300 guys in 1080p when he can't even tell he's on the wrong channel to be receiving an HD signal.

We're enthusiasts; and as is nigh-always the case with enthusiasts: we do not make up the majority of the market. You'll need to wait, unfortunately, until our kids, raised by elitists (us), are old enough to demand the functionality to be increased. By then, we won't be able to tell the difference between Blu-Ray and laser-television and we'll be complaining about how back in our day, it only cost us $56.00 to fill our gas tanks and our cars had wheels. In fact, there was no such a thing as a space car or lasercycle! But I digress.

And as far as disc versus digital distribution, I prefer disc. Call me old-fashioned, but I like the modulation, because I don't feel like I'm wasting my precious hard disk space.

What about you?
  • Colt_SteeleColt_Steele Road Warrior
    edited July 2008
    Flawless;864709 said:
    Buy a big TV and use it as a Blu-Ray player.. why so many PS3 owners over look this is way beyond crazy...
    Maybe because they wanted a.....you know, one a those.....gaming consoles. I don't have any deep-seated resentment for PS3 or its users, but I keep running into this same mentality. Not everyone has an 80k a year job that permits them to throw money away on a decent-sized hdtv and home theater system after dropping the wad of bills it takes to buy into this generation of console gaming. I have other hobbies and getting myself in debt just to be able to properly enjoy(what I consider to be)Sony's current feeble software lineup and the life changing experience of Blu-ray simply isn't worth it.[/rant]

But if all that is readily available to you, more power to you. Just try to look at it from someone else's perspective if they seem to wonder about the grass on the other side of the fence.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited July 2008
    Every step the 360 makes forward is one more step toward killing off the PC as a gaming platform. That's what bothers me... Microsoft's 360 work has come at the expense of their PC gaming division.
  • BYCBYC Rising Star
    edited July 2008
    You need to seriously consider all the facts before making a switch.

360 has a bigger base in the USA, but not so much elsewhere. MS is HEAVILY focused on Xbox Live online play, which is great if you are into that. MS is getting lots of cross-platform games, so exclusivity isn't a major problem for the most part. I seriously doubt PS3 will make a comeback. They're gonna be doing well enough, but there's no way they'll get the PS2 magic back for this generation. 360 does have hardware problems that beyond the normal crappy parts that Sony PS and PS2 had in the past. Just this weekend my 360 Elite's video card died. I didn't even get the RRoD.

I definitely recommend you ask around on various forums and read the INTELLIGENT responses. A problem that some games face is that due to the prices of the new systems (except Wii), owning all systems isn't as easy as PS/Saturn/N64 and PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generations.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited July 2008
    Colt_Steele;866459 said:
    Maybe because they wanted a.....you know, one a those.....gaming consoles.
    I agree with this point. I just want my gaming console to play games. I don't need it to play movies (that's what my DVD player is for), or connect to my PC (that's what my PC is for), or surf the internet (that's what my PC is for). Strip all that crap out of there and make it cheaper and less prone to breakdowns.

Both companies are just as guilty of making me pay for stuff I'll probably never use, but since Sony decided I had to have a Blu Ray player stuffed into my $600 gaming console, I went with the 360.
This discussion has been closed.